OOC Table Talk

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Table Talk

#161 Post by Zhym »

Sounds like both have advantages. I kind of like (2) as it seems to fit old school D&D, but (1) has the advantage of simplicity.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#162 Post by Bloodaxe »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I'd go with option 1 as it sounds the least likely to really alter the dynamics of the game and put more of a chance to the system in place.

+1

For magic items xp, is it who found the item, who gets the item, or split between the party?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#163 Post by Spartakos »

Bloodaxe wrote: For magic items xp, is it who found the item, who gets the item, or split between the party?
Even split, between all party members who make it home alive.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#164 Post by KingOfCowards »

The unpopular kid in the corner says don't increase xp rewards. I already know I'll be in the minority, but just wanted to have my say.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#165 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Option 1 is clean and simple but does it overcorrect the problem? Doubling Lardo's XP and adjusting for magic items would put him pretty close to L2, which seems right from the perspective of time invested but over-generous from the perspective of actual accomplishment. Maybe 1.5X rather than 2X? Just a thought.

Which brings up other questions: Will this change be retroactive or going forward? And will leveling be automatic or will it need to happen during a period of rest back at the Keep?
Last edited by Gelatinous Q on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is always an option.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#166 Post by Bloodaxe »

KingOfCowards wrote:The unpopular kid in the corner says don't increase xp rewards. I already know I'll be in the minority, but just wanted to have my say.
I'll take his XP. ;)

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#167 Post by badams30 »

KingOfCowards wrote:The unpopular kid in the corner says don't increase xp rewards. I already know I'll be in the minority, but just wanted to have my say.
Being the wishy washy sort, I don't have much of an opinion, but i'm fine with leaving it as-is as King suggests. But whatever - I'm just happy to be playing.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#168 Post by Spartakos »

Ok...after some more consideration and number crunching, I think Lardo has a point as well as Zhym. I don't want you guys "frozen at first", but I also don't wish to overcorrect.
Adding XP for magic is going to add an additional 950 XP retroactively...practically the equivalent of a whole other expedition. Combine that with what I said about circumstances (there are richer prizes to be had), and maybe we don't need to make such a big shift.

So: I'll start by instituting XP for magic, and let's try one more expedition. If I still feel it needs improvement, we can add a 50% increase and try that for a bit.

I would rather make incremental refinements, then go too far and have to walk it back.

Thanks to everyone for your input; some different opinions, but I'm going to try to hear everyone and balance the best I can.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#169 Post by Spartakos »

Followup to my last post: I have gone back to the 2 XP division posts, and edited them (to add in XP for magic items). Based on those altered numbers, here is what everyone's XP totals should be as of this moment:

Henry: 262 (starting) + 304 (1st expedition) + 194 (2nd expedition) = 760 XP
Lardo: 187 (starting) + 304 (1st expedition) + 194 (2nd expedition) = 685 XP
Geert: 300 (starting) + 304 (1st expedition) + 194 (2nd expedition) = 798 XP
Ampersand: 337 (starting) + 304 (1st expedition) + 194 (2nd expedition) = 835 XP
Eglistrum: 375 (starting) + 304 (1st expedition) + 194 (2nd expedition) = 873 XP
Cormac: 300 (starting) + 304 (1st expedition) + 194 (2nd expedition) = 798 XP
Sham: 337 (starting) + 194 (2nd expedition) = 531 XP
Saeros: 450 (starting) + 194 (2nd expedition) = 644 XP

Again...let's see how your next venture goes.

Lardo, to answer your question on how leveling up works, I only award XP when you have returned safely to the Keep (or similar "base" type area). So you'll only raise levels between adventures. However, I don't require any training time/money or anything of the sort.

Let's get on with town business, so we can get back out there and have some more adventures. Questions/comments:

1.) Everyone okay with selling the axe and brandy? Who is doing the selling?
2.) What are you doing with the counterfeit gold pieces?
3.) Everyone okay with Geert departing?
4.) Everyone okay with Saeros's suggestion about giving Henry the scroll and Lardo the potion? And does this affect their share of monetary loot?
5.) Plans for the ogre head?
6.) How long are you staying in town? If you want to stay until everyone's fully healed, I'll get to work rolling HP recovery. I am going to rule that Kyle, as a non-adventurer, only heals 1 HP per day (unless Henry wants to toss him a Cure spell).
7.) I'd appreciate at least 1 post from everyone about what you're doing when you get back to town.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#170 Post by Bloodaxe »

1.) Everyone okay with selling the axe and brandy? Who is doing the selling?
4.) Everyone okay with Saeros's suggestion about giving Henry the scroll and Lardo the potion? And does this affect their share of monetary loot?
6.) How long are you staying in town? If you want to stay until everyone's fully healed, I'll get to work rolling HP recovery. I am going to rule that Kyle, as a non-adventurer, only heals 1 HP per day (unless Henry wants to toss him a Cure spell).
7.) I'd appreciate at least 1 post from everyone about what you're doing when you get back to town.

==========

1) Id say sell it. Have our most persuasive Charismatic character do the negotiating
2) We better come clean on the fake gold, give it to the bank/Castellan for copper value(unless you want to save it to bribe other humanoids....)
3) We need a Cleric
4) Im ok with it. Id say it should affect loot- they are limited use magic and the best ones to use the items.
5) I suggest showing it to Castellan for a bounty or possible aid. (like better armor)
6) I say stay til fully healed.
7) Ok.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#171 Post by KingOfCowards »

1) Sell it. Sham and Henry are tied for best charisma.
2) Sell as copper. Although giving it to the kobolds sounds like fun too.
3) I am okay with this.
4) Good with the distribution of magic items. I don't really want to effect their payout, but both items could be sold for cash, so it wouldn't be fair to the others not to.
5) Present it to the bailiff for a reward.
6) Fully healed.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#172 Post by GreyWolfVT »

1) Id say sell it. a high Charisma character do the negotiating
2) I say come clean on the fake gold, give it to the bank/Castellan for copper value
3) Yes I am. Though we need a cleric hireling perhaps?
4) Fine by me.
5) I suggest seeing if we can get a bounty or possible aid or coin.
6) until we are all fully healed.
7) this makes 3 that replied. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#173 Post by badams30 »

Henry

1.) Everyone okay with selling the axe and brandy? Who is doing the selling?: I'm fine with that. And I'm happy to do the selling if need be. Henry is going to do his best to be charismatic priest about the keep if possible, so maybe that'll make a difference.
2.) What are you doing with the counterfeit gold pieces?: I don't have a preference. Someone mentioned passing them off to kobolds or someone, that sounds like a good use of them.
3.) Everyone okay with Geert departing?; No problem here.
4.) Everyone okay with Saeros's suggestion about giving Henry the scroll and Lardo the potion? And does this affect their share of monetary loot?: I'm fine with holding the scroll, and although I'm biased, I don't think it should affect the shares - it's a clerical scroll, and I'm only going to use it for the benefit of the group. And if it was anyone else's magic item or whatever, I'm not a fan of it cutting into the share of coin, that's what divvying the loot is about. You might get less one time, and more another. Just my 2 cents.
5.) Plans for the ogre head?: Henry doesn't care what we do with the head.
6.) How long are you staying in town? If you want to stay until everyone's fully healed, I'll get to work rolling HP recovery. I am going to rule that Kyle, as a non-adventurer, only heals 1 HP per day (unless Henry wants to toss him a Cure spell). Henry will happily cure anyone who needs it.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#174 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Spartakos wrote: 1.) Everyone okay with selling the axe and brandy? Who is doing the selling?
1.) Go for it. Sham or Henry (both 14CHR) are the best candidates for this.
2.) Lardo's not above a little fraud, though I agree that we shouldn't push our luck at the Keep. Maybe we should cache these at our campsite and pick them up on the way back to the caverns?
3.) Fine by me.
4.) Fine by me. I get an invisibility potion!
5.) Lardo will toss the orc head and replace it with the ogre's in the salt sack. The Castellan wasn't terribly impressed w/ the orc chieftain head last time, and our contract was specifically for goblin ears. I suspect she'll treat this pretty coolly, but maybe we can get some extra $$$ out of her. If she won't bite, I still think we should try to play the hobgoblins against the goblins when we return and the ogre head could factor into that scheme.
6.) I vote for fully healed.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#175 Post by Bloodaxe »

We should consider both magic items are limited use/disposable. The scroll will probably be used to heal one of us. The potion only has 8 sips, but Lardo has to put his hindquarters on the line to use it. (scout/backstab) Helps the party out too.
If it was a ring of invisibility or platemail +1 - then thats a very good item, much better than a scroll or potion.

=============

I say we target the Orcs next- since they are potential allies of that Evil Cult. Unless you want to try & finish off the Gobbos. The Gnolls are probably beyond our power right now.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#176 Post by Spartakos »

While we haven't heard from Zhym or Scott308, most of you seem to be in agreement on a lot of these. So I will proceed with the following, and let the rest get hashed out (IC or OOC):
--Henry will sell the axe and brandy.
--4 out of 5 thought they might be useful as bribes for humanoids, so I'll hold off on turning in for now.
--Geert will go his own way, and Henry will try to hire a cleric retainer.
--Most believed magic items should reduce share of coin, but not by how much (Henry opposed; Saeros pointed out that disposable items like this are often used to benefit the group, moreso than the individual). I'll let you discuss that when you divvy up spoils after sale.
--Most agreed that at least showing the ogre head to the bailiff could be worthwhile; I'm assuming Lardo will do that, anybody else who wants to go along just say so.
--All agreed to heal fully, so I'll see how long that takes.
GreyWolfVT wrote: 7) this makes 3 that replied. :)
I was actually referring to y'all making an in-character post on the "Back at the Keep" thread. :) Sorry, should have been more clear. I'll get the ball rolling over there.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#177 Post by Bloodaxe »

Mine was a typo, I was on my cell phone.
I meant " it should NOT effect loot" ( magic items) especially potions & scrolls.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#178 Post by Spartakos »

Thank you for that clarification, Bloodaxe; that actually puts it at 2 who feel it shouldn't affect, 2 who think it should, and 1 who doesn't want it to but feels its most fair. We may want to hear from the other 2 party members.

Would you guys be open to partial shares? Losing a full share for a potion seems kinda harsh to me. What if Henry would rather have money, does he have to take the scroll?

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#179 Post by Bloodaxe »

Losing a share of treasure for a potion or a scroll ( particularly a cure spell) is just not reasonable.
Should Henry ask for "donations" for healing?
We will hamstring the effectiveness of the party if we go down this route.
I could possibly see if it was a ring of invisibility or plate mail +1. But not potions or scrolls.
I ask that other characters consider it carefully.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#180 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Put me down as another vote against losing monetary shares for limited-use magic like potions or scrolls.

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”