(005) Ready for Ruie!

Eris
Keven
Ranger
Ranger

Re: (005) Ready for Ruie!

#181 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Keven wrote:Carlos sighs. "Tiglath, the locals do NOT like Imperials around here and the Luzons ARE CONNECTED. The governments let them do what they want though some of the locals don't like Luzon either. We'd do well to not maxx off the locals. They'll understand us getting ours back. But they won't look the other way if we coff the bad guys. We might skate if we just knock them out and take back our own. Remember, we might be coming back here someday, and I really don't want warrants hanging over me if we do." He looks her directly in the eye. "And we get every POW out. Nobody left behind."
Zaki nods. "I'm with the 'run in and stomp on them' camp, but I see the wisdom in your approach."
Carlos says, "We may want to take one or more of the cholos back with us, depending on transpo. Imperial Intelligence might want a few words with them." He grins evilly.
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Tiglath »

Keven wrote:Carlos sighs. "Tiglath, the locals do NOT like Imperials around here and the Luzons ARE CONNECTED. The governments let them do what they want though some of the locals don't like Luzon either. We'd do well to not maxx off the locals. They'll understand us getting ours back. But they won't look the other way if we coff the bad guys. We might skate if we just knock them out and take back our own. Remember, we might be coming back here someday, and I really don't want warrants hanging over me if we do." He looks her directly in the eye. "And we get every POW out. Nobody left behind."
Sigrun (not Tiglath! ;) ) replies "Imperial propaganda tells us the locals are hostile and, as a Sword Worlder I can relate to that! However, the locals John Lee and I spoke to were friendly enough to all. The folk they really don't like are the Luzon terrorists. To us it seemed they would be rid of them if they could and grateful to any who did the job for them. You are right to refer to the Luzon as connected. I am sure if you look hard enough you would find a connection to the Ine Givar - with whom I have my own argument".

She goes on "Just to be clear we are planning what would be described as an act of piracy. The penalty is death throughout known space. If this goes wrong there will be no mention of POWs and very likely no trial. The terrorists we will be fighting will not pull any punches and neither will I".

Sigrun returns Carlos's gaze "During the last war many accusations were levelled against my unit but the truth is I am not one to leave people in the hands of these animals if it is possible to get them out. If we capture any terrorists you can give them over to whichever torturers you like but if you don't mind I will avoid Imperial intelligence! Let's fight hard and everyone goes home".
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun returns Carlos's gaze "During the last war many accusations were levelled against my unit but the truth is I am not one to leave people in the hands of these animals if it is possible to get them out. If we capture any terrorists you can give them over to whichever torturers you like but if you don't mind I will avoid Imperial intelligence! Let's fight hard and everyone goes home".
"I can contact Imperial Intelligence on my own, if needs be," Zaki says. "The question at hand is, do we try to take a non-lethal approach, assuming we even have the supplies to do that, or do we just go in and take them out?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun replies "Sourcing enough human compatible animal tranquiliser here on this high law backwater will be a challenge if we can't buy tranquiliser rounds direct and both routes draw more attention than we need. I for one am not willing to give up my Gauss rifle to assault somewhere with a bolt action rifle. Let's stick with what we know and do well. If we hit them hard enough initially then the rest will have the chance to take a non lethal option by surrendering. Doing it the other way just endangers us and our mission".

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun replies "Sourcing enough human compatible animal tranquiliser here on this high law backwater will be a challenge if we can't buy tranquiliser rounds direct and both routes draw more attention than we need. I for one am not willing to give up my Gauss rifle to assault somewhere with a bolt action rifle. Let's stick with what we know and do well. If we hit them hard enough initially then the rest will have the chance to take a non lethal option by surrendering. Doing it the other way just endangers us and our mission".
Zaki thinks for a moment, and then nods in agreement. "As much as I'd like to not hurt anyone," she lays her hand on Carlos' arm, "having one of us hurt isn't worth the risk. We also have the Imperial personnel to think of, and a tranq round isn't always immediately incapacitating."

She looks back at Sigrun. "Will we be able to bring our weapons and equipment through their customs checkpoints?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#186 Post by Keven »

Tiglath wrote:
Sigrun (not Tiglath! ;) ) replies "Imperial propaganda tells us the locals are hostile and, as a Sword Worlder I can relate to that! However, the locals John Lee and I spoke to were friendly enough to all. The folk they really don't like are the Luzon terrorists. To us it seemed they would be rid of them if they could and grateful to any who did the job for them. You are right to refer to the Luzon as connected. I am sure if you look hard enough you would find a connection to the Ine Givar - with whom I have my own argument".

She goes on "Just to be clear we are planning what would be described as an act of piracy. The penalty is death throughout known space. If this goes wrong there will be no mention of POWs and very likely no trial. The terrorists we will be fighting will not pull any punches and neither will I".
Carlos raises an eyebrow. "Depends on the circumstances. If we 'jack the ship on the ground for our extract and turn it over to the Imperials along with a handy cholo or two, we're recovering it for return to its rightful owners. The Imperials won't care that we jacked it, we're doing somebody somewhere a favor and returning their property. Imperials are kinda funny about property rights."
Tiglath wrote:Sigrun returns Carlos's gaze "During the last war many accusations were levelled against my unit but the truth is I am not one to leave people in the hands of these animals if it is possible to get them out. If we capture any terrorists you can give them over to whichever torturers you like but if you don't mind I will avoid Imperial intelligence! Let's fight hard and everyone goes home".
Carlos chuckles. "I'm not saying don't coff the cholos, just try not to. If we have to, we have to, and I won't lose a moment's sleep, especially if it means the difference between finishing the mission or washing out. We're going to be paraded in front of Imperial newsies as 'big damned heroes' if we pull this off, considering our objective's standing in the peerage. We're going to get painted with this no matter what happens. And if we khest it, we'll be the biggest khest-ups in history."
In The Marches:
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#187 Post by Eris »

Whistler taps the table top with his fingers to draw attention, "I'm for going in hot and heavy. If they surrender or run, okay, but until they do one or the other I say we put them down."

"Thing is, though, we don't have enough intel to do this yet."
he adds, "Like how many hostiles are we facing and how are they armed? Where are they bivouacked? How many can we expect to be active at any one time and where will they be? Where are the POW's being kept?"

Captain Smith walks in followed by Charlie with McDonald behind him. Charlie slumps into a chair at the table. He looks pretty badly hung over.

"You think you've found Lord William?"asks Captain Smith with a hopeful note to his voice, "I really thought this was a fool's errand and his Lordship was long dead."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Tiglath »

joertexas wrote: She looks back at Sigrun. "Will we be able to bring our weapons and equipment through their customs checkpoints?"
Sigrun smiles "Well, John Lee is our import/export consultant but Ruian Customs seem focussed on their weapons checks but not in actively searching vehicles. The Rangers at the game preserves even less so. We have established a cover story with the officials and discovered that the G Carrier has the capacity for a significant amount of concealed stowage. We believe we can get our assault gear through with little chance of detection".

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#189 Post by Eris »

Chandra has the photos. He can identify both ship types and can tell a little bit about them from the photos.

The smaller is a 200 dton far trader of the Empress Marava class, a J2 ship with 2 hardpoints. The hardpoint he can see is ripped open and there is a disassembled pulse laser on the tarmac next to it. He thinks he sees a hole in the hull forward where work on the lifesupport system would be taking place. This ship is facing the camera at an angle to the left. It looks like one of the Plexiglas windows where the bridge would be located is missing.

The larger ship is to the left of the other in the photo. It is clearly a Type R Subsidized Merchant of some kind. He can't tell exactly which of the variants it might be as he's only got a tail view with a large tank truck blocking part of his view. What he can tell is that the external features of the Maneuver Drive and Jump Drive at the tail of the ship look to be complete and show signs of recent work...clean and bright finish. The tanker truck is loading fuel into the Type R's tanks and there would be no reason to do that if the ship's power plant wasn't working...and yes, there are cables coming out of the ship leading to a big quonset hut behind the ships. He can't see the hut well, but he can see a jeep parked next to it.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#190 Post by Keven »

Eris wrote:Chandra has the photos. He can identify both ship types and can tell a little bit about them from the photos.

The smaller is a 200 dton far trader of the Empress Marava class, a J2 ship with 2 hardpoints. The hardpoint he can see is ripped open and there is a disassembled pulse laser on the tarmac next to it. He thinks he sees a hole in the hull forward where work on the lifesupport system would be taking place. This ship is facing the camera at an angle to the left. It looks like one of the Plexiglas windows where the bridge would be located is missing.

The larger ship is to the left of the other in the photo. It is clearly a Type R Subsidized Merchant of some kind. He can't tell exactly which of the variants it might be as he's only got a tail view with a large tank truck blocking part of his view. What he can tell is that the external features of the Maneuver Drive and Jump Drive at the tail of the ship look to be complete and show signs of recent work...clean and bright finish. The tanker truck is loading fuel into the Type R's tanks and there would be no reason to do that if the ship's power plant wasn't working...and yes, there are cables coming out of the ship leading to a big quonset hut behind the ships. He can't see the hut well, but he can see a jeep parked next to it.
Carlos looks over the ship photos. "The little one looks still to be in pieces. Blow it in place to keep the cholos off it, maybe. The fat trader would be the one to grab. Doubt it has the 'legs' we'd want, but it should get us back to Regina no prob. Assuming it has a stocked life support system, that is. It should have a couple freezers on it, so if we do happen to catch rather than coff a couple cholos..." He grins evilly. "There'd be no reason to guard 'em when they're popsicles. Wouldn't have to feed 'em, either." He glances at Charlie when he comes in, flicks to the picture of the two POWs. "Charlie, is this Lord William?"
In The Marches:

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#191 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote: Carlos looks over the ship photos. "The little one looks still to be in pieces. Blow it in place to keep the cholos off it, maybe. The fat trader would be the one to grab. Doubt it has the 'legs' we'd want, but it should get us back to Regina no prob. Assuming it has a stocked life support system, that is. It should have a couple freezers on it, so if we do happen to catch rather than coff a couple cholos..." He grins evilly. "There'd be no reason to guard 'em when they're popsicles. Wouldn't have to feed 'em, either." He glances at Charlie when he comes in, flicks to the picture of the two POWs. "Charlie, is this Lord William?"
Charlie squints at the picture, "Nah! Windy is as blonde as she is." he points to Sigrun.

Charlie looks closer, "Um, that's Cloris something or other, though. He was at the camp with Windy and me. The other one was too, but I don't remember her name. Her nickname was Spitfire, cause she was, ur, a spit fire...always fighting with the guards, you know what I mean."

"I remember it took three guards to throw Spitfire onto the truck. I snuck on while they's doing that, they threw me back off, though." he looks up, "Yeah, they were on the truck with Windy when he was taken away. You think Windy is there, too?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Tiglath »

Keven wrote:Carlos raises an eyebrow. "Depends on the circumstances. If we 'jack the ship on the ground for our extract and turn it over to the Imperials along with a handy cholo or two, we're recovering it for return to its rightful owners. The Imperials won't care that we jacked it, we're doing somebody somewhere a favor and returning their property. Imperials are kinda funny about property rights."
Sigrun replies with a smile "You are right but I have found the interpretation of naval law to be very much in the eye of the beholder. Whilst the Luzon would execute us for piracy if we fail, the Imperium would recognise our claim on the successfully liberated hulls as legitimate". She smiles wider as she tries a new word with her Norse accent "We just don't need to "khest?" the repo job!"

She adds "I can also live with trying not to kill the Luzon if they play nicely".

Then continues "Whistler's right our Intel on their troop strength and dispositions is weak. I was hoping to bring back more but decided not to push our luck".

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Then continues "Whistler's right our Intel on their troop strength and dispositions is weak. I was hoping to bring back more but decided not to push our luck".
"We should observe them more, I agree," Zaki says. "We shouldn't stay here too long, because our movements are surely being noticed by someone. If we start flying out and back every day, we risk spooking them. Also, it looks like they might be ready to fly out. The longer we wait, the higher the risk."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#194 Post by Keven »

Tiglath wrote:
Keven wrote:Carlos raises an eyebrow. "Depends on the circumstances. If we 'jack the ship on the ground for our extract and turn it over to the Imperials along with a handy cholo or two, we're recovering it for return to its rightful owners. The Imperials won't care that we jacked it, we're doing somebody somewhere a favor and returning their property. Imperials are kinda funny about property rights."
Sigrun replies with a smile "You are right but I have found the interpretation of naval law to be very much in the eye of the beholder. Whilst the Luzon would execute us for piracy if we fail, the Imperium would recognise our claim on the successfully liberated hulls as legitimate". She smiles wider as she tries a new word with her Norse accent "We just don't need to "khest?" the repo job!"

She adds "I can also live with trying not to kill the Luzon if they play nicely".

Then continues "Whistler's right our Intel on their troop strength and dispositions is weak. I was hoping to bring back more but decided not to push our luck".
Carlos rubs his nose. "I'd feel better with a couple more guns in play." He glances at Charlie. "Charlie, you were a gropo. And William was your friend, and these other two were comrades. Can you straighten up and help us get them home?"
In The Marches:

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun listens to the flow of conversation and comments "Our cover story given to the Customs officers is that we are staff and security setting up a hunting camp for our employer. Further close recon of the pirate's base will pay off but as they are prepping the big trader for flight we may well be against the clock. Their reliance on off worlders to repair their tech reveals the Luzon's vulnerability. I'd say one grenade on the flight deck of that smaller trader would ground it successfully - either that or we deal with the crew. That Quonset hut linked to the ship has to feature in our assault plan".

She thinks aloud "Some Merc guns would be useful but since the Luzon seem to operate most of the organised crime here we risk attempting to recruit from our opposition. There's also the alleged antipathy to Imperials to account for. I'm willing to hit the bars in Startown and try to pick up some "Outworld Coalition" help". She grins again "You've survived a "Swordy" - anyone fussy about Vargr?"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:She thinks aloud "Some Merc guns would be useful but since the Luzon seem to operate most of the organised crime here we risk attempting to recruit from our opposition. There's also the alleged antipathy to Imperials to account for. I'm willing to hit the bars in Startown and try to pick up some "Outworld Coalition" help". She grins again "You've survived a "Swordy" - anyone fussy about Vargr?"
Zaki ponders for a moment. "So, we risk going out and picking up people we don't know to fight for us. We are planning to beat feet on one of their ships, and hopefully disable the other one. How are the mercs we hire going to disengage? They can't just stop and go home, and we can't stop anywhere in system to drop them off after the fight."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun replies "Long odds on me running into any Out Worlders and longer odds still they are willing to sign on. Ruie is hardly a cosmopolitan hub and given the situation here even attempting recruitment risks compromise. If I'm lucky enough to find anyone I'd include return passage in their contract - that's not so unusual. If we are going to begin recon on the pirate base tomorrow I'm willing to give it a try tonight. It will become obvious fairly quickly if there's anyone we can likely recruit - if they seem at all shady I'll back off".

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun replies "Long odds on me running into any Out Worlders and longer odds still they are willing to sign on. Ruie is hardly a cosmopolitan hub and given the situation here even attempting recruitment risks compromise. If I'm lucky enough to find anyone I'd include return passage in their contract - that's not so unusual. If we are going to begin recon on the pirate base tomorrow I'm willing to give it a try tonight. It will become obvious fairly quickly if there's anyone we can likely recruit - if they seem at all shady I'll back off".
Zaki nods. "That's fine with me. What weapons and equipment do we have available?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#200 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun listens to the flow of conversation and comments "Our cover story given to the Customs officers is that we are staff and security setting up a hunting camp for our employer. Further close recon of the pirate's base will pay off but as they are prepping the big trader for flight we may well be against the clock. Their reliance on off worlders to repair their tech reveals the Luzon's vulnerability. I'd say one grenade on the flight deck of that smaller trader would ground it successfully - either that or we deal with the crew. That Quonset hut linked to the ship has to feature in our assault plan".

She thinks aloud "Some Merc guns would be useful but since the Luzon seem to operate most of the organised crime here we risk attempting to recruit from our opposition. There's also the alleged antipathy to Imperials to account for. I'm willing to hit the bars in Startown and try to pick up some "Outworld Coalition" help". She grins again "You've survived a "Swordy" - anyone fussy about Vargr?"
"You ever seen what a Sandcaster will do to a soft target fired at close range?" asks Captain Smith, "We might not have weapons that can hurt a starship's armor, or take out modern tanks, but let me loose one from 500 meters on a thin metal hut, or any sort of lightly armored vehicle for that matter and, well it won't be there when the dust clears."

Whistler adds,"I don't think we should trust any locals. We don't know the sides well enough to say anyone we recruit won't double cross us first chance they get. Non-locals, though...they'd still have to be vetted pretty closely.

One thing we can't do is let them get those ships in the air. It'll be next to impossible to spring the POW's then, even assuming they keep them all alive once they've finished the repairs."

Charlie says,"I'm in if you're going to spring Windy. I'll even give up booze for the duration. I did it before I can do it again. Anybody got a spare ACR?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”