All aboard: Captain Lazarus.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

All aboard: Captain Lazarus.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

It all starts in a tavern...

In this case the tavern is The Black Walrus, situated in the crowded dockside streets of the town. The docks are busy, even this late, coastal pinaces unloading barrels of spices, another herding squealing hogs from its hull and crowded crates of flapping hens. Further out in the bay a small rickety sloop lies at anchor,bobbing on the waves, sails tied back. Eustace Bay is a nice haven from the brewing storm, the rocks which spread out from the land encompass the bay like a horseshoe, shielding it from the wind. The bay lies on the west side of the island of St Eustatius is in the eastern Carib, a saddle shaped island. One side has a dormant volcano upon whose ridge stands a small fort and manse overlooking the bay. A few farmhouses step across the terraced hillside. Across the island the hill on the other side is full of larch pinewoods, tall birch, acorn and lime trees. The bay is full of bright lights and scattered fishermens' cottages. A couple of small chapels and shrines being the taller buildings. The east side of St Eustatius is also littered with warehouses and cottages but these are dilapidated and in disrepair. Some have even sunk beneath the waves and the area has been cornered off by huge strips of barbed wire and fence posts with warnings painted on them. The folk say the area is haunted and left well alone.

The late evening hustle and bustle of market traders is slowly being replaced by the raucous swelling of boozy sailors intent on grog and entertainment. The pouring rain causing folk to huddle for shelter in alleyways and corners or to squeeze tight in crowded 'standing room' only saloons. Despite the collection of vicious looking men, armed with cutlass and wicked looking daggers, the streets around the tavern are for the most part quite merry, when there is gold to spend men are happy.

The Black Walrus is one of the larger bay side taverns, stone built walls dressed with oaken beams and high pitched vaulted ceiling. A chandelier of smokey mini lanterns casts light around the hall, crowded with misshapen carved tables, dramatically screwed to the floor. One main window boarded up, testament to a past brawl. Men are clinking glasses of frothy ale together and leering at nimble serving wenches who weave dexterously between bar stools and groping hands. You stand in a queue of men, leading up to a back table upon which lies an open leather bound ledger. Seated there is a thick set grey haired man, horned rimmed glasses on his hook nose, ascribing furious notes in the book crossing some out with red ink, writing new lines in blue. Next to him stands a tall grim faced dark skinned man, taut bicep muscles flexed as he folds his arm and speaks in a harsh commanding voice, Next, step forward, name, age, trade skills. A long muzzled pistol peeks out from a thick leather belt, an imposing wide blade falchion strapped to his back. You notice several well worn notches on the blade, thankfully no blood drips from it tonight.

In a corner next to an open brazier stand another couple of men, fancier dressed with tartan cloaks and glossed boots. Rapiers hang from their side and they swill red wine from crystal glasses, sniffing the aroma', with an air of knowledge. One man is taller than the other, slicked back combed hair and long trimmed moustache. He has gold sovereign rings on each finger though you note his left index finger is missing entirely. This is Captain Lazarus.

Move them along Rico he speaks without turning to the tall black guardian, No time for niceties, vintage wine but virgin crew don't mix well. I want to leave at six bells, no later.

six bells is three hours into the present four hour on ship watch. Bells ring on the half hour. It is about 10.00pm now

Aye Captainhe responds and looks down the queue, eyeing up each person. He points out into the bay Next, step to Mr Perryman here, sign yer life for yer fame and fortune. The 'Mc G' is waiting for new hands and brave hearts..

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: All aboard: Captain Lazarus.

#2 Post by Stirling »

Szmodics

Szmo' stands in line, looking around the tavern, trying not to regret his next steps. It is not hard to leave a fisherman's life behind. Hard all season work but steady and constant. Always fish in the sea. But signing on to crew with some rogue privateer from who knows where?

He hoped it would lead to adventure and wealth and he could come home one day, master of his own vessel. He would hate to come back with a wooden leg or hook hand, better not to come back at all he thinks.

From his place in the queue can Szmo' hear any of the crew conversation? Where have they been, what have they done?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Well as in your back story you write you are from this island so, as the population is not too large I will give you some advantage.

You look around in the tavern while you wait for you turn to be called forward. You are not sure which group of men belong to one ship and which crew another. You tevognise a couple of older men, fisher folk who seem surprised to see you standing in line. Does your father know you are here?

Sitting at a round table by the boarded window is a small group of men and dwarves. They look a scurvy lot for sure, scarred faces, missing teeth, eye patches. Thankfully for your confidence, the only wooden legs belong to the table. The dwarves chat a bit in their own tongue you think as they compare newly won scars. The men speak up, one dramatically gesticulates miming an explosion as he points to his chest. You think he is telling the others he carries bits of shrapnel still, from a ship they had pursued but lost. Then the men look over to the corner where the Captain stands and frown, smiles gone, replaced only when a new round of grog comes by.

Your attention is snapped back to the desk as the tall black guard grins at you waving a finger,

"You're next, step forward to Mr Perryman."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

Szmodics

His attention caught by the suddenness of being called, Szmodics takes a brave step forward.

"Szmodics my name sir, err boss...err Mr Perryman. I'm 22 and a fisherman from this port. Only sailed round this island, would like to see a bit more of the world."

Szmodics looks between the desk man and the guard Hopi.g he makes a good impression. "and I can pick out a gull in flight with one of these,"he says opening his cloak to reveal a small crossbow.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

Mr Perryman looks up from the desk nonchalently and then returns to scribbling a few notes down in the ledger. He takes you name and that of a next of kin, adding a cursory description of race, gender, height, eye colour, distinctive scars or appearance. You notice lots of 'Jean Blanc' names and wonder if it actually matters who or what you are?

A fisherman eh? done a bit of sailing too, so you'll have yer sea legs and no touch of the 'greenies' then. Good you'll do. Sign yer signature here. he points to a space in the ledger and hands you a quill. He also gives you are parchment rolled up like a scroll, which he hands to you but grips firmly as you take it in your hand, These are your 'terms and conditions' if you like, or even if you don't like. The first and last words out of your mouth if you are addressed by the captain is 'Captain', you address me by Mr Perryman, Sir, and him,pointing at Rico, who grins at you revealing broken pointed canines and a few gold fillings, You'll learn to call every name under the sun and more.. The pair laugh and you hear a few extra guffaws echo around the room and a little cheer of mugs being lifted to herald your joining the crew.

Rico reaches into a small pouch and takes out a silver coin which he bites to establish its' authenticity before flipping it to you across the desk, Wait at the bar with the others, by a mug o' grog or rum. It'll be your last drink before we sail. Welcome aboard. Next he ushers you away and calls forth the next in line.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin walks in just as Mr. Perry hollers for the next volunteer. Looking over his shoulder he walks quickly over elbowing his way through to the table and stands their wordlessly staring with intense eyes. After a tense moment he finally speaks in a gravely voice. "How far are you goin?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Spearmint »

All the way is the reply you get from Rico who stares back at you, eyeing you up as a man with a similar frame and bulk. You want to crew with the McGregor or not? Captain Lazarus brooks no fools, we go were he sails, he carries Letters of Marque from the Gauloise to assail how we can and we run trade routes across the islands. Tonight we sail north east to edge close to the Keys. We share the risk we share the rewards that's all. You wanna sign with us, put your name and signature here, you want something else, The Gladys next door is looking for some bilgerats.

Mr Perryman, the steward looks up at you making note of the tattoos. Hmmm, nice work, very native in design, a little unorthodox maybe but cultural. he nods approvingly and then prepares to hand out another rolled contract scroll.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Bluehorse »

He eyes Rico right back and nods in that way that old soldiers do to one another when they recognize and in trade respect their own. Turning to Mr. Perryman; "Fair enough for me." He looks over his shoulder briefly then leans down scrawling his name on the contract with an oddly brutal flourish of his hand. He accepts the contract and gives a practiced salute to both men. "If it's all the same... I'd like to go ahead an board. I have..." He glances over his shoulder again. "Complications that might be looking for me."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

"Complications?" enquires Rico eyebrow raised, then a few lewd assumptions and laughter come from nearby crew.

"ha, he's a runaway bride, spurned your love at the altar did you?"

"a runaway bread more like, bet he's nicked the pastry from the bakers"

"he'll give you pasting with a fistful of pastry Noggin, look at the size of him!"

"well he ain't giving a pasting to his missus though, shes' still at the altar."

Mugs of ale get raised in cheers to Rex. Rico tosses you a silver piece. "reason judiciare' or no reason at all, don't matter. You are one of us now
Unless you want to swim to the boat, take a stool at the bar. Next in line, step forward."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

Next in line is a shortish but powerfully built person with close-cropped black hair and intelligent brown eyes. He wears leather armor and moves with a grace that is unusual for someone so stocky. At first glance, he looks like a rather brutish human—that is, until one notices the slight gray-green tint to his skin, the barest hint of a point at the top of each of his ears, and the prominent bicuspids that appear when he opens his mouth to speak.

"Zoggrot Grimgut," he says, introducing himself. "I'd like to sign on."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Spearmint »

Mr Perryman writes Zoggrots' name down. "Another Grimgut from the colony eh or some place else? What skills you got, can you read and write?", at that comment there is a bit of laughter from a table behind you "only fun son, you just scribble you mark here and one of the boys can explain the details to you. You'll do just fine. Ever fired a cannon before?"

Rico flips you a coin to go with your contract and you take you place by the bar.

The barman pours you all a drink as the line moves. Surprisingly a couple of swarthy blokes get rejected from signing up and they sit dejected by the door, whilst a dwarf hobbles on a wooden leg, receiving a few high fives. He walks straight to the bar and a few cheers and a salute from the Captain. Mr Perryman turns his ledger back a few pages, blotting out a red line and scribing something new.

Lazarus drinks his last fill of wine, both he and the man next to him smash their glasses in the brazier and go to leave the Black Walrus tavern.

"Last bell Mr Perryman, see to the supplies. These new lads can earn their mark and load the jolly."

The tavern throng swells a bit with more patrons, some crew clear their tables to follow the Captain out, others join you at the bar as last orders are put in and you find yourself getting elbowed aside by a mass of sweaty bodies. A few folk remain the the queue to the table, eager to try their hands as privateering buccaneers.

"Next".calls Rico waving snappily.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

"I was born on St. Nevis," confirms Zoggrot. He signs his name in a flowing, precise script. "I confess that I struggle to read some of the more esoteric Olmaic dialects at times, but my Gauloise is good enough to keep me from getting slapped—from language misunderstandings, anyway." He grins, baring his fang-like bicuspids again. "The gentlemen who ran the fort did not let me try my hand at the cannon. You understand. I am, however, a quick study, and it's hard to grow up on St. Nevis without learning a little something about sailing."

He accepts the coin and and takes his spot at the bar.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As folks leave and enter the tavern, Siggard Blyth steps inside, brushing off the sleeves of his puffy shirt. He looks the place over for a bit to orient himself. He seeks a new line of work, sick and tired of the heavy manual labor on the merchants ships that got him here. He tosses a small piece of apple over his shoulder that lands in the flap of his open pack as he steps up to the table.

Siggard Blyth at your service, sirs. I seek adventure on the high seas but I have little in the way of actual sailing knowledge. If you could use a man to help "fill the sails" if you catch my meaning, then I would be that man. The grey haired man wiggles his fingers in a non threatening manner to emphasize his claims.

I am not here for doing the menial labor now mind you. And I am not running from any tattered past either. I assure you that I am here by my own free will.

Would you have need of someone of my skill set or not? I will offer my special talents to your crew in return for teaching me the ropes of sailing if you will pardon my pun.

What say you? There are a lot of other ships on the water as I am sure you already know quite well.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

"Well Mr Blyth, we need people strong in the arm and strong in the head as well. Capt' Lazarus likes a rounded crew. No easy life though, Mickey Blue Eyes became Mickey One Eye after dabbling with the wrong fine grains and blew half his face off." answers Mr Perryman, checking you over through his glasses and scribbling a few notes in the ledger.

Rico chimes in with a story. "had old Barton the mage with us once. Learned a trick that some of the crew shinned up a rope and disappeared from view at the top into some extra dimensional space. Used it to raid Iberian merchantmen till off San Juan, Bart got blown to smothers before he could undo the knot from the rope and let the guys back down. They be still up there even now. Them old rope tricks, plenty of them on vessels, the boys at the bar can tell you the story of the Capt' and the straw men. That's how he got notorious in some parts. "

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Stirling »

Smzodics

Szmo notices the wooden leg dwarf limp in. He makes his way to him and asks politely,
Looks like you been with the Captain before seeing Mr Perryman not signing you up like some of us. What sort of ship is this McGregor? and the Captain, what sort of man is he?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote:"Well Mr Blyth, we need people strong in the arm and strong in the head as well. Capt' Lazarus likes a rounded crew. No easy life though, Mickey Blue Eyes became Mickey One Eye after dabbling with the wrong fine grains and blew half his face off." answers Mr Perryman, checking you over through his glasses and scribbling a few notes in the ledger.

Rico chimes in with a story. "had old Barton the mage with us once. Learned a trick that some of the crew shinned up a rope and disappeared from view at the top into some extra dimensional space. Used it to raid Iberian merchantmen till off San Juan, Bart got blown to smothers before he could undo the knot from the rope and let the guys back down. They be still up there even now. Them old rope tricks, plenty of them on vessels, the boys at the bar can tell you the story of the Capt' and the straw men. That's how he got notorious in some parts. "
Siggard smiles uncomfortably at the less than pleasant stories of past mage's.

Well, I don't know that specific spell. But I think the ones I do know will be quite useful to you.......I mean us. If you say I won't be swabbing decks all day long like these other men, then you can count me in!

Where do I sign? I'm dying to hear about the straw men. Dummies set up on deck to look like soldiers, no doubt?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Spearmint »

The dwarf looks up at Szmodics, rubbing the stump on his left leg. McGregors Revenge, an old sloop out of the Bahamas'. used for trading fruit, nuts and 'spices' if you know what I mean. Customs impounded her one year in the Royal' and the Captain, with a band of no good cutthroats sort of took her over. She pisses water like yer grannies fanny, creaks in the wind and lists like sodden drunk, but shes' fast like shit off a shovel. Wether there's a good crew of stalwarts or a bad lot of vagabonds on board who knows but them there officers know there stuff and keep folks in line fairly harshly. Captain Lazarus, well he's a dead man reborn, from farming stock I think, Sent away in exile after his Breton farms were tenanted out and the crofters were shipped off to plantation work here. Men came first on one boat, women and kids on the other but that sank off the reefs and never made it in. No home, no family, we're it for him. He turns to grab an ale and moves to mix with a few regulars further down the bar.

Mr Perryman sits back and looks at Siggard, You'll swab decks, weigh anchor, crow the nest and monkey the powder like all folks. But if you have a skilled trade, Captain will find you a nice desk to keep you busy at. He don't brook kindly to fools though an neither do I since you might apprentice to me... he looks at you again and then says,well all your magic must be up heretapping his head with a long finger, since you ain't carrying any on you.

He pushes the ledger and quill to Siggard indicating where to fill in name, kin, etc. That can be your first task then, get old Cravat to recount the tell of the Straw Dogs to you, tell me the tale at breakfast..

You think you catch a wink from him to Rico but are not sure. Catching a coin you can hurry to the bar and buy a last drink.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

Re: All aboard: Captain Lazarus

#18 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway Gweequay walks with a purpose through the door of the Black Walrus. She surveys the room for whom she hopes to be her friend's savior. Padre Claude du Lautrere', explained what Captain Lazarus looks like, but no one is matching his description. Iggy must inquire as to his whereabouts, she walks over to a gentleman writing in a ledger talking to someone with long grey hair, she waits patiently for their strange conversation to end....Excuse-a-me...fetch Cap'n Lazrs is here? Friend need help...... She anxiously awaits the man's response as she shows no fear in a tavern full of wanton men.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

Shame Missie, cus' you just missed him, says Mr Perryman giving the woman the once over. Captain going back on board and the McGregors due out. If you've come to wail and moan cus' one of the crew gotcha you or your mate pregnant well, the Captain wishes you good health but it's nowt to do with him.

He nods to the clearing tables and the men at the bar.I'm just signing up a new roster of men or women, dwarves and half breeds, one leg or two. Captain offers a good share in any trade or trove and the seas got plenty of pickings. If you follow them new pair of half native lads to the quay you can wave them off to the Captain shortly.

Hotgoblin

#20 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway Gwequay is determined to request Captain Lazarus' aid...Iggway go on boat...find Cap'n Lazarus, help Padre!! Take me to boat now! Have urgent message for Cap'n!! No baby!! Iggy nods to Mr Perryman sincerely.

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”