Character Generation

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Character Generation

#1 Post by Eris »

If you aren't interested in "playing the character creation game", and just want to get started quickly you can answer the following questions and I'll make you a character...
  1. Name: (Your option, but don't make real tongue twisters, please)
  2. Career: (pick one from Army, Marines, Merchants, Navy, or Scouts)
  3. Terms: (1 to 4)
  4. Homeworld: (one of Low Tech, Medium Tech, or High Tech plus one of Desert, Water, Vacuum, Normal)
  5. Preferred Skills: (list 3 or 4 skills you'd prefer your PC to have, and/or a short description for the sort of PC you want to play)
  6. Description: (Keep it short here, hot-shot pilot, disgraced noble, shrew trader, jack of all trades scout, gun-monkey, something like that)
...we'll go over the PC I create for you and make it one you want to play.

Example:
1. Name: Eneri Jakson
2. Career: Merchant
3. Terms: 3
4. Homeworld: High-tech, Vacuum
5. Perferred Skills: Navigation, Trader, Streetwise
6. Description: Free Trader Officer

What I generated:
Eneri Jakson (586A76), 3rd Officer (Vacc Suit 1, Grav Vehicle 1, Navigation 1, Pilot 1, Trader 1, Pistol 1, Streetwise 1) Possessions: Snub Pistol, 2000 ImpCr

Or...
Players can use the Classic Traveller Book 1 or the Cepheus Engine to generate a character. Characters should have been in one of the following careers: Army, Marines, Merchants, Navy, Scouts

Treat dying or failing a reenlistment roll as conscription in the Imperial Forces, and forces a character (PC) into the game. The maximum number of Terms a PC may serve is 4. If the PC completes the 4th Term them are conscripted and begin the game.

In all cases a PC will get 1, just 1, roll on the Benefits Table (ship rolls requires a reroll).

PC's will be humans unless you make a special appeal to me and give me good reason to allow an alien.

One thing to keep in mind is that Traveller PC's are generally "experienced but mostly average Joes and Janes" doing adventurous things. You shouldn't create, or even want to have, Super PC's.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Character Generation

#2 Post by Fidget76 »

I had initially intended to build a character but I can see that what I was working towards may not be exactly what you had in mind. I don't mind adapting but unfortunately with work, I will not have the time to 'play the character build' game.

So, here comes my info.

Name: Donlath (Donnie Boy) Lekal
Career: Scouts
Terms: 4
Homeworld: High Tech, Water
Preferred Skills: Mechanics, Engineering, Electronics, Slug Pistol
I really want to play a ships mechanic/engineer. Someone who spends their day trying to keep some hunk of junk together but deathly proud of their hunk of junk. Kind of a Kaylee from Firefly meets Geordi Laforge.
Description: Orphan from the streets who's always had a keen hand with tech. Doesn't trust easy but when they do, its forever.

So there you go. Hope that all makes sense. I look forward to seeing what you put together and making it work.
In the Marches (Traveller)
Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts, --, 4 terms,
35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Mechanics-1,
Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1. Benefit: Auto
Pistol

Lab Lord - The North Marches
Dorath, Magic User

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Eris »

Fidget76 wrote:I had initially intended to build a character but I can see that what I was working towards may not be exactly what you had in mind. I don't mind adapting but unfortunately with work, I will not have the time to 'play the character build' game.

So, here comes my info.

Name: Donlath (Donnie Boy) Lekal
I really want to play a ships mechanic/engineer. Someone who spends their day trying to keep some hunk of junk together but deathly proud of their hunk of junk. Kind of a Kaylee from Firefly meets Geordi Laforge.
Description: Orphan from the streets who's always had a keen hand with tech. Doesn't trust easy but when they do, its forever.

So there you go. Hope that all makes sense. I look forward to seeing what you put together and making it work.
You bet it makes sense! :)

I'll work up something for you today and we can discuss Donnie Boy!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Name: Pedro 'Wong Way' Wong
Career: Navy
Terms: 2 or 3
Homeworld: Medium tech Vacuum
Preferred Skills: Pilot, JOT, Engineering
Description: Quite confident he can fly anything in space including rocks with a drive bolted on*, and given sufficient duct tape, baling wire and WD-40 can fix anything well enough to get it back home into into the shop.

Pedro is a tall, lanky guy who looks like he has trouble finding legroom everywhere he goes. He was born a belter in his extended clan's cobbled-together planetoid habs,where they'd laid claim to a sizeable belt, and has the build of someone who's spent a lot of his life at zero gees.

He's been flying anything from air-rafts to 200T ore carriers between rocks in their belt since he was a young kid; his biggest problem is he'll tend to treat a bigger ship like it's a 30T launch.

MOST of the time he'll get away with it, although he's had a couple 'fender-benders' in his day.

When he wasn't ferrying tools and meals and supplies to their various mining sites, and rocks back, he also assisted his aunt Marion who was their clans go-to shadetree starship/life support/sensors/busted microwave ovens engineer; Marion had a vast hangar with scrounged, modified and in some cases invented outright tools to keep their ragtag fleet of vehicles running, the air in and the vacuum out, and eking out their living.

She'd been a Navy Engineer decades before, so when he turned 18 he lit out for the nearest recruiting station to follow in her footsteps.

So naturally the Navy made him a galley's mate on an ancient supply freighter on picket duty out near the Solomani RIm.

He spent his downtime studying for an Engineer's berth, and had actually passed some preliminary written and practical exams with decent scores when the FFW broke out.

The Navy hastily anointed him an Engineer's Mate, turned him into a crewsicle, and shipped him to the Marches, where they thawed him out, handed him a couple thousand CR and told him "Good Luck kid! Don't let the door hit yah where Grandfather split yah".

* (he did that once on a dare when he was 12, earning him his nickname after seat-of-the-pantsing a gravity-assisted slingshot around one of the worlds in their system to win the impromptu race)
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Nuke66 »

Me however, is gonna roll.

[2d6] = 8 STR
[2d6] = 4 DEX
[2d6] = 8 END
[2d6] = 8 INT
[2d6] = 7 EDU
[2d6] = 11 SOC

I know it is not on the list of careers, but I'd like to go that route as an Administrator.

[2d6] = 5 qualify (INT4+)

Imma gonna pick skills instead of rolling, just to built the right skill set.

+1 EDU, Comms, Broker

[2d6] = 8 survival (INT4+)
[2d6] = 8 advancement(EDU6+)

Admin 1, Broker 1 (or2?)

[2d6] = 7 event
[2d6] = 11 life event

Crime: The character commits a crime, is accused of a crime, or is the victim of a crime. Lose one Benefit roll or reduce your Social Standing by 1.

that's it for now, I haven't decided if he is just accused, or convicted.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Eris »

Nuke66 wrote:Me however, is gonna roll.
That's cool with me. :)
[2d6] = 8 STR
[2d6] = 4 DEX
[2d6] = 8 END
[2d6] = 8 INT
[2d6] = 7 EDU
[2d6] = 11 SOC

I know it is not on the list of careers, but I'd like to go that route as an Administrator.
That's fine.

If your Soc is 11 you'd be playing a Knight, unlanded, so you'd be Sir Some One. If you take the 1 level drop in Soc to 10 you'd be an Imperial Gentleman. Hum, let's say you PC is the younger son of a Baronet/Baron so he'd be called Lord Some One whether he was Soc A or B. He might have membership in TAS as his mustering out benefit, that would be useful, and not unbalancing.
[2d6] = 5 qualify (INT4+)

Imma gonna pick skills instead of rolling, just to built the right skill set.

+1 EDU, Comms, Broker

[2d6] = 8 survival (INT4+)
[2d6] = 8 advancement(EDU6+)

Admin 1, Broker 1 (or2?)

[2d6] = 7 event
[2d6] = 11 life event

Crime: The character commits a crime, is accused of a crime, or is the victim of a crime. Lose one Benefit roll or reduce your Social Standing by 1.

that's it for now, I haven't decided if he is just accused, or convicted.
Picking is fine with me as long as you don't go crazy with it. :)

So far it looks like you have...

Lord Some Name, 8488(7->8)(B-?A), Administrator, 2 terms, Admin-1, Broker-2, Comm-1...

And that looks great so far!

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Nuke66 »

Well, let's say he was accused of embezzlement.....but not enough evidence.....yet.

so, term 2:
[2d6] = 7 qualify

Persuade for a skill.

[2d6] = 3 survival (INT4+)
[1d6] = 1 mishap
[1d6] = 5 injury
Injured. Reduce any physical characteristic by 1. (-1 STR)

Term 3: Merchant

[2d6] = 6 Qualify merchant (INT4+)

Broker

Streetwise, Astrogation, Streetwise 2

[2d6] = 8 survival
[2d6] = 7 event
[2d6] = 9 sigh, life event again
Travel: The character moves to another world. You gain a +2 DM to your next Qualification roll
[2d6] = 9 advancement (INT7+)
Broker

since I have a +2, let's do the last (4th) term

[2d6+2] = 12+2 = 14 qualify (INT4+)
[2d6] = 2 event
[1d6] = 4 mishap
Your ship or starport is destroyed by criminals. Gain them as an Enemy
[2d6] = 6 advancement nope

Deception

[2d6] = 10 survival (INT7+)

You can do the benefits, looks complicated with two careers both with ship shares.....

A TAS membership would be good.

In summary, a somewhat disgraced lesser nobleman who has make his mark in less than scrupulous brokering of goods. His past had finally caught up with him and he was given the choice, volunteer, or go to prison.....

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Character Generation for Nuke66's PC

#8 Post by Eris »

Nuke66 wrote:A TAS membership would be good.

In summary, a somewhat disgraced lesser nobleman who has make his mark in less than scrupulous brokering of goods. His past had finally caught up with him and he was given the choice, volunteer, or go to prison.....
Only thing lacking is a name. :)

Here's what I have, how does it look to you?

Lord Some One, 74888A, Merchant/Administrator, 4 terms, 35,
Admin-1, Astrogate-1, Broker-4, Comm-1, Deception-1,
Persuade-1, Streetwise-2. Benefit: TAS. Enemy: Criminal

A somewhat disgraced lesser nobleman who has make his
mark in less than scrupulous brokering of goods. His past
had finally caught up with him and he was given the choice,
volunteer, or go to prison.....
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Donlath (Donnie Boy) Lekal

#9 Post by Eris »

Name: Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal

Characteristics
Str: [2d6] = 9
Dex: [2d6] = 9
End: [2d6] = 5

Int: [2d6] = 11
Edu: [2d6] = 8
Soc: [2d6] = 5

• Background Skill
  • Mechanics-1
  • Watercraft-1
  • Pilot-1
  • Term 1
  • Engineering+1
  • Str+1
  • Term 2
  • Gun Cbt+1
  • Gun Cbt+1
  • Term 3
  • Melee Cbt+1
  • Engineering+1
  • Term 4
  • Electronics+1
  • Medicine+1
  • Benefit
  • Edu+1
Here's what I rolled up, what do you think?
  • Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts,
    --, 4 terms, 35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2,
    Mechanics-1, Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1.
    Benefit: Auto Pistol
  • Orphan from the streets who's always had a keen
    hand with tech. Doesn't trust easy but when they do, its
    forever.
Last edited by Eris on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Misread Career (fixed)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by Fidget76 »

Here's what I rolled up, what do you think?

Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts,
--, 4 terms, 35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2,
Mechanics-1, Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1.
Benefit: Auto Pistol
Awesome!

I am really looking forward to getting this going. I love that there some 'Medic' skill in there as well.

Cheers Eris!
In the Marches (Traveller)
Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts, --, 4 terms,
35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Mechanics-1,
Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1. Benefit: Auto
Pistol

Lab Lord - The North Marches
Dorath, Magic User

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Pedro "Wong Way" Wong

#11 Post by Eris »

Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77, Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31, Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit: Blade.

Plus your great write up...

How does Pedro look to you?

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Looks great! Now to put it someplace I can find it again! :-) Too bad the dice roller player profile is so D&D centric; be cool to have other game types there...
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Nuke66 »

Lord Edwardo Muscha.

Tall and kinda awkward. Average on appearance, He keeps well groomed and dressed.

6'2", black curly hair, brown eyes.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by joertexas »

Here's what I have so far. I'm still working on her name and the details of her history:

30 year old human female

Strength - 4
Dexterity - 8
Endurance - 6
Intelligence - 11
Education - 9
Social Standing - 7

Imperial Army Major, 2 terms
Other, 1 term

Rifle - 1
SMG -1
Medical - 2
Air/Raft - 1
Admin - 1
Gambling - 1
Computer - 1
Streetwise - 1

History:

Term 1:
Enlisted in Imperial Army Medical Program - promoted to Captain (O2):
Rifle - 1, SMG -1, Medical - 2, Air/Raft - 1, Admin - 1

Term 2:
Reenlisted, Promoted to Major (O3) can reenlist:
Gambling - 1, Computer - 1

Term 3: Other career - injured during term:
Streetwise - 1
New Character Study One.jpg
New Character Study One.jpg (189.61 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Eris »

JR's PC

Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31, Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1. Enemy: Criminal Cartel.

Plus great writeup...
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Nuke66 »

So we have Pedro as Pilot, Donny as Engineer, Edwardo as Navigator/Comms, and Zaki as Computers/Medic.

Not bad for ship operation. Port side, enough meat to enforce the deals. :D

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Eris »

Nuke66 wrote:So we have Pedro as Pilot, Donny as Engineer, Edwardo as Navigator/Comms, and Zaki as Computers/Medic.

Not bad for ship operation. Port side, enough meat to enforce the deals. :D
Yep worked out well. We got a 5th player before I closed recruiting, Balrog. I haven't heard from him today, but he said he was working on a character. He wants to do a Scientist type character, we'll see if we can work him in. If he doesn't hurry, though, he'll miss the shuttle. :-)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Keven »

How's Carlos coming along, Eris?
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:How's Carlos coming along, Eris?
Coming along! :)

Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, ---, 3.5 terms, 33, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

How does that look to you?

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Eris »

Justin's PC:

Str: [2d6] = 7 Dex: [2d6] = 5 End: [2d6] = 6
Int: [2d6] = 8 Edu: [2d6] = 12 Soc: [2d6] = 7

Benton McKenzie, 7568B7, Scouts 2 /Army 1, ---, 3 terms, 31, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Electronics-1, Ground Vehicle-1, JOAT-1, Pilot-1, Riding-1, Rifle-1, Vacc Suit-1. Blade.

How does this look?

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”