First Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: First Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

#101 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Geert holds his position, marveling that communication is even occurring and wishing he knew what was being said. "Dang I hope the dwarf didn't just promise our firstborn children for rights to this armpit of a valley," he whispers to those close by, grinning in order to cover the jitters crawling up and down his spine.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#102 Post by Spartakos »

The kobold listens impassively to Littbarsky's proposal; his eyelids do widen a trifle at the word "eradicate", but it is only momentary.

When the dwarf is finished and offers a smoke, the kobold dismisses the tobacco with a curt wave of his hand. "You speak of pay, and this is a pleasant thought. You mention vague threats from the world of men, and I hear them. What I hear not, is what you want of our tribe now, this day."

"Roads, trade...these are things of the future. Now, there are big folk at our tunnel, with steel. What would you have of us, and what do you offer?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Spearmint »

Littbarsky

"Well, perhaps you can track and scout for us. You have good knowledge of these caves and know this area. The Dukes' 1st Expeditionary Surveyors (us), well we can pay a good wage and there is no need to threaten your group if we can agree a cessation of hostilities. Do you have a map of these initial caverns we can purchase from you, if scouting is beyond your talents?".

Littbarsky tries a little more diplomacy, wary of furtive shadows and a constant threat. Can he see much further with his infravision. He jingles his bag of coins to entice some positive trade.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Should we assume Littbarsky is translating this for the rest of us at this point? :mrgreen:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Spearmint »

Was hoping Henry might be doing that. He'll give an overview not a word for word account.

"Guys, just trying to get this fellow Tarik to aid us a little." he will translate back

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#106 Post by Spartakos »

17th of Shining, 11:00 am

Tavek hisses, low in his throat, then says, "Go with big folk, and go into the other caves? Foolishness. We are enemies of none here, but to intrude on their place would be death. Go seek your own deaths."

When Littbarsky mentions a map, the kobold appears to muse on the idea, then says, "There is one who could draw what you wish. Come back tomorrow."

With that, he backs cautiously down the tunnel to rejoin his lurking kin, and they all move back out of sight.

Sorry for the delay, holiday and follow-up has had me busy.

I stopped bothering with the spoilers, sorry; yeah, we can assume Littbarsky is translating, and Henry calling back.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Spearmint »

Littbarsky

Cautiously walks back to the others. "Says one old kobold has a map he can sell us tomorrow for a few coins, don't know how reliable it will be though. Seems they fear to venture into other caves. I worry about them at my back but I don't think they'll follow us too far."

Littbarsky leaves the cave. Where to next?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third chuckles at Littbarsky's unusual approach but offers no suggestions.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#109 Post by Gelatinous Q »

"A kobold's map?" Lardo spits. "Likely lead us to the bottom of a pit deeper than the one I almost tumbled into." He points with his dagger across the gorge to the unexplored cave mouth opposite. "I says we have a look-see inside there. Maybe we'll find more reasonable creatures ... or at least ones willing to put up an honest fight."

OOC: I say we scout one or two more of these caves closest to the canyon floor then head back to camp and hatch a plan — I wouldn't want the sun to set on us here. We may need to send back to the Keep for more provisions and a hireling or two to make a proper go of this.
Failure is always an option.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by KingOfCowards »

Aron nods along with the translations that are relayed back and forth.
"A map certainly would be helpful if done correctly. I don't trust these creatures, but we can at least see what their map has to say. We'd soon know whether or not they are playing us false, and hopefully it won't be too late. For now, let's find another course of action."

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#111 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Cleric

Henry nods at Littbarsky and says with a smile "Very calm negotiations, my friend. Nice work. I was quite worried for our safety."

Henry also supports Lardo's plan to recon a bit more then withdraw before sundown.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#112 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Geert considers the kobold's final answer. "None too in a hurry to tag along with us, eh? Something more dangerous than dog men in these caves, I wager. But a map'd be no hurt. Worth waiting on." He spits and gestures across the valley. "Guess I'll scout the first cave across the way."

Geert starts that way, moving stealthy as a small rodent afraid of being caught from above by a bird of prey. He'll sneak up to the cave mouth, listen for a few minutes, then peer inside. He'll not step inside at this point.

I'm thinking the same plan: try to sneak up on the cave entrance and have a look what's visible from the outside while the rest linger behind. Cave #1.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#113 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Lardo will join Geert reconning the next cave.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#114 Post by Spartakos »

17th of Shining, 11:10 am

Geert and Lardo skulk towards the cave mouth on the other side, splitting apart to flank the tunnel entrance. The entrance is lower than the kobold cave, barely four feet high; Lardo would have to stoop to enter, though Geert of course could simply walk on in. The low threshold, though, means that almost no sunlight shines in...without a light source, the two sneaky adventurers can't see more than a half dozen feet into the cave.

They stay crouched there for a time, listening intently and peering into the dark. They hear nothing, but just as they start to slip back away from the entrance, a faint glint catches Lardo's eye...he spies a nearly invisible wire crossing the entrance tunnel, just at the edge of the shadow. It is set low, about eight inches off the ground.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Spearmint »

Littbarsky

waits outside the cave. Are there any discernible trails or steps in this ravine, any prominent sections or places where a lookout could be situated. I get the feeling that as we progress deeper into the ravine we will be spied on before we notice anything so Littbarsky wants to note any places he might think we need more caution in.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by KingOfCowards »

Aron watches the party's back. Focusing on the kobold cave, but looking for other signs of danger.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#117 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Cleric

Henry watches from some cover, anxiously awaiting Lardo's return and word of what he's found. As he waits, Henry says a few prayers and he thoughtfully rubs his holy symbol.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#118 Post by Spartakos »

17th of Shining, 11:15 am

While waiting for the scouts to return, some of the party keeps a wary eye on their surroundings.

Littbarsky studies the cliff walls, but doesn't discern any trail or way to the clifftop from his current vantage point. The walls are steep, but do have numerous cracks and ledges, so they could be scaled by a competent climber, but it would certainly be a climb, not a walk.

Aron's keen elvish eyes scan for any sign of trouble, but don't detect any at the present.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#119 Post by Gelatinous Q »

After Geert points out the tripwire to Lardo, the thief lets out a soft, low whistle.

"These devils don't trust each other, do they?" He looks to the halfling. "You want I should disarm it, or should we report back to the others first?"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#120 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Geert whistles, having not noticed the tripwire himself, and now sees the tripwire Lardo is pointing out. "I'm for telling the others first so's we don't let on that we know about it, in case something's watching, but ts'up to you." He shrugs and either stands safely back while Lardo disarms the trap or hustles back with the thief to tell the group what they've found first.

Sorry guys, hectic week.

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”