Monte Verde

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Monte Verde

#341 Post by Spearmint »

Infirmary raid:

Iggway snatches her precious research notes from the cabinet, kicking the bottom metal drawer shut and decapitating the lone snake still lurking inside. Reeling from the effects of two poisonous bites, the native warrior is able to summon the physical strength and constitution to resist the deadly effects, (two saves vs poison made), aided by the thick fibres of the ad hoc gaiters created by Rexlin. Iggway makes it over the swaying asps and out into the foyer.

The half-orc Zoggrot turns with a grimace on his face. He goes deathly pale and collapses on his knees to the tiled vivarium floor. The snake bite wound already colouring bruised and grey, blood pumping into enlarged varicose veins in his neck. Weakly he fumbles for help, spilling the syringes of Roger's Artful Concoctions onto the floor, their myriad colours becoming a kaleidoscope of hazy swirls in his eyes. A dark portal seems to beckons him and he crawls towards it though cannot feel his hands and feet moving at all, he knocks feebly but it remains steadfastly shut. Zoggrot's last thoughts as he passes out are of him being cheated of his place in heaven.

(Zoggrot crawls as a last action to the foot of the door on the western side below the double door. This leads into the bottom office room.)

Elijah trident and net [1d20] = 10 [2d4] = 6 [1d20] = 2
Asps, Eli, Geo, Pocc [1d20] = 12 [1d20] = 9 [1d20] = 9

The pirates in the foyer continue their attempts to keep the hissing menace at bay, each one lunging wide of the mark. In return the asps strike out at the unguarded flesh of hands and arms but do not successfully hit anyone.

Padre Claude [1d20] = 5 [1d20] = 2[1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3
Claymore melee [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20 damage [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4
asps Padre, capt, [1d20] = 20 [1d20] = 18 [1d20] = 17 [1d20] = 13
poison saves [1d20] = 17 [1d20] = 14 [1d20] = 13

Padre Claude tries again the old 'one-two' but gets it all 'sixes and sevens' with his quarterstaff. twice again he is bit, once critically so but divine favour enable the Padre to withstand the venom. The captain slashes one snake dead and then bites the one he holds in two, spitting its head into a bloody clump on the table.

"Drag brute Grimguts' away Mr Blood, there may be time to slice his veins and suck the poison out of him. Any volunteers, it looks like a the asp wounded in his groin!" Captain Lazarus says to the men.

Padre Claude fumbles into a pocket of his habit, pulling out some skeleton keys and opens the door by Zoggrot."Quickly bleed him if you wish him to live, I need time to open the safe vault below my desk to get an anti-venom potion out."

Elijah
looks at the floor with a shake of his head,"This one was not of the faith captain, must be divine judgement I say. Poseidon's wrath on his sinful nature. perhaps if he had made a sacrificial offering like yer marine fellow..." he says, reluctant to give the necessary mouth-to-skin suction on the orc.

Actions please Iggway, Pocc and Geoff.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#342 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc will help the captain as best he can "Captain sir I think we had best leave this place sir." if any snakes other than the one on his shoulders tries to attack the sea druid will try and slice it's head off. Scimitar [1d20] = 15 to hit, [1d8] = 8 dmg
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey obediently rushes to Zoggrot and drags him out the door, slicing at any critter who gets in his way. (though ineffectively, of course)
Long Sword [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9 ; damage [1d8+1] = 4+1 = 5 sm/md ; [1d12+1] = 8+1 = 9 Lg
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by Spearmint »

Infirmary Raid:

Iggway reluctantly says to Captain Lazarus and Padre Claude,"We need to leave the island, I don't know what more we can do...Pachucaptl will not stop until everyone is dead!!" she says, stressing the imperative to move on. The angry asps, swaying ominously, strike out final retorts and once more dodging the thrown entangling net of Elijah, slither to freedom and away from the blades of near death. (I would write blades of death but you hit five snakes out of 25 attacks vs AC 7... :oops: )

Pocc voices his agreement, "Captain sir I think we had best leave this place sir." What Zoggrot the half-orc would voice none can tell, he just lies limp at the office door, frozen in a paralysing spasm. Geoffrey's Breton long sword and the druid's scimitar chop a path to the fallen comrade and they both drag his heavy body out of the vivarium room, following the padre into the safer confines of the clerics office. It is dark inside though a huge crack of light spills in from the foyer door standing ajar. Still none of the trio of clerics or 'Bullseye Blood' offer to slice and dice into Zoggrot's veins and suck the asp poison out of him. What a time to not know who your friends are!

As the druid lets go of the leg of the orc he feels another thick limb begin to quickly curl itself around him. Almost as if the orc himself had stood and given him a thankful bear hug for saving his life, squeezing the very breath out of him. Elijah opening the door sheds light on the matter as the large reticulated python coils in a surprise move around the skinny yet tasty body of the druid. Pinned by his arms and gasping for breath, Pocc can do nothing, not even shriek for terror as the python opens a mouth wide enough to take his head whole. the other characters are transfixed by the horror before them. They look actually mesmerised. Pocc get squeezed tighter until he turns blue in the face, then a purple, then he is about to burst splat with eyes popping out.

Two other characters are in the room though, two small, bobbing and heading and until now silent. Roger and Gaston reappear. No, not the twice dead wights but the Ettin snake whose twin heads are so named after the laboratory aides. Their heads bob and weave in theatrical patterns, hypnotising those in the room and causing an almost 'freeze frame' scene as both python and players stand in awe. The python relaxes and at last Pocc catches his breath."Better if we keep dancing,"says Gaston."I quite agree. I say my friend are you alright?"enquires Roger still bobbing his reptilian head. Pocc is able to step out side the coils of the drooping python.

The office room of Padre Claude is a basic affair. A large ornate desk made of local wood and a couple of knocked over rattan high chairs furnish the room. A large woven carpet covers the wooden floor, picture frames and tribal ornaments feature in corners with dried bunches of flowers and an old cassock. A side cupboard opens to reveal mop, bucket and several pairs of rubber gloves. The boarded window to the plaza cuts out the moonlight. The place light by the glare of the light spell cast previously.

Iggway and Captain Lazarus are in the corridors or room which heavens be praised, are finally free of all dangerous serpents. The last one being the now hypnotism python. the ettin snake cast a 'Hypnotic pattern' spell which providing they keep up, with all the folk failing saving throws, everyone just stands and gawps open mouthed.

Finally the Captain turns and speaks, "I agree, but first we get what we came for,"he says answering the concerns of the two spoken earlier. Padre Claude holds a set of keys to his vault, though I told Iggway she had not seen where it was privately, it takes little imagination to move a desk and roll back a carpet. A loose tile lifting to reveal a locked metal trapdoor. After much fingering the captain finds a fitting key and turns the lock, lifting the trapdoor. Below is a small lead lined cooled vault. Captain Lazarus lowers himself down the thin rungs of a ladder and stands in the six foot square chamber. Several crates of glass vials are stacked on shelving, their boxes stamped with an inked Port Royale seal and Breton crown above three lions flag. "Sister Iggway, please come help me with these. Master Vorche, can you not speak with the beast and get him to slide away?"

Actions and verbals for Iggway and Pocc please, sorry Zoggrot is still out of it poisoned and Geoffrey failed the save vs spells so stands mesmerised by the dancing ettin snake.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by onlyme »

GEoffrey stands there, awed and fearful at the same time. The danger around him forgotten at the moment.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

GreyWolfVT

#346 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc being thankful of his new serpent friend "My thanks Roger and Gaston. I yet owe you my life." the druid then uses his speak to animals to try and convince the python to leave the room and not harm anyone. "Python there are some tasty meals back a room or two and far less fight in them than us here. I do not wish to kill you but if you leave me no choice I will have to do just that. Please leave the room go back to the room behind us and there are some dead asps and other creatures that might taste better to you." hopefully the python will leave and Pocc will take the key from the Padre open the safe and take out the items within it then return the key to the Padre's hands. Then speaking to Roger and Gaston if the python leaves asking them to end their spell. "Roger, Gaston please if you will release my friends here so that we might leave the room that would be most welcomed of you if the python acts against me feel free to do what you will to help me kill the python."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Spearmint »

Iggway is surprised that the Padre never mentioned all these potions were here. "Padre are you offering some of these healing potions to us? It would be wonderful if we could take a sampling of each?" I wish to also take some snakes to milk to prepare my own anti-venom. She waits for Padre's response and looks to the Captain for his thoughts on the matter.
Conclusion of Infirmary Raid:

Amid the small vault beneath the floor under the padres desk, Captain Lazarus and shaman Iggway take stock. The cooler environment more ideal for the long term storing of the potions concocted in the laboratory. On metal shelving are the last orders made prior to the native unrest. Three crates of anti-venoms, sealed and laid into straw beds of crates sealed with a Breton Crown over Lions sigil. Familiar with Port Royal, the Captain leers at the trove, some measure of justice for his incarceration in the town gaol. The potions will fetch a pretty doubloon or two, sold to another hospice. As well as 'cure poisons' are several bottles of refined healing syrups and some smaller thick glass vials of concentrated varieties. Passing those to Iggway,"See that each of you pocket one of these, rewards for braving such a deadly place."(Iggway, Pocc, Geoff, Eli, Zoggrot all take 1 x Potion of Extra-healing)

Pocc speaks his thanks to the twin headed ettin snake, awed by a revelation of their extra-ordinary abilities. With calm assurance he speaks peace to the python who uncoils loosely and slithers away out of the infirmary to nest in the forest. The mesmerisation and hypnotic dance finished, Padre and Geoffrey also come to.

Zoggrot is carefully carried over to the chapel. He is purple lipped, body in tense spasm and hardly breathing at all. One of the Sisters, Beatrix intones a 'slow poison' spell over his prone body, lying him upon the table altar. It is enough, barely to bring him round and with minutes to spare she reverses the erosion of nerves and muscles around his vitals and renewed oxygenated blood starts to course around the venom infused veins. The other nun does what his pirate comrades ignored and she sucks the final bitter mouthfuls of asp venom out of his leg using a filter of muslin fabric. Zoggrot groggily wakes. As the party rest for the rest of the night Padre and Lazarus are heard debating in the office, discussing heatedly the settlement of the Lycan infected children, the padre being 'economical' with the truth and the 'economics' of settling 'pox' infected families under the 'blind eye' of other authorities. And so after fending off a native assault on the mission plaza and raiding the infirmary, cleansing it of the presence of foul wights and loose snakes, our heroes recover a few hours rest in the chapel.

Towards dawn the chapel bell tolls. Grimwald and Pascale from the belfry spot movement running from the treeline. Four men carry a cane ladder, stretcher bearing the last Icon of the Two Saints from the clutches and fiery forges of Pachucapatl.

Siggard, Rexlin and Holden stumble back to the mission, happy to find they have not been left behind. (probably so in Rexlins' case as he triggered every trap so far..),

Rexlin salutes the captain, happy to report he brought everyone back alive save for Sister Adelaide. Siggard summaries the trip in more detail and expresses his revelations. Holden thanks the tradesman at the store for the hint and the sprig of what he now recognises as belladonna. He helps himself to a breakfast flagon of ale.

Despite the conviction that the natives intend a massacre, Padre Claude refuses to leave the island, stating this is his life's vocation and he will not be moved. with the return of the surviving Icon, the Sisters begin a morning devotional and reinstate the statue in the alcove above the altar. The old settler families convene a meeting, determined to stay and weather the coming tribal storm. They are convinced that if the infected shipwrecked lycans are taken off the island then Pachucapatl and his braves will relent from any massacre. Once the were-children are away, what will they need to fear? The settlers holding out to keep their livelihoods and a belief that a truce, however uneasy may be established.

Captain Lazarus
is not convinced by their argument, but eager to return to the ship he gathers his men and those settlers who wish to depart.

last actions and verbals before I narrate the journey back to the sloop and then I will award relevant xp earned. Anything folk want to say or do, last chance before you hike out....

GreyWolfVT

#348 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc talks to the Padre before the company of pirates departs back to the ship "I am sorry that we were unable to help you Padre I had hopped that more of us holy men working together would have been enough to help cure your people of their affliction. Though it pains me to hear that you refuse to leave I leave knowing you are doing what you believe is necessary and right for your people. What of the small camp of women we passed on the way in might they be of any assistance to you and your people Padre?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey eventually snaps out of his trance and hikes out with the rest, glad to be leaving the snake filled island.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Spearmint »

Padre Claude du Lautrere answers Pocc.,"Thank you for your concern, I wish we had more time to be sure but time and tides wait for no man, least of all in this barren corner we try to civilize. You have my notes on Lycanthrope Lore from my detailed studies and Iggway has the last of the those exorcism scrolls for the removal of the Lycan blight. they take so long to copy and we had to sell the anti-venoms to procure the precious inks needed to scribe such forlorn hopes for the settler children. I fear if young Erik manifested and bit the old crone at the tribal menstrual camp then she too may be infected. Alas, the moon rises in full tonight...perhaps the Captain may offer a 'solution' to save the young girls from any terror more bloody than a monthly cycle?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

Makes himself as presentable as he can, muddy and bloody, but he takes the time to clean and make his arms ready, tightening his buckles. Still, everyone can see that one a scale of 1 to 17, he is definitely a 1. Even the veteran marine is wondering if this might be his last fight bearing down on him. He turns a cold eye to the sea and silently hopes his recently proclaimed god will accept him should things turn south, even as he coughs and is surprised when he wipes a trickle of blood from his mouth. He begins to wonder if she should have stayed with the raiding party instead. Maybe he would have been captain of a war canoe. Maybe he would be in San Juan right now, drinking his fill of drinks and wenches. Looking at the sea again, he hopes Posieden keeps a good store of both for his faithful. If heaven ain't a lot like a brothel, he doesn't wanna go.

"BLOOD!" he calls out harshly. When the young man walks up, the old man eyes his hard. "Damn it boy, you've looked better. You've looked worse too, I suppose. If this goes to shit, you can have my pistol and horn. See to it that half daft doorknob Holden gets Grace. And I suppose Siggard and VDP can have my share of the loot and all in my pack. And Eli. Well, tell him my share from the ship's stash is his for doing as he wish in the name of Poseidon." He pokes a nearby crewman. "Hey! Do you witness this? Right? Good. That makes it legal." He then grabs them both by the shoulder. "But if I do make it and you utter a word of this, I'll string you out by your entrails for shark bait before the Sabbath, got me?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin part II

Aside to Geoffery. "And make sure you get these," he holds up one of his arms, showing the bronze there. "Sell em at port and find a good wench that will let you slap her arse a little and get yourself laid."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#353 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard searches the area and the faces of the folks involved in the most recent ordeal here. He is glad to see that most everyone survived this place. He nods to Eli the shaman woman, always wanting to stay on the good sides of the healers. After his debriefing and explanation of his groups encounters, he takes one last good look around the place.

He moves to the proud Padre last, waiting to give him a little piece of his mind.
"You have quite the nerve sending us on your wild goose chase out there father. But, I suppose that you weren't really expecting us all to make it back here, eh? You can act all pious and proud if you like, but some of us can see through your thin veil. If you think that putting strangers in harms way for your own benefit is a goodly thing to do, then I hope you do get what's coming to you once the chief and his warriors arrive."

"I already mentioned that they are not the native fighting men that you are familiar with, right? That doesn't bother you in the least? Could that be because you already knew all about the evil snake-men cult right here on your own island? And I suppose that doesn't bother you either? Your silly god will protect you from anything, right?"

The usually calm wizard tries very hard not to let his emotions of the last few hours get the best of him. He begins walking away but turns around for one more thrashing.

"Since when is lying, misguiding, and outright deceit considered a goodly and righteous way of life? Your own sister was inflicted? But you tell us nothing about that? The chief is producing snake monsters that he can control with his mind, but you don't think we need to know information like that? You should be grateful of one thing, that you are lucky enough to have survived this long. Especially after the way you treat your guests."

GreyWolfVT

#354 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc simply nods to the Padre's reply to him "I wish you well then Padre." are the druids parting words as he walks off before Siggard approaches the Padre. Pocc goes off to locate the Captain and prepare to head back to the ship. In the mean time the druid feeds another hamster to the two headed snake on his shoulders and converses with them quietly.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Spearmint »

Padre Claude du Lautrere to Captain Lazarus,"It is outrageous Captain that you allow your men to speak so disgracefully. They should know their place before a man of God."

Lazarus replies, "Well Padre, my men braved the forest to bring you your precious icon, the scars they carry earn them the right to speak. Though I too am saddened by Adelaide's loss. She cared for the natives no doubt, it is sad to hear they turned upon her graces."

"As for these allegations, I only know the Orphio' worship has taken root among the natives most recently. Pachucapatl has outside influence and a persuasive sway, yes in the manner of snakes, a sway over his people. I know nothing of these serpent men-creatures you say. We had enough 'trouble' of our own. The Sister afflicted....(shakes head sorrowfully) ...we took as much precautions as we could. Harvesting belladonna in season and even when the first deaths occurred the natives helped us cleanse the sanctuary pool with holy water. Perhaps the trials of exorcism took a hold in us, made us weary through the tribulations of removing the curse from each child..."

"And Francoise and Petitjean, lynched then skinned too. Now the natives also have Logan unless he escapes. His fate may be sealed, but we should not surrender the children so, Captain you must hurry with your men. Godspeed to you."

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#356 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden
Holden hears commotion outside but simply ignores it, he has been craving ale and nothing is gonna stop him. He takes another swig and talks to the tradesman, "Werewolves! Freaking werewolves! A nun nonetheless, he snickers, "I knew joining this crew would pay off, I mean how many do you recon have met a werewolf and gets to tell the tale about it? I would say a very slim number of people", he takes another swig, "I shall learn more about these mystical being, they are fascinating! Have you any knowledge you can bestow upon a tale hungry bard?, he smiles excitingly hoping the Captain doesn't call for them before he learns more.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by Zhym »

Zoggot comes to at the sight of Beatrix sucking on his leg. He considers all the phrasings of thanks one could make for that sort of service and decides that none of them are fit for polite company.

"Werewolves," he says. It is confirmation, not question. "We figured out yet whether they are friends or enemies?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Spearmint »

The trader smiles passively at Holden, the young bard drinking on his ale and leaning on the small bar with a panache of a swashbuckler. The trader thinks, "surely he should have a soda pop and a straw...maybe he is getting old...pirates are looking younger these days."

"It took us a few months to realise the lycan problem had literally washed up from the reef to our shores. None wanted or planned it and it was only through the natives suffering deaths that the 'wild creatures attacking' were eventually traced to the new wave settlers. I think the men folk possessed could control their beast desires but when the children manifested it became a different thing. News of the native deaths spread and Padre sought help from the governors of local colonies but perhaps the Bretons knew of the curse and had formerly chased these settlers in their ship, sinking it off the reef. The padre and sisters did a lot of praying and nursing the sick children. We kept apart hoping for the storm to blow over. Sad to hear the Sister must have got infected in trying to help. Such is the sacrifice one must make in serving others. I hope the belladonna sprig gives you a chance to reject the infection if you catch it, if not you can always rely on a silver razor blade to give a quick death."

The pirates slap Zoggrot on the back as he comes round to an old nun leeching on his wounds. Rather have the bilge leech he thinks remembering the fat slugs recovered days earlier. Asking about the werewolf revelations you find the general view is that the 'pox' affects only the new wave settlers, shipwrecked on the reef some months ago. The menfolk had taken the blood curse virus and over time several of the children, notably the adolescent males had also been infected. The children, in the first years of suffering the virus have little control over when manifestations of lupine form take them unlike their elders who can maintain a form of control though even that is lost during moon phases.

Tonight is a full moon.

You only have women and children departing the island, the lycanthrope infected men, Francoise, Petitjean and now Logan are not at the plaza. The padre insists the children may still be cured of the virus but it needs specialist care, time and attention which they do not have due to the native unrest.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#359 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard grows even more angry at the priests pompous reply to the captain. He calms down a little once he sees that the captain has his crew's back. He nods his head after the talk of carrying scars, still not sure if he believes the words of the padre or not.

"If Francoise and Petitjean were normal sized humans, I think we found them hanging around at the native village as well. Trust me when I say that they also suffered a horrendously painful fate at the hands of the deranged chief. And, much like myself, they wont be coming back to help you again anytime soon either."

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#360 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway feels so betrayed by the Padre, she can barely stand to look at him. Why weren't you honest with me? None of this was going on when I was here! So many of our crew died to help you. If we had known the true infliction, we could have been better prepared. I fear for all of our lives now!! She bows her head and walks away, trying to catch up with Siggard. She wants to hear the whole story.

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”