(005) Ready for Ruie!

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

(005) Ready for Ruie!

#1 Post by Eris »

OOC: You can continue to use 004 to finish up your time aboard The Old Dream, but when you're ready to land on Ruie and begin your search and extraction. Move over here.

You come out of jump with a gut wrenching "THUMP!" for some people transitioning is sickening event that can keep them in bed for hours, for others it's only a second of disorientation. Those that have transition sickness the worse, well, they learn to stay out of space, so everyone aboard...except Lady Jane...has sort of been self-selected to not have much trouble with it.

https://travellermap.com/?x=-96.562&y=71&scale=64 Click on Ruie and then click on the triangles for more information.

Ruie is a greenish blue marble on the screens. A pair of small moons can be seen glinting in the light of the orange star Ruie orbits. You can listen to the communications between the surface and the ship over the intercoms in your cabins or in the lounge. Everything appears to be routine. There are four star ports on Ruie, each compete with the others for ships.

You're landing in a nation state called Bengal, at the star port just outside Tabor City. The Tabor star port is the smallest and least developed of the four on Ruie, but it is located near a large jungle area known for its hunting. Your permits from the Ruie Hunting Commission allow you to hunt in any of the designated areas on the planet, but Bengal is where the POW camp was located, only about 40 miles outside of Tabor City, so landing here makes the most sense.

The ship lands smoothly and a local official comes aboard. After a quick look at your papers he leaves, simply saying that your permits allow pistols, rifles and shotguns for your hunting, but all to be kept locked away when outside the hunting preserves. He reminds you to obey all local laws or suffer the consequences.

Speaking of hunting, you've taken a look at the Ship's Locker. There are six hunting rifles and 4 shotguns in the locker along with several boxes of bullets and shells. There are a dozen filter masks, needed for outdoor activities here on Ruie due to native pollen and spoors in the atmosphere. You understand that a couple of months of slowly adjusting to the local conditions would allow you to forgo the masks, but until then breathing unfiltered air could lead to anything from irritation of the eyes and mucus membranes to anaphylactic shock and death. Those that don't have clothing suitable for the jungle can buy them locally.

You also find that the yacht has a large grav craft in the hold that can carry 8 people and enough supplies for a week safari.

You might want to take a group inventory as to your personal weapons and armor as well.

Lady Jane has sent word that she is "indisposed" and probably will be for the next day or two. She asks that you "get on with things" in her absence.

During the last week you've all discussed how to find out more about Luzan and Lord William. A couple of things you've thought of are:

1. Jose Kenny, the guard that Charlie Hart thinks knows more about what happened to Lord William said he lives in Tabor City, but has no idea where in the city he lives or even if he is still in the city. It is a place to start, though.

2. A local library or newspaper, yes Ruie still has those, might be a good place to learn more about Luzan.

Edwardo probably wants to deal with selling the cargo he has in the hole before anything else.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (005) Ready for Ruie!

#2 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:You come out of jump with a gut wrenching "THUMP!" for some people transitioning is sickening event that can keep them in bed for hours, for others it's only a second of disorientation. Those that have transition sickness the worse, well, they learn to stay out of space, so everyone aboard...except Lady Jane...has sort of been self-selected to not have much trouble with it.
Zaki rides through her first translation in her cabin, just in case. Her previous starship trip was taken while she was in a low berth, and she had never previously left her homeworld. She watches and listens on the ship's comm as they make their approach and landing.
Eris wrote:You also find that the yacht has a large grav craft in the hold that can carry 8 people and enough supplies for a week safari.

You might want to take a group inventory as to your personal weapons and armor as well.

During the last week you've all discussed how to find out more about Luzan and Lord William. A couple of things you've thought of are:

1. Jose Kenny, the guard that Charlie Hart thinks knows more about what happened to Lord William said he lives in Tabor City, but has no idea where in the city he lives or even if he is still in the city. It is a place to start, though.

2. A local library or newspaper, yes Ruie still has those, might be a good place to learn more about Luzan.
OOG: Zaki has her personal 8mm autopistol with two spare 15rd magazines, plus 200 total rounds of ammo, and a large medical kit.

Once the ship is landed and the official leaves, Zaki looks to the group. "We will need to maintain the appearance of hunters on safari," she begins. "We will need to be discreet about our inquiries in Tabor City, and we won't be able to carry weapons while we are there."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eclipse
Strider
Strider

#3 Post by Eclipse »

joertexas wrote: OOG: Zaki has her personal 8mm autopistol with two spare 15rd magazines, plus 200 total rounds of ammo, and a large medical kit.

Once the ship is landed and the official leaves, Zaki looks to the group. "We will need to maintain the appearance of hunters on safari," she begins. "We will need to be discreet about our inquiries in Tabor City, and we won't be able to carry weapons while we are there."
John Lee states that he will check out the Grav vehicle. That involves familiarizing himself with the controls and using his electronics and mechanic skills, in addition to his air/raft skill, to verify that it is structurally sound and the controls are reliable. JLP has a pair of magnum revolvers, and an SMG. I'll deal with smuggling the SMG out later. He also has a suit of cloth armor. No markings on it. Ref Question: Do former military and IISS personal have skill 0 with the rifles and shotguns?
Into the Marches
John Lee Petamore, IISS 3 terms
7A7865
Mechanical - 1, Electronics - 1, Streetwise - 1, SMG - 1, Revolver - 2, Air/Raft - 3

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun states “We should inventory our military assets”. She hefts a carry case onto the table and deftly removes the rifle carried by Imperial Marines. “Gauss - four mil saboted hollow points”. She indicates the squat weapon system mounted beneath the rifle’s barrel “Underslung 4cm RAM grenade launcher - gives a squad support option. You’ve seen my autosnub. It’s an Ulfberht from Gram - 10mm caseless with 15 HEAP rounds for soft armour. I have a sound suppressor for my backup automatic. My combat armour and my vacc suit both have night vision packs and orbital comms. In my room I have three cases of grenades – stun, frag and some smokes”.

“We will need to deploy as much military gear as possible for the extraction unless we simply want to join Jarl William in prison. I suggest we can just walk our soft armour planetside as the property of Lady Jane’s bodyguards but we will need as much firepower and protection as possible otherwise our own casualties will prevent us moving swiftly enough to carry out the extraction”.
Eclipse wrote:John Lee states that he will check out the Grav vehicle. That involves familiarizing himself with the controls and using his electronics and mechanic skills, in addition to his air/raft skill, to verify that it is structurally sound and the controls are reliable.
She turns to John Lee “In your time in the Scout service did you come across the concept of smuggling via deep concealment in vehicles? We will need to use as many nooks and crannies as we can find on the grav carrier to conceal as much gear as we can for the extraction. Some welding might be required”.

“Perhaps first we should take the carrier on a test flight and clear dirtside customs just to check their security? I'll ride along if you'll have me”.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Eclipse
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by Eclipse »

John Lee rubs his head and gives a wry grin, "Well, I've always considered customs regulations to be more like general guidelines. I may be able to work something out.

He points to the Gauss rifle, "Problem with a weapon like that is the power signature, in addition to the visual outline. It will need to be stripped down for for transport. Mix the components in with other gear to break up that rifle look. The batteries can be tucked along side the power systems. That should mask their signature. Ammo for that is kinda distinctive as well. More of you bring, harder it is to conceal. "

This is probably the longest answer anyone present has heard John Lee give on any topic.

He pauses in thought, then continues, "Taking a trip outside the Starport perimeter is a good idea. We should take more than one before we load up. Get 'em used to seeing us. Let's take a hop after I finished looking the ride over."
Into the Marches
7A7865
Mechanical - 1, Electronics - 1, Streetwise - 1, SMG - 1, Revolver - 2, Air/Raft - 3

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun’s smile broadens into a grin as John Lee reveals his expertise. "I can easily strip it down". She adds “They are relatively low tech here so we may have an advantage. Chem sniffers and the like may be thrown off by the guns and ammunition we are authorised to carry. Let’s try them and see what we can see”.

She nods agreement “Lets present ourselves as bored security and let them know we’ll be regularly in and out on recon for things for our guests to shoot. Maybe we could use that idea and take stuff through in parts and stash it in the wilderness. I have an inertial locator for navigation”.

Still grinning at John Lee she adds “Roadtrip - I’ll get beer”.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (005) Ready for Ruie! -- The Dragon Grav Vehicle

#7 Post by Eris »

John has probably already looked the souped up air/raft over. It is a TL-C 6 dton Dragon grav utility vehicle with four rows of double bucket seats. Seating is for the pilot and a "shotgun" up front with three rows of double seats behind for passengers. The Dragon is a convertible model with a hard roof making the interior air tight. The hard top can fold back at speeds up to 60 kpm making the vehicle open air when desired. Space for cargo is a open trunk area behind the fourth row of seats and all three of the passenger rows of seats can be folded down to accommodate even more storage.

The drive for the vehicle is a quad grav module setup with a module at each corner. Redundancy has been added so even if one module goes down the redundant module will keep it floating, although forward speed will be reduced. The grav modules are strong enough to lift the vehicle to orbital height, if required, but they aren't optimized for that sort of vertical lift. The Dragon is rated at a maximum speed of 600 kph, with a cruising speed of 300 kph, and a flight time of 300 hours on its internal fuel cells.

The Dragon's electronics and flight controls are top notch. There is a continental range radio aboard as well as a Laser comm for communications with satellites and ships in orbit. There is a near military grade sensor array built into the craft's body and both bottom and forward looking IR sensors with software based foliage penetration for seeing through dense forest and jungle growth.

Although, the Dragon is not armored, its air frame is made from a tungsten alloy, so it is both strong and light. The documentation talks about the ability of the Dragon to take the "scrapes and bangs" that happen when you use it in wilderness areas. What isn't directly said, but is clear is that it should be able to absorb a good bit of damage from light arms without going down or putting those aboard in danger.

John Lee quickly finds several spots where small items could be hidden. There are some obvious ones, but if you dig a little deeper you can find hidey holes beneath obvious concealed spaces. Best of all, all the concealed spaces can be explained away as "access to equipment" or in similar ways. Although, it is a smuggler's dream, it's a hunter's dream vehicle as well!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eclipse
Strider
Strider

#8 Post by Eclipse »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun’s smile broadens into a grin as John Lee reveals his expertise. "I can easily strip it down". She adds “They are relatively low tech here so we may have an advantage. Chem sniffers and the like may be thrown off by the guns and ammunition we are authorised to carry. Let’s try them and see what we can see”.

She nods agreement “Lets present ourselves as bored security and let them know we’ll be regularly in and out on recon for things for our guests to shoot. Maybe we could use that idea and take stuff through in parts and stash it in the wilderness. I have an inertial locator for navigation”.

Still grinning at John Lee she adds “Roadtrip - I’ll get beer”.
"Multiple trips it is. First one we go totally clean, other than sidearms and allowed long arms. We'll pack light. First trip is general recon."
"Should vary the times we go out. Learn if there is a regular schedule for security teams, or if they are rotating."

John Lee will show up for the flight in an IISS jumpsuit with lots of patches, and oddly enough, regulation boots. He has a magnum revolver holstered at his right hip and a large knife in a cross draw sheath on his left hip. He is carrying a shotgun, bandoleer of shells, and a light backpack.
Into the Marches
7A7865

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by joertexas »

Eclipse wrote:John Lee will show up for the flight in an IISS jumpsuit with lots of patches, and oddly enough, regulation boots. He has a magnum revolver holstered at his right hip and a large knife in a cross draw sheath on his left hip. He is carrying a shotgun, bandoleer of shells, and a light backpack.
Zaki looks him over as she readies herself for a trip into town. "You do realize you will be arrested if you're caught wearing all of that outside the hunting preserves? While you're doing whatever you're planning, can you drop me off at the local library?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun appears ready for the trip wearing an auto pistol in a shoulder rig and carrying a hunting rifle. She has invited Chandra along for some shooting practice. She is wearing combat boots and a black form fitting tailored vac suit with a small power pack on her belt so the suit’s systems can keep her cool. She wears her crew jacket redundantly over the top either out of habit or to keep her look professional. She has a small carry bag with her and an axe. It is shorter than a fire axe and the skeletal blade angles sharply toward the handle which appears to be decorated with runic lettering and designs. The reverse of the axe head bears a wickedly serrated spike which curves back towards the handle. She smiles and offers “It’s in case of hostile trees”.
joertexas wrote:Zaki looks him over as she readies herself for a trip into town. "You do realize you will be arrested if you're caught wearing all of that outside the hunting preserves? While you're doing whatever you're planning, can you drop me off at the local library?"
Sigrun appears to be in high spirits after the confinement of jump space and grins at Zaki “We’re going hunting - Chandra’s going to shoot rocks! Please think about taking Whistler along with you as top cover. You’ll need to look after him though - he’s infantry and they’re uneasy around books!”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun appears to be in high spirits after the confinement of jump space and grins at Zaki “We’re going hunting - Chandra’s going to shoot rocks! Please think about taking Whistler along with you as top cover. You’ll need to look after him though - he’s infantry and they’re uneasy around books!”
"I haven't asked him, but I'm fairly sure Carlos will come with me. As you say, though, taking Whistler with us is wise. We also need to look for that former guard. If they will, maybe Edwardo and Pedro can take Charlie with them. Where are they, anyway?"

She looks around to see if the aforementioned people are close by...
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eclipse
Strider
Strider

#12 Post by Eclipse »

John Lee frowns, "Zaki has a point. Perhaps we should should only take people who are going to the hunting preserve. It's best to keep things simple the first time through."

"There should be some sort of local transportation for folks going to town. Or we can do a big 'shore leave' run once we get back. Advantages to both."
Into the Marches
7A7865

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Nuke66 »

Edwardo tries to catch up, he moves into the star port to see if he can't scare up a buyer.

OOC: Side arms ok for the socialites again?

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by joertexas »

Nuke66 wrote:Edwardo tries to catch up, he moves into the star port to see if he can't scare up a buyer.

"Edwardo," Zaki calls to him. "Can you take Charlie and try to find that former guard while you're in town? Maybe Pedro will also go with you."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Eris »

Nuke66 wrote:Edwardo tries to catch up, he moves into the star port to see if he can't scare up a buyer.

OOC: No, not this time. Ruie doesn't like the Imperium, so they don't allow the normal courtesies that an Imperial or Imperial Client state would allow.

NPC:
Whistler is looking at a hand computer screen, "Uh, guys, these Ruieians are strict about their weapon laws. No hand guns, no rifles, no firearms of any kind allowed outside their hunting preserves. Yeah, shotguns are okay, but they'll arrest ya' for carrying one down the street."

"Looks like the procedure is to check out through the Custom's Gate here at the port." he screws up his nose as he talks, "If you have any sort of firearms they have to be in locked cases or safe. Then you're checked again when you get to an entry gate to one of the preserves and checked again when you leave there and when you re-enter the star port. That's four checks, plus what they call random field checks if a game warden runs across you while you're hunting."

"Edwardo, you can't even carry your revolver and no armed body guards allowed." Whistler adds frowning, "Like I said tough...and the penalties look serious, too. A fine for the first offense, but mandatory jail time of up to 3 months escalating up to 15 years for future offenses. Geeze!"

"Lady and gentlemen, please, don't forget the wear a filter mask if you're planning to breath the air out there." adds the Steward walking into the room with several small filter masks in a box.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (005) Ready for Ruie! -- Selling the Spec Cargo

#16 Post by Eris »

Speculative cargo is 6 tons of Leather goods purchased for 36,000 Cr. Edwardo owns 4 tons, Pedro has 1 ton and Zaki has 1 ton.

Once Edwardo puts out what he has, he gets several offers to buy from local brokerages. The best offer is 20,000 cr per ton. If he takes it Edwardo, Pedro and Zaki well get 120,000 Cr on their 36,000 Cr investment.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by ffilz »

Chandra will go unarmed then.

I'm not quite sure what the plan is and how Chandra will fit into it.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun responds “Those are pretty strict … guidelines but John Lee and I are looking at a “workaround” for the gun issue and Zaki’s research at the library may give us at least something to work with on Luzan”.

“However, this entire mission turns on developing one slim lead – Jose Kenny. Our information amounts to “he may once have lived in Tabor City” and Charlie can take a guess at his age. We also know that Ruieans hate Imperials and offworlders show out all day long because they wear filter masks. I suggest we sub contract”.

“I’ll need credit facilities and a budget of about ten thousand Imperial. I propose we contract private investigators in Tabor City and set them to finding Kenny for us - because, frankly, we have no chance. Now, unless any of you can pull off a “non Imperial and Ruie friendly” accent I’ll get on the comm.”

If this gets consent she'll set it up and then complete an "entirely legal" flight with John Lee to check out customs. The yacht has brought hunting parties here before - they must have all the lock boxes etc to hand.
ffilz wrote:I'm not quite sure what the plan is and how Chandra will fit into it.
(OOC: There's no plan yet - we have nowhere near enough information. We are hoping to gather some soon ;) ).

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Nuke66 »

"Sub-contracting sounds like a good plan. Perhaps that will work better. And, we can afford it."

Edwardo takes Charlie and Pedro into the star port anyway, they might just get lucky.

And, sure, we'll dump the leather! In addition, he'll poke around for freight for the return trip.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:“I’ll need credit facilities and a budget of about ten thousand Imperial. I propose we contract private investigators in Tabor City and set them to finding Kenny for us - because, frankly, we have no chance. Now, unless any of you can pull off a “non Imperial and Ruie friendly” accent I’ll get on the comm.”
"Sounds good to me," Zaki replies. She makes sure her filter mask is working, and that her comm is tied into the ship's systems so she can be tracked. She also checks into tying into the local global positioning system network (if they have one). "I still want to go to the local library and do some basic research before we get too far afield. I'll keep my comm's tracker running so you know where I am." She turns to Carlos. "Do you want to go with me?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”