Eris
Eclipse
Strider
Strider

Re: (005) Ready for Ruie!

#81 Post by Eclipse »

Eris wrote:Present: Sigrun, John Lee
Tiglath wrote:
Eris wrote:The Officer laughs, "I know we have the reputation for not liking the Impies at all, but it's really just the government we don't like. Most of us haven't anything against the people themselves."
Sigrun replies “Ja, I agree with that. But you said “most of us”? Are there any folk we should steer our Imperial clients away from in Tabor City or the wilderness?”
"Like anywhere, I suppose." he replies, "Stay out of the low town, for sure! None of us would go in there without an armored car and a squad of Rangers. Then there's Luzon, of course. Not much trouble from them in the upper city, or other civilized places, but there's been some trouble from them raiding outlying communities south of Breven."

"There's a big hunting area just east of Breven, you might want to stay away from that one on this trip. I'm sure the government will eventually clean that area out, but right now..."
he shakes his head.

There are four hunting perserves around Tabor City. One is east of a small town called Breven about 80 km south of Tabor City, it consists of rain forest and mangrove swamps along a large bay. Two is about 40 km due west of Tabor City and most favored by casual hunters, it is a hilly area with rain forest there in the valleys and more temperate forests up the sides of the hills. Third is just north of the second area and has even more hills and two active volcanoes. Four is 150 km north of Tabor City up on a plateau, it is more open with a mixture of trees and meadows and is more sub-tropical while the others are more tropical.

Which one are you checking out?

Tiglath wrote:On the flight to the Rangers’ station Sigrun monitors the passive sensor array for any radar/ladar painting the G carrier from the ground (or orbit). If any is detected she asks John Lee to occasionally dip through the tree canopy or follow a waterway to attempt to temporarily break radar contact. She will also record the data to map any areas where there is no coverage.

On arrival at the Rangers’ station she will look for any bays obviously marked for arriving air vehicles and suggest John Lee sets down in one planning to fully cooperate with the Rangers' procedures.
I'll need to know which way your going to answer the above.
John Lee suggests number 2. "It's close and low key. We can raise the bar the next time out."
"If this goes smoothly, we can shoot up to site 3 before we come back."

He grins at his partner, "Rock, paper, scissors to choose?"

John Lee's back pack has his combination mask, a compass, googles, binoculars, some poggie bait, and water. (Poggie Bait: Non issue rations)
Into the Marches
John Lee Petamore, IISS 3 terms
7A7865
Mechanical - 1, Electronics - 1, Streetwise - 1, SMG - 1, Revolver - 2, Air/Raft - 3

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:
Eris wrote:"For a trip to the library for all five a you, that'a be 250 topas, that 25 impie credits to you.
Hire me cab for the day for 900 topas and I drive you anywhere you want to go all time. What you say, Lady?"
he says with a grin.
Carlos pulls out a 100Cr note. "Works for me. Keep the change."
"Whoa, boy!" the cabbie grins and makes the 100 cr note disappear, "You my buddy! So, off we go!

The van pulls out into the lane leading away from the terminal. The access road winds past parking lots and several turn offs to various buildings and then out into a light commercial area.

As he drives the cabbie calls back to from the front seat, "My name is Davey and I'll be you driver for the whole day. I am taking you to the library now. And just so you know. Ya' don't give the loot to the driver until the day is done, otherwise they might skip away from you at you first stop. Davey won't do 'dat, but some bloke d. Ya know?"

"So, why you wanna go library?" Davey asks, "Never had nobody wanna go library, before?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun will thank the Customs Officer and, with his permission, clear customs. She will then place a call to the Tabor City team and relay all of the new “public domain” information on Luzon and the hunting preserves that she has discovered from the Customs Officer.

She cryptically concludes her report with “Well, it appears the information from the brochure for this trip was incomplete. I now believe the species we are after must be in the Breven preserve. John Lee and I are going to fly down there and update our knowledge of the local hunting conditions. We will maintain contact with the yacht every few hours and should be back tonight”.

Provided John Lee is game she will suggest visiting the Ranger station outside the Breven hunting preserve to gather more local intelligence on Luzon and the conditions thereabouts (as well as ELINT as stated earlier). She leaves the flight path and approach entirely in the capable hands of her partner but makes sure she can access a rifle in flight if necessary and tightens her safety harness.

(OOC: From the information we have it appears Luzon have raided to the South of Breven. Although they may be active throughout the whole area my understanding is that the place is not (yet?) an active warzone).
Your understanding is correct, as far as your source knows.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by Eris »

Present: Sigrun, John Lee
Tiglath wrote:
Eris wrote:The Officer laughs, "I know we have the reputation for not liking the Impies at all, but it's really just the government we don't like. Most of us haven't anything against the people themselves."
Sigrun replies “Ja, I agree with that. But you said “most of us”? Are there any folk we should steer our Imperial clients away from in Tabor City or the wilderness?”
Eris wrote:"Like anywhere, I suppose." he replies, "Stay out of the low town, for sure! None of us would go in there without an armored car and a squad of Rangers. Then there's Luzon, of course. Not much trouble from them in the upper city, or other civilized places, but there's been some trouble from them raiding outlying communities south of Breven."

"There's a big hunting area just east of Breven, you might want to stay away from that one on this trip. I'm sure the government will eventually clean that area out, but right now..."
he shakes his head.

There are four hunting preserves around Tabor City. One is east of a small town called Breven about 80 km south of Tabor City, it consists of rain forest and mangrove swamps along a large bay. Two is about 40 km due west of Tabor City and most favored by casual hunters, it is a hilly area with rain forest there in the valleys and more temperate forests up the sides of the hills. Third is just north of the second area and has even more hills and two active volcanoes. Four is 150 km north of Tabor City up on a plateau, it is more open with a mixture of trees and meadows and is more sub-tropical while the others are more tropical.

Which one are you checking out?
Tiglath wrote:On the flight to the Rangers’ station Sigrun monitors the passive sensor array for any radar/ladar painting the G carrier from the ground (or orbit). If any is detected she asks John Lee to occasionally dip through the tree canopy or follow a waterway to attempt to temporarily break radar contact. She will also record the data to map any areas where there is no coverage.

On arrival at the Rangers’ station she will look for any bays obviously marked for arriving air vehicles and suggest John Lee sets down in one planning to fully cooperate with the Rangers' procedures.
Eris wrote: I'll need to know which way your going to answer the above.
Eclipse wrote:John Lee suggests number 2. "It's close and low key. We can raise the bar the next time out."

John Lee's back pack has his combination mask, a compass, googles, binoculars, some poggie bait, and water. (Poggie Bait: Non issue rations)
John Lee and Sigrun are going to have to discuss the destination. John Lee is proposing area 2,
40 km west of Tabor City, Sigrun is proposing area 1, 80 km south, just east of Breven. Concerning the mission, Area 2 is probably more safe but less interesting, Area 1 is probably less safe but more interesting.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Tiglath »

Eclipse wrote:John Lee suggests number 2. "It's close and low key. We can raise the bar the next time out."

Sigrun replies “Mr Petamore, professionals take the advice of experts. You are the pilot - so we will go to Zone 2 ..." then she grins back and adds "... first".

(OOC: Sigrun has her hard helmet and it's attached vision aids and comms with her vacc suit. She has a "bail out bag" of 4 litres of water, survival rations and a roll of gaffer tape. I'm also assuming that the G carrier in the hands of John Lee covers journeys of tens of km in a very short amount of time).
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:"So, why you wanna go library?" Davey asks, "Never had nobody wanna go library, before?"
"I've found that it's a great way to find out what's going on around a city," Zaki replies.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eclipse
Strider
Strider

#87 Post by Eclipse »

Tiglath wrote:

Sigrun replies “Mr Petamore, professionals take the advice of experts. You are the pilot - so we will go to Zone 2 ..." then she grins back and adds "... first".

(OOC: Sigrun has her hard helmet and it's attached vision aids and comms with her vacc suit. She has a "bail out bag" of 4 litres of water, survival rations and a roll of gaffer tape. I'm also assuming that the G carrier in the hands of John Lee covers journeys of tens of km in a very short amount of time).
"OK. 2 First."
Into the Marches
7A7865
Mechanical - 1, Electronics - 1, Streetwise - 1, SMG - 1, Revolver - 2, Air/Raft - 3

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote:
Eris wrote:"So, why you wanna go library?" Davey asks, "Never had nobody wanna go library, before?"
"I've found that it's a great way to find out what's going on around a city," Zaki replies.
Davey laughs, "If you say so. Me, I get me news from the TV and the rest from the barrio."

The van wheels through the streets, past a neighborhood of homes each surrounded by 2 meter high walls, through a commercial district with teeming crowds, then up a hill before turning the left. On the right at the bottom of the hill you can see a tall chain linked fence topped with barbed wire separating the city in half. On the right side you can look down on a shanty town of hovels and narrow streets with dirt streets and crowds of people out in the streets. As you turn left you enter a modern looking city with tall skyscrapers and wide clean paved avenues. On this side the people are well dressed and the ground traffic is mostly shiny automobiles.

"Here you go!" says Davey as he pulls up outside a large building with a series of tall stone columns rising up across the front. Large doors under the portico are a good 20 steps up a stone stair that stretches across the entire front of the building.

"Big library! I'll park over there." he points at a parking lot across the street and hands Zaki a palm sized electronic device, "When you ready to go, push this button and I'll come, okay?"

As you walk up the steps you note that the day is a hot one and very humid. Stepping through the large double doors you enter a quiet, cool, anti-chamber with a long checkout bar with several librarians behind it checking books in and out. All of you are much more familiar with computerized and automated systems, so seeing real live people doing this is a bit of a shock.

There are three doors leading out of the anti-chamber. To the left the door leads into "The Reference Library" area. The door to the right leads into the "Computer and Datanet" area. The door straight ahead leads to the "Main Reading Room, Card Catalog and Stacks."

A sign above the check out bar far down near the entrance to the Main Reading Room has the words "Ask a Librarian" on it. There is an older man seated there tapping away on a computer terminal.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by Eris »

Eclipse wrote: "OK. 2 First."
John Lee turns the big grav vehicle toward the west and flies over a warehouse and light industrial area, then over a commercial district, what looks like a large school campus, then over a mix of apartments and single family homes, and finally out into more open country. There are very few craft in the air, almost all traffic appears to be ground vehicles following roads.

The open country quickly turns into forest with only occasional villages providing openings in the cover. The villages area connected to the city by a network of paved roads.

Forty kilometers doesn't take long to fly and you are soon at a collection of buildings identified as Bazor Hunting Preserve - Ranger Station.

At no point along the flight was there any evidence of active sensors (radar, ladar) tracking your craft.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:
joertexas wrote:
Eris wrote:A sign above the check out bar far down near the entrance to the Main Reading Room has the words "Ask a Librarian" on it. There is an older man seated there tapping away on a computer terminal.
During the van ride, Zaki tries to access the datanet with Carlos' help. When they arrive, she walks to the help desk and approaches the man on duty. "Hello, I'd like to use the main reading room."

JR
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Tiglath »

During the short flight Sigrun admires John Lee’s ability as a pilot and seems to take pleasure from watching someone perform a task with an expert level of skill. She comments “Well, we have baseline sensor activity of zero so far. Shall we check through and advise them we are doing a recon overflight for future hunting trips? That will get us a feel for their level of scrutiny too”.

Whilst maintaining an entirely professional composure the act of reining in her genetic instinct to race to the Breven site makes her seem a little distracted.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote:During the van ride, Zaki tries to access the datanet with Carlos' help. When they arrive, she walks to the help desk and approaches the man on duty. "Hello, I'd like to use the main reading room."
"Why certainly, young lady." says the librarian, "Do you need help finding something in particular?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:During the short flight Sigrun admires John Lee’s ability as a pilot and seems to take pleasure from watching someone perform a task with an expert level of skill. She comments “Well, we have baseline sensor activity of zero so far. Shall we check through and advise them we are doing a recon overflight for future hunting trips? That will get us a feel for their level of scrutiny too”.

Whilst maintaining an entirely professional composure the act of reining in her genetic instinct to race to the Breven site makes her seem a little distracted.
The grav vehicles' comm buzzes. The Ranger Station is ordering you to land for inspection.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:
joertexas wrote:During the van ride, Zaki tries to access the datanet with Carlos' help. When they arrive, she walks to the help desk and approaches the man on duty. "Hello, I'd like to use the main reading room."
"Why certainly, young lady." says the librarian, "Do you need help finding something in particular?"
Zaki shakes her head. "Nothing specific, just current events. I like to know what is happening in cities I visit."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Tiglath »

Eris wrote:The grav vehicles' comm buzzes. The Ranger Station is ordering you to land for inspection.
In accordance with the plan the g carrier will land as directed and Sigrun will comply with the requirements of the Rangers. She states that her business is recon overflights for future hunting trips by her employer.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by Nuke66 »

Edwardo approaches the desk and lays both elbows on the surface. He carefully folds his hands before talking quietly before asking. "Let's just say, hypothetically, that I was trying to skip-trace an individual, what resources might you direct me to?"

Eclipse
Strider
Strider

#97 Post by Eclipse »

Eris wrote:
Tiglath wrote:Sigrun will thank the Customs Officer and, with his permission, clear customs. She will then place a call to the Tabor City team and relay all of the new “public domain” information on Luzon and the hunting preserves that she has discovered from the Customs Officer.

She cryptically concludes her report with “Well, it appears the information from the brochure for this trip was incomplete. I now believe the species we are after must be in the Breven preserve. John Lee and I are going to fly down there and update our knowledge of the local hunting conditions. We will maintain contact with the yacht every few hours and should be back tonight”.

Provided John Lee is game she will suggest visiting the Ranger station outside the Breven hunting preserve to gather more local intelligence on Luzon and the conditions thereabouts (as well as ELINT as stated earlier). She leaves the flight path and approach entirely in the capable hands of her partner but makes sure she can access a rifle in flight if necessary and tightens her safety harness.

(OOC: From the information we have it appears Luzon have raided to the South of Breven. Although they may be active throughout the whole area my understanding is that the place is not (yet?) an active warzone).
Your understanding is correct, as far as your source knows.
John Lee grins and affirms that he is "game."
Into the Marches
7A7865

Eclipse
Strider
Strider

#98 Post by Eclipse »

Tiglath wrote:
Eris wrote:The grav vehicles' comm buzzes. The Ranger Station is ordering you to land for inspection.
In accordance with the plan the g carrier will land as directed and Sigrun will comply with the requirements of the Rangers. She states that her business is recon overflights for future hunting trips by her employer.
John Lee will let his partner do all the talking. She is much prettier than he is. :-)
He will answer any questions directed at him politely.
Into the Marches
7A7865

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Tiglath »

Eclipse wrote:John Lee grins and affirms that he is "game."
Sigrun simply nods and switches her gaze to the sensors a moment while her blond locks blow in the grav carrier’s slipstream. Then she shows her teeth in a fierce bright wolfish grin.
Eclipse wrote:John Lee will let his partner do all the talking. She is much prettier than he is. :-)

(OOC: This is true. Just don’t tell the Swordy she’s "pretty" - or even worse “cute” :shock: :) )

Sigrun addresses the Rangers "Goden dag, we are security from the yacht Old Dream. We plan to conduct some scouting for future hunting trips on behalf of our employer".

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#100 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Eris wrote:
Zaki shakes her head. "Nothing specific, just current events. I like to know what is happening in cities I visit."
Carlos nods. "Definitely. Especially the tourist sites and good restaurant recommendations." He smiles at the librarian. "Do you have that kind of information online?"
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”