[D&D5e] Old Man picking this up again

Post here to introduce yourself.
Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

[D&D5e] Old Man picking this up again

#1 Post by Shaede »

Hey all, I’m on old school AD&D player looking to get into 5e. The tabletop and online live games aren’t really going to work due to family commitments, however I’m looking to try out PbP. I play a Rogue, fighter, and want to fiddle about with a warlock. Rogue is primary though. I’m looking forward to playing with you guys.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: [D&D5e] Old Man picking this up again

#2 Post by Alethan »

Welcome, Shaede.

I'm not sure what sort of 5e games we have going on right now, but take a look around and drop the DM a request if you find something.

Also, we have a two-post approval method to deter spambots. You're half way there, brother.

Welcome to the Unseen Servant.

Alethan
Site Moderator
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hello & Welcome Shaede :)

Currently there are at least two 5e games running on here. Though I am not entirely sure if it is 5e D&D or not.

RANDUNSAN! 5E Pulp Sandbox run by Mister-Kent

Bloodlines: D&D 5th Ed run by Rhourk
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Shaede »

Alethan wrote:Welcome, Shaede.

I'm not sure what sort of 5e games we have going on right now, but take a look around and drop the DM a request if you find something.

Also, we have a two-post approval method to deter spambots. You're half way there, brother.

Welcome to the Unseen Servant.

Alethan
Site Moderator
Thanks! Mister-Kent brought me here

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

Shaede wrote: Thanks! Mister-Kent brought me here
Don't worry, we won't hold that against you. ;)

Cheers,

Al

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

Welcome, Shaede.
GreyWolfVT wrote:RANDUNSAN! 5E Pulp Sandbox run by Mister-Kent

The two games Ed mentioned above are the current 5e options (Rhourk's game appears to be abandoned?), so definitely feel free to reach out to those DM's and inquire about joining their games if they're of interest to you. If you were recruited by Mister-Kent, you should already have an in.

I'll also mention that, while I don't know the specific date yet, you can expect another 5e game to be starting in the very near future -- potentially as soon as this weekend or early next week.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Shaede »

dmw71 wrote:Welcome, Shaede.
GreyWolfVT wrote:RANDUNSAN! 5E Pulp Sandbox run by Mister-Kent

The two games Ed mentioned above are the current 5e options (Rhourk's game appears to be abandoned?), but definitely feel free to reach out to those DM's and inquire about joining their games if they're of interest to you. If you were recruited by Mister-Kent, you should already have an in.

I'll also mention that, while I don't know the specific date yet, you can expect another 5e game to be starting in the very near future -- potentially as soon as this weekend or early next week.
Awesome! I'll keep my eye out, and thanks for the welcome.

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

& Hey you can always start a game and DM it ;) hasn't stopped most of us :lol:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Alethan wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome Shaede!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Awesome! I'll keep my eye out, and thanks for the welcome.
Of course. The "old school AD&D" game you're familiar is, by far, the most popular option you'll find here, but newer editions and different games entirely do spring up from time-to-time.

I, too, am an "old school" player, and have run games from Moldvay's Basic to 2e over the years, but my latest obsession interest is 5e (Note: I have "secretly" been documenting my progress, here: 'My Path to 5e').

I have exactly four 5e sessions under my belt, all as a player, and I was going to wait to attempt a 5e game until I was more comfortable with the system (I'm not), but I formally started to work on my "house rules" for a 5e game earlier today, which, historically, has always meant that the actual game itself quickly follows.

I'm not quite there yet (there is a lot to consider when attempting to run a system you lack experience in), but I'm hoping to have time over the weekend and early next week to formalize everything. In fact, I was planning on pinging Greg (ToniXX; the forum admin) later today to request that he officially set the new game up -- just to light a fire and keep me moving in that direction. :)

It will definitely be a serious game, but it will probably be a bit of a learning-as-I/we-go game, and a bit more casual, at least at first.

I will be sure to lay everything out once the game has been set up, and when I formally begin recruiting for it.... a process that, because there aren't as many players here that are interested in 5e, may buy me some extra preparation time.

The one thing I'll add regarding the new game is in regards to the posting frequency. I typically run games that require one post per day, and I plan to maintain that rate once this new game launches. Hopefully that is something you'll be able to manage.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by Shaede »

dmw71 wrote:
It will definitely be a serious game, but it will probably be a bit of a learning-as-I/we-go game, and a bit more casual, at least at first.

I will be sure to lay everything out once the game has been set up, and when I formally begin recruiting for it.... a process that, because there aren't as many players here that are interested in 5e, may buy me some extra preparation time.

The one thing I'll add regarding the new game is in regards to the posting frequency. I typically run games that require one post per day, and I plan to maintain that rate once this new game launches. Hopefully that is something you'll be able to manage.
That sounds fun, and certainly appreciate a casual start. I’m usually posting daily (multiple times) during the week. Once on the weekend is most likely.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:That sounds fun, and certainly appreciate a casual start. I’m usually posting daily (multiple times) during the week. Once on the weekend is most likely.
Perfect.

You can expect an actual game to join (even if it won't start immediately) maybe as soon as later tonight. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:

Cheers,

Al
Well we might... :lol:

Welcome Shaede, good to have you here!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:You can expect an actual game to join (even if it won't start immediately) maybe as soon as later tonight. ;)
Just connected with Greg, and this will most likely be ready tomorrow.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Mister-Kent »

Alethan wrote:

Cheers,

Al
Oh YOU :lol:

Glad you could make it over Shaede!
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

Mister-Kent wrote:
Alethan wrote:

Cheers,

Al

;) :D

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mister-Kent wrote:
Alethan wrote:

Cheers,

Al

About time the guy that brought you here said hello ;) :lol: we'll hold that against him :D

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Inferno »

Welcome Shaede! This place is full of old men reliving their adolescence. :)

Dave, I was fascinated to read your thoughtful posts on your path to 5e. Partially because it's almost alien to me to consider a new system at this stage. I think I'm too lazy to learn a new system. I'm too cheap to buy all those books. Nostalgia is a huge draw for me to gaming. And even though TSR/WotC/Hasbro no longer 'support' 1e, I can still play it in perpetuity... it's a beautiful thing.

That said, I look forward to watching your journey with continued interest. Good luck!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Nordbo »

even though TSR/WotC/Hasbro no longer 'support' 1e, I can still play it in perpetuity... it's a beautiful thing.
Magnificently well spoken!!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

Inferno wrote:Dave, I was fascinated to read your thoughtful posts on your path to 5e. Partially because it's almost alien to me to consider a new system at this stage. I think I'm too lazy to learn a new system. I'm too cheap to buy all those books. Nostalgia is a huge draw for me to gaming. And even though TSR/WotC/Hasbro no longer 'support' 1e, I can still play it in perpetuity... it's a beautiful thing.

That said, I look forward to watching your journey with continued interest. Good luck!
Thanks, man.

I honestly can't tell which has been more challenging:
  • Learning the actual rules to 5e, or
  • Accepting how much more powerful the characters are.
I still kind of have problems with both.

That said (not that anyone really asked, but...) there are a few key reasons why I plan to give 5e a legitimate shot:
  1. Official 5e materials are being built for virtual tabletops. This will save a lot of time when starting or running a new game;
  2. I have been fascinated with the concept of "adventure paths" since I first learned about them (here). I purchased a bunch of them for the Pathfinder system, but found them too difficult to convert to 1e or 2e (here). The main adventure Wizards releases each "season" has this same adventure path appeal, where they're designed to take a brand new character from first level up to... well, it varies. I own the hardcover module for three (of seven) seasons so far; one is designed to take new characters up to 15th-level, a second only brings them up to 11th-level, while the third is a compilation of seven "classic" D&D modules updated for 5e, ranging from 1st-level up to "high level" in the form of Tomb of Horrors;
  3. I really enjoy having a live, in-person game. The group I joined meets weekly, and it's been a lot of fun! While I might be able to scrape together enough players to form an early edition game, it is so much easier to find a 5e game;
  4. There are a lot of mechanics/rules in 5e that I genuinely like -- a lot. I touched on a couple here, but there are more. Yes, many of them could be easily house ruled into an earlier edition game, but in 5e they're just rules (not house rules).
My experience with 5e may still be limited, but I can say one thing for sure: It is still D&D in terms of it being a game of cooperative storytelling. Yes, the mechanics to handle different situations are different, but the heart of the game is still very much intact.

Anyway, I'm through hijacking Shaede's introductory thread. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Introductions and welcomes”