(008) Meet Connie Malone

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

(008) Meet Connie Malone

#1 Post by Eris »

Date: 186/1085
Present: Edwardo, Sigrun, Pedro, Chandra, Zaki, Carlos, and John Lee, Sir Keen Haber, Barbara Sikes (his assistant) and Captain Akia Ito

Keen greets you all, "I hope your stay here at the hotel has been pleasant, but I was serious about it being best for your safety if you get away from Regina for a while."

"Let me introduce Captain Akia Ito." Haber indicates the old man that came in with him. Ito has a deeply lined face and walks with a slight limp, "The good Captain is an old friend of my family. He has finally decided to sell his ship and retire here on Regina."

Ito smiles, "Morning everyone. Keen has told a bit about you and that you are looking for a ship. Based on his recommendation I'm willing to sell it to your company. From what Keen has told me I think my Connie Malone will be in good hands."

Deal is worked out and you discover you are getting a hell of a deal! Paying 150,000 a month on a 40 year mortgage with no down payment normally couldn't get you a Free Trader, much less an Akkigish Class Far Trader.

"Here's what LSP wants from your group." says Haber, "We are rotating out Managers at several stations from here to Rangent. That means sending a ship out that will pass through Jenghe, Extolay, Phlume, and then a jump 2 to Rangent. So, we want to contract your new ship to transport high passengers: 2 to Jenghe, 2 to Extolay, 2 to Phlume and 2 all the way to Rangent and then the reverse to bring back the managers from those systems. That would be 400,000 credits total. Any remaining passages and cargo is your to do with as you wish."

Go ahead and post a bit here about the ship and the deal. I'll move you over to the Connie Malone after you work things out a bit here.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (008) Meet Connie Malone

#2 Post by Eris »

Deck Plans are up!

There are 4 stations on the bridge, there was some gray bleed sort of covering up one of them, but they are there. The images aren't quite as clear as I hoped, but I think they are readable. I'll try to get better ones on Google Docs and put in a link to them.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Keven »

Eris wrote:It was 100,000 cr + 200,000 cr more if you proved Lord William dead or brought him back alive. BTW, it appears I've gone through 3 names for the estate: Seabreeze, Seaview and Billinsingham and 2 ranks for His Grace...Earl and Duke. The estate thing can be explained by saying they have more than one and the rank thing can be dealt with by saying Feathershuff is an Imperial Earl and a Regina Duke. There all fixed up! :)
Cash is good. Cash is always good.
Eris wrote:The rest of the meeting goes smoothly. Lady Jane has purchased your cargo transported from Ruie for 100,000 credits and adds that to the 300,000 cr for the mission for Edwardo, Pedro, Carlos and Zaki handing each a check for 100,000 cr. She hands Sigrun, Chandra and John Lee each a check for 50,000 cr, including a bonus for getting Lord William home safely. Everyone's Character Sheet is updated with this infusion of cash.

Sir Haber offers to make the floor at the hotel where some of you stayed previously available to you again while you "Get your feet under you." I assume you accept Haber's offer.
Sounds like a plan to Carlos. He liked that swanky place.
Eris wrote:While all this is going on another person joins the group, Admiral Jorgenson. Jorgenson tells you that the Navy can't just let you run around with the knowledge you have about the situation on Ruie. He gives you a choice of signing a Nondisclosure Agreement or being "guests of the Imperium for the forseeable future." I assume everyone signs.
Carlos glances over the NDA, shrugs, chops and thumbprints it.
Eris wrote:Haber tells you that General Products has finally connected you to your visit to their ship boneyard and he has been told by LSP security that you might be in danger from them. I suggests you might want to stay under cover for now and get off Regina as soon as you can.
No surprise there.
Eris wrote:Date: 186/1085
Present: Edwardo, Sigrun, Pedro, Chandra, Zaki, Carlos, and John Lee, Sir Keen Haber, Barbara Sikes (his assistant) and Captain Akia Ito

Keen greets you all, "I hope your stay here at the hotel has been pleasant, but I was serious about it being best for your safety if you get away from Regina for a while."

"Let me introduce Captain Akia Ito." Haber indicates the old man that came in with him. Ito has a deeply lined face and walks with a slight limp, "The good Captain is an old friend of my family. He has finally decided to sell his ship and retire here on Regina."

Ito smiles, "Morning everyone. Keen has told a bit about you and that you are looking for a ship. Based on his recommendation I'm willing to sell it to your company. From what Keen has told me I think my Connie Malone will be in good hands."

Deal is worked out and you discover you are getting a hell of a deal! Paying 150,000 a month on a 40 year mortgage with no down payment normally couldn't get you a Free Trader, much less an Akkigish Class Far Trader.

"Here's what LSP wants from your group." says Haber, "We are rotating out Managers at several stations from here to Rangent. That means sending a ship out that will pass through Jenghe, Extolay, Phlume, and then a jump 2 to Rangent. So, we want to contract your new ship to transport high passengers: 2 to Jenghe, 2 to Extolay, 2 to Phlume and 2 all the way to Rangent and then the reverse to bring back the managers from those systems. That would be 400,000 credits total. Any remaining passages and cargo is your to do with as you wish."
Carlos whistles. "150 kay a month. If memory serves, a stock Type R is on the order of 100 mil, 20 mil up front, half a mil a month thereabouts." He does some quick math on his hand computer. "So this ship would run us totally 72 mil for longer legs." He looks at the group, then says "I'm thinking we might want to take a look at your ship first, Captain Ito, before we chop the contract. But The Deal sounds like plan to me."
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:Carlos whistles. "150 kay a month. If memory serves, a stock Type R is on the order of 100 mil, 20 mil up front, half a mil a month thereabouts." He does some quick math on his hand computer. "So this ship would run us totally 72 mil for longer legs." He looks at the group, then says "I'm thinking we might want to take a look at your ship first, Captain Ito, before we chop the contract. But The Deal sounds like plan to me."
Haber chuckles, "That's right, a brand new Type RJ, the jump 2 version, goes for about 130 million brand new. Captain Ito's ship isn't brand new and between the Feathershuff family and LSP you're getting the deal of the century."

Ito interrupts, saying, "But by all means take a tour of the Connie Malone before you chop the contract. She's just had her yearly maintenance and she's just as sweet a baby as she was when I bought her 40 years ago."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun nods along with Haber and Carlos' conversation and seems entirely satisfied with the deal.

Then she shares her thoughts on the route “Well the run gets a little more interesting towards the end”. From memory she recites “Jenghe has a Scout base and a small Imperial Marine garrison, Extolay is a Naval Base, Phlume’s an agric world with no gas giant. Now Rangent has a gas giant, three in fact, but Rangent’s over the border in the DMZ - a low law belter town if ever there was one! That’s an interesting place to take an Imperial mail ship - Connie Malone will need to walk tall out there! I'm looking forward to seeing her!"

She grins clearly relishing the challenge of the voyage to come “There might be some chance of cultural exchange too - lots of Vargr live on Extolay” she grins again “but they’re the “tame” Imperial variety. However, in this particular sector of the DMZ we’re only two warship spec jumps from three of the most active Zhodani Naval bases in the Marches. They, of course, observe the strict neutrality of the DMZ - right up to the Imperial border! However, I don't think they'd bother with us”.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ffilz »

This all sounds good to Chandra.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Keven »

ffilz wrote:This all sounds good to Chandra.
Carlos nods. "Eduardo? Zaki? Pedro? John Lee?" He glances at Mr Suit. "I'm gonna go on a limb here and assume we'll need Imperial certifications to crew the ship, yes? Might take us a few days to get those in line." He sips his zapana in thought. "Figure Pedro as skipper, he's pilot. I'd get stuck with XO, astrogator and gunner. Chandra as chief engineer. Sigrun as security and gunner. Zaki as medic. Eduardo as loadmaster and broker-aboard. John Lee as security. We might need to train up on steward and such." He glances around. "Comments?"
In The Marches:
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun agrees with a smile "Pedro's MRE recipies were good but High Passengers will require a chef and the ship's pilot should not mix with the hijack ... um ... passengers! So perhaps we need to think about hiring a full time steward if we are going to offer High Passage. If they're good they will pay for themselves with the extra business and leave us free to crew the ship. My papers should be recognised in the Imperium so I can relieve on the bridge and fly the ship's boat if needed".

(OOC: Do we want to hire some kind of people person with the "Purser's Department" skill set for this job? Are we actually required to?
e.g. Steward 2 or more, Liason, Admin, etc.)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by joertexas »

Keven wrote: Carlos nods. "Eduardo? Zaki? Pedro? John Lee?" He glances at Mr Suit. "I'm gonna go on a limb here and assume we'll need Imperial certifications to crew the ship, yes? Might take us a few days to get those in line." He sips his zapana in thought. "Figure Pedro as skipper, he's pilot. I'd get stuck with XO, astrogator and gunner. Chandra as chief engineer. Sigrun as security and gunner. Zaki as medic. Eduardo as loadmaster and broker-aboard. John Lee as security. We might need to train up on steward and such." He glances around. "Comments?"
"I still have my certs," Zaki confirms.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:(OOC: Do we want to hire some kind of people person with the "Purser's Department" skill set for this job? Are we actually required to?
e.g. Steward 2 or more, Liason, Admin, etc.)
Okay, here are three rules to keep in mind:

To carry High Passages you have to have a crewman or two with Steward. For each level of Steward (including 0) you can carry 2 High Passengers. So, to carry 10 High Passage customers you need 4 levels of Steward (including 0), that could be Steward-0 and Steward-3, or Steward-4, or Steward-1 and Steward-2, or better.

To carry Low Passages you have to have someone with at least Medic-0 and the higher the Medic skill level the more likely the passenger will survive coming out of the cold sleep.

To carry Mail normally you'd have to be a subsidized merchant with both armor, arms and a crewman with Gunnery-0, or more. However, IMTU, any armed and armored ship with a Gunner aboard can carry up to 5 tons of mail at the 5,000 cr/ton rate.

The only Steward skill you have is Pedro's Steward-1, so YES, you are going to need to hire someone with Steward-2 in order to fullfill Sir Haber's deal. Zaki covers the Medic skill needed and you have someone with Gunner, too, so you won't have to hire an NPC for those positions.

Oh, one more thing...

Library
A library room contains computer files as well as lecterns, display screens, holotanks and even hard copies of books. A good library is useful for both research and passing time in jump space. Having a library on board a ship gives one extra week of training time for new skills per week spent in jump space. A library for a spacecraft costs MCr4 and takes up 4 tons of space. That's the Cepheus rule, but I'm going to add a cheaper software solution.

Training Software
For 10,000 per skill you can buy software that provides training in new or existing skills. The software combines knowledge learning and physical training through VR. Having software for a skill you are training gives one extra week of training time per week spent using the software (ie. each week of training equals 2 weeks of benefit).
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ffilz »

I know Chandra had been working on some skills, but I've lost track (can we keep a skill improvement log somewhere?).

Don't we actually just need to add someone with Steward-0 to add the 2 more high passengers?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Keven »

Can we use JoT in place of Steward?
In The Marches:

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:Training Software
For 10,000 per skill you can buy software that provides training in new or existing skills. The software combines knowledge learning and physical training through VR. Having software for a skill you are training gives one extra week of training time per week spent using the software (ie. each week of training equals 2 weeks of benefit).
Zaki will check into a training program to increase her physical strength. Related question posted in OOG section...
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by joertexas »

"I will need to check all of the medical and emergency supplies," Zaki reminds everyone. "That includes the low berths, emergency vacc suits, and aid kits, too."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:"I will need to check all of the medical and emergency supplies," Zaki reminds everyone. "That includes the low berths, emergency vacc suits, and aid kits, too."
Carlos adds, "AND the locker and the computer." He looks at Zaki. "And our cabin, love..."
In The Marches:

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by joertexas »

Keven wrote:Carlos adds, "AND the locker and the computer." He looks at Zaki. "And our cabin, love..."
Zaki focuses on her holo display for a moment. "Okay, those are now on my little list." She smiles. "Along with our cabin. Did you want anything in particular?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Tiglath »

joertexas wrote:"I will need to check all of the medical and emergency supplies," Zaki reminds everyone. "That includes the low berths, emergency vacc suits, and aid kits, too."
Sigrun looks mildly uncomfortable for a moment and then smirks at Zaki "You've already checked mine! I'll help you with the Vacc suits when you are ready. If we got an autodoc it would make managing revivals a lot easier. As a bonus you get to not be treated by "Nurse Sigrun" if you go down".

She respectfully addresses the retiring skipper "Captain Ito, I'm Sigrun - I'll be keeping Connie safe. I'd like to inspect any weapons you keep for ship security and, perhaps once the contract's signed" she smiles "maybe you'd brief me on how you run security now. Do you run Anti Hijack? Or any crew tracking or recognition protocols?"

Sigrun will purchase Training Software to continue her self improvement in Recon (she and Whistler had about a week's worth on route to Ruie).

Whilst training herself as above she trained Chandra in Shotgun (OOC: Can you do both simultanteously?) so he got a week on way to Ruie and a week on the return trip.

(OOC:
I'll deduct the cash from my sheet as expenses are approved if that works?
Is Whistler sticking with us?
If not Sigrun will want to hire another "soldier" type - unless John Lee becomes full time security guy).

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Nuke66 »

So, by my count, 7 characters. If everyone kicks in 100,000 CR, that's our starting funds.

Edwardo will lend the three lacking the required 50,000 CR. At only a minimal interest rate. :D

We have 152T of cargo space to fill, less and mail we backfill with. I think we will do better with cargo than mail. Then of course there is fuel, and any upgrades we want. A steward is a must as well.

Let's start with cargo options, and passage then we know our budget.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Tiglath »

Nuke66 wrote: Edwardo will lend the three lacking the required 50,000 CR. At only a minimal interest rate. :D
Sigrun will be grateful for the loan.

(OOC: Much obliged! Will there be an option to buy back our vital organs / immortal souls from Edwardo? :D

I also think we need to hire a Hostage Steward as well. Maybe even an Steward and a Steward's assistant - so a skill 2 and a skill 1 person? It is a requirement but then also means we don't have to deal with the passengers at all. We also get to eat less MREs! ;) )

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun looks mildly uncomfortable for a moment and then smirks at Zaki "You've already checked mine! I'll help you with the Vacc suits when you are ready. If we got an autodoc it would make managing revivals a lot easier. As a bonus you get to not be treated by "Nurse Sigrun" if you go down".
Zaki shakes her head with a smile. "You could always take a basic medic course, you know, and we've had the discussion about your meds." She thinks for a moment. "The autodoc is a good idea, I'll check into it."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”