Character Generation

Eris
bluekieran2
Runner
Runner

Re: Character Generation

#41 Post by bluekieran2 »

Is that right, or should I be gaining skills at 1 rather than 0?
Into The Marches: Joe Whistler, 7B9378, 30, Army Captain, (3 terms).
Rifle-2, SMG-2, Vacc Suit-1, Brawling-1, Gunnery-1, Mechanic-1, Recon-1.
10,000 cr, SMG.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by Eris »

bluekieran2 wrote: Into The Marches: Joe Whistler, 7B9378, Army (3 terms). Gun Combat 1, Battle Dress 1.
Carousing 0, Gunnery 0, Melee Combat 0, Mechanic 0, Recon 0, Survival 0.

Is that right, or should I be gaining skills at 1 rather than 0?
Joe looks okay, but let's make a few changes to the skills, if you don't mind? I'm not using Carousing or Battle Dress in the game, and you have to have Vacc Suit 1 to use either Battle Dress or Combat Armor, so let's do something with them. Also, Gun Combat needs to be turned into a type of weapon and Joe will be some gun skills from basic and promotions. We'll limit the skill levels to 8, but that means turning some of your 0 levels to 1. I'll do 3 rolls for you for mustering out as well. (10Kcr, SMG, SMG).

So, how about:

Joe Whistler, 7B9378, 30, Army Captain, (3 terms).
10,000 cr, SMG.

That gives Joe a couple of skills he can use aboard a ship (Mechanic and Gunnery) to make him a useful crew member plus Vacc Suit which is the requirement for Combat Armor and useful aboard ship and on no, trace and very thin atmosphere planets. He also has a three good combat skills (Rifle, SMG, and Recon) making him useful in combat. He'll probably be point man with that Recon skill.

Joe doesn't have the cash to buy a set of Combat Armor (20 Kcr), and probably couldn't find it for sale on Regina anyway, but he could buy a good TL A Vacc Suit (8 Kcr) which will also serve as about the best armor he can buy short of Cbt Armor.

Does this work for you?

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

bluekieran2
Runner
Runner

#43 Post by bluekieran2 »

Perfect. Just have to give him a bit of personality, will work on that tomorrow.
10,000 cr, SMG.

Eclipse
Strider
Strider

#44 Post by Eclipse »

Bootleggers in Space! (meant to post here, but created a new topic by mistake)

When I hit Air/Raft 3 in character generation, I had the character concept down.
The name, John Lee Petamore, is from an old Steve Earle song called Copperhead Road.

The Revolver skill was a deliberate pick from options in Book 1 Gun Combat skill.
Scouts can be far away from resupply for long periods of time, so some items are picked for reliability and simplicity.
A magnum revolver makes large holes in things and reliably operates every single time you pull the trigger.
I followed this through to his very non-regulation Sub-Machine Gun. It's a mechanically simple open bolt operation weapon he picked up in his travels.
It was clearly built, not manufactured. It has a folding wire type stock and stick magazine that sticks out the side of the mechanism, and a well worn wooden pistol grip.
(FYI, it's based on the British Sten. A simple design that high school students used to make in metal shop as part of the war effort.)

John Lee and the IISS parted ways after 12 years. He is looking for some adventure, preferably adventure that pays well.

JLP shows up wearing a woodland camo boonie hat, a brightly colored floral patterned shirt, cargo shorts and sandals. He has a backpack and a small wheeled footlocker.

Gear:
Item Cost Mass TL
cloth Armor 250 2.5 7
combination Mask 200 0.8 9
Magnetic Compass 10 3
Mechanical Tool Set 1000 20 5
Electronic Tool Set 2000 5 7
50Km Comm 250 0.1 13
Goggles 20 9
Binoculars, Electronic 750 2 8
Binoculars, optical 75 0.6 11
combination googles 1250 9
Multitool
Backpack 45 6
Foot locker, portable

A pair of magnum revolvers (speed loaders, holsters, 1000 rounds)
SMG (6 30 round magazines, 1000 rounds)
weapon cleaning kits
Large Bowie Knife
large folding knife (more of a tool than a weapon)
Brass knuckles
Into the Marches
John Lee Petamore, IISS 3 terms
7A7865
Mechanical - 1, Electronics - 1, Streetwise - 1, SMG - 1, Revolver - 2, Air/Raft - 3

bluekieran2
Runner
Runner

#45 Post by bluekieran2 »

Okay, so I was vaguely modelling Joe on Brad "Iceman" Colbert from Generation Kill, but then I looked at his rank and INT score and decided he needs to be "Encino Man" instead: A jock; brave, ambitious, dumb as a brick, and somewhat defensive when challenged.
Eris wrote:Joe doesn't have the cash to buy a set of Combat Armor (20 Kcr), and probably couldn't find it for sale on Regina anyway, but he could buy a good TL A Vacc Suit (8 Kcr) which will also serve as about the best armor he can buy short of Cbt Armor.
Sounds promising; which book(s) am I looking in for a shopping list, though? I can only see the TL9/12 vacc suits in Cepheus, so I guess one of the CT books?

Edit: Anyhow, that's sounds like a pretty good deal. He can go shopping again when he's made some cash!
10,000 cr, SMG.

monolith
Runner
Runner

#47 Post by monolith »

Pavel Porfirovich Rostnikov

85C784 Age: 34 Scouts 4 terms
Vacc-1, Electrical-1, Engineering-2, Mechanical-1, Gun Cbt-1, Jack of all trades-1, End +1, Pilot-1 30,000cr

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by Eris »

Pavel looks good monolith. I'll start him up as soon as I can.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”