Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (005) Ready for Ruie!

#101 Post by Eris »

Present: Zaki, Pedro, Carlos, Edwardo, Chandra
joertexas wrote:
Eris wrote:
joertexas wrote:During the van ride, Zaki tries to access the datanet with Carlos' help. When they arrive, she walks to the help desk and approaches the man on duty. "Hello, I'd like to use the main reading room."
"Why certainly, young lady." says the librarian, "Do you need help finding something in particular?"
Zaki shakes her head. "Nothing specific, just current events. I like to know what is happening in cities I visit."
"That's a sensible approach, siretta." says the older man, "And a library is a good site for such a purpose."

"For current events, I would suggest the Periodicals Section where we have current magazines and newspapers from Tabor and surrounding nations."
he adds.
Carlos nods. "Definitely. Especially the tourist sites and good restaurant recommendations." He smiles at the librarian. "Do you have that kind of information online?"
"Yes sir, there are tourist guides in the Periodical Room and restaurant recommendations would be best found in local newspapers...or perhaps from local guides. As for online information, you will also find most newspapers thus, and some magazines or a sort. Our online section is lacking the ubiquity of more advanced systems, though, I am afraid.
Edwardo approaches the desk and lays both elbows on the surface. He carefully folds his hands before talking quietly before asking. "Let's just say, hypothetically, that I was trying to skip-trace an individual, what resources might you direct me to?"
The man turns toward Edwardo and says with a slight frown, "Sir? I do not know, skiptrace? Is that finding someone who has disappeared?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#102 Post by Eris »

Present: Sigrun, John Lee
Tiglath wrote:
Eris wrote:The grav vehicles' comm buzzes. The Ranger Station is ordering you to land for inspection.
In accordance with the plan the g carrier will land as directed and Sigrun will comply with the requirements of the Rangers. She states that her business is recon overflights for future hunting trips by her employer.
The rangers seem friendly and explain that due to local laws, it is important that all firearms be checked upon entering and exiting the preserves to make sure they are safely stored and accounted for. They go through the obviously gun carrying cases, but don't do any deep searching of the grav craft, not even using any sort of densometer, xray or ct scanners.

In your opinion, you could easily sneak most anything through these checks.

After having been given a pass and a map you are allowed to enter the preserve. Leaving the station you fly over the preserve. There is radar out about 10 kilometers from the station, but beyond that there is nothing except a radio beacon pulsing from the station to give its location. As you near the edge of the preserve, according to the map, a series of radio beacons mark the border. There are also a few very short range radar signals, but the border is not completely covered and is in your opinion quite porous.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:"That's a sensible approach, siretta." says the older man, "And a library is a good site for such a purpose."

"For current events, I would suggest the Periodicals Section where we have current magazines and newspapers from Tabor and surrounding nations."
he adds.
Carlos nods. "Definitely. Especially the tourist sites and good restaurant recommendations." He smiles at the librarian. "Do you have that kind of information online?"
"Yes sir, there are tourist guides in the Periodical Room and restaurant recommendations would be best found in local newspapers...or perhaps from local guides. As for online information, you will also find most newspapers thus, and some magazines or a sort. Our online section is lacking the ubiquity of more advanced systems, though, I am afraid.
Zaki isn't very sure about what 'magazines' and 'newspapers' are, but she nods and smiles. She spies the sign that says "Periodicals" and points is out to Carlos. As they walk in that direction, she leans close to him and speaks in a low voice. "Okay, so what are magazines and newspapers? The only magazine I know about holds ammunition."

JR
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun grins at John Lee “Well, that was a relaxed search! So far their sensor coverage looks as good for us as their level of scrutiny. Let’s take just enough time here to fit our “recon flight” cover and then go on to the Breven preserve”.

(OOC: As per the plan we are just establishing our cover story in this preserve and then are heading on to the "hotter" preserve near Breven).
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#105 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Eris wrote:"That's a sensible approach, siretta." says the older man, "And a library is a good site for such a purpose."

he adds.
Zaki isn't very sure about what 'magazines' and 'newspapers' are, but she nods and smiles. She spies the sign that says "Periodicals" and points is out to Carlos. As they walk in that direction, she leans close to him and speaks in a low voice. "Okay, so what are magazines and newspapers? The only magazine I know about holds ammunition."

JR
Carlos smiles. "Low tech information display, actually printed on paper. VERY limited. No hyperlinks, no metalinks, no indepth coverage, few references. You hold it in your hands and manually turn 'pages' to read them. No holoprints. By the time you learn to do holos, you already have electronic data storage. One of my old roommates collected 'paperbacks'. Maybe a couple megabytes of 'data', usually stories of some kind." He shrugs. "At least they're in Galanglic. I hope."
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by joertexas »

Keven wrote:Carlos smiles. "Low tech information display, actually printed on paper. VERY limited. No hyperlinks, no metalinks, no indepth coverage, few references. You hold it in your hands and manually turn 'pages' to read them. No holoprints. By the time you learn to do holos, you already have electronic data storage. One of my old roommates collected 'paperbacks'. Maybe a couple megabytes of 'data', usually stories of some kind." He shrugs. "At least they're in Galanglic. I hope."
"I've seen books, but they were very old and fragile," she says. "Here we are," she stops and looks at the bookshelves. "I've never seen this many of them in one place." She steps over and looks at a rack labeled "Magazines". They are arranged in binders, and the Vilani pulls one off the shelf. "Oof, this is heavy!" She sets it on a nearby table and opens it, revealing a stack of news periodicals. "This is amazing," she breathes as she turns the glossy pages.

JR
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#107 Post by Nuke66 »

Edwardo continues, "Basically Yes. Tracing financial records is usually effective. I just need an In, if you know what I mean" He exudes his influence as he tries to convince the librarian to help.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote:
Keven wrote:Carlos smiles. "Low tech information display, actually printed on paper. VERY limited. No hyperlinks, no metalinks, no indepth coverage, few references. You hold it in your hands and manually turn 'pages' to read them. No holoprints. By the time you learn to do holos, you already have electronic data storage. One of my old roommates collected 'paperbacks'. Maybe a couple megabytes of 'data', usually stories of some kind." He shrugs. "At least they're in Galanglic. I hope."
"I've seen books, but they were very old and fragile," she says. "Here we are," she stops and looks at the bookshelves. "I've never seen this many of them in one place." She steps over and looks at a rack labeled "Magazines". They are arranged in binders, and the Vilani pulls one off the shelf. "Oof, this is heavy!" She sets it on a nearby table and opens it, revealing a stack of news periodicals. "This is amazing," she breathes as she turns the glossy pages.
The writing is in Galanglic, so you are able to read them, although some of the local idioms can only be figured out by inference.

OOC: What are you looking for?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by Eris »

Nuke66 wrote:Edwardo continues, "Basically Yes. Tracing financial records is usually effective. I just need an In, if you know what I mean" He exudes his influence as he tries to convince the librarian to help.
"Hum, well, we can't get at anything that isn't public information, but we might be able to find some information out about individuals, if we have a name and perhaps a address." the man turns his terminal around a bit so Edwardo can see the screen. He seems prepared to help, at least, up to a point.

Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:The writing is in Galanglic, so you are able to read them, although some of the local idioms can only be figured out by inference.

Zaki flips through the first magazine, quickly noting the cover and the index. "Oh, I see. It's arranged like a data site, although I suppose it's that data sites are arranged like these." She looks for local and planetary news, trying to see if the magazine titles give any clue as to what they contain.

OOG: She had tried to access the local datanet during the cab ride, emulating what Carlos had done. Did she have any luck with that?
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#111 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote:Zaki flips through the first magazine, quickly noting the cover and the index. "Oh, I see. It's arranged like a data site, although I suppose it's that data sites are arranged like these." She looks for local and planetary news, trying to see if the magazine titles give any clue as to what they contain.

OOG: She had tried to access the local datanet during the cab ride, emulating what Carlos had done. Did she have any luck with that?
OOC: The titles do give clues to the subjects of the magazines and their articles. Yes, Joxe was able to connect to the local datanet through the ship's computer just as Carlos did.

Local news and world news is quite varied and in no particular order:
  • Luzon forces rumored to have bases near the coast south of Tabor City.
  • Gathering Moss, a band, is on a world wide tour with a Tabor City concert in 3 days.
  • Imperials have pulled all ships out of Ruie space, opinions range from "about time" to "asking for trouble."
  • Push for planetary unification being pushed by President Card of the Acton Republic, opinions similar to the above point.
  • A string of unsolved robberies are plaguing Caladon and East Pyangan. These robberies are uncommonly well organized and the robbers are using top of the line military weapons and armor.
  • Hado Streakers leading the Tabor Futball Association, rookie Chance Song leading contender to join the National Team for the upcoming Ruie Cup.
  • Pilk Wambler released from prison in West Pyangan after serving a 10 year sentence for spying.
  • International Data Network proposed with support from several universities and governments.
  • Airship crash near Lola in the Acton Republic now seen as the result of sabotage, 83 dead, 4 still missing.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Local news and world news is quite varied and in no particular order:
  • Gathering Moss, a band, is on a world wide tour with a Tabor City concert in 3 days.
  • Imperials have pulled all ships out of Ruie space, opinions range from "about time" to "asking for trouble."
  • Push for planetary unification being pushed by President Card of the Acton Republic, opinions similar to the above point.
  • A string of unsolved robberies are plaguing Caladon and East Pyangan. These robberies are uncommonly well organized and the robbers are using top of the line military weapons and armor.
  • Hado Streakers leading the Tabor Futball Association, rookie Chance Song leading contender to join the National Team for the upcoming Ruie Cup.
  • Pilk Wambler released from prison in West Pyangan after serving a 10 year sentence for spying.
  • International Data Network proposed with support from several universities and governments.
  • Airship crash near Lola in the Acton Republic now seen as the result of sabotage, 83 dead, 4 still missing.
Zaki looks for a world map so she can get her bearings on where these places are. She also checks for anything that mentions Imperial POWs.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote:
Eris wrote: Local news and world news is quite varied and in no particular order:
Zaki looks for a world map so she can get her bearings on where these places are. She also checks for anything that mentions Imperial POWs.
Zaki spies a world map pinned to the wall of the room she and Carlos are in. Walking over she looks it over.

Pyangan is an island that resembles a bar bell. There is a narrow strip of land running roughly east and west with two larger areas to either side. The island is divided in to East Pyangan and West Pyangan. The Pyangan island is north and west of Tabor, which on this map is centered.

Tabor is on the southern part of a medium sized continent in the northern hemisphere. It stretches from an eastern ocean to a western ocean with a smaller ocean, or sea south of it. Tabor City is about 100 km north of the southern sea on the banks of a large river that drains into that sea.

North of Tabor beyond what look like a large mountain range is the country of Acton. Acton also stretches from ocean to ocean with a icy northern frontier.

South of the equator there is a large continent divided into a multitude of small countries.

Tabor and Acton are the largest of the nation states, by far.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by Eris »

Nuke66 wrote:Edwardo answers, "We are looking for one 'Lord William.' "
"Lord William?" repeats the librarian, "A local or from a foreign state?"

OOC: You won't find any information about a Lord William from Regina. There are several Lord Williams from several Ruie nation states, but none match up with the fellow you are seeking.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:Tabor and Acton are the largest of the nation states, by far.
Zaki returns to the magazines and looks for back issues from the time when Imperial forces were on the ground. She's particularly interested in stories about Imperial POWs.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#117 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Zaki returns to the magazines and looks for back issues from the time when Imperial forces were on the ground. She's particularly interested in stories about Imperial POWs.
Carlos tries logging into the local net, sets up a history search for the same, Imperial POWs.
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:
joertexas wrote:
Carlos tries logging into the local net, sets up a history search for the same, Imperial POWs.
Zaki comes up empty, she isn't sure there is nothing, but there was nothing she could find.

Carlos, OTOH, does come up with a three short articles. The first merely mentions that Imperial POW's are to be interned in a camp just east of Tabor City, but that they will be closely guarded so won't pose a danger to the local population. The second is right at the war's end and mentions the POW camp closing in a few days and the prisoners are to be returned to Imperial forces in orbit as part of the peace agreement. The second is a day after the first and is an opinion piece from some politician with ties to the Luzan decrying returning the POW's without extracting more concessions from the Imperials.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun grins at John Lee “Well, that was a relaxed search! So far their sensor coverage looks as good for us as their level of scrutiny. Let’s take just enough time here to fit our “recon flight” cover and then go on to the Breven preserve”.

(OOC: As per the plan we are just establishing our cover story in this preserve and then are heading on to the "hotter" preserve near Breven).
You fly back to the Ranger Station and check out. They just make sure you don't have any obvious dead (or live) animals in the back of the grav vehicle before waving your through.

You fly south over a mix of thick tropical looking forest, small fields of crops and villages half hidden by the foliage. There is another Ranger Station listed as being near the larger town of Belen. Sigrun and John Lee notice that their craft is lite up from ground radar three times on the flight down south, but the sensors never lock on your craft and lose contact almost immediately. Clearly, the quality of these folks radar and other sensors is quite low. You also notice only two other craft in the air. Both are very large airships moving along what looks like a fixed route between Tabor City and Belen...very high above the ground, like 12 km up, and moving very slowly, like 100 kph.

When you reach the Ranger Station you are greeted much like at the other, but are warned that you shouldn't hunt in this preserve. If you do stay in the upper portion of the reserve as there have be reports of paramilitary activities to the south and along the coast where a former military camp had been located during the recent 'unpleasantries.'
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Tiglath »

Despite the safety warnings Sigrun appears cheerfully relaxed and muses “I know nothing of airships. Do you think they fly so high to avoid ground fire?”

Once checked into the preserve she readies her weapons and loads all the available magazines taping some together to aid sustained fire with the hunting rifles.

She states “We need to turn up some actionable Intel for the team” and then calmly suggests “How about a “survey run”? South - down the coast?” She continues “There should be plenty of sensor clutter from the tree line and that’s where the Luzon are supposed to be established. We could perform the odd “pop up” to get a steer from the sensors but when we’re close we go in low and slow. Maybe the last on foot - but recon only”. She glances sideways at John Lee and with a slow smile asks “Are you scouts rated for pedestrian activity?”
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”