Monte Verde

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Monte Verde

#201 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey looks around and thanks the captain,
Just doing me duty, sir.
He checks to make sure no one is sneaking up the roof, and holds off the desire to jump off at the moment.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#202 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden not used to using his muscles tries his best to save Rexlin

Strength(10): [4d6-2] = 14-2 = 12
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Zhym »

Zoggot looks at the natives and the werewolf. He rolls his eyes and huffs. "Fine. Not my fight anyway," he says as he wanders off to find the rest of the crew.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#204 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc trying very much to concentrate looks at the Padrea and Iggway "Do you think the three of us combined can do this successfully? Normally this would take the skills from a much longer practiced cleric."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#205 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway thinks of Erik, then replies...This may not work, but we must try something. She looks back to the Padre.

GreyWolfVT

#206 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc "Yes I agree we must give it a try anything to help them. To end this curse and the foolish battles."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Spearmint »

Native Village:

Thanks to a supreme effort through the clenching of teeth and butt muscles, Holden and 'Gin' Van de Poel pull Rexlin across the boggy quicksand to the edge of the ditch. With a last valiant lunge the exhausted marine pulls himself free of the sucking mud. He looks down quite pleased with the effort having kept his musket above head height most of the time and free of mud. Not the same can be said for the pistol but some water to cleanse his own clogged throat and a quick wash with wine from a skin is enough to drain the bores. The thin rays of pale moonlight shine through the blowing branches of nearby trees and from the scattered huts you can make out the sound of a baby crying, some lavatorial movements and perhaps some native couple making out.

The huts in the village are each enclosed in their own piece of cleared ground, raised on wooden stilts. Several huts have various garments hanging from windows as they launder dry, a few sport grotesque painted faces, animal caricatures. A few have lines of gutted fish dangling over the embers of old smoking fires. A small trail cuts through the forest to your west, a taste of salt air and sea breeze coming from that direction. To the right is the village centre and a small glow emanates from a thatched large hut. Behind that stands what looks like a communal gathering hut, it is long and open sided with rush matted woven carpets placed around the edges. Further beyond the village huts the last hillside rises sharply as a rocky bluff frames the village. The wind carries an echo of strange rythyms from inside a darkened opening. The moonlight picks out small glints of reflection from objects levitating wildly outside the entrance. Siggard is not seen from your position, as far as you know he still shelters beneath the overhanging branches of the willow copse outside the totem entrance. Who is seen though is a small robed native, who steps away from the mouth of the cave entrance to check out the disturbing floating pieces of statue. Seeing the half head twist and turn, the man just stares, momentarily mesmerised by what he sees.

Siggard blows on the cooling silver ingot as one would blow on steamed pudding. It is hot, very hot but not burning and it is already solidifying into a denser mass. To stop blisters the mage grabs some thick banana leaf type plants and wraps the ingot up pouch away separating it from any parchments he doesn't want incinerating. He looks at the remains of the Two Saints figures. One is smashed and very much defiled. It lie in pieces some of which get taken by the Unseen Servant to animate in ghostly fashion in front of the cave opening. The feet mimic stamping on the ground, the hands weave mystic patterns in the air, a half cloven head nods to the drumming beat. The other Saint statue is still whole, it must weigh about 90lbs. It can be carried in two hands but very awkwardly, you may drag it of course. Behind you at the totem gates the bodies of the hanging men have been ripped apart and the warriors joyfully tease the old mangy guard dogs who have given up chasing their tails to chew on a bashed and beaten leg bones. With a last glance at the carcasses and the odd poke of a silvered weapon, the warriors look like they have finished off the animated corpses once and for all and set to return back to the smelting duty.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Spearmint »

Mission Station:

Zoggrot having attempted to backstab the beast finds himself isolated in the rutted open ground. The natives eye him carefully not sure of his intentions, but with their focus on the werewolf they let him slip away back to the plaza. Perhaps if they had known he was responsible for the slaying of their shaman it might have been different. The warriors and werewolf Logan continue to wrestle, grappling with claws, teeth and clubs. From beneath the entangling net as they drag him away down the forest fringe and through the terraced fields, a howling starts up. It echoes repeatedly and mournfully across the night sky, scaring a flock of nesting birds into flight. The half-orc watches the figures disappear into the shadows, he is greeted in the plaza by the gold toothed smile of 'Goldie'. The man holds out something in his hands to you. It is the sinew and bone-vestments worn by the deceased shaman."Thought you might look wicked in it." says the pirate. (take it or wear it if you wish)

As frightening as the sight of a warrior wearing such garb might be, an even more terrifying event occurs as a howling echoes forcefully from the attic of the manse. An answering call of a wolf to the alpha male, a call to hunt Pocc may interpret, a call of pain and distress as if the beast was caught within the iron teeth of a rangers snare.

It causes the settler menfolk in the plaza to shake their heads and they gather themselves to enter the chapel for refuge. The wooden shutters close on the upper storeys of the trading store. Grimwald is sent to the belfry tower to reinforce Geoffrey., while Captain Lazarus goes tot he sisters manse to find the Padre.

Padre Claude du Lautrere ascends the attic ladder with Iggway and druid Pocc. together they check the restraints holding Erik to the metal bedstead and unfurl the scroll parchment. In unison they chant the incantations, raising their hands and swaying in rhythm. They call upon Gods, colonial, tribal and of the earth to drive the blood curse away and exorcise the body of the young werewolf Erik. He bitterly resists the Remove Curse spell and howls in both protest and call to his father Logan. "never will I turn, I want to be like Pa. I will bite and eat your mangy flesh, curse you padre, I know. I will bite my sister again and you'll see we'll chase all of you off this rotten island,", Erik spell saves [1d20] = 17. For several turns the battle of wills goes on until, the finally the Padre looks exhausted. The other children in the attic room wake from their calm sleep, their cries drowning out the prayers of the faithful. One or two fret more noticeably and one of the mothers sadly too slips their small wrists into iron manacles. With the spell being ineffective, the Padre signals for the ritual to end and casts a Silence spell on the attic space.

Pocc and Iggway, give me a [1d100] % roll please,

The padre, Captain and the two clerics retire to the kitchen table to discuss the events and revelations uncovered. "They are just children, they can be saved but I can only do so one at a time and even then the subject must be willing." he says sorrowfully.

(Over to you guys if you want to make a for and against argument to 'save the children')

the captain will leave at dawn, before then he wants to pick up the potions and research notes left in the snake infested Infirmary. Geoffrey you may join Zoggrot in the plaza if you wish and if you guys want to brave the Infirmary with the clerics I will narrate that.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey sees his duty appears done, retreats toward the captain to await further orders.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

GreyWolfVT

#210 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc Random d100 Roll [1d100] = 95

Saddened by the failure though if it succeeded he'd be far more shocked "We gave it our best shot Padre, but I too want to help try and save the children. I fear however we might need old Eli's assistance perhaps four of us would have better a chance at this. As I understand it your holy water baths don't appear to be fully working to prevent the change either? What if you were able to combine the baths with the ritual? Do you think that would improve our chances?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#211 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sig takes a look outside again, trying to judge if he has time to drag away the still whole statue before the natives return. He thinks better of the idea and simply darts back outside of the smelting area with his hot ingot. He has his servant throw down the floating pieces of statue, wondering if dead bodies moving by themselves and floating debris is a normal everyday occurrence to these natives. He commands his energy mass to follow him a short distance into the tree line as he looks around for the others in the direction that he thinks they are.

If there are other huts nearby, he will begin peeking into open windows for the sister that they also seek.

Hotgoblin

#212 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway is not sure what more they can do...maybe they should leave the island to the changed folks and the others that aren't should leave.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

Gives his hastened thanks to Holden and VdP. He then points to the communal building while holding a finger to his lips for quiet. He looks for a window where he can peek in and see what all the thumping is about. In the meantime, he cant help but grab a smoked fish and munch on it as he goes.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Spearmint »

Native Village:

The guard at the cave mouth watches the moving pieces of saintly statue weave in the air. After the initial shock and surprise he grabs his club and flails through the air at the pieces. His club connects with the headpiece and 'homeruns' it outside of the village over the thatched rooftops and into the boggy ditch. At the same time the hands and feet of the broken saint drop stone dead on the floor at his feet, no more under the prestidigating compulsion of the Unseen Servant. The guard unceremoniously whacks the pieces back in the direction of the forge where the other warriors fresh from hacking the animated lynched bodies have returned. There is some murmuring among them and casting glances around as if searching for something. Then they settle down passing chewing tobacco while one relights the forge embers and another gathers the broken pieces for smelting. The remaining saint statue, smiles gracefully, fist still clenched gripping a constrictor snake, his features peeking out the linen covering in the corner of the forge, awaiting defilement or rescue.

Siggard can sneak away as unseen as his servant through tangled lines of drying clothes and bundles of tied fragrant leaves. Chancing a peek through opened windows he finds the interiors of the huts to be simplistic family rooms. Folk sleeping beneath mosquito nets on straw framed cots. Colourful fabric woven rugs line the wooden floors. Some huts have small cages of colourful birds or vivariums for pet snakes and roving lizards. Earthware cooking pots and common utensils are stored on rickety shelves. Most homes have a small votive shrine. Spears and wooden shortbows hang on wall pegs.

The gang meet again on opposite sides of the opened communal hut. The mud drenched figure of Rexlin smiling through the dirt, you can see the whites of his eyes only. The blonde hair of Holden marks him clearly even in the shadow moonlight, Van de Poeljust nods acknowledgingly, "Hagslayer."Climbing inside the communal hut, you can slide a door on cane runners to partition an area off and be out of sight from the warriors at the forge. Hanging in pride of place on the main wall are two hairy pelts, looking like they come from recently skinned beasts. Thrown into a corner are some torn pages of a book, a hymnbook by its cover and a broken bracelet of native jewellery. A black fabric scapular head covering lies snagged on some wooden splinters. Evidence of Sister Adelaide perhaps but her whereabouts remain uncertain. The rest of the communal hall is simple furnished.

actions and plans please.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#215 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden silently pockets the scattered pages out of mere curiosity. He points towards the snagged fabric and whispers, "She couldn't have gone far" he exits the hut where he entered then covers his hair with mud for added camouflage.

He continues to circle around the village hiding in the grass and checking huts on the outside part of the village hoping to find sister Adelaide
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#217 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard nods back at his newest friend and whispers. "These people seem to have no fear of the unknown."

He then begins casting a spell. Detect Magic

Once done, the mage looks about the room again, hoping to see something shine.

If not, he sneaks back outside again and looks around the village carefully.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Spearmint »

Native Village:

The Communal Hut is built on sturdy wooden stilts and elevated about chest height off the ground. Some small detachable cane-work ladders are placed against the side to gain access. Their is a main hall which is open on two opposing sides. Rolled up woven reed mats hang above the openings which may be unrolled to keep out the sun. The main room is sparsely furnished. Off to one end an enclosed smaller room with a sliding door on runners. It has a closed shuttered window and in this room you are. Siggard casts his detection spell. Two things unknown to you immediately radiate some aura. One is the mollusc shell necklace which is around the neck of 'Gin' Van de Poel, the other is part of the hymn book that lies torn in the corner which radiates as Holden pocket it. Checking them over you discover it to be a happy-clappy type chorus annotated with descriptive notes over a musical graph.

(It is a Chant spell, usable by Clerics level ii or Bards level I)

"LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.
Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God.

But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. (x4)

I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his Holy Hill.
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.
Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God
Salvation belongs unto the LORD.

But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. (x4)

Holden muses over the words and music, trying to put a bit of orchestrated 'oomph' into the instrumental music buzzing in his mind. Investigating the mollusc shell taken from the natives by the net you find it contains a long thick oyster but it has been marinated in some strange infusion of native herbs and juicy spices.

wisdom checks Sig and Holden [4d6] = 12 [5d6] = 16 One of the herbs is a spicy sliver of a red hot chilli like bud, taken from a version of the wild mandrake known for its properties to make the muscles grow bigger and harder. Often used in exotic love potions it is also known to impart excessive bouts of physical strength and endurance.

'Gin' smiles thinking of the lusty wanton wenches in the coastal taverns he could pleasure with a potion of giant strength. The surrounding huts remain quiet. The only created noise emanates from the guarded cave mouth with the carved stone lintel. There doesn't appear to be any hut more grander or significant than the others so a presumption could be that Pachuapatl resides within the hillside cavern. Sneaking around the village, pausing only as a window is opened to throw out the contents of a chamberpot, you conclude that most of the women and children are asleep in their dwellings. You have seen few native men. The half dozen around the forge and the guard at the cave. The village looks to be big enough to host three dozen plus family huts and a number of smaller shacks. Holden can confirm that the tribal drumming coming from the cave is beaten from several distinct skin drums. way, way off in the distance the wind brings you the faint howling of a wolf.

Actions please.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#219 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard whispers to the others after telling them of their items magical properties.

"I think we need to get into that cave opening. No doubt the sister we seek will be inside. I found one of the statues we seek as well. It is in the corner of the forge area over there. The other statue has already been destroyed by them so they could extract its silver. What I don't understand is why these natives are so dead set on coating their weapons with silver........unless......." The mage dismisses the thought, wondering how the others are faring back at the church.

"Hopefully, I can use my invisible servant to draw away the guard. It worked once already to get those few warriors away from the forge, allowing me to take a closer look. We need to get the statue and the sister and get the hell outta here!"

Should we have 2 people get the statue and start heading back before the rest of us enter the cave? Or should we all go in together?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Spearmint »

Mission stations:

Zoggrot takes the bone vestment from Goldie. It rattles a little but the sinews seem to hold the various bone fragments tightly in place, You recognise long serpent spines, monkey craniums and lizard mandibles. Open fanged jaws snap shut to clasp it together or adjust its' girth. The bones are white bleached clean. Attached by a long string of vertebrae is a partial face helm, made from a large primates cheekbones and jaw. Putting it over your face you whisper in a hoarse voice,"The force is strong in you Grimguts.", mimicking an orc villain of futuristic faerie stories. "Scary, but not the sort of thing you would wear for chapel, unless raiding it of course," responds Goldie.

Pascale exits the chapel, restored to health through drinking the stolen healing potion. She climbs the belfry tower again and joins Grimwald in watching for another night raid on the plaza. Elijah Crowthorne goes around the ground gathering the native corpses to wrap in old sheets and blankets. The sisters say that the Padre allows the bodies to be collected for traditional burial pyres. Cecilia and Beatrix minister in securing the chapel and those sheltering therein.

Padre Claude talks with the clerics Iggway and Pocc and Captain Lazarus. He confesses his weakness in being able to cure the lycanthropy from the settler children but insists that they are not the monsters protruded to be. He can only scribe so many vellums each week and at such a cost both to the missions finances and to himself."The children may be cured, if they are willing of course. A stronger vocational faith must exercise dominion over them. Perhaps if they were taken to the Bishop?" he offers, though his diocese is many miles away in the Bahamas."Port de Paix has a famed hospice and of course All Saints Priory in Port Royal caters for many of the divinities," he suggests as likely places of specialist care. Lazarus is not so convinced, "A debt to be repaid, I can carry them as far as the Keys. Beyond is the great wild lands, maybe better of there is not buried six feet under. How will my men cope, we already detain one shape-changing mongrel, more would 'tip the boat' if you pardon my expression Padre.", he sighs heavily, duty bound to honour his friendship with the priest who sheltered him but also mindful of the obvious dangers."And I cannot wait for this pariah Logan to return. His fate may already be sealed thank the gods, all who wish to leave may do so at dawn. I will not force the exodus. Padre you will have to deal with the settlers left behind and reconcile with the natives." The padre nods in agreement and passes a leather bound volume over to the ships clerics, for further study.

That settled and with time of the essence, talk drifts to the ransacked Infirmary.

Padre Claude speaks up once again."After the first break in, some farmers and I entered to clean the place out but it is not just venomous snakes who now reside in the building. I fear the natives have cursed the place with an ungodly presence. I felt something clutch at my very soul in the corridors and it almost snatched my spirit away. My friends died too and their bodies still lay unclaimed. It is to my shame that we focused on the living not the dead or else they would be interred more respectfully now. Since that time my prayers and devotions have been limited in expression and the number of divine prayers I may meditate upon each day."

During a time of personal devotion and prayer Iggway and Pocc may replenish their spell list. Results of your % roll known in the private threads.

Captain Lazarus decides to join a group and enter the building to redeem the anti-venom research notes and also any vials and potions of healing still accessible. With a shout to the bell tower to ring noisily if trouble arises he gathers some of his crew by the boarded double doors of the ivy covered building. Iggway, Pocc, Zoggrot and Geoffrey may join in if you wish or remain 'on guard' in the plaza.

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”