Monte Verde

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Monte Verde

#281 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard panics in all of the blood red chaos. He watches as the monster nearly kills both of his companions, taking lead that would surely fell any normal man. Not only can the thing attack twice, but it is also able to make a lunge towards the door.

The mage knows that his spells are useless in the silence, but he also knows that this monster can not be allowed to escape the room. He has his servant stand its ground, keeping the locks closed as best it can. He does the only thing he can think of that might finish off the snakeman. He draws a dagger and throws it at its head.

Dagger Attack (Thrown) [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19 Damage [1d4] = 2

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#282 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Spearmint wrote:Infirmary raid:

Geoffrey Blood seeks solace from the biting, poison ejecting snakes and the grasping of the dead wight within Iggways' native warded prayer shield. Consoling himself that a divine remedy may be found, the marine listens to the others actions.

Gaston the Wight tries to flee from the presence of the holy men, seeking a solace within the ante-natal rooms. With no where left to run it can only cower and groan, throwing boxes and cabinets out of the way in its attempt to flee the radiance from Padre Claudes' raised symbol. A few snakes strike out at him, latching fanged teeth into his already decaying rotten body. the bloated beast ignores their pain and reaches out to push Elijah out of the way so it can flee into the dark night. wight attack, [1d20] = 9 [1d4] = 2

Once again the dark knight of Poseidon tries to burn the wights flesh with splashes of holy water from his wineskin. Again the wight dodges the stream of holy acid and stands in the foyer. Some mystical force actually binds the wight to the boundary of the infirmary building and despite the wide open entrance doors it cannot leave these premises. With Iggway chanting holy verses in the foyer centre, the beast remains hemmed in and claws feebly at the invisible barriers preventing its escape. It kneels scraping at the floor tiles almost trying to dig a way out.

At the other end of the corridor, Pocc the druid sadly beheads the last cobra. The way is clear to open the vivarium doors but as Captain Lazarus reaches out to open them a long decayed blackened arm crashes through the frosted glass windows and grasps at the pirate. It just misses his neck. wight attack, [1d20] = 3 [1d4] = 4 More glass gets smashed in furious splinters and a large monstrous looking wight stands glaring from demon red eyes at the intruders. Padre Claude comes out from the birthing room. Looking at both of the wights, one withered and weak and another menacing and visibly deadly, he exclaims "Tis the nightmare that struck me before!"

actions please everyone.
Pocc rushes to try and help the captain and tries to sever the hand grasping him. Scimitar [1d20] = 14 to hit, [1d8] = 7 dmg
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Spearmint »

Pachucapatls' Cave:

In the silence of the ante-chamber the cries of pain hissed by the snake man and his tail thrashing against the wooden door, shaking it in its hinges echo silently into the thick air, filled with dust, heavy sweat, musk and the smell of spilt blood. A dagger from the mage, his last option strikes the snake man between his shoulders. Puncturing his heavily muscled flesh, it cuts a spinal cord and with a spasm of release the mans torso folds like a puppet whose strings have been cut. He drops the twin swords that would clatter on the tiled floor but not even a pin drop sound is heard. The snake mans eyes fade and his mouth whispers an unsaid prayer, pale he passes.

Sister Adelaide, is able to grab Holden the bard and minister a prayer over his bleeding body. Speaking in her native Haldanish Adelaide CLW [1d8] = 4[1d4] = 1 she raises her holy symbol and strokes the crimson pirate. Holden resuscitates groggily, the tear in his neck sealing with thick congealed blood. Thankful his veins and vocals are not severed altogether. She calls to the other injured rescuer, Rexlin who slices through her hemp bindings with a slash of the sword."My faith is strong and my meditations may be heard. Coke let me see to your wounds also." Adelaide CLW [1d8] = 1[1d4] = 3 (Holden +5 hp, Rexlin +4 hp)

"My thanks to you kind Sirs, though I perceive you are not of the settlers of Monte Verde."the nun asks eyeing the trio, unsure of who they are. Taking a closer look at the nun you can see she suffered a wound from a club type weapon to her forehead and that her robes are torn. Small prickly thorns snag here and there indicating she must have fled into the forest before her capture. The nun is a human female, about 30+ years of age, short with a few womanly curves, rosy cheeks and long piano playing fingers. Grey streaks showing mixed in with long straight blonde hair. She looks very weak though, very anxious about getting away and warns you about the following.

"I minister to the native community, helping their midwifery. One of the wives of Pachucapatl the tribal chief is expecting to give birth soon. So I was in attendance to help. Their rooms are overlooking to bay, carved into the hillside rocks above us."

"The auditorium is a temple to a resurgent Cult of the Naga Queen. A snake cult taking root once again among indigenous groups across the islands and mainland. Pachuca pays tribute to this creature who is rumoured to lair on another island."

"The warriors are undergoing a 'Ritualistic Ecdysis', though I have not seen this before. When complete Pachuca intends to assault the Mission station and new settler farms."

"The snake man is a 'half-blood' but not like the man with the monkey. " (Siggard is half-elven.) He comes from a race of Orphidian like creatures but much stronger and more evil in their ways. He is an envoy of this 'Queen', I was supposed to be taken as tribute, a sacrificial offering if you like before tonight. Pachuca wants to take others too."

"Pachucas heir, a boy child was in a fight with one of the settler children and after got ill and died."

(The silence spell fills the ante-chamber but you may talk freely without being heard in the other two cave rooms. You may share freely with her and do a casual or intensive search if you wish. It is 7 rounds since you left the communal hut)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#284 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard is surprised that his attempt to stop the snakeman from escaping actually dropped another formidable adversary. Wishing Gin could have witnessed this one as well, the mage walks over to the beast and picks up one of his nasty swords. He chops down with all of his might, attempting to behead the monster. He also chops off the end of its tail, storing both body parts in an empty sack.

He then hands the sword to one of the fighters and gets to work reloading both of his pistols.

"We are vastly outnumbered in here. I think that we need to get the hell out of this place immediately. Sister, have you seen this monster hide or store anything of value or importance in these caves while you were imprisoned in here? Anything we can take from them and use to our advantage will be most helpful to us as we try to make our escape."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin "Devil's Scowl" Dupre

Heaves a sigh of relief as the Snakeman falls. He does feel some relief as the Sister gives him a healing and nods his thanks. He is also happy to carry the longsword Siggard hands over, which he ties to his pack before getting to work reloading Grace and Sonia. He looks over to Holden with concern and walks over to them outside the cone of silence. "The boy looks to be in rough shape.
Is there anything else that can be done for him? Looks like a large mosquito could finish him off on the way back, and it is going to be a rough go to get back to the Abby."
He looks at Holden. "What say you lad. Any jingles you know for patching a wound? You sister? You going to be able to make it back?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

OOC: revising my actions for this round.

Rex will look over the shortsword and toss it aside in favor of keeping lighter. He is afraid he may well be toteing a Holden or a Sister, or a Totem. He binds Grace to his backpack and sheaths his sword for a moment, taking the time to reload Sonia so he can at least have a quickdraw weapon. If everyone is ready to go, he will holster Sonia and pull his sword back out to the ready assuming he doesn't have to support anyone. "We're running thin on time."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Spearmint »

Infirmary raid:

With a spiritual boundary keeping Gaston the Wight from fleeing out into the plaza, binding him by some diabolic umbilical cord to the Infirmary building, the wretch has no place to go. The doom-laden minister of Poseidon reaches out with a divine fiery baptism of Holy Water to extinguish his undead life force once and for all. Elijah begins to intone some 'last rites' as if depositing some dead sailor over the ships prow, committed to Poseidon's deep. the wight grasps and claws at the clerics approach but his fate his sealed as a torrent is poured over his head. burning and writhing the form shrivels and steams. Elijah genuflects a trident symbol and steps back into the warded square."I can chant for a bit now Missy, I seem to have picked up your eloquent tune,"he says to Iggway and then slaps Geoffrey Blood upon the back,"Sing up with me sonny Blood, fill yer mouth with honeyed praise before ye fill your lungs with salt water! I taught that rascally pirate Rex to commit his soul and I'll teach ye Gods divine path also "wight attack, [1d20] = 8 [1d4] = 1
Elijah holy water attack [1d20] = 20 damage [2d6] = 8

"Poor Gaston, he rests at last. I fear Roger my apothecary has met with the same doom from the hand of this fell beast." Padre Claude says. The fell beast in question, a huge incarnated dead warrior with reflective red eyes, pointed teeth and longs bony fingers reaches out, pushing through the frosted panes to grapple with the trio at the end of the corridor. Glass shatters into multiple sharp edged shards but the creature ignores their lacerations in his desire to leech life from his attackers. the padre casts a Light spell, hoping to blind the sunlight hating creature but the beast is able to shake the effects away from its head as the dazzling light erupts in the corridor to chase the shadows away.

Each of the men get stabbing weapons into its body. Captain Lazarus lunges with his drawn claymore, a wicked gut wrenching cut through the ribs, the half-orc Zoggrot twists around the creature and back stabs him with a small silver blade, to the hilt it sinks in
like a hot knife through butter. Pocc the druid draws his crescent blade and scythes into the undead abomination. The wight visible squeals and groans as it clutches his body where the former two attacks pierced him, however though Pocc blades strikes sure and true the undead beast is able to absorb the otherwise deadly blow. Pocc learns to his cost that only magic enhanced or silvered weapons may hurt this creature. It becomes a painful and soul destroying lesson as the creature clutches a grisly boned hand along the scimitar blade and draws the druid within reach. He claws at the druid, an attack that would rend through even the most plated of armour.

wight attack, [1d20] = 13 [1d4] = 2 wight victim z,p,cl [1d3] = 2

next actions everyone,

Sorry GreywolfVT, but Pocc got -2 hp damage and as well receives an energy drain by the wight and there is no saving throw allowed... :cry: as the MM indicates, for many characters that could often be a fate worse than death itself...

Because these monsters exist simultaneously on the normal and negative
planes of the material plane, they are affected only by silver or magical
weapons. This existence allows them to drain life energy levels - one
such level each time they score a hit on an opponent. The creature so hit
loses the hit points of damage scored (1-4) plus one experience level and
all the bonuses derived from that level,

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Zhym »

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#289 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden gasps for breath after almost dying once more, "The mermaids, ahhh so close yet so far", he looks around, "Oh, I am back to the land of the living, thought I was a goner, he laughs.

He turns to Rexlin, "I scared you there huh? Don't fear friend I am more resilient than I look....not really....actually I once almost died from a mosquito bite....but that's another story. I can heal myself but I don't think we have time for that", he stands up and dusts himself off. He turns around and gives a small bow to the sister with a kind smile, "Thank you kindly for saving my life sister, allow me to repay that kindness by returning you to safety", he takes the musket and looks to the others, "We should go"
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Spearmint »

Pachucapatls Cave:

The party of pirate commandos' work in hurried fashion to resuscitate the injured Holden and to prepare their weapons for the escape from the cave. Sister Adelaide is unbound from the rope ties but her feet remain shackled. A search of the headless body of the envoy does not reveal any keys. He wore only a finely woven scale waistcoat, lined with ornate clasps. It has bullet holes in it now and a slash across one side. The only other thing was his thick leather belt and short swords. The blades are extra sharp and resemble a falchion type heavy blade.

Siggard sets to work on severing the tail and head of the snake-man while Rexlin does what a pirate does and looks for treasure.

Inside the third cave room, a stone table serves as some kind of altar. Upon it are two candelabra's made of gold. Each is decorated with a string of necklaces, one a long string of white sea pearls and the other multiple square shaped gemstones. Burning wax drips slowly from almost spent candles. A small wooden ottoman chest lying next to it serves as a place to store native woven blankets. A small statue, carved from coral stands centrepiece, it is sculptured into a snake form but with the head only of a crowned human though the features are grotesque in design. Also placed on a shelf above the entrance is a long wooden paddle with patterned bronzed burnished handles, such as would be used in a canoe. Some kebab skewers are tossed in one corner, the remains of bar-b-q lizard and wild boar with minted jalapenos and fresh beef tomato sprinkled with sprigs of parsley and sea salt. Face finds a juicy strip of uneaten melon to dine upon.

As you prep musket and pistol shot the ante-chamber suddenly comes alive with noise and the wafted scent of smoke. Running outside the tunnel you hear many footsteps hurrying along and several warriors in a rage. One stops at the curtain covering the door and bangs on it, shaking it in its hinges. "My pardons for disturbing you Sir, some huts are enflamed and we chase the intruders in case more of the wolf people are about. How is the she creature?". A face tries to look through the gaps in the door to peer within.

Actions please.

[img]
envoys cutlass.jpg
envoys cutlass.jpg (91.3 KiB) Viewed 378 times
[/img]

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

Quickly stuffs the jewels into his pack and on seeing no key, he picks up the shortsword and begins to wack at the chains to free the sister. I just need to know what you want me to roll here.

When thr commotion starts outside and the voice begins asking questions at thr door, Rex leans in to speak to the sister. "Quick! Pretend your being raped! Make some noise! He isn't going to want to disrupt that monster of a boss of his. Just do it! "

He will also move to the door ready to club him with whatever is left of the shortsword.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#292 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden quickly takes the beheaded beast's sword. He hears Siggard's plan and nods, he casts Ventriloquism.

He speaks with an angry voice imitating the floating head's original voice, "Get the fuck out of here!! Can't you see I am trying to have fun here??? Whatever you miserable bastards got yourself into deal with it, and stop making so much noise!!
Last edited by thesniperknight1 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#293 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard can see that the nun is unwilling to feign being raped. He looks over to Holden and shrugs, hoping he has something better up his sleeve. He whispers to the bard.

"Can you make this thing sound like it is telling them to piss off and to go handle the fires themselves?"

The mage holds the head up to the door at the height he thinks the beast would stand normally and waits for Holden to work his magic. He cracks the door slightly hoping Holden understands what he is trying to do.

The astute mage also tries to notice everything that Rexlin stuffs into his pockets.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#294 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc backs up realizing he feels less experienced and casts a spell realizing his weapons wont help the matter. The sea druid casts shillelagh and makes to strike the Wright with the magical club.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Spearmint »

Pachucapatls Cave:

The native warrior peering through the gaps between the door frame and cave wall gets a shock as a slitty reptilian eye leers back at him."Get the fuck out of here!! Can't you see I am trying to have fun here??? Whatever you miserable bastards got yourself into deal with it, and stop making so much noise!!" Siggard makes the severed head, blood still dripping in sploshes at his feet look menacing enough with the thrown vocals of bard Holden to cause the warrior to step back and bow at the door. Before retreating further and pulling the curtain to he informs the envoy, "Chief Pachucapatl has passed several warriors through the Rites of Ecdysis, they will hatch soon as they awake from being swallowed. Your attendance will honour the braves before they go to fight." The warrior steps away though his footsteps head up the tunnel towards the auditorium temple. (attempt at persuasion saves [1d20] = 2)

Sister Adelaide
makes a few short steps, her shackles dragging on the floor. despite whacking the chains hard, the wrought casting remains strong and the lock pinning the manacles to her ankles remains steadfastly closed. She can move unaided but at half speed.
"I may slow you down, please save yourselves and bring news of my departure to Padre Claude so they may light candles in my remembrance and pray faithfully for my soul."she says despondently.

The Unseen Servant, has his fingers on the door bolt, waiting for the command to open the door. Rexlin has loaded his pistols, sheathed his scimitar and carries a musket fixed with a large bayonet. His backpack bulging with the goods taken from the stone altar. Face passes round pieces of banana flavoured lead shot to Siggard. Holden grasps the handles of the envoys sharp blades. (Next actions please).

you can plan your actions in the ooc planning thread and so keep this free for what your character actually does next.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#297 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden thinks seriously about Rexlin's plan, The one legged nun....that would make an interesting song, but she would probably die , none of us are doctors, he turns to the sister, Sister, can't you transform? I mean you're a werewolf aren't you? Can't you claw your way out of these chains?

He goes to Siggard, "Can you tell your invisable friend to scout the way and if it's clear?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Spearmint »

Infirmary Raid:

wight attack, [1d20] = 5 [1d4] = 2
Pocc druid Shillagh club [1d20] = 5 damage [2d4] = 4
Claymore melee [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 damage [1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9

wight attack, [1d20] = 5 [1d4] = 2
Claymore melee [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9 damage [1d8+1] = 1+1 = 2
Zoggrot, attack with silvered dagger [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6 damage [1d4+3] = 2+3 = 5
Zoggrot, attack with silvered dagger [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4 damage [1d4+3] = 4+3 = 7
Pocc casts Faerie Fire

wight attack, [1d20] = 8 [1d4] = 2
Claymore melee [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9 damage [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4
Zoggrot, attack with silvered dagger [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20 damage [1d4+3] = 2+3 = 5 Zoggrot, attack with silvered dagger [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23 damage [1d4+3] = 1+3 = 4

The battle with the large wight continues by the vivarium doors. It becomes a struggle of life and death and undeath as the beast snarls and rages at the pirates assaulting him. Oblivious to the divine commands of Padre Claude to 'turn and burn'the decayed wretch reaches out to strangle life out of his assailants, (well actually Pocc who try as he might assails him not) It attacks groaning unearthly words to summon their spirits to rise as undead vassals under his command. The fight at close quarters is frantic as the melee continues like thus:....the wight grasps at Pocc after he summons his coral club to batter the wight. Zoggrot fails with a stab attack, the Captain stabs him with his trusty claymore. The wight attacks the captain who misses his melee attack and from behind Zoggrot the half-orc has a half-hearted stab and stab again into thin air. Pocc casts a highlighting spell, the place is already blazing white from the padres light spell but the traced outline around the form of the wight make sit so much easier to hit. The wight attacks the cleric, missing again before Zoggrot finally gets the hang of things and critically guts the beast, spilling entrails and innards out onto the tiles floor. (with two good hits and another bloody death to his name, Zoggrot can describe the action...)

During this time, Elijah has taken over intoning blessings in the candlelight square to ward an other evil spirits from entering. Padre Claude with Iggway following and Geoffrey grasping hold of his shoulder decide to enter the health clinic office (the top right hand room) "Beware another such creature may be lurking, Roger died herein."warns the padre. The office door is slightly ajar, peering inside you can see a curtained window that has been broken, the glass lies in splinters on the floor. At the far end of the room stands a large cupboard, in one corner a large wooden desk covered by a mess of thrown books and litter. Several motionless snakes have been gutted and eaten, their skins tossed around the room. It is dark, silent and still, a decaying smell and foul odour leech from the cupboard whose door creaks slightly in the night breeze. Entering the room, holy symbols raised the trio advance cautiously.

Suddenly the cupboard opens and a large skeletal figure rushes at them, clattering boney feet upon the floor. Padre Claude is quick to raise his holy symbol and call divine curses down upon the creature. The skeleton falls prone at his feet. Startled the padre curses profoundly realising too late a trap. The padre attempted to turn a medical skeleton form the cupboard, one used in lessons. The skeleton has no 'unlife' and is suspended on a thin wire, rigged to pull it free as the doors open. The state of surprise and confusion is all that Roger the Wight needs as he springs from a hiding place under the desk to grasp at the intruders.

wight attack, [1d20] = 18 [1d4] = 3 Roger strangles life and energy from the wilting cleric, clawing at his throat and raking his body with savage slashes. (Padre Claude suffers the same fate as Pocc, losing a level of experience).

actions please everyone.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#300 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard gasps at the words of Holden. The mage has picked up on several hints to the lycanthropy problem on this island, but he hadn't deduced that this woman herself was inflicted. He curses this mission of lies and looks wide eyed to Holden and then to Rexlin.

"If she is a damn monster, maybe we should just leave her here to her own fate. Why would we help her escape if she is just going to turn on us in the end?"

He shakes his head in a complete loss now and then speaks to the woman again.

"Do you even want to be saved? Or, is your fate here something that you look forward to? If you know where the keys to your shackles are, or some other way to release you, speak up now! I will not risk another second of our lives to save a creature that could change herself into a monster at will. Start talking woman......if you actually want us to help you. Every second we waste in here is bringing us all closer to being skinned alive by these snake loving animals."

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”