Watching "The Expanse"

Eris
bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Watching "The Expanse"

#1 Post by bruce.desertrat »

I think Pedro is going to start speaking a little differently. Currently watching "The Expanse"http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse second season; and I found a article about Belter Creole http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Belter_Creole

This is staggeringly good series, on par with the BSG reboot.
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Watching "The Expanse"

#2 Post by Keven »

bruce.desertrat wrote:I think Pedro is going to start speaking a little differently. Currently watching "The Expanse"http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse second season; and I found a article about Belter Creole http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Belter_Creole

This is staggeringly good series, on par with the BSG reboot.
Carlos has ALWAYS spoken with a weird slang. :D
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by bruce.desertrat »

I'm going to post stuff here as I develop it so I can remember what I've come up with...

Pedros Belter to English 1

compa friendly way of saying 'Hey You!', you guy, person.
compamio as above but more of a term of endearment, you say this to your actual friends.

dinka Worn out, broken beyond repair, used up.
domo Thanks, from the japanese 'domo arigato'

hola straight up spanish for hello

voyo look around, sightsee, 'counting the potatoes' as my mil once put it...

tovapalya ship-mate, part of your crew, but not part of your clan

doonfa lord knows what obscure part of my brain this came from, but basically a doonfa is a lazy, inept slacker, annoying to work with or around because they're basically useless, but not so bad as to make you mad at them. Can be counted on to do a half-assed job even when half-assed is harder than doing it right. You don't want to be in a battle with a doonfa, though, unless you need to stuff a nearby hull puncture with something. Possibly a portmanteau of 'doofus' and 'asshole'

drangin 'dirt-bug' derogatory name for non-belters.

kakio dump, shithole, a stinky, dirty hab with bad maintenance, crappy air handlers and undefinable smells it takes you weeks to really get out of your clothes

tu va ok 'problem solved' "We have power again because I laid in a jumper from the next compartment, tu va! Don't trip over it, yah doonfa!"

yabbo streng literally 'distant bridge'. Means unbelievable proposition. "That tovoplaya Eneri, he claims to be a noble second son. HAH that's a yabbo streng for a guy who can't get two creds together for a caff!"

mesticho Self-deprecating term for 'belter' , 'mutt', 'mongrel', derived from Spanish or Portugese. Belters are inordinately proud of the fact that they're a bit of everything. "I'm no Solomani! I'm a mesticho belter, dammit!"

shiiga kaka literally shit shit : roughly translated as holy fucking shitballs as in "Shiiga kaka! Watch where you aim that thing you almost shot me!"

oyos eyes

tadaketting watch out for all, leave no one behind. Part of belter culture instilled from a very young age. You are all responsible for everyone on your site/crew/clan...

mani lena keylako kind of a mantra Pedro uses to calm himself in times of '42 emergencies at once'. Belters are ingrained with this kind of activity from early childhood, since dealing with '42 emergencies at once' comes up relatively often and keeping a calm head and not consuming O2 in a panic is a good thing. Pedro was taught this one by his Aunt; he doesn't really know a thing about it. In actuality it's the first name of his aunt's older sister and two of her friends who used to torment his aunt mercilessly...she adopted their names as a mantra as 'if I can survive them I can survive anything...'

dehashtaanki Touchy, dangerous, unpredictable. "Careful with those old surplus demo charges, the dehashstaanki things'll go off if you look at 'em sideways"

Krech n gat Literally 'spiked and crushed', but meaning 'we're so fucked! We're cheetos, man!'. "Krech n gat, that's a fooking Zho troop carrier just landed and we're low on ammo and the drives are busted!"

knab'ngo beatdown. Depending on the context anything from a friendly bar fight to something that ends with the enemy's almost lifeless corpse geting shoved out the airlock
Last edited by bruce.desertrat on Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:45 am, edited 11 times in total.
Blade.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Heh. This is the product of a doonfa:

The University has a site license for Sophos Antivirus for all of our supported platforms. This is what you see when you start up the Mac installer:

The doonfa who put this installer up had to go out of their way to get the german version...and it's been there for months. Our Adobe Acrobat DC installer dates from 2015, and has a certificate in it that expired two weeks ago, so it won't install unless you set the computer's clock back, and the volume licensed Microsoft Office we have crashes instantly when it's installed on the latest version of OSX ( which in their defense, has only been out in official release since September. :lol: )
Blade.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Another classic doonfa moment:

The PrintScreen key, has been around in one form or another since the dawn of the PC age, it was on the original IBM PC keyboard. Windows has ALWAYS supported screen capture, since before many of the people working in our MMC call centers were born...

Want to send a picture of what's on your screen to helpdesk?

Press Print Screen, right-click in your email compose window and paste. Send.

Want to send a picture of what's on your screen to helpdesk the doonfa way?

Take a picture of the screen with your cell phone.

Mail the picture to yourself from your cellphone.

Start Word.

Copy the picture from your email to yourself.

Paste it in to the Word document, taking care to ensure it is rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise.

Save the word document.

Mail that document to helpdesk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tq3kc4lqfs5hn ... k.png?dl=0
Blade.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by bruce.desertrat »

The Doonfa Chronicles, part 45.7

PowerShell is Microsoft's answer to 'what if we wrote perl the MS way, made it object oriented, use CamelCase throughout, (even though it is case-insensitive) then populated it with all manner of useful functions for doing Windows System Administration on the command line instead of clicking through a wizard for the 7,823,456th time'.

In short it's a really useful, powerful tool once you grok it's quirks. Windows admins the world over depend on it daily. It is not a tool for the faint-hearted and DEFINITELY not a tool for end-users.

Functions in Powershell are called cmdlets, and running a cmdlet gives you an object you can do other things to or with. Microsoft has libraries for managing various parts of their ecosystem, like Sharepoint, Active Directory and Exchange.

For example, Get-Mailbox -identity johnson gets my exchange mailbox. I can then pipe that object to other cmdlets to do things with it. As an Ezchange and domain admin, I can apply that cmdlet to any mailbox in our domain, or tenancy in the case of Office 365.

There is a cmdlet Get-Mailboxfolders It LOOKS useful, in that it presents you with a simple output to parse the structure of someone's mailbox. Then they assigned a doonfa to work on it.

I'll let the actual documentation speak for itself:

Use the Get-MailboxFolder cmdlet to view folders in your own mailbox. Administrators can't use this cmdlet to view folders in other mailboxes (the cmdlet is available only from the MyBaseOptions user role).

I spent a good hour on the phone with MS's O365 support (who are quite good, quick and helpful when you buy 30K licenses, btw) trying to figure out why it wouldn't work EXCEPT for my mailbox, before he read this closely and came back on the line with a serious note of disbelief that it only works on your own mailbox. No one who is using Powershell is using this tool to look at their own mailbox.

The thing is, the 'man page' https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... .160).aspx syntax descriptions ALL imply that you can use it on other mailboxes, and honestly, no one really reads the description; they'll invariably head to the syntax examples, because 99.999% of the time you learn a lot more about the command that way.
Blade.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by bruce.desertrat »

The Doonfa Chronicles Part 1011010023.876-BL/A

Previous Instructional computing person set up a Web Camera/DVR system to record students in the Mock clinical lab spaces. Dlink DVR+7 cameras. He passed along the MAC addresses so they would get an IP Address, never explicitly stated "Oh they need fixed IP addresses"

So they were added, all got addresses everything worked...until it mysteriously didn't.

This is what I found in the set up screen today: 7 cameras, 4 different IP addresses. Oddly we cannot see anything from any of the cameras ... and oh yeah, no one knows what the passwords are.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 12.59.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 12.59.57 PM.png (234.56 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
Blade.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Tiglath »

I note the Expanse Season IV is now commissioned. If I understand correctly it was so nearly cancelled but then SyFy Channel picked it up and then, in turn, Amazon bought it.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”