Hello!

Post here to introduce yourself.
kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

Hello!

#1 Post by kensanata »

I got here via a post on Joel's blog post on Play by Post. In the old days, I ran a play by email war game, so I'm curious about playing by post. Specially now as I can't fit more than five face-to-face sessions into a month, apparently. My face-to-face games are all house ruled variants of B/X D&D and Labyrinth Lord, but as a player I'm interested in anything that's not more complicated than that. Slow moving games of Traveller, Stars Without Number, or Powered by the Apocalypse games, In a Wicked Age, or new stuff I haven't seen that doesn't involve me reading too many pages before starting the game all work for me.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Hello!

#2 Post by rredmond »

There's a handle I recognize. Heydee Alex, methinks you'll fit in quite well here.

Welcome to Unseen Servant!

--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Welcome to the Unseen Servant!

That Joel is quite the guy!!!

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by kensanata »

Hah, the world is small. I recognize that signature. :)
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Welcome, kensanata.

I don't think it should take you too long to find a game to your liking here.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hello & Welcome kensanata :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Pulpatoon »

Welcome, Alex! Should you decide to run a B/X game, I'm reserving my spot right now!

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by Griffith »

Greetings kensanata :)

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by kensanata »

Thank you all. For the moment I'm checking "Looking for players or games", waiting for a game to show up.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Inferno »

Welcome, kensanata! Good luck and good gaming.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

kensanata wrote:Thank you all. For the moment I'm checking "Looking for players or games", waiting for a game to show up.
Well, there are also always a few games where DMs will take players and they just don't have anything posted in the LFP section.

I used to keep up with most of the active games at one point, believe it or not. But that was way back when we only had maybe 10 or so active games. It wasn't too difficult.

But I gave up on that several years ago when our numbers just got too big.

Off the top of my head, though, I would say your man Dave (dmw71) runs some of the best PbP games I've ever participated in (and assisted in, as well). We've run through the gamut of rule sets, from simple to complex (with an abundance of house rules) and then back to simple. I think he's found his liking now, back in the OSR (LL, B/X, and the like).

rredmond an... you know what? Actually all of the mods (and site admin) are quite good with running games, though only Dave and Mitch (Argennian) have active ones at this point.

Marullus is running a fantastic LL game (viewforum.php?f=353) that is based on Keehnelf's fantastic LL game (viewforum.php?f=163). I think both are fairly open about taking new players.

There are a lot of other really good DMs and games out there. We tend to include the rule set used in the game description, so you might just scan them for a first blush of what might work for you.

You could also take a gander at The GMs of the Unseen Servant (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2417) if you have time. That gives you a good background of any of the GMs who have completed the appropriate form and sent it to me for addition to the list.

Regardless of what you do, you are certainly welcome here. Hopefully you'll find something that suits your fancy in short order.

Cheers,

Al
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:I used to keep up with most of the active games at one point, believe it or not.
This I not only believe, but know for fact. Al is the Moderator Iron Man for sure - more time patrolling these shores and keeping us all safe from spam than any other Mod! If y'all only knew the ugly underbelly of forum moderation... the horrors! ;)

But I agree with Al, I don't believe a DM on these forums would be upset with you asking if they have room. Peruse the games and see what you might like to join. The worst you'll get from members here is a polite "sorry, I'm maxed out" - but sometimes that spurs them to create a new game because they know they have the players. :D

Welcome again and good luck getting in a game! We really do have a great bunch of members here.
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Fixed that for you: ;)
Alethan wrote: Off the top of my head, though, I would say your man Dave (dmw71) runs some of the best PbP games I've ever participated in (and assisted in, as well) as long as you don't get too attached to your character, because they're destined to be killed off. We've run through the gamut of rule sets, from simple to complex (with an abundance of house rules) and then back to simple. I think he's found his liking now, back in the OSR (LL, B/X, and the like).
I appreciate the compliment, though.

Without rehashing everything all over again, my plan is to be somewhat more player-friendly than I have been in the past (which, I'm thinking can be accomplished while still playing monsters intelligently).

---

But, getting back on topic, kensanata, you're welcome to check out the LL game I just relaunched after a too long hiatus. In fact, it turns out Joel (whom I've ever known as Pulpatoon) used to actually play in it.

Against my original intentions, it has pretty much turned into a daily post game (not including weekends). That said, unless your character is in a leader/scouting role, or group is in an encounter, not every player has to post every single day.

If you are interested, let me know. It's a bit of a large group, but, as my edit above alludes to, I'm confident I can trim those numbers easily enough. ;)

(P.S. The "trimming the numbers" comment is a joke. Basic D&D is plenty deadly, so I'm guessing character death will be an unfortunate reality, but that result is not my preferred outcome.)
-- Project --
-- DM --

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by kensanata »

This sounds interesting, dmw71! I'll take a look and let you know. Via a private message, I guess?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

Here, PM, or even in the original recruitment post, here.
-- Project --
-- DM --

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by coil23 »

Welcome to the site!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#17 Post by Scott308 »

Welcome aboard!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Norjax »

Welcome!

Return to “Introductions and welcomes”