OOG: Game

Eris
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOG: Game

#121 Post by Tiglath »

I’ve looked over the stats for the Akkigish Class Far Trader which matches the proposed upgrade of our ship. This would give us Jump 2 and Manoeuvre 3 (enough to outrun most non warships) whilst keeping enough cargo (182 Tons) to allow Edwardo’s Brokering to keep us afloat financially.

The design is TL10 so if LSP retro fit it at Imperial standard (TL 14) or even at Regina’s TL12 and “tweak” the power plant we might have enough energy to power weapons in our extra turrets!

For those not familiar with Traveller ship design J4 capacity usually means a much bigger ship (which therefore costs way more) or takes up so much of a smaller ship’s capacity as to make it very limited in role.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:I’ve looked over the stats for the Akkigish Class Far Trader which matches the proposed upgrade of our ship. This would give us Jump 2 and Manoeuvre 3 (enough to outrun most non warships) whilst keeping enough cargo (182 Tons) to allow Edwardo’s Brokering to keep us afloat financially.

The design is TL10 so if LSP retro fit it at Imperial standard (TL 14) or even at Regina’s TL12 and “tweak” the power plant we might have enough energy to power weapons in our extra turrets!

For those not familiar with Traveller ship design J4 capacity usually means a much bigger ship (which therefore costs way more) or takes up so much of a smaller ship’s capacity as to make it very limited in role.
Yes, J4 is mostly for much bigger and/or military ships...or for specialized Jump Tenders that ferry ships across big voids. For example, if you wanted to reach the Island Cluster in the Great Void you'd probably attach your ship to a Jump Ferry or Tender and for a fee get boosted across the void like almost every other ship in Known Space.

As for the Akkigish Far Trader, yes, it's on my list. :) However, look up the Star Class Armored Merchant. It is smaller, and has less cargo space, but is likely to be a lot cheaper and it *does* have a J3 if you really want that.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Tiglath »

That is a good point we don’t need to explore the rift - just pay cargo to get hauled across! However, I think grim economics will make that an issue for the future.

For now I think we need a “workhorse” of a ship in which to earn the big money needed to keep adventuring in a starship. Fitting J4 (or even J3) is perhaps something we can’t afford in a smaller ship which we want to be able to do other roles.

There is also another less obvious consideration in that jumps that size are big enough to move us way out of the territory in which the PCs have built up a reputation and contacts.

The Star class seems good but in that size hull the “squeeze” from installing J3 means we’re left with an M1 tub that can’t get away from any trouble. We get more tactical flexibility with the Akkigish class (J2/M3) and have the option of the “intruder” role by carrying collapsible internal fuel tanks as cargo (i.e. jump in and out on our own internal fuel). This compromise also does give us an effective J4 capacity (should we need it) with a J2 x2 “long haul” through deep space using Carlos’ “Ace Navigator” skills.

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#124 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Keven wrote:A better love story than Twilight. ALMOST as good as Gomez and Morticia.
That's a lofty goal; all we can do is strive toward it. :D

IIRC, I don't think Zaki has told Carlos about her past - or did she?
Just a bit. About her family getting killed off.
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#125 Post by Keven »

Eris wrote:
Tiglath wrote:I’ve looked over the stats for the Akkigish Class Far Trader which matches the proposed upgrade of our ship. This would give us Jump 2 and Manoeuvre 3 (enough to outrun most non warships) whilst keeping enough cargo (182 Tons) to allow Edwardo’s Brokering to keep us afloat financially.

Yes, J4 is mostly for much bigger and/or military ships...or for specialized Jump Tenders that ferry ships across big voids. For example, if you wanted to reach the Island Cluster in the Great Void you'd probably attach your ship to a Jump Ferry or Tender and for a fee get boosted across the void like almost every other ship in Known Space.

As for the Akkigish Far Trader, yes, it's on my list. :) However, look up the Star Class Armored Merchant. It is smaller, and has less cargo space, but is likely to be a lot cheaper and it *does* have a J3 if you really want that.
Gee, who do we know that had a game with a Star class in player hands for a bit?
In The Marches:
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote: Gee, who do we know that had a game with a Star class in player hands for a bit?
LOL, I wonder! :)

How about this one?

If you take Haber's job offer you'll be getting to know the Dione class pretty well. Got to give you all something to do if you want to do a complete overhaul on the ship you liberated. :) Haber would like y'all to transport a bunch of replacement LSP managers to systems along the main and return with some of the LSP managers that were serving in those systems. Your expenses will be paid by LSP and there will be opportunities to take on passengers and cargo as you go both ways. The trip will probably take you a few months, and it'll take at least that long to get Unnamed refitted so if you've nothing better to do....:)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by joertexas »

Keven wrote:Just a bit. About her family getting killed off.
Okay, so Carlos knows the rest from there. ;)
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:If you take Haber's job offer you'll be getting to know the Dione class pretty well. Got to give you all something to do if you want to do a complete overhaul on the ship you liberated. :) Haber would like y'all to transport a bunch of replacement LSP managers to systems along the main and return with some of the LSP managers that were serving in those systems. Your expenses will be paid by LSP and there will be opportunities to take on passengers and cargo as you go both ways. The trip will probably take you a few months, and it'll take at least that long to get Unnamed refitted so if you've nothing better to do....:)
That sounds good to me.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Tiglath »

This looks like the "stretch" version of the Empress Marava Far Trader from Traders & Gunboats.

It’s a well known truth in campaigns that possession of actual deck plans trumps any consideration of ship performance when deciding on a ship! :)

The Marava Class are also much more secure if we're going to be letting hijackers ... er ... passengers on board. ;)

The job offer sounds good to me too!

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:This looks like the "stretch" version of the Empress Marava Far Trader from Traders & Gunboats.

It’s a well known truth in campaigns that possession of actual deck plans trumps any consideration of ship performance when deciding on a ship! :)

The Marava Class are also much more secure if we're going to be letting hijackers ... er ... passengers on board. ;)

The job offer sounds good to me too!
Yeah, it's a derivative of Empress Marava. It is from this book.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#131 Post by Keven »

Tiglath wrote:Here's some ship plans which show a Fat Trader (Type R) and a Q Ship/ Corsair upgrade (Type RQ) side by side (middle row).

http://juliahwest.com/Traveller/Brook_West/
"Winnebego? Hell, we're givin them away!"
Eris wrote:How about this one?

If you take Haber's job offer you'll be getting to know the Dione class pretty well. Got to give you all something to do if you want to do a complete overhaul on the ship you liberated. :) Haber would like y'all to transport a bunch of replacement LSP managers to systems along the main and return with some of the LSP managers that were serving in those systems. Your expenses will be paid by LSP and there will be opportunities to take on passengers and cargo as you go both ways. The trip will probably take you a few months, and it'll take at least that long to get Unnamed refitted so if you've nothing better to do....:)
I take it this is an upcoming job offer?
In The Marches:

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:I take it this is an upcoming job offer?
Yep, although, I'm tempted to just do a little modding with the ship and the offer. I think I have the ship you want...

You like the 400 dton Subbie, yes, but the one you have is a wreak that is going to take the better part of a year to fix. Frankly, I'd like to get you on a ship and get you out exploring...and getting into trouble. :) So, how about this...

There's a 40 year old Type RJ that you can get your hands on right now. This particular Type RJ has just gone through annual maintenance and is in reasonably good condition. Her owner is retiring and is willing to make you a good deal.

A Type RJ is a Fat Trader (400 dton) with upgrades to a J2/M2 drive and a Model-3 computer. It has 13 staterooms (5 crew/8 passenger in isolated sections from each other), 8 low berths, and can carry ~150 dtons of cargo. It has two of four hard points fitted with double turrets (1 laser/1 sandcaster in each). It comes with a fuel processor for turning unrefined fuel into refined fuel at a rate of 20 dtons a day. It has fuel tankage for 1 J2 or 2 J1's plus a month's maneuver.

And perhaps most importantly, I have deckplans! :)

How about Haber if has LSP buy your salvaged ship from you and add the money from that to the down payment and fix up offer Haber made earlier and some extra pickle from Lady Jane's bank account and you take ownership of the RJ ship that is coming up for sale? You'd have to take a 40 year mortgage at 150,000 cr per month to swing it, but it's going to be the best deal you could come up with for a ship of that size and capability.

The deal would only come with one string attached...you'd have to transport LSP's managers to their destinations along the main and return to Regina before you can do anything else.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Tiglath »

Eris wrote:A Type RJ is a Fat Trader (400 dton) with upgrades to a J2/M2 drive and a Model-3 computer. It has 13 staterooms (5 crew/8 passenger in isolated sections from each other), 8 low berths, and can carry ~150 dtons of cargo. It has two of four hard points fitted with double turrets (1 laser/1 sandcaster in each). It comes with a fuel processor for turning unrefined fuel into refined fuel at a rate of 20 dtons a day. It has fuel tankage for 1 J2 or 2 J1's plus a month's maneuver.
This sounds like the most ship we can get for our money and so gets my vote!

The weapons need improvement and adding collapsible fuel tanks would add mission flexibility but otherwise it is all there.

The separation of passengers and crew is another fix already put into the package.
Eris wrote:And perhaps most importantly, I have deckplans! :)
Winning bid! :D

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by joertexas »

I like this deal.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#135 Post by Nuke66 »

joertexas wrote:
Keven wrote:I'm good to carry on. I think Carlos & Zaki's romance is some of the most fun roleplay I've done in forever.
I'm enjoying it myself. :)
This has been interesting to read,

I'm game to continue, time to make some deals

So, how many credits do we have after all this?

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by Eris »

Nuke66 wrote:
joertexas wrote:
Keven wrote:I'm good to carry on. I think Carlos & Zaki's romance is some of the most fun roleplay I've done in forever.
I'm enjoying it myself. :)
This has been interesting to read,

I'm game to continue, time to make some deals

So, how many credits do we have after all this?
Good question! I was looking for the spreadsheet with all that info just now and couldn't find it. <sigh> I'll keep looking...

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Tiglath »

I think that Nuke has the "running totals" for Brokerage on Edwardo's character sheet (if that was the question - but I may have misunderstood ... :oops: )

As far as campaign admin goes are we OK to purchase additional gear whilst on Regina?

Assuming TL12 for Regina?

Sigun's not above ordering her gear via the Sword World embassy to "end around" any law level issues for firearms/ammunition! Although I'm not sure that's quite the assistance they had in mind when they offered it ;)

Equally if there are any issues for the party as a whole can Lord William help?

Not sure what I'll want to buy yet but at least six snub pistols with security loads and a shotgun or two for ship security / ship's locker.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#138 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:I think that Nuke has the "running totals" for Brokerage on Edwardo's character sheet (if that was the question - but I may have misunderstood ... :oops: )
Yes and no. That's Edwardo's running total...almost. Somehow the spec cargo y'all bought on Ruie and that is aboard The Old Dream got left off. Besides, I was sure I had sheet with what everyone was getting for finding Lord William, but I can't find it.

You're getting the ship for 150,000 cr a month, but you're going to need cash to buy essentials, pay for fuel, berthing fees, buy more spec cargo, etc. And this account shouldn't be personal, it should be a group account.
Tiglath wrote:As far as campaign admin goes are we OK to purchase additional gear whilst on Regina?

Assuming TL12 for Regina?

Sigun's not above ordering her gear via the Sword World embassy to "end around" any law level issues for firearms/ammunition! Although I'm not sure that's quite the assistance they had in mind when they offered it ;)

Equally if there are any issues for the party as a whole can Lord William help?

Not sure what I'll want to buy yet but at least six snub pistols with security loads and a shotgun or two for ship security / ship's locker.
1. Yes, you can buy gear here on Regina...standard for TL12 and I'll veto anything that isn't available when you bring it up.

2. The Embassy might help you a little, but don't count on much help unless you agree to be an asset...ie. reporting whatever you find out to various SW consulates as you travel.

3. Sir Keen (head of LSP in this area), Lord William and Lady Jane (who has all the money in that family) are getting you that ship for 150,000 cr a month on a 40 year mortgage. :) Don't expect a whole lot more help from them, except LSP is going to consider y'all in their debt and call on favors from time to time.

4. Before buying stuff for the ship, you need to check to see what comes with it. That will be coming up soon.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Tiglath »

The "ticket" Sigrun and the other "late arrivals" picked up was 25,000CR for recovering Lord William. It is in the main narrative as per pg.3 of Aboard the Old Dream.

Quote: OOC: Volsung, Gupta, Whistler and Petamore agreed to perform this mission for 25,000 Cr each.

I'm currently shopping for the Ship Security element of the Ship's Locker (and Sigrun) assuming Sigrun would volunteer for that task. She believes the below to be something of a minimum requirement! ;)

If the funds are not available she will buy the guns with her own cash. It will help her sleep!

Format: Weapon then cost, cost per clip (as per Striker) x No. of clips. Then (number of weapons) to give total cost.

Ship's Locker/Armoury
Shotgun 150 + 10x10 = 250 (Two = 500)
Autoshotgun 500 + 20x10 = 700 (Two = 1400)
SMG 9mm 150/20 cost 150 + 20x10 = 350 (One)
Snub pistol 150 + 10x5 = 200 (Five = 1000)

Sigrun Personal Purchases
Auto pistol 3 clips 10x3 = 30
Body pistol 500 + 20x5 = 600 (Query - law level?)
Gauss pistol 600 + 20x5 = 700 (Query - Tech level TL13 so would need to be an Import)

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”