Monte Verde

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Monte Verde

#321 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden sheathes his weapon immediately and smiles raising his arms to pull attention away from Rexlin, "The ritual is nearly done, the warriors will shortly hatch and the chief will join you once more, do not fear the fire! For it's an omen, we have the blessing to defeat the wretched beasts, have you a rope honored chief's women?", he will try his best to put in words from their original tongue, as much as he understands while scanning with his eyes for a sturdy rope
Last edited by thesniperknight1 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#323 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sig keeps an eye out for which direction the snake slithered off to and avoids that area like the........you know.

He searches the basket, inside and underneath, tapping on the mosaic floor, hoping to find something worthy of risking is life for.

After a good look around the place, he moves back to the curtain to see if the coast is clear to exit the room.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey mentions the dire conditions and the good it would do to make sure the work being studied survives. He takes a few scrolls for safe keeping, hoping to turn them over to more stable colonies for future research.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Spearmint »

Pachucapatl's Cave:

Outside the room, many footsteps and slithery swishes echo down the passage coming from the auditorium. Natives speak in their dialect, your own vocabulary translating enough words to pick out 'the village being burned' and 'the she-creature prisoner gone.'
Siggard has a quick look around the guards cave room. The python hisses at you but warded by the Sanctuary spell it seems content to secrete itself away under a low bunk and wait for a wandering rat or capuchin monkey to spring upon. The room has little of value, the guards have taken all their weapons and left behind only scraps of food. Face is busy chewing through the remaining cherry bunches and annoyingly spitting the pips at the head of the python from a safe distance. The two dancing girls have also gone to fight the fires, leaving behind only a tribal peacock feathered headband and hair braid...and the python. The Unseen Servant stands holding the large decorative urn lid in his unseen hands.

Peeking through the curtain to see if the coast is clear you hear the above previous quote. The throat shot dead guard lies just outside the curtain, through lintel stone framed entrance you can see flicker embers of fiery wooden splinters and hear the cry and scream of people rushing about with ditch boggy pales of water and some old men chanting in unison. To exit the room now would mean escaping in sight of the men running and slithering down the tunnel. yes slithering, a few native warriors glimmering in egg white and awkwardly getting used to their new serpent bodies without legs, who swish sidewinder style in your direction. You note that these men are obviously natives from the waist up and retain their tribe features unlike the envoy who was much more muscularly defined and imposing with reptilian eyes.

Siggard closes the curtain. (What do you wish to do next?)

Meanwhile our dashing duo of Rexlin and Holden try to use a bit of charm and distraction to explain the abruptness of their presence in the middle of the chiefs' harem. Acting as a messenger of the gods he heralds the arrival of the 'hatchlings' and speaks peace over the raging village inferno as shamans try to summon stormy clouds to quell the tongues of fire. Rexlin puts down his burden of Sister Adelaide [/b. Previously her visits to the settlement may have been warmly welcomed but now she is known as an escaped blood cursed Lycan who was set for sacrifice to appease the gods and Naga Queen.

Holden's bard charms fail to win over the less than enthusiastic huddle of pregnant natives and toddlers. They see a wild eyed mud stained maniac and a swashbuckling brigand. The harem girls scream and run to their huts, grabbing youngsters by the arm and frantically waving for help wondering if you have come to pillage and plunder. In the minutes they run off you have time to take your bearings and assess a route of escape. Three sides of the chief's quarters are bounded by the wooden stockade. The logs rising above man height like short thick sharpened pencils, they shield the area from loose rock falls for the forested hillside rises steeply above. The open view overlooking the village is from a vantage point 60'ft above, the sheer shingle loose rock cleft intermingled with occasional creeper vines and rooted outgrowths of clumpy shrubs. Standing a few feet away from the bottom of the drop is a small orchard of blossoming Carob trees, if you fancied a 'Leap of Faith' about 30'ft below you.

Up from the wooden steps behind comes the sound of creaking wood and pottery being broken. Arising from the top of the steps are several native warriors. They are sleek and wet, covered in a viscous fluid. From the waist down, patterned scaly flesh adorns them as morphed snake-men. Still getting used to slithering rather than walking, the warriors wobble clumsily and eye the sister warily as if expecting her to transform into the wolf creature she is reputed to be. They brace themselves with spears and form a defensive wall against you taking an exit down the steps.. Behind them comes another figure and the men part and bow informally as he steps forward. Wearing his ritual costume over a oily scale jerkin Pachucapatl raises his war club in a sign of peace."Sister you cannot flee, your friends have no where to run. Come let us end this peaceably." The sister knows and the guys should also expect no peace or quarter will be actually be given. Yet the chief fears the sister meta-morphing and rampaging through his harem and children so waits expectantly as rain begins to fall.

"I will come down as your captive then, may my blood pacify your wrath. Let these men return to the Mission unhindered for in truth I know them not." she shuffles to the pair who cock weapons ready for an onslaught. "I will go down, my time here has ended. Grace ties these chains to keep me from hurting those I love. Do this favour for me for I am bound by faith not to harm myself." Sister Adelaide clutches at Holden and puts the silver razor blade into his hands and looks deeply into his eyes to implore the young bard to slash her wrists so she may bleed out and die rather than turn into a lupine and be sacrificed. "Do it quick, and deep, the silver is a gift from God to ease my passing." Then she tells you,"Now Jump!".

next actions please

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Spearmint »

Infirmary Raid:

Sister Iggway searches in vain for the keys to the locked cabinet. Her research notes and formulae are inside and she asks politely for the 1/2 orc to trigger the lock rather than resort to brute force. Ever the gentleman, Zoggrot thumbs through his lock picks and rustles up a set of skeleton keys. His flexible fingers twist the well made lock (noticing it is cast from by some fabled trickster Acererack) There is no trap on the simply set of drawers though his 'spider sense' makes the hairs rise suspiciously on the heckles of his bone-vest. Just as well, the half-orc leaps out of the way as several slithery figures spring fanged tooth in anger from their secreted closet...
she'll have Zoggrot pick it. Please try drawer 3 first.
Zoggrot pick locks [1d100] = 30
Acereracks drawer [1d3] = 3
Zoggrot Bone-mask enhanced sense vs int [4d6] = 12

A dozen highly venomous asps, exit the drawer having nested there since the infirmary was broken by the natives. Hungry and angry they spring in every direction.

The padre clambers onto one of the desks, knocking ink pots and papers onto the floor. "These were the most prized serpents for milking antidotes from because their poison is instantly fatal,"he warns. Even the pacified snakes under the charm of Iggway quickly scoot away from these scaly portents of doom.

Elijah and Geoffrey come into the vivarium clutching several rolled up charts and a pouch stuffed with looted medical equipment. They are warned but thankfully unlike cobra's these do not spit venom.

Druid Pocc, converses with the twin-headed snakes and decides to assist it's desire to 'travel and see the world', letting the snake curl up around his collar after feeding it some almost uncatchable hamsters from their spinning play wheel.

next actions to finally cleanse the place please.

[img]
Acereracks Drawer Asps.gif
Acereracks Drawer Asps.gif (31.2 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
[/img]

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#327 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc "I'd say we best just leave these deadlier snakes be and exit the place, what say you captain?" the sea druid states openly his opinion and asks the captain for his input while backing out of the room. "I think I've tried my luck enough for one day with the venomous snakes within this place."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#329 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden

Holden just stares disappointed at the sister, "You vowed not to hurt yourself so you ask someone else to do so? I am no religious person but even I don't think playing around in semantic to create your own idea of righteous will slide, presuming god's will as well? Ah sister, I thought you were much more", he pockets the razor.

He looks at the chief with a sly smile preparing for an inspiration speech, "You honor us, I have met many chiefs before but none had the aura and snaky presence you emit, BUT! you see we are men of chance, we stand before you here cause we took a million one in a million and here we are, surrounded by fire, lightning, blades, fangs and embracing a werewolf. Going with you now would be a gamble but I have my bets set already", he holds on to the sister and looks to Rexlin, "A spell? We don't need that, we have a sister here, surely a god wouldn't let their servants die right?", he laughs out loud running and jumping towards the tree.

As he jumps he will make the sister face the ground hoping her invincible body would cushion his fall if the tree doesn't.

Mid-air he will try to mimic the sound of a wolf.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

Admiring the boys gusto, Rexlin leaps after wishing Siggard the best. "AIM FOR THE TREE!" He silently prays to Poseidon for some good luck... hopeing his life doesn't hang on chance like some celestial dice roll... "LEROOOOOOY JENKIIIIINNS!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Spearmint »

Pachuacpatls Cave:

Holden
reacts after being placed in such an awful position, being asked to slash the wrists of Sister Adelaide so that she may bleed out rather than be sacrificially skinned alive. The bard results to a mock taunt of the Sisters' 'Last Request' and instead chooses to inspire awe and wonder in his comrade Rexlin and 'new best friend' Pachucapatl. Deciding to use the nun to cushion his fall he leaps of the cliff, bounding into the air like the proverbial salmon. One arm pulls clinging to the wrists of the restrained nun. This is no play scene from 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'. Sister Adelaide shuffles in her torn habit as a penguin shuffles across the ice floe, then tragically tumbling head first in sepia black and white against the stormy summoned clouds. If one has ever dived into a swimming pool that has no water.... (what is black and white and red all over?....half a nun!). The sister lands with a leaden thud, breaking bones and splattering over the rock strewn floor. Fitfully she moves a weak arm but her legs and back are twisted into shapes resembling Carob tree branches. Sprays of lycanthrope contaminated blood covers her body, its immunity working overtime to regenerate her crippled bones. The bard has fared better, gracefully landing in the Carob tree as he does a 'Bob Beamon' and crashes through the spreading branches to land arse first in the sandy ground by the tree roots.

Holden jump [4d6] = 10 [4d6] = 17
Sister Adelaide [5d6] = 13

Inspired by such a dramatic performance though with one eye on the unfortunate sister, Rexlin lugs his frame and sack of stolen goodies off the cliff face with a salute to the native chief and the memory of Siggard, in a prodigious leap reminiscent of a beaching whale ... the ransacked loot drops with a clatter, hard mud coated arms flail and legs splay leg like a apart like a well paid whore...his finger tips clutch the air and he thinks to himself, "oh if I was only an extra inch bigger" as fingertips stroke gently the thick leafage. The branches almost within grasp he fails through the thinning bloom of Carob nuts and blossom, crashing onto the ground. A nest of gull eggs adding to his failings by dropping to crack open and baptising his bald skull with a covering of extra double yolks. Injured but without breaks, he gathers his wits and stolen candlesticks and runs off limping, battered and bruised, but importantly whole, to join Holden.

Rexlin jump [4d6] = 14 [4d6] = 15
tree fall [3d6] = 8 (Rexlin -8hp please)

Pachucapatl is incensed that the men dared to leave and in a fit of rage, sends his warriors over the edge to chase them. The snake men do not hesitate and unwaveringly launch themselves off the edge to follow the pair into the void, hoping to land on the mattress stuffing of the Carob orchard. They make it as far as the sister and crash with splats and painful cries, landing in a tangle of arms, spears and serpent tails.

Inside the guard cave, Siggard hears the approach of more men and morphed snake warriors. He hides inside the large reed basket and instructs his Unseen aide to remain Unseen. The warriors poke their faces behind the drawn curtain and see no one, except the python which hisses warningly from under a bunk. The warriors exit the cave to fight the fires in the wooden huts and attack those responsible.

Siggard creeps slowly out of the basket, stepping with elven feet towards the cave entrance. The passage behind you is empty and the way forward is clear. Off to the left Batman, Robin and the Penguin jump from the chiefs grove above into the small Carob orchard. Two recognisable figures rise from the tree roots and run in the direction of the village forge. At the foot of the cliff is a large gathering of snake-man, native warriors and tribal families. Some are injured (by the fall) some are burned (by the flames). Several huts off to that side of the village have burned to cinders, large flames reaching to the tree tops. Village elders rain dance in ritualistic fashion calling upon the favour of their deity. Heavy sploshes about your feet which pit the ground in small puddles show the gods have answered. Above in his harem grove the figure of Pachucapatl, resplendent in ornate feathers and scale armour orders the warriors about with gestures from his carved club.

Sister-less, the trio run under the communal huts, keeping to dark shadowy areas of the village compound. You can make it to the forge and using a wooden step ladder as a stretcher lay the single statue of the remaining Two Saints figure to carry away.

At the main gates Van de Poel, bleeding from two arrows stuck in his legs swings the totem he has grasped like a baseball bat. He strikes out Van de Poel [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2 damage [2d6+1] = 9+1 = 10, sufficient to hit the standing totem with his last giant strength enhanced blow. It topples over and squashes the last of the forge warriors. Reunited but with hardly time to breathe the Fab Four run through the gates, closely followed by a mass of angry natives. They can run much quicker and more nimble than you, like a harassed gazelle pushed to limits by a pack of hyena's, your strength is about to give out. Tired, bleeding and battered it looks a hopeless situation. Salvation though is at hand, or rather at your feet. The icon of the saint radiates a ward against the venomous creatures and on the edge of the forest a large circle of grass appears as you move through the undergrowth, serpents fleeing from the divine aura but quickly forming in behind. The nocturnal snakes, so dangerous actually becoming the shield to distance the group from the wrathful tribe.

Siggard, Rexlin, Holden and Van de Poel take it in turns to carry the stretcher and cover the miles back across the ridge tops to the mission station and the waiting padre and Captain.

With the ward, no snake encounters on the way back save a curious encounter with four warriors who carry a large pole across their shoulders, hurrying down the path as you go up. Slung underneath the pole in a net is the hairy figure of a clubbed and bound Logan. The two groups stop and stare at each other then with polite 'excuse me' carry on with their tasks.

You will make it to the mission by dawn. Any last actions of verbals. I will run some xp summary of this side adventure for you though you only gain that when you are back on the sloop or if safe waters.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

As they come into the village, the grizzled veteran Marine makes his way over to the captain. He has looked better. Breathing heavily he sets the snake idol down and takes a few deep breaths. Holding a finger up as he sucks air a moment. "Rexiin, Holden, and Siggard, reporting, sir." He tries to speak but then has to catch his breath again. "Natives, likely on their way... really mad.... Sister is dead..." Points to Siggard. "Lifesaver... Couldn't have done it without him. Van de Pol, fought off so many warriors. Holden held his own too. Good Lad," as if remembering something he reaches over and grabs Grace, looking her over with a scowl and looking at the young man as if to say, Good enough, lucky you. "Whoo... I need a bath... a new shirt.
and to get off this damn island!"

Rexlin makes sure all this firepower is ready in case another fight is eminent.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey hears the warning of islanders coming again toward them. He awaits the captain's orders.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#334 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard Hagslayer seeks out the captain as soon as his group returns to the mission. He can only hope that the Padre is also within earshot.

"Captain, SIR! Things here are not at all as they seem, sir! Rexlin is correct. We may have a large group of Pachuacpatl's warriors right on our heels. They are not your normal garden variety warriors either......unless you are thinking of garden SNAKES!!! There is something very unnatural going on there at the native village. The chief is involved with monstrous beasts, half man and half serpent. We killed one of the snakemen envoys, a pretty terrible foe to be sure, but what I saw inside that cave made my skin crawl! The chief is converting his warriors into these snakemen, and there are a LOT of them. I am certain they mean to overrun this settlement......and I fear that there is little we could do to stop his army of mutated monsters. Sir! I think we need to get the people that can still be saved off of this island post haste, sir. I don't think the Padre was completely honest with you either, sir. The sister we tried to save was infected with lycanthropy, as I believe that a lot of these others must also be. We saw evidence of the natives flaying and hanging the skinned bodies of others that I think suffered from the same ailment. I believe they mean to do away with any and every non native on their island if they can, sir!"

The mage looks around at the carnage, making sure his pistols are loaded and ready, and that his monkey Face is still safe after all the recent excitement of racing back to the settlement.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#335 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden will stand there silent and almost hidden not wanting to catch the captain's eyes, he will whisper to Rexlin, "The sister is alive", just to correct him. He will excuse himself as soon as possible to go to the Shopkeeper.

He will smile as usual and point at the gift that shopkeeper gave him, "Hi, I assume I have you to thank for me being alive, can I have a drink?", he will grab a seat and pull out a silver like before, "Do you know of werewolves?", his grin grows, I have never met any before today, such a wonder that scares everyone! I mean, true, it could probably cut my head off in a single swipe but just think about it, quite amazing. Have you met any wereowlves?, he stares with great interest at the shopkeeper.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey is stuck as only a sailor can be. He knows running away is the best option, but it would lead to desertion charges and certain death. He can only hope to defend the group by swatting at snakes as they slither toward them until the captain dies or orders retreat.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Spearmint »

Infirmary Raid: ....if any group was so hopeless

The surprise of the deadly asps set a panic among the group as they begin to swat futilely at the venomous heads. The small black 'rainforest pharaohs' coil and snap menacingly and hiss an almost laughing sound as the pirates flail at them like drunkards on the dance floor.

Elijah trident and net [1d20] = 10 [2d4] = 6 [1d20] = 2
Zoggrot Boarding axe [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5 [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8
Iggway Carved club attack [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9 [1d6] = 6
Geoffrey Longsword melee [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11 [1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3
Padre Claude [1d20] = 10 [1d20] = 7[1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 2
Claymore melee [1d20+3] = 5+3 = 8 damage [1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3

Elijah sees the wriggling figures and pokes with his pronged trident and throws his entangling net to snare the collection of snakes, Zoggrot smashes the double doors in twain, Iggway snatches her precious notes from the second drawer and wafts at one of the menacing snakes, Geoffrey swipes at one near the door not keen to get too involved, the padre tries a one-two with both ends of his staff from the table top and the captain hacks and slashes thin air. It remains to Pocc, to behead a snake as he leaves the vivarium room.

Pocc scimitar [1d20] = 15 [1d8] = 4

The serpents retaliate with three of them focusing fangs on those in the corridor. They show similar offensive skills, attacking at such an inaccurate and slow speed it is no wonder the snakes remain hungry and angry.

Asps, Eli, Geo, Pocc [1d20] = 6 [1d20] = 3 [1d20] = 2

Those inside the vivarium room are not as lucky in their defences though. The padre on the table top can stay out of range but the legs of the others are just too tempting for fanged fury to bite. Iggway is struck twice, the creatures springing at her leg first and then striking on her hands as she snatches away her notes. The shock of the sharp bite causes minimal physical damage(-2hp) but already the burning sensation of poison is coursing through her veins, ( two saves vs poison please), Zoggrot also gets a bite, (-1hp and 1 saving throw please), Lazarus also critical hit by a snake in his neck. He shrugs the beast off with one hand, tearing flesh and blood as it starts to poison him but the Captain remains steadfast and resolute, (as captains should) staring it eye to eye with a growl.
Asps, Igg, Zog [1d20] = 16 [1d20] = 13 [1d20] = 13 [1d20] = 8
asps Padre, capt, [1d20] = 8 [1d20] = 5 [1d20] = 5 [1d20] = 20
Capt saves [1d20] = 18

saves, next actions and attacks please

the other group will not arrive back at the mission until dawn, so I will advance this group to that time line as soon as you conclude here...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#338 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sorry for jumping the gun on my last post. I guess I should have actually read the content before I posted instead of just playing follow the leader. :oops:

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey attempts to drag the captain toward safety after his bite, while slashing at anything that moves toward him.

Long Sword [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11 ; damage [1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3 sm/md ; [1d12+1] = 5+1 = 6 Lg

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by Zhym »

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”