Second Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Second Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

#201 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cormac "Remember what the goblin prisoner had said? Might the chanting be from that human cult that worshiped some dead dragon thing or whatever it was? That or maybe it's the hobgoblins. However at any rate I think once we can safely get out of here we aught to head back to the keep with the bounty from the ogre cave if we can slip back through and get the ogre's head that might be worth it as well. Head back to the keep rest get healed and restocked up and come back maybe take out these goblins or the hobgoblins unless we are clever enough to trick the two parties into an open war they could take each other out for us." the warrior will grab one of the bags of coins and help carry it.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#202 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham nods at Cormac, "I was thinking the same thing. It might be that human cult making the racket. I think we'd be smart to wait until they finish whatever it is that they are doing."

Probably not a terrible plan to leave soon. It seems like we are on borrowed time with all the injuries we currently have.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#203 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Henry scolds Lardo for his foray to the cave mouth. "LARDO! Come back here! You've almost gotten killed more times than I can count, please be careful!" Henry shakes his head and says "The gods have shined on us this day, while we are battered, we are still alive. I am not one to tempt fate though. I think it would be wise to withdraw and at the very least camp with our mounts or farther away, if not to the keep."

Henry dons his armor and gathers his gear, nervously glancing at the mouth of the cave. He'll spend the time also telling Lardo the results of the battle that led us to this point.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#204 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Lardo waves off Henry's admonishments. He walks back to the secret door and gives a listen for any sign of goblin activity on the other side.

OOC: need a hear noises roll
Failure is always an option.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#205 Post by Spartakos »

Lardo moves to the secret door and presses his ear against it, listening for any hint of sound or vibration from beyond, but he hears nothing other than the sounds from his side of the door.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#206 Post by Spartakos »

21st of Shining, 10:15 pm

After some quiet discussion about sending a message to the hobgoblins, most of the group argues for a withdrawal to rest and recover. Gathering up their loot, the party takes formation and prepares to move out.

It is dark outside, lit only by starlight and the glow of their torch...but it is not so dark they cannot notice something as they exit. Propped up against the wall between the entrance to the ogre's cave and that of the goblins is the seated corpse of the ogre. In addition to the wounds you gave him, he now has several goblin javelins piercing his chest and limbs. Hung around his neck is a crude sign lettered in goblin, which Sham can translate: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO THOSE WHO TRIFLE WITH US.

The group can still hear the faint chanting and see the glow from around the curve of the canyon, but here all is still and quiet, the cave mouths dark like empty eye sockets.

Head home? Or anything else before departing?
Also, what's the plan to get home? March by night, or rest a bit where you left your animals and go home in the morning?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third looks uncomfortable at the group's plan to leave. "We should investigate the chanting before we go," he says. "If they're plotting evil, we need to know. If you need to flee, just send me. I can be hard to see."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#208 Post by Scott308 »

Eglistrum Paharis

Placing a bag of gold and the sack of electrum in his backpack, the mage is ready to head out. Ampersand, if you feel the need to investigate the chanting I will not stop you. I too believe it is something we should have more information on. However, we are not in any position to get into a fight right now, especially with a group of goblins that can dispatch an ogre like that, he says, smirking. If you wish to head that way, please be careful not to be seen as we cannot be of much help to you if you are spotted.

Eglistrum will stick with Magic Missile as it is his only combat spell.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#209 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cormac thinks of removing the sign and javelins but then figures that is too much effort let the goblins fib stand "I think the hobgoblins will get the message though the goblins little lie here i doubt will strike any type of retaliation back on them from the hobgoblins. If you think you can go and not be seen Ampersand then I am fine with that i just beg you return alive and not sitting like the ogre."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#210 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham gives his unfiltered opinion, "The cult has nothing to do with us just yet. If they are planning something, we should stay out of their way. Let's take the head back to the keep, and hope maybe that might impress the bailiff a little more."

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#211 Post by Bloodaxe »

Saeros Silversword

The Elf packs up and prepares to leave. He takes as many sacks of coins as he can carry.
Make sure you grab all the coins and that keg of brandy.

He cuts the head off the Ogre and put it in a sack.
Maybe there is a bounty on this beast. At the least it could impress The Keep into aiding us. Unless someone wants to still deliver a message.....

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#212 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Henry gathers any loot he can help carry and says mumbling "if we can get this to my trusty steed, he can bear this load for us..." and he winces at the spectacle of the ogre beheading, not so much for the act, just the sight of it...

As he's picking up loot and hearing talk of provoking hobgoblins into action he says in his motherly tone "I'm not so sure we should be doing that. I can heal one person, and we've got our emergency scroll, but that's it. We're not in much shape for a protracted fight, that's what I think anyway."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third shakes his head sadly. He looks particularly disappointed that Brother Henry, cleric of gods of Good, is willing to ignore possible evil afoot.

"I'm going to do a quick recon," he says. "When I get back, please don't be gone."

He quietly pads off, looking for a spot from which he can observe the chanting from a distance—preferably from a position with lots of cover.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#214 Post by Spartakos »

21st of Shining, 10:30 pm

The group has another brief, whispered discussion. While it is going on, Saeros draws his sword and it flashes briefly in the torchlight, severing the ogre's head cleanly. Sheathing his long blade, he bundles the large and gruesome trophy into a sack.

Ampersand of the Appelations seems uncomfortable with the group's general consensus to depart without seeing what the chanting is. With a rhyming plea to not leave without him, he slips off deeper into the canyon, relying on infravision to guide his way. He is soon out of sight of the party.

I will use PMs to work with Ampersand, until such time as he rejoins the group. Are you waiting for him? If so, how long and in what fashion?

GreyWolfVT

#215 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cormac will go back to a guard post closer to the cave entrance while waiting for the return of the scouting party.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#216 Post by KingOfCowards »

Spartakos wrote:
Ampersand of the Appelations seems uncomfortable with the group's general consensus to depart without seeing what the chanting is. With a rhyming plea to not leave without him, he slips off deeper into the canyon, relying on infravision to guide his way. He is soon out of sight of the party.

I will use PMs to work with Ampersand, until such time as he rejoins the group. Are you waiting for him? If so, how long and in what fashion?
By the kobold's map, we are stationed around D & E. I assume Ampersand went off towards K. I say we tuck ourselves into that corner between D & F, it should give us a view of most of what's going on. I think we should depend on the demi-humans infravision for now. Torchlight would give us away.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#217 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Henry agrees that the corner of D&F would be a good vantage point as long as the infravision folks can ensure no hidden bad guys are there.

He'll stare intently in the direction Ampersand disappeared in...

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#218 Post by Spartakos »

Cormac takes up a guard position near the mouth of the ogre cave, looking this way and that, wary of monsters. The two hired lads stay near him, reassured by the big Lamoran's presence. The rest of the group likewise tries to stay alert and unnoticed near the cave.

Sham, not content to wait for Ampersand's return, decides to head after him, at least partway. He uses his infravision to guide him through the dark night, and when Brother Henry decides to come along, guides the priest as well. They do not have to go especially far before they can just make out Ampersand's diminutive form; the gnome is across the canyon, concealed behind a good-sized boulder (near to cave H, so he can look down the canyon). After a short while, the chanting stops, and they hear a voice speaking in the common tongue (see below). Soon afterward, Ampersand fades back and then rejoins them, and they all return to the rest of the party.

Presumably, Ampersand will fill you in on what he observed.

What Ampersand Saw...

Ampersand slinks along the canyon wall, picking his steps carefully, and trying to be both quiet and unobtrusive. When he reaches a place where the canyon doglegs a bit, he can look down further, and see the bonfire and the scene around it. Ducking behind a boulder, he observes the goings on.

Standing before the bonfire are five men; because they are backlit by the flames, Ampersand cannot make out their features, but they are all clad in long hooded robes...three in rusty red, two in black. All are chanting, and occasionally the black-robed pair make some cabalistic gestures. Once in a while one of the red-robed men throws a handful of some powder into the bonfire, and it smokes more; now that he is closer, Ampersand can pick up the sweet smell of incense.

This little tableau has a small and unusual audience. On either side of the fire, standing like soldiers, are disgusting mockeries of life...three walking skeletons, clad in scraps of mail and leather and carrying rusty weapons, and five zombies in ragged clothing. Meanwhile, in front of the fire are an orc and a gnoll, both standing apart from each other but watching the cultists go through their ritual.

As you watch, the robed men bring their chant to a halt. One of them steps forward, raising his arms, and declares loudly, "Thanatos has come again to this hidden cleft of rock, and from here he will spread, as black veins spread from a corrupted wound. All return to Thanatos when life has fled. He rules all after death, both body"--here, he gestures to the undead husks standing nearby--"and soul. Those who serve him well, will have rewards both in mortal life and in the dark lands of Sheol." He points a finger at the orc. "Your people claim that Orcus is Lord of Death, yet I tell you Orcus serves a greater and more ancient lord." Turning to the gnoll, he says "Your demon prince Yeenoghu may rule ghouls in the Abyss, but only by Thanatos's sufferance."

"Bring your people to worship at his altar, and Thanatos will aid you. You will reap bodies like grain, feast on flesh until you are surfeited, and throw down the weak gods of men and elves. Those who die will be thankful for it. Embrace death, and never fear dying."

Once they are back together, the group decides to make good their exit for the moment. While finding their way through the darkness is not easy, with the guidance of Sham and Saeros, they are soon able to make their way back to the forest, and thence to their hidden campground. Deciding it would be best to put some distance between themselves and the Caves, they march for a few hours before bedding down for the night. It is late morning before everyone is awake and fed, and after a long days march they arrive at the keep on the very heels of sunset, barely arriving before the gates are shut for the night.

You had all talked about going home, and the only mentioned delay was Ampersand's scouting mission. With that accomplished, I figured I would put your plan to head back into action, rather than delay any further.
With your 2 hirelings and pack animals, you are able to move at normal pace; therefore, it's a day and a quarter travel time back to the Keep. Figure you marched until about 2:00 am, caught 7-8 hours sleep, then up again and a full day's march, reaching the Keep just before nightfall on the 22nd of Shining.
Everyone should deduct 3 days of rations, plus any oil or torches used.

That's a wrap for this expedition; you can discuss your plans for town and your next foray in IC (Back At the Keep) and OOC forums. I'll total up treasure and XP and post both shortly.

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”