Group discussions, planning and strategies.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Group discussions, planning and strategies.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

Use this forum please for discussing what your character does next or suggests, inter party questions so that we can leave the active forum for actual character actions and verbals. Once written there it will be taken as done and said.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Group discussions, planning and strategies.

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard has no ability to create a snake illusion. (unless you know something that I don't) :D

He currently holds Sleep, MM, and US.

I was thinking that we could try the US spell to see if twisting and shaking the dead bodies worked at all but I am definitely open to any other suggestions.

If you have an idea on how to make the US look like a snake to them, I'm all ears. :D
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Fri May 05, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by onlyme »

I'm somewhat confused by where we all are in relation to each other. Can someone help?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Some of us are in the manse and a small party went to the native village as far as I recall.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

There is a picture of Monte Verde in the 'About the Carib' forum to give you a little visual. A line of undulating hills run across the spine of the island from west to east, with the highpoint being on the west where the mission station is built.

Siggard, Rexlin, Holden and pirate Van de Poel travelled across the hills for about eight miles to get to the outskirts of the main native village which is in a valley between the last two hills. Their mission is to redeem the two stolen statues of the Two Saints, each blessed with a ward or portent to keep the settlers safe. Also in the village is Sister Adelaide who ministered alongside the padre in native outreach and the belief is she is kept prisoner somewhere. The native chief is Pachucapatl who is rallying warriors to assault the mission.

At the mission station are the other people. The mission is built in a tiled square plaza with buildings in each corner, a small wall connects the buildings apart from the south where access is by a few short steps. The plaza stands in a clearing of rutted barren land and is surrounded by forest and terraced farms on all sides. The chapel dominates the plaza and has a belfry built with a bell to call the faithful to prayer. Geoffrey is currently running across the gable of the chapel roof, clearing it of native archers and trying to rescue Pascale the pirate Halfling from dropping the short distance to the ground below. Inside the chapel several teenage boys armed with sharpened farm implements fend of native warriors trying to break through the three glazed broken windows. The front door is held stout and possibly also sealed with some divine aid. Two nuns, Sister Cecilia and Sister Beatrix shield some women settlers and younger children behind a row of broken pews, their singing resonates a Bless spell to the defenders of the chapel.

Elijah has abandoned his post by the front door and gone to seek the padre, believing that the so called 'pox' is actually a form of lycanthropy and that the padre has hidden the truth of the affliction away from the party. He has discovered that the baptistery is full of Holy Water and that the padre worked with native shamans to produce the vast amount so that its' restorative effects may be used on those suffering from 'the pox'. He is outside in the plaza trying to stop the melee and speak with the natives to discover from them as to why they are truthfully attacking the settlers. The grain sack reinforced wall is manned by the settler menfolk and Captain Lazarus, pirates' Grimwald and Goldie. Pocc is also engaged in melee but protectively at the door of the Sisters manse. Some families of settlers also shelter in the trading store. The last building is the infirmary where community health projects were carried out and also the making of the anti-poison potions produced from the snakes milked of their venom. The building has been ransacked and is boarded off as all the captured snakes used in the production of potions are now free to roam.

Inside the manse bedrooms several settler families shelter, mostly sick children and was the Manse was the place where man injured in the first volley of arrows was taken. The man Logan has since been grappled by the natives attacking the manse through the kitchen windows and dragged him outside where he now, in 'beastman' form is engaged in melee. His wife Lucille is in the kitchen boarding the windows up. Padre Claude du Lautrere is in the attic of the manse with Iggway. Inside the attic are some fevered children, one of whom Erik, is manacled to a bedframe. In his fever he is begining to 'morph' into a lupine form. The two clerics hope to cure him of the lycanthropy by exorcising the blood curse from him through the use of a Remove Curse spell following a ritual which was successfully used during the exorcism of his sister Erika.

Outside the plaza, Zoggrot hides in some rutted ground having fallen off the infirmary roof. He managed to slay a native shaman and a warrior and then hide away successfully. Now he is watching the turn of events with the man Logan shape changing into a wolf.

I think that brings us up to date with the action so far...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc overhead a conversation that would reveal the lycanthropy though he should have figured that out when his healing spell failed to heal the injured man the Padre was working on in the infirmary. Though alas the player wasn't quick to come to that conclusion until after eavesdropping through the infirmary door, overhearing a conversation between the injured man and the padre.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden's spells mostly deal with one person, how about we start by sneaking around, searching hut by hut and if things go dicy we go for the distraction of US or just run?
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Bluehorse »

thesniperknight1 wrote:Holden's spells mostly deal with one person, how about we start by sneaking around, searching hut by hut and if things go dicy we go for the distraction of US or just run?
Works for me. We can stick to inside the treeline and go around back before working our way up. Less likely to expect us from that dorection and we will always be working in the direction of our escape.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That works for me, too.

I think I will still have Sig hide in the bushes near the bodies while the rest of you search. That way if things do go bad, maybe he can then use his spells as a diversion.

Remember that we cant leave without the nun and the statues, so running away might not be the best solution.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by thesniperknight1 »

I think we got ourselves a plan, here goes nothing
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

I can never keep track of all the goings on when we're in town and have eleventy dozen different group threads all in the same post. Zoggrot is interested in the plot hook with the ghost ship, but it might be better to try it with a decent sized group.

If we do stay on different missions for a while, can we give each group its own thread?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

Yes, Zhym I acknowledge the issue.

Presently, you are all on differing 'shopping trips' at the moment to gather goodies and rumours. I plan to bring you all into one group decision based on what you find out as you explore the Freeport for the first day. Mostly likely an exploration of the Guineaman ship.
A separate thread will be up for the chosen adventure/s.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

Over here for OOC party discussion and strategies.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I like HG's suggestion about speaking with the dead chief for the answers we seek.

I think speaking with the remains of De La Vega would likely end up adding more lies and confusion than clarity.

I didn't see anything answered about the tooth with the ruin on it yet, so I'm still not sure if that was a clue or a distraction.

The "black devil" that Clod mentioned concerns me. If that is what remains below, we might be in over our heads unless we get some more answers first.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

can a soul lie with Speak With Dead?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

What do you think "black devil" means? I assume it doesn't mean a literal devil.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

shaidar wrote:can a soul lie with Speak With Dead?
I'm not sure about actually lying, but I think it might be safe to assume that an evil or cursed soul may try to trick or confuse its questioner.
Zhym wrote:What do you think "black devil" means? I assume it doesn't mean a literal devil.
I wouldn't think we would face an actual devil at our levels, no. But if it can be summoned to place a curse on a boatload of slavers, whatever it is, it must be fairly powerful.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Zhym »

I guess that it would be too much to hope that "black devil" is just a figure of speech.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by shaidar »

I think the captain did a deal with the black devil to get them out of the doldrums, I don't think it had anything to do with causing the doldrums in the first place.

Good point about the captain being tricksy with answers. The best bet would be to ask the chief for answers, including putting the souls to rest and lifting the curse.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

About a month ago or so, I suggested to the DM in private that Sig was planning to put the remains of the chief to rest or possibly even bring his remains back to his homeland. HG suggested that she would bury the remains in consecrated ground as well. Both of these ideas were received well, so I hope we are on the right track with that thinking.

I believe that the chief was a powerful druid or something similar. He placed an initial curse on the ship or crew, using his power to stop the winds from blowing and sending the ship into the "doledrums". (control winds or air elementals or something similar)

Once the ship stopped moving and the crew was out of food and water, they started eating the slaves. (I am not sure if they had access to fresh water via spell, but we all know what happens to the mind once you start drinking sea water.

I think the captain called forth a powerful demon or something to help get the ship moving again. The demon called for the souls of the crew to appease its demands, and the captain obliged.

I still cant help but think we are missing something simple hidden in all of this.

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”