First Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: First Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

#321 Post by Zhym »

Could we spread out carrying Cormac's gear enough to get our movement rate up to 60'?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#322 Post by Spartakos »

Zhym wrote:Could we spread out carrying Cormac's gear enough to get our movement rate up to 60'?
Afraid not.
Henry & Lardo each have +1 Str bonus; this gives them base carrying capacity of 50/75/100/200 (at 120, 90, 60, and 30' respectively). Cormac in bare feet doesn't weigh under 200 lb.; that's 100 lb. apiece right there for the stretcher bearers, NOT counting his gear or their own.

Once you reach your animals, you can rig a travois to haul Cormac, and perhaps shift some gear to them as well, which should up your move speed considerably. It took you about 3 hours to get to the Caves from where you left your pack animals; at your current pace, it will take you roughly twice that to get back, so you'd reach your camp around 7:00 pm, with dusk coming on.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#323 Post by Gelatinous Q »

It is what it is. We need to get a move on no matter how slow — daylight's burning.

I propose that Henry and Lardo man the litter, Eglistrum scouts ahead, and Ampersand and Geert form our rearguard.
Failure is always an option.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#324 Post by Scott308 »

Sounds good to me.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#325 Post by Spartakos »

17th of Shining, 6:45 pm

With Eglistrum leading the way, the group hurries as best they can back through the forest, trying not to drop Cormac as they struggle over rocks and logs. It is many hours later, and the forest growing dim as the sun sinks lower, when the group returns to the camp where they left their animals. Aggie is clearly happy to see her master, frisking up to Geert and nearly bowling him over in her excitement. The group sets Cormac down as gently as they can; he is still sweaty and delirious, and his pulse races, but he is still alive.

Actions? Were you planning to camp here, or head back to town? You have at most an hour or 2 before full dark.
If you're camping, give me a watch schedule.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#326 Post by Gelatinous Q »

How long a ride between our camp and the keep?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#327 Post by Spartakos »

Full day's march from this campsite back to the keep.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Zhym »

Is that a full day assuming normal travel speed, or a full day lugging 300 lbs of Cormac with us at a 30' movement rate?

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#329 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Henry exhales loudly and says "I could use some sleep, and if I can have some time to pray, I can hopefully give Cormac here some relief."

OOC: due to the hassles of moving Cormac, I think maybe we should try to rest - Henry can cast CLW on Cormac and hopefully get him in a semi-mobile condition.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#330 Post by Spartakos »

Zhym wrote:Is that a full day assuming normal travel speed, or a full day lugging 300 lbs of Cormac with us at a 30' movement rate?
Normal speed, which you can achieve now that you have your pack animals. I figure you can rig a travois to allow the donkey or pony to haul Cormac's carcass, and unburden yourselves enough to march at full speed; you haven't taken an excessive quantity of loot.

So your most likely options are:
--Camp here until dawn
--Travel until sundown (putting some distance between you and the Caves), then camp for the night
--Try to travel all night; you run some risks, though (getting lost, etc)

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#331 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Definitely think we should rest up for the night, but I do like the idea of striking this camp and putting as much distance between us and the caves before nightfall, then bedding down. We can either strap Cormac across a donkey or haul him on a jerry-rigged sledge.
Last edited by Gelatinous Q on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#332 Post by ragnboneshopper »

If we do move the camp, which I'm for, Geert will cut a bundle of evergreen twigs to rub out our trail as much as possible. He'll volunteer for first watch.

(Sorry again. Fell ill this week on top of everything... :| )

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third is also in favor of striking a new camp. He'd like first or last watch so he can get his spell back.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#334 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Lardo will take second watch.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#335 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

OOC: Henry is fine with striking camp and moving a ways.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#336 Post by Spartakos »

18th of Shining, 6:00 am

With Henry's faithful donkey to aid in pulling the unconscious Cormac, the party puts a few more miles of distance between themselves and the Caves, settling in a new campsite in a well-concealed thicket. Geert takes the drogue position, doing his best to conceal signs of their passage. The group takes turns standing watch throughout the nice, but nothing disturbs their rest.

In the morning, Cormac's fever has broken and he is sleeping peacefully...it appears the poison has run its course, though the cut on his leg needs tending (Cormac is at 6 out of 9 HP, not bad shape really). The group breaks out some rations and eats breakfast, while making their plans for the day.

Actions? With Cormac back on his feet, you could get back to the caves in a couple hours. Or in the other direction, make the Keep by late afternoon.

Spellcasters, if you are making any changes to your spells, please let me know.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third will try Phantasmal Force today instead of Sleep.

Do we think we'd be able to level if we went back to town? If not, it might be worth venturing into the caves again.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#338 Post by Gelatinous Q »

I'm for going back to the Keep. We're down two men. It wouldn't suck to replace them. We should think about bringing on some hirelings, too — some torchbearers would be nice, since most of us don't have infravision.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#339 Post by Spartakos »

Zhym wrote:Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third will try Phantasmal Force today instead of Sleep.

Do we think we'd be able to level if we went back to town? If not, it might be worth venturing into the caves again.
Just FYI, you're nowhere close to leveling. I just did a quick calculation, and (split 6 ways) you can each expect a little over 200 XP. I'd planned to start you each with a little XP (around 10-15% of what you need for 2nd level), but that's still well short.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#340 Post by badams30 »

Henry - Cleric

Unless someone needs it, Henry will save his CLW spell just in case. He also agrees that returning to the keep to get some new members and/or recruit some torchbearers and porters.

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”