[006] Rescue on Ruie!

Eris
Keven
Ranger
Ranger

Re: [006] Rescue on Ruie!

#281 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Keven wrote:Carlos adds, "Small boats are alright. Cheap to run, cheap to get ahold of. We could use a bigger one, though, if we want to do the Daibei run. A 6 or 800 dtonner would be better. More room, for one thing. More space for things like life support spares. It is not fun to breathe toxic air. We had that problem in the old Serpent class couriers. After 12 weeks, if you didn't flush out the life support, it could kill you." He strokes her hair some more, gently working out a small knot, remembering a time back in the day. "Damned khest'n low bid contractors..."
Zaki takes a breath and focuses on what her lover is saying, while the reality of this moment stokes the heat in her belly. "There has to be a breakeven point; what we can run and maintain, and what we can reasonably purchase." The blonde rises up on her knees, gently plucks the glass from his hands, and presses gently on his chest. "Lie back." When Carlos complies, Zaki swings her leg over his, straddling him. A shadow of pain crosses her face as her damaged hip protests, but she drives it back. There were more pressing matters to consider, and she set about doing some of those things with a loving smile on her face.
Carlos steadies her. "Careful, dear, don't overstress that hip." He supports her all the way down for a kiss. "Try laying on me, it'll take some of the stress off. No hurry, dear, no hurry..."
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by joertexas »

Keven wrote:Carlos steadies her. "Careful, dear, don't overstress that hip." He supports her all the way down for a kiss. "Try laying on me, it'll take some of the stress off. No hurry, dear, no hurry..."
Zaki doesn't hurry, and, sometime later, she lies down on Carlos' torso, her head on his chest. "I can hear your heartbeat," she says quietly, "and I want to stay right here for a while, if I'm not too heavy." She completely relaxes atop him, breathes "I love you", and drifts off to sleep.

For reference, Zaki's 5'5" and 95lbs.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun spends the week in jump in a very easy going state of mind. She is constantly active either training with Chandra or using the space of the cargo hold for physical training. However, as the week draws to a close she spends more time brooding over the countdown clock on the bridge and starts wearing her autosnub again.

Whilst in jump space she offers to help Edwardo recover data from the transponder. She contributes a working knowledge of how transponders can be tampered with or deactivated and a basic but by no means expert knowledge of the practicalities of doing so. (OOC: Streetwise 1, Electronics 0).

Whilst doing so she makes conversation by discussing trade in the Marches “I am no broker but if the politics of the Frontier and the DMZ beyond it create many opportunities for trade”. She grins wolfishly “These markets are most definitely “grey” but with a ship this size there is plenty of money to be made. Of course, you’d need a local guide”.
joertexas wrote: Zaki laughs brightly. "Sigrun, we need to sit and talk soon. You seem to have led an eventful life."
Sigrun returns a warm smile and allows “Maybe so” after a moment’s thought she smiles again and muses “I think perhaps it has led me”.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#284 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Keven wrote:Carlos steadies her. "Careful, dear, don't overstress that hip." He supports her all the way down for a kiss. "Try laying on me, it'll take some of the stress off. No hurry, dear, no hurry..."
Zaki doesn't hurry, and, sometime later, she lies down on Carlos' torso, her head on his chest. "I can hear your heartbeat," she says quietly, "and I want to stay right here for a while, if I'm not too heavy." She completely relaxes atop him, breathes "I love you", and drifts off to sleep.

For reference, Zaki's 5'5" and 95lbs.
Carlos rests easily under her, gently holding her in place, smiling, as he drifts off to sleep himself.
In The Marches:
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by joertexas »

Keven wrote:Carlos rests easily under her, gently holding her in place, smiling, as he drifts off to sleep himself.
During the week in jump, Zaki works on cleaning the crew cabins, and directing any repairs the crew is able to make, such as replacing the bars with regular doors. She keeps tabs on the occupied low berths, and checks the empty ones for readiness. Also, she inventories all of the medical supplies, and establishes a locker for medical supplies apart from the first aid lockers located throughout the ship.

Zaki spends much of her free time with Carlos, and she seems to favor her right hip more than usual for the first few mornings. It doesn't seem to affect the smile and glow she has when her cabin mate is around, though.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:
joertexas wrote: Zaki laughs brightly. "Sigrun, we need to sit and talk soon. You seem to have led an eventful life."
Sigrun returns a warm smile and allows “Maybe so” after a moment’s thought she smiles again and muses “I think perhaps it has led me”.
Three days into jump, Zaki gingerly sits down across from Sigrun in the crew lounge after lunch. "I need to take some stress off my hip," she explains with a rueful smile as she nurses a mug of coffee. "I'm hoping to make the crew quarters habitable, if we can take those stupid bars off and fabricate doors." She looks at Sigrun. "So, tell me more about your eventful life. I don't know anything about the Sword Worlds."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#287 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Keven wrote:Carlos rests easily under her, gently holding her in place, smiling, as he drifts off to sleep himself.
During the week in jump, Zaki works on cleaning the crew cabins, and directing any repairs the crew is able to make, such as replacing the bars with regular doors. She keeps tabs on the occupied low berths, and checks the empty ones for readiness. Also, she inventories all of the medical supplies, and establishes a locker for medical supplies apart from the first aid lockers located throughout the ship.

Zaki spends much of her free time with Carlos, and she seems to favor her right hip more than usual for the first few mornings. It doesn't seem to affect the smile and glow she has when her cabin mate is around, though.
Other than walking around with a goofy drakh-eating grin, Carlos spends the week keeping an occaisonal eye on the jump indicator, making sure the blue dot is centered. He also takes an inventory of tools in Engineering and of the ship's locker to see what all is still left in it.

Offwatch, he spends most of his time with Zaki.
In The Marches:

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Tiglath »

joertexas wrote:Three days into jump, Zaki gingerly sits down across from Sigrun in the crew lounge after lunch. "I need to take some stress off my hip," she explains with a rueful smile as she nurses a mug of coffee.
Sigrun laughs like a drain and thumps the table “Ha! Carlos has taken on a wild she wolf!” As she recovers and realises that her response was perhaps not was what Zaki was looking for she quickly offers “Perhaps it would be better for your hip if you turn the gravity down in your cabin – or make like a Belter girl" she winks "and turn it off!” Despite her rather robust approach Sigrun appears delighted that Zaki and Carlos are together. After a moment’s reflection she smiles and adds “I think I’m jealous!”

As to the cabins she answers “We could cut the bars off but cutting work will stress the life support – it sounds like a dockside job at Regina”.

joertexas wrote:She looks at Sigrun. "So, tell me more about your eventful life. I don't know anything about the Sword Worlds."
Sigrun’s eyes shine bright and she says "The Sword worlds are as a string of gems in space cut and preserved from Terra herself. The inhabitants are self confident and proud. We must live on our reputations and we can never steal valour. The Worlds are a place where a spirit can be free and actions truly define a person. To the Imperial eye there is an appearance of gender inequality but it is in reality ruthless pragmatism - because we will endure”. If Zaki was ever in any doubt as to which side Sigrun would take in a conflict the passion she displays confirms her as an unshakeable Sword World patriot.

(OOC: Sigrun's backstory to follow).

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun laughs like a drain and thumps the table “Ha! Carlos has taken on a wild she wolf!” As she recovers and realises that her response was perhaps not was what Zaki was looking for she quickly offers “Perhaps it would be better for your hip if you turn the gravity down in your cabin – or make like a Belter girl" she winks "and turn it off!” Despite her rather robust approach Sigrun appears delighted that Zaki and Carlos are together. After a moment’s reflection she smiles and adds “I think I’m jealous!”
Zaki blushes brightly, even through her dusky coloration. "I could ask him," she says with a giggle. "I thought you and John Lee were bunking together," she comments as she sips her coffee.
Tiglath wrote:As to the cabins she answers “We could cut the bars off but cutting work will stress the life support – it sounds like a dockside job at Regina”.
Zaki nods. "Okay, that will have to wait."
Tiglath wrote:Sigrun’s eyes shine bright and she says "The Sword worlds are as a string of gems in space cut and preserved from Terra herself. The inhabitants are self confident and proud. We must live on our reputations and we can never steal valour. The Worlds are a place where a spirit can be free and actions truly define a person. To the Imperial eye there is an appearance of gender inequality but it is in reality ruthless pragmatism - because we will endure”. If Zaki was ever in any doubt as to which side Sigrun would take in a conflict the passion she displays confirms her as an unshakeable Sword World patriot.
"And yet you've left," Zaki comments. "I know I can never go home, and Carlos wants to go back home, so I will go with him. How about you? Do you want to go back to the Sword Worlds?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun smiles resignedly “I do like Mr Petamore but I think perhaps he’s too polite or too careful to do anything about it while we’re on board. I’m not really helping either - I have some history”.

Sigrun gets a refill of coffee and begins with a sigh “My family were in vacuum mining in the DMZ. Living in the astrohabs I wasn’t a dutiful daughter. I learned that I was a warrior and fell in with a belter gang. I made the gang my own and called myself Hel – the Queen of the Underworld. I also got involved with an arrogantly handsome rogue”. She smiles fondly “Steinar and I complimented each other completely. We had one rule - we never harmed our own". Her smile fades "So, we hit the Imperium – every time. In retaliation the Imperial Navy destroyed the atstrohabs. Not just because they harboured a few pirates and smugglers. It was mostly about who we were”.

“The result was inevitable. We all volunteered for the newly raised Auxiliary Raiding Squadrons. We were equipped with reconditioned Navy ships and trained by advisors from our Out World allies. When we went operational our advisors picked the targets. Their Intel was good – every time".

"Everything then became a catalogue of rage and blood. Steinar and I were together but – not. I was now leading boarding actions and ground ops while he was orbital. My advisor gave me a limitless supply of combat drug – I became Ulfhednar. I put on Hel’s mask again but this time the mask was wearing me. While I lost track of my combat kills Steinar was now killing in cold blood. He had been changed – we both had”.

“On Silver my auto injector failed. By that stage I was taking combat drug to try to control my berserker nature - if that even makes sense. I knew I was straight because I could remember fighting a PDF trooper. He tried to bayonet me and I killed him with my axe”.

Then her voice becomes toneless and cold “My crew captured a field hospital on the base. The raid commander came over in person and he and I disagreed as to how we should prosecute that asset - so he knifed me in the back. He wanted to make the kill last and my vacc suit self sealed around his blade. I got a hand to my pistol and ended it. Steinar and the PDF trooper – some of the few people I can actually remember killing back then. I still don't really feel anything and that scares me”.

“I got out when I finally realised I was tired of being used”. She smiles cryptically “I do plan to go home and it is possible to be both an exile and a patriot but, for now, I’m a mercenary and there’s work enough in the Marches”.

(OOC: Apols for length - good job Zaki has coffee!)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:(OOC: Apols for length - good job Zaki has coffee!)
Fantastic write-up :D

When Sigrun finishes, Zaki sets her cup down, removes her holo display, and mops at her eyes with a napkin. "I was in the Imperial Army," she says as she sits back, "and my medical unit received wounded several times after mercenary actions. The soldiers would tell us of their experiences, and it always amazed me how people, who were all supposedly Imperials, could treat each other so badly."

Zaki picks up her cup and sits back in her chair. "Now that you can choose your own way, do you still want to be a mercenary?" She waves her hand. "Oh, I understand that your skills materially contributed to this mission's success, but there really is more to life than violence." Her face tightens for a moment, and then she relaxes slightly, her violet eyes searching Sigrun's eyes.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun swirls he coffee and replies casually “I’m happy to do anything that pays well enough. In my experience mercenaries are mostly quite professional. The job’s actually about earning money and not necessarily doing violence. It’s only when you are up against maniacs like the Luzon … ”.

She looks up and sees Zaki’s tears “Oh, Zaki! No, not for me … “

She reaches out to take Zaki’s hand but stops horrified as the light catches on an object falling like a star to the tabletop. Stunned, Sigrun wipes the track of the tear from her aquiline features. As another starts from her other eye she grabs for Zaki’s hand and manages “I loved him …” before she is overcome by an unstoppable tide of emotion. It takes all of her considerable willpower to make no sound as she silently weeps for the lost.

[quote="joertexas"]Fantastic write-up :D

(OOC: You are very kind - I was rather worried Zaki might be clawing for the air lock half way through! :) )

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun swirls he coffee and replies casually “I’m happy to do anything that pays well enough. In my experience mercenaries are mostly quite professional. The job’s actually about earning money and not necessarily doing violence. It’s only when you are up against maniacs like the Luzon … ”.

She looks up and sees Zaki’s tears “Oh, Zaki! No, not for me … “

She reaches out to take Zaki’s hand but stops horrified as the light catches on an object falling like a star to the tabletop. Stunned, Sigrun wipes the track of the tear from her aquiline features. As another starts from her other eye she grabs for Zaki’s hand and manages “I loved him …” before she is overcome by an unstoppable tide of emotion. It takes all of her considerable willpower to make no sound as she silently weeps for the lost.

(OOC: You are very kind - I was rather worried Zaki might be clawing for the air lock half way through! :) )
It's rather interesting that she took it so calmly...

Zaki sets her cup down and moves to gently hug Sigrun. "It's all right to cry," she says quietly. "It's all right."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun desperately holds on to Zaki until the torrent of her emotions subsides. When she finally trusts herself to speak she gasps “That doesn’t happen to me! I’ve not cried for … " her tear streaked face registers sudden surprise " ... a long time”. Still apparently bewildered by the betrayal of her own emotions she murmurs “Thank you. It feels better to have let it go but I think now that I still carry wounds from Silver”.

(OOC: Cue "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" by Blue Oyster Cult. When you have friends like the Zhodani ... ;) )

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun desperately holds on to Zaki until the torrent of her emotions subsides. When she finally trusts herself to speak she gasps “That doesn’t happen to me! I’ve not cried for … " her tear streaked face registers sudden surprise " ... a long time”. Still apparently bewildered by the betrayal of her own emotions she murmurs “Thank you. It feels better to have let it go but I think now that I still carry wounds from Silver”.
Zaki releases Sigrun and sits down in her chair. "You are as human as anyone else, Sigrun. Things affect us, and sometimes it's good to cry." She stands and refills both of their coffee cups. "I'm not qualified as a therapist, but I'm willing to listen whenever you want to talk." She smiles crookedly. "You may also consider not using those combat drugs of yours unless it's an emergency."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun smiles back, and then replies softly “Though I may be human I am also a Sword Worlder. I’m grateful for your offer and I’ll think about the drugs. I won’t use them lightly – I’m far too aware of what they do”.

(OOC: 1. It is noticeable that Sigrun has progressively relaxed throughout the progress of the jump. It seems Zaki timed her approach really well.
2. I'm happy to fall out of jump at the GM's convenience! Don't want to hold events or other folks up while Sigrun and Zaki interact :) ).

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun smiles back, and then replies softly “Though I may be human I am also a Sword Worlder. I’m grateful for your offer and I’ll think about the drugs. I won’t use them lightly – I’m far too aware of what they do”.(OOC: 1. It is noticeable that Sigrun has progressively relaxed throughout the progress of the jump. It seems Zaki timed her approach really well.
Zaki changes the subject to their recently acquired ship, gently steering them both into less stressful subjects of conversation.
Tiglath wrote:2. I'm happy to fall out of jump at the GM's convenience! Don't want to hold events or other folks up while Sigrun and Zaki interact :) ).
We can always regale everyone with more of Carlos and Zaki's romantic interludes...
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun will pragmatically point out that a return trip to Daibei is way beyond the capacity of the “new” trader. (It is in fact beyond the majority of vessels in the Marches requiring a J5 vessel to cross the Great Rift).

She comments “The trader’s ideal for making money locally but she’ll need an overhaul, maybe a weapons upgrade and an entire Ship’s Locker”.

Zaki will note that Sigrun clearly enjoys her company and, in the security of deep space, seems able to relax enough to let her “warrior persona” slip and embrace her “feminine side”. While not therapy per se it seems to be good for her to unwind.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun will pragmatically point out that a return trip to Daibei is way beyond the capacity of the “new” trader. (It is in fact beyond the majority of vessels in the Marches requiring a J5 vessel to cross the Great Rift).

She comments “The trader’s ideal for making money locally but she’ll need an overhaul, maybe a weapons upgrade and an entire Ship’s Locker”.

Zaki will note that Sigrun clearly enjoys her company and, in the security of deep space, seems able to relax enough to let her “warrior persona” slip and embrace her “feminine side”. While not therapy per se it seems to be good for her to unwind.
Zaki sits down and consults her holodisplay, sorting through the Imperial maps in the ship's database. She determines that there is a J4 route across the Rift, which would mean the trip to the center of Daibei Sector would take about 50 jumps, or about a year, to complete. Anything slower would take two to three years to fly that far.

"For Carlos and I, at least, we will need something quite a bit faster to get home in a reasonable time."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#300 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Tiglath wrote:Sigrun will pragmatically point out that a return trip to Daibei is way beyond the capacity of the “new” trader. (It is in fact beyond the majority of vessels in the Marches requiring a J5 vessel to cross the Great Rift).

Zaki sits down and consults her holodisplay, sorting through the Imperial maps in the ship's database. She determines that there is a J4 route across the Rift, which would mean the trip to the center of Daibei Sector would take about 50 jumps, or about a year, to complete. Anything slower would take two to three years to fly that far.

"For Carlos and I, at least, we will need something quite a bit faster to get home in a reasonable time."
Carlos wanders through after checking the progress of the jump on the bridge. He pulls a cup of kaff from the samovar, sips it and makes a face. "Remind me to stock up on zapana when we hit port, hon. THIS stuff is too much like Navy kaff for my liking."
In The Marches:

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”