Session 1: The House of the Three Squires

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 1: The House of the Three Squires

#21 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Faolan7 wrote:Swelan: The common room appears to be abandoned. Whatever attacked the patrons of the House has already left.
This is my biggest challenge in TB. I like to add in little bits of descriptions of things to fill in the fluff. They can be interpreted as an invitation to take a test. Which gives conditions and advances the grind. :o

Swelan nods at the information. Kobolds. I've heard stories about the. Dog-headed goblins, if I recall correctly. ;)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Enoch »

Magda nods in agreement. "I've read about them. Unnatural creatures...like me." She pauses for a moment, her eyes casting up and her right foot tapping gently on the floor, as if she's trying to remember something.

I have a question about Hunter. At several points the skill refers to "beasts", which I assume would exclude kobolds. If that's not the interpretation, I'd like to see if I can remember anything about their food or prey (an Ob2 Hunter test, if I'm reading the skill factors correctly). If not, under the Nature section of the skill, it says I can test versus a creature's Nature to learn their descriptors, weapons, and might.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

How much Lore does Isabelle have about Kobolds as a result of the succeeded test? (three degrees of success over Ob2, perhaps three items worth from the investigation? Fact-it-is-Kobolds, then one or two useful things about them here?)

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#24 Post by Faolan7 »

Enoch: I think normally Hunter would apply here, but since kobolds are a "rare" creature in this campaign setting, I'm going to make you use your Nature here. Sorry. After you experience kobolds a little bit, I would allow Hunter though, as Magda would become familiar with the creature.

Marullus: Yeah, I was thinking about adding more stuff, but I couldn't word it properly, so I left it out. I apologize. I'd say Isabelle could remember a couple common facts about kobolds:
-They prefer to live underground.
-Kobolds love traps and find it hilarious when someone is caught in one.
-Male kobolds have colorful head crests are are obsessed with bombs.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

Isabelle relates the tales of Kobolds from her Creature Compendiums, both childhood fables and factual tomes recopied over millennia. She speaks excitedly, tale after tale. Then she abruptly stops, catching herself and looking guiltily at Peitharian. The Church Tells Truth... I am supposed to set aside these fairytales.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by coil23 »

Initially, Peitharian was about to march forward to grab the girl when she impulsively steps into the house. In the church, his preoccupation was to keep Isabelle out of mischief. But out in the world...and now on this site of violence- much more was at stake than etiquette and moral learning. Though still unsure of Swelan, he nods approvingly when the "man"? steps forward to be protective of the others. Though it may no longer beat, we shall discover the heart of this man on our journey. For now it is true: Swelan will help keep the girl safe as well. That small amount of relief allows the mystery around them to come back to the fore.

What happened here? We must find out what happened to the others. The church must tend to its people. Let it start here. A niggling thought intrudes that fretting over the girl's safety (and lack of judgment) will sorely try his concentration on the church's work. So be it. Leave the easy tasks to the venal bishops who sit in comfort and suck grapes while passing judgment. To the task then...

Still unsure of what happened here and even what might still be here, Peitharian keeps his scold to a whisper. Girl! You do not go rushing in! We go together and let a sword of the church lead the way. There is danger here. He nods toward Swelan and then realigns his disapproval back onto Isabelle though doubtful the sustained glare of reproach will have nearly as much effect out in this exciting new environment.

When she begins her sniffing in unison with the mastiff, the cleric bristles at first but realizes they need all of their skills in this moment. He secretly approves of her guiltily remembering and catching herself with telling tales. A moral education shines through occasionally, I see. Right now they need information in such danger but he shan't encourage such behavior (multi-tasking is serving the lord twice!) so he gives a frown of warning before saying, well, just this once so we may better proceed.

Traps! That worries his mind the most once it is uttered.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Marullus »

Enoch wrote:Magda nods in agreement. "I've read about them. Unnatural creatures...like me." ]
The mood goes flat with Magda's frank acknowledging of her monstrousness. Isabelle purses her lips like she is sucking a lemon.

She visibly winces under the cleric's scolding. She sees the glance of approval at Swelan contrasted with the scowl as he turns back towards her. Her mouth drops open.

"Sword of the Church? Peitharian, he... it... is undead!" she states bluntly in an over-loud whisper. She gives Swelan a sideways dirty look. "It isn't Swelan. He was brave, and my friend. He was FEARED in Hell," she says, angry tears brimming abruptly. "That thing is hell's mockery. That's what the Church says, right? The dead don't come back." Her voice breaks and quavers, You said the dead don't come back..."

Too many emotions at once, a month of not saying anything now brought to a point. She turns abruptly away from Peitharian and drops to a knee, silently petting Morgul. She glowers up at Magda. "There. It is a blood trail. Go smell it."

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Enoch »

Magda nods silently, studiously avoiding looking at any of her companions. She crouches over the blood trail, and follows it to the doorway. She pauses a moment, then cautiously tilts her head to peer through the doorway.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by coil23 »

Peitharian's heart aches for the girl's turmoil and he is not even sure what to do about his own ambivalence but all of that are luxuries they can ill afford in this moment. Oh, Hell is quite sanguine about this situation here, Isabelle, but it has little to do with Swelan. When the demons have nothing to do but sit back and watch our own mistrust and divisiveness crack us asunder from within? That is their true victory. They pick up nary a tool. We grasp them instead and do their work on our own selves. The heat is rising as he feels himself rousing to a fiery sermon. Sputtering to a halt, he looks down a moment and smooths his tunic.

He never asked for this task of caring for her....but against his will he found himself going above and beyond the church's dictates. Girls are such complicated things. Perhaps castigation was not the best method to soothe a girl's doubts. He places a hand awkwardly on her shoulder and is silent for a moment. Softly, We are in danger here, girl. I fear for your safety. And a bit for my own he silently adds. For now let us grasp a tool of the church instead and watch out for one another in this wilderness. And let us find out what happened to the poor souls here. Will you help me with that noble task?

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#30 Post by Faolan7 »

Magda: The kitchen is in a similar state as the common room. The little furniture in here has either been knocked over or destroyed. The blood trail continues through the kitchen and under a closed door on the far side of the room. The scent gets stronger the closer you get to the closed door.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Isabelle, I keep hoping the reason is because I was created in Hell, though I guess our Gods had other reasons. Until I know better, I am content using this body to protect you all as we drove deeper into this mystery. Swelan follows Magda into the kitchen and suggested she be careful of traps. If you wish to press ahead, we should find you a length of wood to prod doors and floors with.

maybe a cost rack, moulding of banister to use as a10' pole?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

Isabelle listens to the thing that looks like Swelan, and sounds like Swelan, her eyes to the floor. With Peitharian's comforting hand and guiding words, she composes herself and quietly nods in acquiescence. Even undead can be tools of the Church... she ponders his words, storing them for later. Danger first.

Her thoughtful demeanor clicks back into place, wiping her face quickly on her sleeve. She pads forward on the balls of her feet, her fingers absently remaining in contact with Morgul's neck scruff. "Kobolds went to trouble to leave that trail... and close the door. If I wanted to laugh at the misfortune of others, it seems a good place to conceal a danger. Not that I do, laugh at misfortune, that is. I'm not a monster," she adds, hurriedly.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#33 Post by Faolan7 »

Swelan: Unable to find a suitable pole in the kitchen, you return to the common room. In here, you find that the stairway railing could be used as a pole, but it is firmly attached.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Strategy talk:

If magda does our scouting, she is going it alone all the time, right? If another character takes the lead with her and takes those tests, he can receive +1D from Magda, which will eventually give us two "people" with Scout. And that character could offer Magda an assist later.

What do you think? It seems if this is going to be a longer campaign, it is worth the effort. Swelan is willing to scout - it fits with his goal of protecting you all. He can probably use his 2-handed sword for testing the ground ahead of them.

If not, does Magda want a 10' pole?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Marullus »

Yeah, Magda didn't pick the instinct yet on her sheet...
I think Magda can choose to scout intentionally with others (like now) but because of the instinct can also interrupt as a solo actor to avert catastrophe later even if we didn't specify scouting. Even if Swelan opens the skill, though, he can't help Magda without a related instinct of his own.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by coil23 »

That sounds sensible to be working on having more than one scout in the group- just so long as one of them hurries back to help if the rearguard gets waylaid.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by Enoch »

She will--the instinct was more about letting us get the drop on opponents and avoid ambushes, not to be a one-man wrecking crew (which would probably go south quickly at any rate). I indicated in the character creation thread that I was going with the Scout instinct--I'll update the character sheet.

I'm fine if we want to build up a second scout, and certainly our armored protector is a good choice (mechanically, his armor doesn't necessarily make the test harder). However, be aware that doing so does split the checks between us--if one of us is getting a check for Scout the other one generally isn't.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Swelan looks to the banister, then to his sword. Knowing full-well he won't forsake his sword for a stick, he walks toward the door again. He pushes at the door with the tip of his sword, hoping that it will give enough distance to increase his safety, should the kobolds have played mischief with it.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by Enoch »

Magda shrugs and steps back away from the doorway. "Have at it, then. Just don't come running to me when one of their little traps has you looking like a pincushion."

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#40 Post by Faolan7 »

Swelan: Despite your careful planning, the wooden door slowly creaks open as you push against it, and...

Nothing happens. The door opens into a dark stairwell with rickety wooden stairs.

Return to “The Torchbearers of Kroyia (Torchbearer)”