OOC: Introductions

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

OOC: Introductions

#1 Post by Eris »

This is where players can introduce themselves to each other and get acquainted.

I'm Eris Reddoch and I've been role playing since 1975, role playing (mostly Reffing) Traveller since 1977. I'm a fan of the Old School gaming style, but prefer simple rules...very simple rules.

I haven't been able to play in a ftf game in several years, and working with computers all day soured me on video gaming so I've concentrated on PBEM and some PBP forum gaming. I'm used to the slow pace of online games. A post every day or two is probably all you'll see from me...except when things get really hectic, like combat. In that case, the posting rate might go up to 2 or 3 posts a day...but I promise it won't get too fast for anyone. Too slow is more likely to be the problem.

I have recently retired, but it seems like my free time has gone down. I went from being a Computer Science Professor working 50 hours a week to a full time caretaker for my ninety-five year old mother. As she says, "It ain't no fun getting old."

So, tell me about yourself.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

Re: OOC: Introductions

#2 Post by Fidget76 »

Greetings, I'm Fidget76. I've been playing RPG games of all types for over 30 years. Although DnD and Shadowrun were where most of my time was spent, I love some of the smaller brand games that came out in the 80's and 90's.

My brother is also on this site and was the one that got me involved.

I work in sales for a Pest Control company so when I'm not killing small pesky critters I might as well take out some of the big and imaginary ones.

Looking forward to gaming with you all.
In the Marches (Traveller)
Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts, --, 4 terms,
35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Mechanics-1,
Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1. Benefit: Auto
Pistol

Lab Lord - The North Marches
Dorath, Magic User

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Nuke66 »

Me, I sling auto parts full time, farm and coach football part time. I too enjoy PbP due to the pace and the lack of a dedicated time to respond. :D

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Hmm I used to describe myself as a 'defrocked biochemist now doing penance as an IT worker', but since I've been doing the 'penance' for over twice as long as the previous career, I'll just say I'm an IT guy with a good J-o-T skill :-) that rather vaguely remembers doing analytic chemistry once upon a time.

Been playing RPG's since 197-mumble mumble, and having played in several of Eris' PBEM games, I'll say we're in for a treat!
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by joertexas »

I'm JR, and I've been playing Traveller since the LBBs first came out. I've gamed with Eris since 2000 or so. I work for a large mail order pharmacy in the Quality group.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Balrog
Runner
Runner

#6 Post by Balrog »

Hey my name is Erik and I have been playing RPG's for over 20+ years now and still love it! Traveller is one of the first games that I started playing and I look forward to having some fun.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Eris »

Balrog wrote:Hey my name is Erik and I have been playing RPG's for over 20+ years now and still love it! Traveller is one of the first games that I started playing and I look forward to having some fun.
Welcome! Let's get a character genned up for you so you can join the others on the shuttle.

Again welcome!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Eris »

Keven and Justin have joined the game. Introduce yourself guys!

Both have given me info for their PC's and I'm in the process of genning them up. Then I thought, why not put both on the shuttle with the rest of you! :)

Keven's PC will be "the loner" that wasn't chatty with any of you until now and Justin's PC will be one of the marines that was gambling in the back of the boat. Yes, Justin's PC was a Scout, but he also did time in the army and got conscripted into the marines when all of you got frozen a year ago.

Welcome to both Keven and Justin and I hope you have fun!

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Keven »

Now that I can post, I'm Keven.

I've been RPGing since the 70's. I STARTED on Traveller, and it's still my favorite.

I've reffed a few campaigns in the past, mostly PBM or PBF, situated in Reavers Deep, about the mid to end of the Rebellion period. Eris was one of my players.

Just happy to be PLAYING again rather than reffing.
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by ffilz »

Looks like I too can now post here...

I started playing RPGs in 1977 with Holmes Basic D&D. Eventually I found Traveller, but didn't get too serious about an SFRPG until sometime after 1980. My first real Traveller campaign actually started using hacked up Rune Quest rules... After one session, I converted to Traveller, except I kept my ship design system that drew inspiration from Starfire, and ships travelled a number of light years per day on a 2D map. Eventually that campaign worked it's way through various rule systems finally dying under the weight of the Hero System (and me moving to North Carolina).

Over the past few years, I have been revisiting Traveller, finally settling on Classic Traveller and have stated a Google Hangouts and Play by Post campaign in the Wine Dark Rift setting I started working on last year. I have also been running a Play by Post OD&D campaign, and running in another one for several/many years.

But here I am ready to be a player and explore another setting...

Outside of gaming, my other big hobbies are model railroading and LEGO (I build model trains, castles, and space ships and moon bases). Professionally I am maintainer of an open source project (the user space NFS server Ganesha) working for Red Hat. My career has been in networking and filesystems software.

p.s. I will roll up a character tomorrow, I hear your current needs suggest a Kaylee or Jayne type character, I'll see where the dice lead me in one of those directions...

Frank Filz
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Tiglath »

Likewise! :)

And Hello to all!

My Traveller experience was a hugely enjoyable and long running Spinward Marches mercenary based campaign set against the background of the Fifth Frontier War. We adopted the AHL/Striker combat system as it meshed better with a campaign with a strong military thread. This serves as my pre-emptive excuse for "rules rust" on the Classic set. ;)

I am a military history fan and this spreads into my enjoyment of wargaming with miniatures through many historic periods. I play my AD&D via PbP on Dragonsfoot and I am delighted to now be playing both my "core" RPGs once more.

I very much look forward to gaming with you all.

Cheers,

Jonathan
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Eris »

ffilz wrote:Looks like I too can now post here...

I started playing RPGs in 1977 with Holmes Basic D&D. Eventually I found Traveller, but didn't get too serious about an SFRPG until sometime after 1980. My first real Traveller campaign actually started using hacked up Rune Quest rules... After one session, I converted to Traveller, except I kept my ship design system that drew inspiration from Starfire, and ships travelled a number of light years per day on a 2D map. Eventually that campaign worked it's way through various rule systems finally dying under the weight of the Hero System (and me moving to North Carolina).

Over the past few years, I have been revisiting Traveller, finally settling on Classic Traveller and have stated a Google Hangouts and Play by Post campaign in the Wine Dark Rift setting I started working on last year. I have also been running a Play by Post OD&D campaign, and running in another one for several/many years.

But here I am ready to be a player and explore another setting...

Outside of gaming, my other big hobbies are model railroading and LEGO (I build model trains, castles, and space ships and moon bases). Professionally I am maintainer of an open source project (the user space NFS server Ganesha) working for Red Hat. My career has been in networking and filesystems software.

p.s. I will roll up a character tomorrow, I hear your current needs suggest a Kaylee or Jayne type character, I'll see where the dice lead me in one of those directions...

Frank Filz
Welcome Frank!

It's great to have you here. The current group is getting ready to board the Earl's Yacht for their trip to Ruie. I'm debating whether you'll join them before or after they get to Ruie...we'll see.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:Likewise! :)

And Hello to all!

My Traveller experience was a hugely enjoyable and long running Spinward Marches mercenary based campaign set against the background of the Fifth Frontier War. We adopted the AHL/Striker combat system as it meshed better with a campaign with a strong military thread. This serves as my pre-emptive excuse for "rules rust" on the Classic set. ;)

I am a military history fan and this spreads into my enjoyment of wargaming with miniatures through many historic periods. I play my AD&D via PbP on Dragonsfoot and I am delighted to now be playing both my "core" RPGs once more.

Cheers,

Jonathan
Welcome aboard Jonathan!

I saw your character concept and like her! I think Sigrun is going to be a fun character.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:
Tiglath wrote:Likewise! :)

And Hello to all!

Cheers,

Jonathan
Welcome aboard Jonathan!

I saw your character concept and like her! I think Sigrun is going to be a fun character.

Eris
Jonathan, what's your concept so I don't land too close with my character?

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Tiglath »

Well, I wound n't want to put her in a niche or anything ...

but Valkyrie Gun Bunny! :)

Actually, that's not entirely fair - Shady Valkyrie Gun Bunny!

Yep, that covers it! ;)

Jonathan

PS I'll PM you the WIP/skeleton character sheet.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Eris »

bluekieran2 has joined our little game. I'm sure he'll be here soon to say hello.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Keven »

Tiglath wrote:Well, I wound n't want to put her in a niche or anything ...

but Valkyrie Gun Bunny! :)

Actually, that's not entirely fair - Shady Valkyrie Gun Bunny!

Yep, that covers it! ;)

Jonathan

PS I'll PM you the WIP/skeleton character sheet.
I smell Swordie!!!!
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Tiglath »

Keven wrote:I smell Swordie!!!!
Touché!

But a supposedly stoic hearth tending female in a male role ... ?

Keep on sniffin' ;) :)

bluekieran2
Runner
Runner

#19 Post by bluekieran2 »

Hey folks, I'm Kieran. I'm a professional computer geek based in London, UK.

I'm relatively new to Traveller, but am running a game (and starting another soon) with friends, using the Mongoose 2e rules. This is my first look at Cepheus, though I'd heard of it.
Into The Marches: Joe Whistler, 7B9378, 30, Army Captain, (3 terms).
Rifle-2, SMG-2, Vacc Suit-1, Brawling-1, Gunnery-1, Mechanic-1, Recon-1.
10,000 cr, SMG.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Tiglath »

Welcome aboard! I look forward to gaming with you.

I'm a few miles up country in the "frozen" North East. I'm something of an old Traveller hand and am delighted to be playing again. I found a couple of useful links while putting my character together - including this very nice map.
https://travellermap.com/
If you drag the "Spinward Marches" to the centre you'll find our current campaign location (Regina on route to Ruie) between the "r" and the "d" of the word Spinward as you zoom in.
Thie link below covers the recent war in this area which ended a year ago.
http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Fourth_Frontier_War

Cheers,

Jonathan

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”