Second Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Second Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

#181 Post by Bloodaxe »

Saeros Silversword

Saeros nods at the burly fighter.
We should get the others. There is an exit. We can spike the secret door and rest. The wounded need care.

The Elf then searches the cave for treasures. The bag/bed first,then the large pile of bones, then the rest of the cave. Then for other secret doors or hidden passages. Lastly the exit/daylight.

=============

ooc- I assumed Saeros is oblivious to whats going on in the other room since he is in the secret room scouting.
we better all get in here and spike the door. Care for the wounded.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third hears the commotion from outside the cave.

"Into the cavern, y'all!" he calls to those outside. If they comply, he says, more softly, "Now get up against the wall." He spins an illusion of the party fleeing through the cave exit. He also creates an illusory cave wall a few feet in front of the real wall. If the goblins chase the group, they should see what looks like the party fleeing a now empty cave.

Cast Phantasmal Force.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#183 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham will help move Kyle and head for the secret passage, hoping that the gnome knows what he is doing .

Not sure of visibility right now. All attacks were blind last round. Hopefully the kid took a few of them down with him.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#184 Post by Scott308 »

Eglistrum Paharis

The mage will follow the group into the cave, positioning himself near the wall as requested while he attempts to tend Kyle's wounds.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#185 Post by Spartakos »

21st of Shining, 1:45 pm

Hearing the commotion, Cormac returns to the cave and helps Sham with the fallen Kyle, as well as grabbing the ogre's axe, hauling both into the new cave. Kal carries Lardo, and the rest of the party hustles through the secret door as well, Geert coming last to cover the retreat.

In the ogre's cave, Saeros has just started to investigate the ogre's bag when Ampersand tells everyone to get against the wall, and weaves his illusion, hoping to fool any pursuit.

Before long, a tight group of goblins does venture through the secret door. 3 goblin warriors lead the way, javelins held ready to throw. Behind them come a pair of burly goblins in scale tunics, carrying shortbows with arrows nocked. Behind them is a very tall goblin, nearly 5' in height; he wears a mail shirt and flaring helm, and carries a polished metal shield and a short, heavy cudgel of black wood. Pacing at his side is a huge wolf in a spiked collar. Behind him, guarding his back, are a pair of goblin females; they wear short dresses, not armor, but carry wooden shields and shortswords like they know how to use them. Bringing up the rear is a quartet of goblin warriors, with javelins and axes.

When they see what looks like the group just fleeing out of the tunnel to outside, they rush in pursuit, but do not follow beyond the cave mouth. Instead, grumbling, they return to the secret door. The wolf seems to balk momentarily, sniffing and growling, but the big goblin whacks it with his club, and it heels and comes with him. The secret door rumbles closed after them.

With the threat passed, the group sees to various tasks. Eglistrum had quietly checked on Kyle's condition, and found him bleeding and in shock, but not mortally injured (death check of 4, you guys have been lucky lately; once again, he'll be unconscious until he recovers 1 HP).
Death check for Kyle: [1d4] = 4

Geert assists Saeros in checking the ogre's bed and bag. The bed is just a mount of leaves and boughs piled under the bearskin, and holds nothing of interest. The bag is of considerable interest; it is heavy, a bit over a hundred pounds by estimate. The contents are several smaller sacks, which hold a variety of things.
  • a sack of silver coins (200-300 estimate)
  • a large wheel of hard cheese
  • a sack of electrum coins (around 100)
  • a sack of gold coins (200-300 estimate)
  • a keg of brandy
  • another sack of gold coins (200-300 estimate)
After inventorying this find, the elf chooses to rummage through the disgusting pile of offal in the corner. This messy chore is most unpleasant, but does yield mysterious rewards...hidden at the bottom is a clay bottle with a wax-sealed stopper, and a scroll case of bone with copper caps at either end. The downside is that he now smells disgusting, and his shining armor is covered with filth.

A search of the rest of the cave turns up nothing of interest, and no other exits or passages, secret or otherwise.

Actions?

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#186 Post by Bloodaxe »

Saeros Silversword

The Elf holds his prizes aloft for the others to see. ....... A bottle and a scroll case. But sighs at the mess.....

Someone spike the door shut. Perhaps we can rest here for the night.

Searos examines the bottle and opens the scroll case and looks at whatever is inside.

He then cleans off as best he can with water from his water skin. Bandaging his wound in his back.

He opens and attempts to read the scroll or at least identify it.
Saeros then takes a tiny sip of the potion.

===============

ooc- how do you work identifying possible potions? taking a sip?
Last edited by Bloodaxe on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#187 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cormac "I've got no spikes to spike the door shut with. Good finds though I'd not wish to smell like filth so someone else can have the spoils of your searching." the burly warrior will take a position out of sight of the exit of the cave to make sure nothing comes in the front.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#188 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham gives a look of new appreciation towards the gnome. Then claps Saeros on the back for the treasure he dug up.
"I say we rest here, if we can. The goblins know about the door, but they probably keep their distance from that brute. They probably got that prisoner back as well, the tricky bastard."

Sham has a hammer, but no spikes. If nobody has any, is there something we could use as a substitute?

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#189 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Having gotten Sham back on his feet, Henry turns his attention to Lardo and Kyle, pulling then aside and making them comfortable. As Sham talks about the lack of spikes, Henry says "I believe that Lardo may have some spikes in his gear... let me check."

Henry offers his waterskin to the odorous Saeros with a grimace and says "Sorry, I hope this helps."

OOC: Henry will focus on tending to the wounded, leaving guard duty to the others.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#190 Post by Spartakos »

21st of Shining, 2:00 pm

At Henry's suggestion, Sham checks Lardo's gear, and sure enough, finds some iron spikes. With a few sure blows of his hammer, he drives a brace of them into the rock wall near the edge of the secret door, positioned so the door will jam against them if it tries to swing open.

Saeros tries to read the scroll, but finds it is priestly magic; while he can make out the names of the gods, he isn't familiar with their spells and rituals. Henry takes a look; it contains healing prayers to Hyperion and a chant of command invoking Enlil.
(The scroll holds Cure Light Wounds and Hold Person)

Saeros also tries a tiny sip of the potion, which is oily and sweet; he feels a chill throughout his body, then watches his hands grow dim and transparent, fading away before his eyes, then fading back into view after a short while.

Cormac takes up a position where he can guard the tunnel entrance, while Henry tends to the wounded. Lardo and Kyle are stable, but he can do little for them at this point other than wait for them to come to.
(It's been only a short while since they were injured; it will be 1d4 hours for each before they are back on their feet with 1 HP. How long do you wish to rest?)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#191 Post by KingOfCowards »

We have to at least wait until Lardo and Kyle are up, we can't exactly carry them around. I would also suggest our spellcasters get enough rest to regain their spells. That leaves Sham and Cormac on guard duty for now, but I think we should be relatively safe.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#192 Post by Spartakos »

FYI, Geert can also join you on guard duty, and Kal can help.

It's mid-afternoon...I'm willing to say that if the spellcasters rest for 8 hours and catch at least some sleep in that time, they can rememorize spells (I also don't think it should take a whole hour just to rememorize one 1st level spell; how's ten minutes per spell level sound to everyone?). Just keep in mind it would be 10:00 pm at that point, assuming you are able to rest that long without being interrupted.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#193 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Having the extra guard assistance is good it would be nice for Cormac to rest as well ever so often so he can attempt to regain some HP since he is injured.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#194 Post by Bloodaxe »

Saeros Silversword

Searos will look at the cheese and brandy, to see if its edible, or valuable. He will then help divide up the coins so the group can carry them out.
The Elf then tends the wound in his back and gets some rest , so he can memorize SLEEP. He grabs a spot to rest with blade nearby.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#195 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Henry rolls the scroll back up and places it securely in the tube. He holds the tube aloft and says "I don't think this is useful to anyone else, I'm going to tuck it away for an emergency." Assuming no one objects, he'll stow it for quick retrieval.

In the meantime, he will pray for another healing spell so he can heal Lardo, then Kyle assuming we have time for it. He'll happily take some of the food and fill his belly, pausing to ensure Kyle and Lardo have a share handy as well.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#196 Post by Scott308 »

Eglistrum Paharis

Eglistrum will take the opportunity to eat and rest before studying his spellbook and memorizing a new spell.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#197 Post by Spartakos »

A few notes regarding healing:
--Natural healing is 1d3 HP per full day of rest; I define a full day of rest as an entire day (12-16 hours) either preceded or followed by a good night's sleep (at least 8 hours), with the day spent doing nothing but recuperating and eating 3 good meals. It cannot be done in a stinking ogre cave with enemies all about, while fully armed and armored, chewing iron rations.
--Saeros, you have mentioned tending your wound a few times now, so perhaps you think I'm ignoring it (apologies, if so). In Labyrinth Lord, there is no way to restore HP aside from rest or magical healing. You have examined your wound, determined its not life-threatening, and that's pretty much it until you receive a day of rest or a cure spell.

21st of Shining, 10:00 pm

While they wait for Lardo and Kyle to recover from their injuries, Saeros separates out the individual bags of coin, and checks the quality of the cheese and wine. The cheese is fairly ordinary, but sharp and tasty. The brandy is of excellent quality, and would probably fetch a good price (or get one very drunk, very fast).

(Please note who is carrying the various sacks of coins, which I described above, and the brandy if taking it. Henry is carrying the scroll; is Saeros hanging onto the potion, at least for now?)

After munching some rations, Henry, Ampersand, Eglistrum, and Saeros all settle down on stretch of floor they brushed clean, to try and catch some sleep. The rest of the group waits restlessly, on guard against the approach of any more monsters.
(Henry and Saeros, keep in mind you have to take off your armor to get restful sleep.)

After a couple hours, Lardo groans and stirs. With some aid and a few pulls off his wineskin, Lardo is soon on his feet, if a bit shaky. Later still, Kyle comes to; he is pale from blood loss and even shakier than Lardo, but with a thick bandage he is able to move, and his jaw is clenched with a determined look.
Recovery time Lardo: [1d4] = 2
Recovery time Kyle: [1d4] = 4
Both are at 1 HP, but fully able to function normally.

The group continues to while away the hours in the ogre's disgusting and pestilent lair, conserving their strength while the spellcasters get fiftul sleep and recuperate their magical energies. The cave grows ever more dim as the sunlight fades, until Kal strikes a torch so you are not sitting in the dark. Eventually, the trio of sorcerers and the lone holy man awaken again, groggy at first, but rested. After wetting their parched throats, they take some time to pray to the gods or study their esoteric formulae in the torchlight.
(Cure Light Wounds for Henry, Sleep for Saeros...Eglistrum and Ampersand, are you changing your spells prepared?)

It is about this time that they notice a sound from outside...the sound of voices, raised in a chant. It does not sound especially near.

Actions?

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#198 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Lardo rubs his aching ribs and looks about the disgusting cave. "What happened, Henry?" he asks hoarsely. "Did we get that thing's head?" He's already thinking about trading up in the trophy department.

Hearing the faint chanting, he moves toward the mouth of the cave. Staying well concealed, he looks out to see if he can spot the source of the chants, or make out any of the language (if it's in Common) being used.
Failure is always an option.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#199 Post by Bloodaxe »

Saeros Silversword

Saeros will carry a sack of gold coins.

Lets decide who will carry the loot. Perhaps we should go back to The Keep. We have several badly wounded comrades. We need a few days rest.
That brandy looks valuable, we could also sell it. I cant see that it would be a good idea to go on with several of us wounded and burdened with sacks of coins.
Should we head back?

He puts on his armor and grabs his sword and pack.
-------------------

Seeing the Thief-Scout- Expert Treasure Hunter go off, he follows behind. He taps him lightly on the shoulder and hands him the bottle, whispering.
Invisibility

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#200 Post by Spartakos »

From the mouth of the ogre cave, all Lardo can make out is that the chant sounds religious in nature, but not in a friendly or joyous fashion, and is probably being made by anywhere from 3-6 people. He can also see flickers of light coming from further down the rift (to the west)...if he had to guess, he would figure a bonfire is lit somewhere in that direction, but its around the curve of the canyon walls.

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”