Oyez, Oyez, Oyez!

Post here to introduce yourself.
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Oyez, Oyez, Oyez!

#1 Post by DadsAngry »

My first roleplaying game experience started during the summer while attending a day camp held at one of the local elementary schools. It was raining that day which meant that we would be spending our day in the gym and adjacent hallway until it stopped. On rainy days the counselors would bring out stacks of board games and set-up the film projector to play movies like the Little Rascals or old silent films featuring Charley Chaplin and Buster Keaton. That day I was bored and wandering around. I came across a group of older boys in the hallway playing on long table that was set-up to prevent us from wandering the reset of the halls in the school. They had a large detailed map laid out in front of them. I walked over and watched them. One person (DM I guess) was telling the other boys about a sword hanging in a garden and pointing to it on a very detailed the map. I watched and listened for as long as I could until one of the boys noticed me. Being several years younger (6 or 7) from the boys (10-11) I got the traditional "get out of here". I moved away but still stayed in ear shot so I could still listen. I didn't get to play but defiantly wanted to.

Soon after while visiting what I guess you could describe it as a general store, it had clothing, sporting equipment, and shoes on the main floor and upstairs had a small toy section, I discovered a freestanding point of purchase display of AD&D Players Handbook and Monster Manual. The P.O.P. used the artwork of the horned statue featured on the player's handbook. The artwork mesmerized me. I'm sure I bugged my mother to purchase them but she didn't.

A couple years later for either Christmas or my birthday my parents gave me Moldvay's Basic Rules Box Set for D&D which was newly released. Unfortunately I was not very strong reader or enjoyed reading but I did my best to read the rulebook. I would read the book in little spurts writing the word "stop" (still visible in my book) when I did. Even after I finished the rulebook I still didn't understand how to play. It wasn't until a year later that I got my first real taste. An older boy hosted an introduction to D&D session at our local library and my mother signed me up. He showed us how to make up a character and started us through a module. The module he started us on was S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. We didn't get very far. We missed a room with laser pistols and once we started encountering the robots we were toast. The following school year I changed schools and was lucky to be placed in a class with three other D&D lovers. During recess when everyone else was on the playground playing, we would sneak back into our classroom and play D&D.

Classic D&D will always be my favorite game, but over the years I have been fortunate to find other players that have introduced me to some other great roleplaying games. Some of my favorites are Call of Cthulhu, West End Games Star Wars, Cyberpunk 2020, and Hero Systems Champions. I am always looking to try a new game or an out-of print game to add to my list of favorites.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Oyez, Oyez, Oyez!

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Welcome!
Dig your handle.
Great story!
Let's game.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Welcome and Hello. That is a excellent story. Hopefully we'll see you in a game here soon. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Welcome to the Unseen Servant! We enjoy long walks by the beach, roasting marshmallows with blowtorches, dancing with wolves, and the occasional dungeon crawl!

Everyone here is awesome and so far a blast to play with! I hope you get a game soon or host one of your own!
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Argennian »

Hail and well met, DadsAngry!

That is a very cool story and somewhat similar to my first experience as well. Ahh, the good 'ol days of discovery, innocence and youth...

Welcome aboard and glad to have ya, man! 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

One thing that keeps coming to mind when I see your screen name is what's the story behind it? I like the name lol just wonder if there is a cool story behind it. :D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:One thing that keeps coming to mind when I see your screen name is what's the story behind it? I like the name lol just wonder if there is a cool story behind it. :D
I take it you're not a parent, Ed. :lol:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

dmw71 wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:One thing that keeps coming to mind when I see your screen name is what's the story behind it? I like the name lol just wonder if there is a cool story behind it. :D
I take it you're not a parent, Ed. :lol:
Actually I am I have 2 and the oldest is almost 13 trust me i get it from that aspect but figured the name had something more to it. ;)

Also is it odd that when i read the name DadsAngrey my brain immediately goes to this?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Actually I am I have 2 and the oldest is almost 13 trust me i get it from that aspect but figured the name had something more to it. ;)
Gotcha. That was mostly a joke... but you do ask a fair question.

With kids, though, here are plenty of opportunities for a dad to be angry throughout the course of a normal day. :D
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Shaede »

Welcome DadsAngry... just hope you're not my dad.. Well, and that would be really weird.
dmw71 wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote: Actually I am I have 2 and the oldest is almost 13 trust me i get it from that aspect but figured the name had something more to it. ;)
Gotcha. That was mostly a joke... but you do ask a fair question.

With kids, though, here are plenty of opportunities for a dad to be angry throughout the course of a normal day. :D
As a father of 3 kids myself (10,9, and 7), I stay in a perpetual state of keen awareness and preparation to be angry.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Norjax »

Welcome aboard!

Ullek
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by Ullek »

Welcome, brother.