Session 1: The House of the Three Squires

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Session 1: The House of the Three Squires

#181 Post by Faolan7 »

Ah, okay. Well, then in that case...

Isabelle: As you're weaving your spell, a thought crosses your mind. You're angry that Swelan, your friend, is threatening Peitharian, your adopted father. You quickly erase the thought, however, and the spell appears to have weaved itself into the drink as normal.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I think any further mapping should be a beginners luck test by someone else. Swekan can help and use a check to earn credit too. Samechance of success but two people earn a check that way.
Swelan and Peitharian both have Cartographer 2. Magda is MIA, and Isabelle can't initiate the test because we need to take turns. Beginner's Luck also halves the Help, so you'd lose dice. I suggest Swelan map the countryside between town and here with Cartographer help from Peitharian and Scholar help from Magda and Isabelle.

She lifts her chin high, steeling her confidence, and extends the foamy mug to Swelan. "Here. This should perk you up."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I hadn't noticed that Peitharian had cartographer. Thanks. I'll take that test then. If Peitharian wanted to use a check on the help (to get a test marked), I am fine with him taking one of the checks. I'll let Marullus and Coil think on that though. Maybe we should save it though. Can Peitharian use a check to help Isabelle resolve angry? Maybe sitting and praying with her? Or is that a special skill - I know halflings can do that.

Swelan accepts the drink, smiling at its presentation and feels refreshed. Thank you, Isabelle. You were right, I am not the Swelan you knew. But i endeavor to be him again, and I am dedicated to the safety of you all. Your hospitality reminds me of my vows, which bind me even in this wretched form.

Peitharian, I acknowledge it was wrong of me to taunt you. It was ill conceived, brought on by hunger and fatigue. And shame for what I am. I appreciate your intentions and, should you be willing, I would ask your aid as I attempt to map our route here.
Swelan produces another sheaf of parchment and discusses their route, adding in points of interest and topographical concerns as described by his three companions. Though awkward at first, he is pleased to see everyone pull together, their differences forgotten for the time being - ...almost as if by magic... he muses.

2D (Cartographer) + 3D from Peitharian (cartographer), Isabelle and Magda (scholar) = 5D vs Ob 2 (I think)
[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 5[1d6] = 2[1d6] = 1
Two successes. Was that the right Ob, still? If so, I'll mark if passed. And if he wants, Coil can take a check as mentioned above.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Marullus »

Oh! I didn't read that as the Angry condition. Is that the Angry condition as the twist?

So... When Swelan drinks the latte... I mean... Elixir against Exhaustion, the spell would also trigger. This then invokes a versus test of Enchanter vs his Will. We can roll the 2D vs 4D and log the test? Extra complication: undead are immune to this spell. Do we skip the test (thus losing the advancement), or do the test but ignore a successful result?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I thought the advancement was given vs the failed enchanment. I didnt see a consequence against the failed barrista test. I'd like to gain a test vs Will!

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#186 Post by Faolan7 »

Oh, no. Isabelle didn't gain the Angry condition. I would be more explicit if she did. That was the foreshadowing for the twist. I'm sorry for the miscommunication. Let me fix up everything.

I thought to combine the two fails into one twist since the tests both happened as "one action". Isabelle's angry though was that foreshadowing. And, Rusty, your wish is granted.

Swelan: As you drink the elixir, your feel relaxed - for a moment. Not long after your first sip, you feel anger welling up inside you. The anger of being transformed into a monster, and the anger of being rejected for what you are. Please make an Ob 1 Will test to avoid falling into a rage.

If I ever overstep my bounds, please do say so. I know Thread of Friendship isn't supposed to affect undead, but I thought this was a good twist.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ob1 vs Will 4 [1d6] = 3[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 2

In life, Sir Swelan was a respected guide for pilgrims, clergy and noble-born. He had earned their respect with his knowledge of the wilds. Having these misfit-companions surround him and coax his map making is warming and the anger dissipates.

Will test marked as passed.

Was the Exhausted condition alleviated?

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#188 Post by Faolan7 »

No, it was not. The drink was very tasty though.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Marullus »

It is good twist! Not out of bounds. :) Since you have two twists to inflict, having the Exhausted not be removed and then having Angry be inflicted (with the successful charm) accounts for both. Normally, though, I think you'd do one or the other? Either fail in intent, or succeed with a condition/twist. Right? Sorry, Rusty, for serving you Angry-coffee. :)

Rusty - I think we do need the vs test, unless the "no undead" thing mitigates it. Explanation: Isabelle isn't capable of actually casting a spell; this situation just looks confusing because of the close proximity of the impacts. Technically, it is like she is scribing a scroll (one test), then casting the spell from the scroll (second test, as a versus). So, the "succeed with a condition" was applied to the "scribe a scroll" function, allowing the spell to be in effect but with the side-effect of making you angry. Recording the "casting" test is the only positive result for us in that spell being successfully cast. :) If we don't get the versus test, then it is like having three consequences for two failures... Swelan should lose Exhausted and get Angry, in that case.

Her side of the Vs. test...

Enchanter [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 2 Thoughtful [1d6] = 3 Morgul [1d6] = 5

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Faolan7 wrote:No, it was not. The drink was very tasty though.
Just caught this comment. :lol:
Will vs Enchanter [1d6] = 1[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 1[1d6] = 5
Decided not to bother using a trait for this. 1 success each. Who "wins"?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Marullus »

You can earn Two Checks by breaking a tie in your opponent's favor using a Trait. I humbly suggest you use Cadaverous against yourself and let Isabelle succeed. :) Otherwise, we could break a tie in your own favor by spending a Fate point (which we don't have yet). If neither happens, then we ignore the result and it goes to a tiebreaker roll-off with both of us rolling Will.

If we're still continuing forward, I'll go IC and have her manufacture fireworks as soon as the cartographer test is adjudicated.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

But I cannot use a trait against myself to earn checks during the camp phase. Unless that is different with a versus test. Am I using the trait against myself or for Marullus?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Marullus »

I decided to ask Thor and see if we get a response. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

OOOOOHHHHHH!!!! We're practically famous! :mrgreen: Thanks for asking.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Marullus »

Designers say we need to go to a roll-off of Will vs. Will.

Will 6: [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6
Will 6: [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 2 Thoughtful [1d6] = 1
(4 successes)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Will 4 [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 3

Swelan loses. But he's immune, right? Though I am prone to playing it as if it works, deepening his resolve to protect her. BFFs! And with an undead guy, that second F is, like, FOREVER.

Return to “The Torchbearers of Kroyia (Torchbearer)”