Raid on Nassau: 'Cockleshell Heroes'.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Raid on Nassau: 'Cockleshell Heroes'.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

McGregor's Revenge

With her new copper lining riveted to the hull, the privateer sloop, cuts through the sou-westerly waves like a hot knife through butter. Sleek, fast and running broad-beam reach with the wind and considerably less drag, sea trails are performed off the eastern coast of Andros. Outfitted from the Freeport dry docks with reinforced decks, taking the extra weight of a dozen plus bronzed cannons which peek out of rubber sealed portals cut into the hull, giving an added broadside to the ship's firepower. Crew hammocks are slung above the barrels, space at a premium as the decks get reconfigured. The galley, still doubling as medevac area, the chapel room (complete with vivarium and venomous snakes for Iggway) and the stores are relocated to the lower deck. The stern is repaired and a new ship's wheel set in place, it has a mosaic pattern of a gilded swan in mother-of-pearl and precious gemstones.

The crew are put through various routines. Hard labour in the masts, hauling rigging and sail to tack the ship at acute angles and repeated sessions of cannon practice. 'All Hands' means just that, so there is no let up for the ship scholars. Assigned duties of arcane or ritual study undertaken in candlelit vigils. The tradition of a flagon of ale at the ending of shifts a welcome and hard earned treat.

Captain Lazarus summons everyone who rush to assemble on deck as he waits to address the crew. "Sail we do as privateers under a 'Letter of Marque ' from the Gauloise and under the skull and crossbones of the Pirate Brethren. Most of us torn apart from our families and lands by the cruelties of the Breton crown. Now we have a chance to vanguard an audacious strike against them by disabling their ships prior to the Gauloise invasion fleet seizing their port. We know the Breton's have a skill and power to outmatch most on the open seas but secured in their harbour they are vulnerable. We are going to exploit this weakness and sink their flagship. " Cue much cheering and 'hoorahs'.

Mr Perryman steps forward to bring some extra details before dismissing the crew. "Our recent successes against the Iberian barques helped us discover a new weapon in subterfuge and sabotage. These giant clams eat through the wood of a ship's hull and by default spring numerous leaks. We aim to sneak in to Nassau and strategically place them on Breton naval ships before enticing the brigs to open waters, eventually sinking them to the depths or blasted apart from cannon fire. He waits for the extra cheering to subside, "Though this heroic enterprise is not without risk. However great rewards are reserved for the volunteers on this 'Do or die' mission. That or a watery grave and one of Elijah's prayer laments."

The crew seperate to discuss what it all means. Some favour the escapade others decline volunteering for the safety of the sloop. Further details are kept secret for the ears only of the brave and foolhardy. You know that Rene has been crafting several three-man canoes for the project, enough for a quarter of the crew and room for you all.

This is your opportunity then to approach the captain and describe why you should volunteer. Add a [3d6] charisma based roll to your post, gain a further d6 for each point of notoriety.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Raid on Nassau: 'Cockleshell Heroes'.

#2 Post by Stirling »

Szmodics

"Sir, Captain Lazarus Sir." The rogue approaches the guarded door with some trepidation. After a sound whipping he wants to be in the Captain's good books. After the revelation of the next mission he expected a queue for the door. It seems that he is the first one. Well, that might be taken positively. Doffing his cap he enters when summoned.

"Captain, I have no personal ruck against the Breton Crown but figure any raid will further my name, among the Brethren and if perchance I get to captain my own vessel. Well, Sir, a leader leads from the front and men join where they have confidence. I hope I've proved more than an able seaman during the last few voyages. I am good with a blade and quiet with a paddle. Consider me for the mission. I won't let anyone down."
Nassau raid charisma test [4d6] = 12

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Alderhay waits patiently for his turn.

"Captain, sir. I know that I'm new to your ranks, mostly untested and not as skilled as others, but a man has to start somewhere and be bold if he is to make a name for himself. I believe that stealth is key to this undertaking, and I can do stealth, and my magic will come in handy if we need to silence any lookouts quickly and quietly"

Nassau raid charisma check: [3d6] = 7

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey, upon being interviewed, confidently mentions,

" I have made no secret my disdain for the man who holds the crown over his head. If this plot helps to hasten his fall, I am but one man but willing to die for it.

I dont recall what notariety I have, but here is a base level one.

de: base skill test [3d6] = 13

edit to add:
as a Breton, he has a +1 rep. And I believe equiv to a +2 Chr adjust if applicable?
Last edited by onlyme on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Fenis

"Captain Sir, I volunteer for this raid and am willing do what must be done for it to be a success."

Chrisma 5, Notoriety 15

Not sure how to handle the roll so feel free to re-roll or add extra dice as needed.

Chr [3d6] = 8

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

Not 100% sure I have a full record of my notoriety if some have 15 points in it already.

CHA v 6 [8d6] = 23

Rexlin approaches the Captain soon as he can.

Captain, Fishy and I were two of the men take wrestled with these shells when they were on our ship. We know how to place them to make them harder to remove and we know where to put them to do the most damage. And with Fishy never needing to take a breath when he is in the water, we can do three times the work of the rest of these crewmen, especially the fresh bloods coming aboard, sir.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

Zoggrot's justification of why he's needed on the mission is simple: "It's more likely to succeed with me than without me."

Cha check: [3d6] = 12 'Bonus': [1d6] = 5

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Oohh, looks like someone else is getting whipped. :lol:

Siggard casually strolls into the captains quarters with his freshly washed and pressed crew tartan wrapped around his shoulder in perfect position, always trying to win favor for himself when he can.

"Cap'n Laz sir! As you know, I have been a stalwart member of every away team that I have been on so far, sir!"

"If it weren't for me, sir, I don't think a few of those men would have returned at all."

"Since I had a huge part in discovering those damn clams in the first place, and with my ability to think and cast my spells on the fly, I think Gin and I would be a huge advantage to have on this mission, if it pleases you of course, Cap'n sir!"

Normal CHR Check [3d6] = 15
Initiative [1d6] = 3 That's an 18 total, so I hope we are trying to roll high. :lol:

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

Stubble made his way to the Captain's audience. After a few days of rest, and warm, he's a lot happier. A few days of practising with the pistols, and fiddling with the gun parts, leaves him in an even better mood. No time to get everything done yet, but some ideas are forming. Of course, having a brace of pistols in addition to the morning star puts him in a good place.

"Sir, this crew isn't the brightest lot I've ever seen, but they are some of the bravest. The Breton crown means no more or less to me than any other, but I stood my ground with my crew and will do so again."

Join adventure [3d6] = 10

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#10 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway knocks on the Captain’s door. Roger and Gaston are wrapped around her arm and ”they” hiss at the Captain as she enters the room. She pets them as if petting a cat. Captain Lazarus, sir, thank you for seeing us. Our abilities with healing and magic speak for themselves. Don’t you agree? We’d like to be part of the raid, sir! She has a snake on either side of her face.

PbP Forum code: [3d6-2] = 8-2 = 6 CHR

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc goes off to meet with the captain as he has see the others do. Knocking on the captain's door "Sir I'd like to go on the raid."

Charisma Check (16) [3d6] = 14
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Ferrol

Ferrol bides his time, waiting for the Captain to have a free moment. "Captain, Sir. You have done me a great favor in allowing me to join your crew. This unique mission is the talk of the more adventurous members of your crew, and their excitement speaks well of your plan, Sir. I humbly submit to your judgment in picking volunteers. I believe you best suited to matching our own skills to the challenges ahead."

Ferrol bows and awaits judgment. Charisma roll (18): [3d6] = 13

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

Captain Lazarusĺ

After roll call, the 'dirty dozen and a half' are selected and gathered together in the Captain's cabin. "Welcome men and brothers in arms. I have known some of you men for years, others months or just a few days. Some have volunteered out of duty, others revenge, some to aid their brethren.

While the ship was dry docked the Governor entertained me with his council and shared some of their ambitions. The Gauloise-Breton truce is about to be broken. I have put forward an idea to supplement their plans which provoked both interest and derision. But I say it can be done. Whilst they debate and scorn we are going to put it and ourselves to the test."

He spreads out a map upon a table which you can gather around. It shows the South Andros Islands and the swamp bights between it and the north island. Central to the south is a lagoon, horseshoe in shape with a fort in the centre ground, set in the heart of the surrounding mangrove swamps.

Mangrove Fort. Home of the Gauloise training fleet. They host academy cadets on a ricketty galleon anchored here. We are going to sneak in, limpet that vessel and take their guard watchtower by the Keep. Raising our flag to indicate victory. All friendly natured of course. They know we are coming but don't know exactly when. So expect guards stationed and tricks to test our mettle. If we can prove able to infiltrate this place, the Gauloise will ready their invasion fleet for Nassau and up the reward ante for us when we assault for real. 'Letters of privateer Marque' for some of you and an estate on the island for an old sea dog crofter like me."

He goes on to explain that the ship's carpenters have crafted some lightweight canoes. Thin ribbed birch exoskeleton frames covered with tanned whaleskin. They float low in the water and look unstable in high waves. But float they do, riding crests like match wood.

We drop you a few miles further round the coast. You paddle at night around the lagoon mouth and across the shallow reefs, unseen in the shadows like predatory gators. Fasten your clams and then sneak into the watch tower as they change shifts.

Remember this is an exercise. We are not at war with the Gauloise. No shooting, no stabbing, no mayhem. If you get caught it'll only be a night in the brig house and Mr Perryman deducting your bail costs from your share.

I have sorted you out into triplets. Each to give a combination of experience with martial, arcane and rogue skills where possible. As Maggott and Rene built the vessels, they have 'volunteered' also. Better this trial run to smooth out any issues before we put the Bretons to the sword.

Any questions?

The simple canoes are on deck, mottled greeny skin covering the hardwood. From above they resemble pea pods. You are informed the limpet clams are in a comatose state and will awaken, hungry and famished when immersed in seawater. Lock them onto a hull and they nibble away, grinding hundreds of ruminating molars to bore through wood. Each of the canoes has a moniker inscribed upon it.

Catfish: Siggard and Van de Poel and Rene.
Crayfish: Zoggrot and Goldie and Ferrol.
Codfish: Rexlin and Fishy and Alderhay.
Crabfish: Szmodics and Iggway and Fenis.
Coalfish: Pocc and Geoff and Stubble.
Cuttlefish: Shifty & Keegan & Maggott.

I will take any questions or actions. A map of the lagoon will be posted shortly.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Stirling »

Szmodics

"So a dummy run. Team building exercise. All well and good supposing the Gauloise grunts play fair, if you don't mind me saying. Captain, Sir."

He has some reservations, but keen to show his mettle studies the map looking for sneaky water ways, channels only open above reefs at higher tides, swamp creeks, drainage ditches.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Leitz »

Stubble looked at the map, and the routes. It was easy to calculate firing angles, and a little bit of work to lighten his load and strap down gear. He was used to hard work, though the water would be an interesting change.

"No questions, sir." He said. "Sadly, things seldom go according to plan. Let's see what happens."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc listens and looks at the map making sure he understands everything and then replies "No questions Captain."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sig grows a wide grin on his face after the orders are discussed, happy to make a test run before the real bullets fly. He has concerns about the captains plans, but doesn’t express them until he has a chance to see this proposed map.

“Cap’n sir! I assure that team Catfish will not fail you in this endeavor, sir! Now, lets see this layout and continue or planning. These Gauls won’t even know what hit em’, sir!”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Fenis

"No questions sir, we will do you proud."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey accepts his duties onboard the Coalfish.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

Grins at the assignment and adjust his MacGregor's tartan smartly. Sir sounds like a grand outing, Captain Sir.

Pulling aside Team Codfish he leans in. Look... if the worse thing can happen is we get thrown in the brig for a night, I would rather none of my stuff disappears while the so-called authorities have em. I'm leaving everything but my Scimetar and a boot knife here while we are out. Lets goodies, fewer questions. Either way, we also have a long night of rowing ahead of us, so lighter will make an easier time getting there as well as getting the hell out. Let's all go light. No reason for more than what we might immediately need, you know? We'll eat hardy before leaving so we don't need rations.

Speaking of which... Al, I think you should take the first shift rowing, no offense, but we are going to need strong backs to beat it back here, I would rather trust myself to that one in the end. Fishy will take over when you are spent out. Savy?

Shifting topics. Also... keep your ear to the ground for any news where we might get our hands on some bronze cannons.
There's a certain Red Haired arms dealer that has a special job for us if we can get them back to her.

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”