Hello, I will go by the name of Rukellian on this site.

Post here to introduce yourself.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Hello, I will go by the name of Rukellian on this site.

#41 Post by GreyWolfVT »

don't worry about it Ruke we always have been understanding of it. Sleep when you can and update your games when it works best. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rukellian »

For those who are still with me, I'd like to make an announcement. I am currently in the process of wrapping up both of my games on this forum. My fantasy one, Fabricator of Planes, and my superhero/villian one Rebirth of Power. However, I am not done with them, at least not when it comes to story plot. These games were my testing grounds, to see what rule systems worked best for me. I have thoroughly tested each one, but for the players' sake, especially those who hopped in at later dates, I don't want to end it all just yet.

Here is what I am proposing. I am currently learning a new game system on the side right now that offers a fantastic level of character building customization, much like BRP for those who are familiar with Tooley's campaign Silverymoon. It's called GURPS and I'm currently using 4th edition. When I finish each of my games at a certain point, I will archive them as completed and start setting up a new one using the GURPS rule system. In this system, you can choose to build your character in terms of stats, abilities, skills, and even slap on some disadvantages and weaknesses if you prefer. It's all points based and no dice rolls are needed. Lot's of min and maxing, might not be for everyone. But for those who cannot resist the invitation to build a character exactly the way they imagined it, this new game of mine might be for you.

Those in my fantasy game, Fabricator of Planes, can convert their characters over while maintaining their stats and proficiencies and equipment. The story will be picking up after the events of the Fabricator of Planes and will interact with my Rebirth of Power game in a unique way. Some character creation flexibility will be allowed, giving players the opportunity to further develop their characters the way they originally intended them to be.

Those in my Rebirth of Power game can convert their characters as well over to the new game too with relative ease. The story will be picking up after the Green Storm incident and the reprecussions that follows, allowing the group of supers to interact with the heroes of Fabricator of Planes in a unique way. With the GURPS system, you will all be able to create your supers the way you originally imagined them, not being forced to settle for random power rolls, it will be the ultimate character creation process where 4C failed.

This is a lot to spring on to you guys at once, but its not a forced decision either. If none of you care to try out or play the GURPS game system, I will carry on the respective games as they were using the previous characters and rule systems in place. It will just take some time for me to get everything organized.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by tooleychris »

Ugh. I'm Sorry bro but I'm gonna be a hypocritical ass and say I'm really not interested in re-learning GURPS.
Its a good system and can be a lot of fun so I encourage everyone to give it a shot. But, as much as I'm sure to regret it (you're a fun DM ) I think I'll sit it out and watch from afar.

GreyWolfVT

#44 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'll give it a try there Ruke I don't wish to leave the Super/Villain game :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rukellian »

tooleychris wrote:Ugh. I'm Sorry bro but I'm gonna be a hypocritical ass and say I'm really not interested in re-learning GURPS.
Its a good system and can be a lot of fun so I encourage everyone to give it a shot. But, as much as I'm sure to regret it (you're a fun DM ) I think I'll sit it out and watch from afar.
No hard feelings Tooley, I understand. I will just a reserve a spot for you on my waiting list, and perhaps sometime in the future, after lurking for a period of time, you will come around. ;)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I told you via PM already but I'm in Ruke.

You're a fun DM and I'm in all of your games, While I know nothing of Gurps currently (even though I had the books in my desk for months) I'm interested in seeing where you take this crazy ride.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rukellian »

I'm back from my break, hiatus if you would call it such.

I will be taking things nice and slow this time and start off as a player again. A lot of my GM/DM work is still going on in the background, but at a crawl. When my GURPS game is ready for the public, I will be sure to let everyone know; but until then, I will just be a player.

So yeah, I look forward to enjoying DnD with you guys once again ;) If Tooley wants me back in the Silverymoon game, he's got dibs, otherwise I am open to any system. Just send a PM if you would like to have me in your game. Thanks!

-Rukellian

GreyWolfVT

#48 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You know TC wont likely have much issue with that Ruke, welcome back :)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rukellian »

Thanks GreyWolf. I am currently speaking with TC about it, going over some points that may be hard to smooth out. Worst case scenario, I just roll up another character :roll:

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Inferno »

Welcome back, Ruke. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rukellian »

Thanks for the welcome Inferno. It feels good to be back. I've missed the excitement of rolling up a new character :)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rukellian »

So, turns out that what I had in mind for the Gurps game setup was actually a bad idea.

My initial thoughts on the process was that I did not want to force everyone who wants to play a GURPS to buy the books. One thing led to another and I found myself almost copying large sections of the book out in the form of posts for the character creation. Now that I've come to my senses, I now know that this could have been a case of copyright infringement, and that is NOT something I wanted to be guilty of.

Now that that is out of the way, here is the new deal that I will have to have stick with. If I want to run a GURPS game on this site, I will need to find a group of people that actually has the basic Core Rulebook for GURPS. Or... I would need to go out of my way to buy digital copies of the Core Rulebook for each player in my group. Either way, its going to be hard for me to introduce an in-depth character creation walkthrough for you guys strictly through posts. There is so much content to cover, but there is only so much I can post without it being illegal.

Most other games that are run on this site can work just fine, mainly because everyone is either familiar with the rule systems being used, or they have the books already. For GURPS... not so much :roll:

For those who are interested in playing the Rebirth of Power reboot, the super hero themed game, I want to hear what you guys think of the current options open to me right now. Which would you all be more comfortable with? I can buy the books, but then you would have to trust that the pdfs I send your way will be safe and not corrupted. Buying the books or pdfs for yourself is the other option, but, again, I don't feel completely comfortable with the idea of forcing you to buy the books just so that I can run the game as GURPS.

-Rukellian

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by tooleychris »

I wont be joining this game, sadly, so my opinion may be inconsequential. However I would be careful purchasing any material for others just so they can play. Players come and go, or they might just decide they don't like the system 10 posts into it.
When I decided to run a BRP campaign, which few are familiar with, I'd have never tried it if chaosium didn't offer a free basic rules book. And even then I'd only hoped players would like the system enough to purchase a book on their own. :)
Good luck!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

tooleychris wrote:I wont be joining this game, sadly, so my opinion may be inconsequential. However I would be careful purchasing any material for others just so they can play. Players come and go, or they might just decide they don't like the system 10 posts into it.
When I decided to run a BRP campaign, which few are familiar with, I'd have never tried it if chaosium didn't offer a free basic rules book. And even then I'd only hoped players would like the system enough to purchase a book on their own. :)
Good luck!
I agree with Chris here.

If players want to play, they should pay for their own copy of the rules. That's how we support the industry - buy purchasing rule sets and modules and what have you.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

GreyWolfVT

#55 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I agree don't go and buy the ruleset for the players Ruke. If people are interested they'll get the basic rules or just ask the DM a million and one questions. Also I know it's crazy of me but I don't give source materials away I merely share them online so others can read but not download them...there area always like Pulpatoon run a free ruleset like he did/does ever so often ;) just some general advice/random spewing of words. :D

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Rukellian »

I'm returning to the site after a long break and I have officially hung up the mantle of DM for good. Now, I just want to be able to enjoy a classic dungeon run or fantasy adventure with the awesome folks of the Unseen Servant Forums.

Hello, I will go by the name of Rukellian on this site! My experience in RPG games mainly extends to OSRIC, 1e AD&D, 2e AD&D, and GURPS 4th edition. I have dabbled in a few other systems but didn't get too far with them. If anyone would like to fit me into their game, do let me know via PM. I won't be able to participate in too many games right now; just looking at doing one at the moment. As far as my gaming chops are concerned, I believe I still have a reputation of being a great roleplayer. I'm sure others will have their own short stories about me so if you need any references, just look up my previous work in the completed game section. My former players can give you an accurate description of what kind of person I was.

Thank you, everyone, for your future consideration and understanding.

-Rukellian (Ruke)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by rredmond »

Good to see you Ruke!
Really good. Glad you are back!
—Ron—
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#58 Post by dmw71 »

It's great to have you back, Ruke. You've been a solid asset to the forums here, without question.
Rukellian wrote:As far as my gaming chops are concerned, I believe I still have a reputation of being a great roleplayer.
This is unquestionable. It's too bad you don't play 5e. ;)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Rukellian »

Haven't had the opportunity to try out 5e. These past few months, I've been mainly a GURPS guy. If you were to show me a good example of a 5e game on this site, I would definitely look it over in my free time, read up on it, and maybe even purchase the core rule book if my interest is piqued enough.

*hint hint, nudge nudge*

My main element, outside of GURPS, would definitely be 1st and 2nd edition, if only because of the amount of time I've spent playing those systems. Helps that I have the rulebooks for them as well.

GreyWolfVT

#60 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nudge nudge help us in the yawning portal game ;)

Glad you are back once more Ruke! :D thought I am sad to read the line about "hung up the DM mantle" :( But you are back! :)
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Introductions and welcomes”