Gameplay Guidelines

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Gameplay Guidelines

#1 Post by Spartakos »

Gameplay:
  • If you post an action that requires a roll, please make the roll and post the results with it...especially combat rolls. Having to prompt for die rolls slows the game. I reserve the right to make a roll for any PC if necessary (I'll link you to the die roll).
  • If you name a party leader, they will roll initiative. Otherwise, I will use the first initiative roll posted by any player. If I'm ready to advance a round of combat and no player has rolled initiative, I will roll for you.
  • If you are attempting to parley, I will generally roll a reaction roll using the best Cha modifier of all PC's who engage in the talk.
  • I will roll all the following rolls: Surprise rolls, Thieves Ability rolls, Reaction rolls, others as appropriate.
  • Please work out standard marching order for 2 abreast, single file, and wilderness/open terrain (if desired). Any changes to this have to be agreed upon.
  • If you disagree with a ruling, please PM me and explain why; I can and do change my mind when presented with polite, reasonable arguments! Don't be rude, don't make a ruckus on the public forums, and don't continue to question my decision when I've been clear that it's final.
  • If you're posting dialogue, put it in blue. If you're posting OOC notes, put it in red. Please do not use other colors.
  • Try to post every day if you can; every 2 days minimum. I will be moving events in the game along, based on what has been posted, once everybody has posted or roughly every 48 hours (whichever comes first). I will check the game daily whenever possible. If you have not posted, your character may do nothing, or may take actions as the DM sees fit (as an NPC); see below for details. If you return to the game, your PC will be handed back to you. If you fall behind more than once or twice, you may be asked to leave.
  • My general 'CPU' rules for how I will make PCs act when in NPC status:
    1. If they were in melee and at 50% HP or more, they'll continue to melee, or move to engage if current foes are down.
    2. If they were in melee and at less than 50% HP, they will attempt to withdraw from melee if feasible, and will not engage further foes in melee, but may use ranged weapons as appropriate.
    3. If they were not in melee, they will use ranged weapons if appropriate, hold action otherwise.
    4. Because spells and magic items are a limited resource, I will not cause PCs to cast or use limited-use items.
  • Cardinal Rule: if you don't say you did it, you didn't do it. I will assume some actions...for instance, if you say "I'm going to stab the orc with my sword", I'll assume you drew your sword first. But if you state, "Thog picks up the dead goblin's crossbow", but you don't mention that you are grabbing his bolt case as well, you will not have any bolts! If you state "Jak picks the lock on the chest", it is too late to mention that you are going to check for traps!
  • I will describe a few standard actions, and the assumptions I make for each:
    • "I search the body". To me, this means emptying someone's belt pouch, checking their pockets (if any), removing any arms and armor, removing and checking boots, and giving the corpse a quick pat-down to feel for anything obvious (a dagger in the sleeve, a scroll stuffed inside a jerkin, etc). Any more detailed search than this will require specifics.
    • "I search the room". To me, this means checking each wall in a cursory fashion for secret/hidden doors, looking in obvious places (behind curtains, under tables, etc) for any people/creatures or unusual features, and noting all containers (chests, desk drawers, etc) without opening them. Any more detailed search than this will require specifics. Keep in mind that in the process of searching, you have to move throughout the room, which may activate traps (though I assume you are looking out for them), and this will take time (which can cause wandering monster checks).
    • "I open the door/chest/whatever". To me, unless you mention any precautions or unusual methods, this means opening it in the standard way people open things (i.e. standing in front of it).
  • I assume your characters are moving at a standard exploration pace (slow and cautious) unless you mention otherwise. At this pace, thieves can be assumed to be moving stealthily.
  • I will let you know if areas are dark; light sources are up to you to determine, and you should state what (if any) you are using/carrying.
  • Whenever you enter a new area (corridor, room, etc) I will try to give you a description of what you see, hear, and smell. If you like, you can indicate that you are taking a minute to be silent and try to notice any details, which may give you fainter sounds/smells, or let you notice anything unusual. You may also state that you are examining certain areas/objects, which can provide you with additional details.
  • Whenever you have defeated foes, I will try to give a description of what possessions you can note on them. If you search fallen enemies, I will assume you are taking any money/gems found. YOU MUST NOTE ANY OTHER ITEMS YOU ARE TAKING, or you will leave them behind. In general, I will assume that whoever posts that they are taking something is going to be carrying it. If you are not sure who should take/carry an item, discuss it in-character. If you do not mention where you are storing a taken item, I assume that you will:
    1. stick it in a sack, if you have one handy
    2. stick it in your backpack, if you have no sack (or if it's full)
    3. stick it in your belt pouch, if you have no backpack (or if it's full)
    4. If anything is too large to fit in those things, I will assume you are carrying it in your hand or perhaps slung over your shoulder (for instance, if you take a half-dozen swords off a band of orcs, a reasonable thing would be to tie them in a bundle and sling it from your shoulder).
  • Metagaming: I am not a huge stickler on this; I don't mind 'table talk' and so forth between players, sharing of information, so long as it is reasonable. Likewise, I have no problem with your characters being assumed to know many things that you (the player) know...stuff like that ghouls can paralyze you, or that trolls regenerate unless burned, that werewolves are vulnerable to silver, etc. The one area of metagaming I don't like is when you have a character act on knowledge there is no reasonable way he/she could possibly know. Please don't do this. NOTE: this includes things like being familiar with the module; I trust you guys and don't expect you to do anything shady in this regard, but be aware I have modified the caves somewhat, so that anyone attempting to do so may have unpleasant surprises. Just saying.

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”