Monte Verde

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Monte Verde

#301 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc if he still has his magical club will try to attack the Wight once a man named Roger.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#302 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway watches in horror as "Roger the Wight" drains the Padre. She holds her wooden holy symbol in her left hand and a bolt of energy leaps from her right toward the creature...Magic Missile

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#303 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden starts to move to stop Siggard's anger, "Now, there is no need to-", but stops thinking that this might cause the sister to feel guilt and come with them. He lets Siggard continues his speech.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by Zhym »

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Spearmint »

Pachucapatls Cave:

The pirate commandos realise their search and rescue mission has taken on an unexpected twist. While they may have thought that the rescue will have been a jaunty trip across the hills though somewhat rougher than a 'walk in the park' but reasonable, now challenges their comprehension of what the island actually suffers from and the fate they are in. The three amigo's debate what to do and approach the release of Sister Adelaide with suggestions of chopping her feet or finding a key or lock picks. The shackles remain in place around her ankles, allowing the sister to make short half strides so she may shuffle along or climb steps one at a time. Her freed hands play extensively with her Holy Symbol.

Sister Adelaide listens to the remarks and answers, "It is true, and horrifyingly so, I have caught the blood curse of Lycanthropy and will suffer mutation as a consequence. Perhaps my faith was low, my devotions lax, so that despite bathing in the hallowed waters I still could not be cleansed of such a virus. It afflicted the dear children so and Padre Claude ministered so faithfully to bring deliverance to them. However the 'beast within' is strong and for some of the children it remained so. One infected another until eventually a chain of victims lead to the curse taking root among the natives. Pachucapatl lost a son, indeed each household has lost someone. So their memorials are carved upon the village totems. It turned them to wrath, away from the godly faith and work of the mission back to tribal savagery. I understand now that the Bretons knew of the bestial natures and chased the settler's boat across the high seas and struck it with a cannonade. We saved the survivors who spoke of a shipwreck on the reef. In ignorance and grace we took them in until the moon began to spawn the were creatures."

The sister shuffles to the door, dragging the chain scraping on the tiled floor. "If we can leave I would do so, though I fear it is too late for me. I would not wish to be sacrificed. Will you help free me kind Sirs? As a last obligation I can summon some divine grace upon you though my prayers will suffer to be heard following this." (Having cast healing spells on Rexlin and Holden, the nun has one spell left which she uses upon Siggard if he is willing, casting a Sanctuary spell.).

With scant minutes to pause much beyond thoughts to escape from the cave, the group cautiously open the wooden door. Pulling the curtain back you can see further up the passage way flickering lights. The drumming has stopped but men are crying joyfully with shouts of glee about something. The open passage on the right with stairs ascending is still silent. At the cave entrance, the body of the guard shot by Van de Poel remains prone on the floor. The curtain to the first room is thrown back, the room looks and sounds empty. A smell like a bonfire and wispy burning embers float across the entrance.

(actions please)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Spearmint »

Infirmary Raid:

Pocc the druid, recoils from the mortal touch of the large wight. It engages with the captain and half-orc who eventually slay the beast. The creature so foully summoned to wreak havoc in the Infirmary by the natives decays rapidly on the floor, his bones bursting through flayed skin and sloughing his muscular frame in rotten worm infested heaps. Hearing a continued cry for help, the trio advance to the health clinic where the wight of Roger assails Padre Claude.

Pocc druid Shillagh club [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11 damage [2d4] = 5 with bonus for attacking from the rear both the druid and Zoggrot (double damage) slay the creature as it is shocked into releasing the unfortunate padre from its strangled grasp by the arcane arrows of Iggway.

The body drops dead and the room goes silent save for the hiss of fleeing serpents out of the broken windows. The padre searches a desk, scattering papers until he locates a volume of study notes. Contained therein a spell to release Geoffrey from the darkness and irritation of the cobra venom. Cure Blindness cast.

With the health room and foyer secure and free of the snakes swaying under padres control, the group may advance in the search for the anti-venom potions and Iggway's study notes. The other rooms are still infested but thankfully free of energy draining wights.

Actions please, the whole party is in the top right room, described previously. You can search here or enter the vivarium room following the padre and Captain

Standing by the vivarium room double doors in the foyer corridor you see the following: The wight lies decayed and wizened at your feet, its' baleful red eyes sparkle no more and its' large gnasher teeth fixed in a grimace of pain.

Vivarium room: is a 60'ft square room, entered through some double doors in the centre of the west wall. Also on the west wall and below the main doors is a smaller door which gives access to the Padres' office. There are some broken windows in the north wall, giving a view of the open ground and forest beyond. On the south wall there are two windows, both broken also but they have been boarded up from the outside in the plaza. Between them stands a small fireplace and chimney stack. It was one of these windows Pocc looked through before a snake sniped at his fingers.

There are three large tables in the room set in a corner each and a desk and filing cabinet in the NW corner of the room. Several rattan chairs lie on the floor. The east wall of the room is lined with several rows of shelving. On the shelves are the remains of glass vivarium tanks in which were kept the venomous snakes. Some have been tipped over or smashed completely, others on higher shelves remain intact. On top of the tables are various medical or experimental items of equipment such as vials, flasks, dishes and grinding stones. Between the table legs and across the desks slither numerous colourful serpents, a myriad of patterns and types, each one hissing and snapping as it seeks a portion of the room territory to claim for its' own. You can identify some as large bird catching mamba's, a mottled banana coloured brown flecked snake coiled around a lampstand, a trio of green pythons which have wrapped themselves around the curtain rails to the north windows, a 'glass' snake very opaque and almost see through lurks in an open topped tank, the remains of a digested rat can be seen flowing through its intestines, rainbow fruit snakes and a scaly diamondback with lizard frills have bitten each others tails and begun to see who can swallow who first becoming a giant tyre shape slowly diminishing in circumference on the floor. Pocc hears a slow tap, tap, tap coming from a small bicephalic twin-headed serpent which sticks both forked tongues out when you arrive at the door and stands up raised on its single tail to nudge the sealed lid of its tank bobbing and weaving in excited fashion.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey waits as patiently as he can in the circumstances for the cure to work.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

Has heard enough. "Sorry sister, but those chains look good all of a sudden. Thanks for your help but I am not too keen on the idea of bringing a werewolf with us." He looks to the others. "We have to get out of here and get that idol and Van back.
We've been here too long already."

GreyWolfVT

#309 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc follows the Padre and Captain "What is that strange two headed snake?" the sea druid asks finding it quite the interesting creature. "I know it not the place to ask but is it friendly or is that part of it's hunting tactics act like it is happy to see you then strike?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#310 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard agrees that it is time to go.

"We came here to rescue the sister and that's just what we're going to do. The cap'n can decide her fate, not you. Pick her up and head for that side exit. I want to have one last look around in here. I will be right behind you in two winks."

With that, Siggard leads his servant as quickly and quietly as he can, back to the first room to have a look around inside.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

With a groan he throws his hands up in the air, giving up. No use arguing. He pushed Grace into Holden's arms and eyes him. "You return her without so much as a scratch, or I'll keep my promise of tossing you over the rail."

That said, he unceremoniously grabs the sister and hoist her over his should like a sack of so many potatoes, groaning and cursing about fat women.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by Zhym »

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#313 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden
Unsure as to why his comrades hold an aggression towards the fact that the sister is a werewolf he decides to keep his mouth shut about it to not make things more tense.

Holden takes Grace and nods, "I will treat her like I would treat my daughter......except I have never had a daughter....I will take care of her, how about that? Yeah, sounds good enough!", he hurries with Rexlin to the exit.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Spearmint »

Pachucapatls Cave:
Pick her up and head for that side exit.
I presume this is not out the tunnel main entrance into the village but up the unexplored passage and staircase leading to Pachuca's private quarters.

Mage Siggard gives the orders and Rexlin and Holden jump to it. The marine hands over his named musket to the young bard and in a quick fireman's lift jerk hoists the shackled nun over his shoulders like the sack of spuds or a pig off to market. The nun weakly protests but Rexlin strides up the tunnel in double quick time, much faster than a shuffling captive. Holden follows, bayonet pointed to stab anyone in their way. Further up the tunnel you continue to hear the cheering and congratulatory applause of warriors coming from the temple auditorium. "The infected warriors must still be hatching,"says the sister though you are unsure of what she actually means. The native who banged on the envoys door mentioned a ritual the chief was performing but Ecdysis doesn't mean much to either of you. You turn into the side passage, illuminated by small waxed candles and after about 30'ft climb a rickety wooden stair case, knocking over clumsily the many flowerpots of traditional herbs and mini-tobacco plants that balance on each riser. The ascending steps creak slightly underfoot, warped from the damp and drizzle blowing in from outside. Up sixty steps and the passage opens out into a clearing on a flat top part of the hillside above the village. Several small thatched huts stand in a rough circle bounded by a wooden stockade on three sides, the open side flanking the drop to the village below.

Beautiful young maidens gather around each hut, several clearly show swelled bellies in advanced stages of pregnancy. A clutter of small children in swaddling clothes cry and bother the young mothers. They stand on the precipice of the hillside rock face looking down on the carnage wreaked by Van de Poel's faithful flames. Four or five of the stilted huts are fully aflame, each one billowing tongues of fire which reach high, even to the tops of nearby trees. A cacophony of noise comes from below as startled families flee terrorised by the conflagrations of their homes. The warriors exiting the tunnel join with the families to throw buckets of sandy dust upon the burning embers. Some women kneel in prayer as old men dance in circles, dark clouds form brewing stormily above the stream of smoke. The heightened sensation on your skin is like the minutes before a storm breaks. On the edge of the wild fires that have sprung up, Rexlin picks out a line of archers who are firing through the patches of allotments to a shadowy figure by the main gates. The main waves a giant curved wooden club , battering several warriors who surround him. Unbelievably, 'Gin' Van de Poel has uprooted one of the guardian totem poles and uses it as a giant might club opponents. (thanks to Siggard who detected magic in the communal hut and it shone an aura on the mollusc shell he wore. He noted the oyster inside marinated in herbs commonly used in strength potions, item as Potion of Giant strength).

Eventually your presence is noted by the girls of the harem and the toddlers. They stand initially confused and frightened by your sudden appearance.(Rexlin and Holden actions please).

Meanwhile Siggard investigates the first room, his Unseen Servant moving aside the curtain and then pulling it to for a little privacy. There is no door, only the thick woven fabric. You see a small domed room, the stonewalls smoothed with fine chisel marks, large thin stone flakes creating a mortared mosaic of tiles on the floor. Several bunks are placed along the walls, filled cushions and fabric mattresses placed to lounge upon. A smell of fragranced candles and strong distilled wine or 'hooch' emanate from clay frothy jugs placed on a low table. Centre of the room is a large reed basket shaped like an urn.(Actions Siggard please).

[img]
Chief harem huts.jpg
Chief harem huts.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
[/img]

Hotgoblin

#315 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway casts Bless on the group. She will then search for the information the Captain requested from her.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Spearmint »

Infirmary Raid:

Geoffrey blinks his eyes open. The cobra venom stinging slightly but his pupils tear drops wipes the last poison away. Thankful for the prudence of the Padre for scribing such a cure. The health clinic room is stocked with various functional illustrated charts and tables, a stethoscope and some minor surgical equipment are scattered on the floor below the desk. Roger the dead again Wight lays splayed like an aborted autopsy on the floor. Next to him the bones of the medical skeleton from the resource cupboard. Since all the undead are at rest, Elijah comes in to check he is not alone.

Iggway blesses the group entering the snake infested vivarium. Zoggrot chops away, as does Capt' Lazarus making heavy going trying to kill the snakes one at a time. Some snakes snap back fiercely at the intruders but no make a successful fang toothed attack. A second incantation is given as Iggway rasies her holy symbol again and utters a similar prayer to the one padre cast when entering the room. Not as effective in the number of snakes held under sway but firm enough for a passageway to be cleared in the centre of the room. (for time sake I took the liberty of Iggway casting her Snake Charm spell.) The two snakes eating each other wheel away, neither determined to loosen its grip on the other. The opaque snake coughs up the remains of the digested rat and disappears beneath a pile of broken glass. The window wardens snap at night bats seeking refuge.

Pocc approaches the small tank containing a twin headed snake. It has a mottled stone colour of granite but with a marble sheen to its scales. The heads bob and weave, flicking forked tongues to taste the air and taps on the glass before burrowing under the gravel base. Four little red eyes emerge slowly to see if attention has been noted. The heads face each other and one nods before the other shakes its head. It looks like it is having an argument between itself before slowly raising itself on a singular body and tapping again on the glass. Pocc looks decidedly uncertain, never meeting a bicephalic creature before. Siamese twins are uncommon, folk talk of mythical giants with two heads, the Ettin snake so named in their honour. As he peers for a closer look into the tank one snake head turns to the other and hisses with a soft lisp, "SSeemmss we have hypnotised one closer. Looks a dull figure. Suppose he might do after all....""Yess, but I think he looks quite the dashing rogue not like the one covered in old bones. The native might eat us and the old men look...well old. I say, yes you, you looking at me and him, I'm a tad famished you see, stuck in here for a couple of moths and well, I would have eaten him by now but that just would not do. So err, would you happen to have a mouse or two or three about?" The snakes twin visages look almost expectantly at Pocc.

Iggway makes her to the filing cabinet in the NW corner of the room. It is a metal three drawer piece and refuses to slide open. It must be locked. The lock has a creators design on it, Acererack Locksmiths. The padre has no key, perhaps one of his aides pocketed it last time they worked here?

Zoggrot searches the rooms with Captain Lazarus looking for the anti-venom potions produced inside."I thought we could avail ourselves of some, in lieu of rescuing the settlers from here?" Lazarus says. It is more of a statement of intent rather than a question. The table closest to the doors contains scattered papers and broken tubes used for mixing liquids. They are mini sticky labels and mirror some placed on the side of a set of syringes. The boxed syringes have various coloured viscous liquids in and carry a label, Roger the Dodgers Artful Concoctions. No other notes abound as to what specifics these concoctions are? The padre shrugs his shoulders,"Roger thought himself a bit of an alchemist, rarely did anything come of these but he remained ever optimistic." (there are 10 syringes, five colours, two of each type...Roger Dodger syringes [3d6] = 10)
actions please and let me know if you want to search specific places.

GreyWolfVT

#317 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc has no mice on his person and looks around "Might there be any mice around to feed the snakes? Or at least this interesting Ettin Snake? I think I'd like to learn more about this fellow." the sea druid will begin searching for some sort of rodent to feed the two headed snake.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey stands by the captain, ready to assist. He is more ready to get off this island, where blindness was a lucky injury compared to what it could have been.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#319 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard has his servant flip open the lid on the reed basket while he stands back, assuming that it must be full of snakes.

Once it is opened, he creeps up for a closer look inside as the servant rifles through the rest of the room.

The mage puts his elven senses to work, listening for any commotion from down the hall or outside that might tell him of what is happening out there with his friend Gin.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Spearmint »

Siggard's assumption and caution prove correct as the large urn does indeed contain serpents. Just one, a large reticulated constrictor which has been decorated in native henna and sports several jingle-bell bracelets around its body. When the lid is lifted the python, free of the hypnotic music from any flute piping maiden reverts to its animalistic nature and would strike out against the mage. The snake's forked tongue flickers, almost tasting the divine radiance of the Sanctuary ward placed upon his person. The python exits the reed urn and slithers under one of the bunks in search of a tastier treat...(monkey perhaps?), coiling itself up in a dark corner. python saves [1d20] = 16

Outside the room, many footsteps and slithery swishes echo down the passage coming from the auditorium. Natives speak in their dialect, your own vocabulary translating enough words to pick out 'the village being burned' and 'the she-creature prisoner gone.'

Siggards next action please

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”