All aboard: Captain Lazarus.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: All aboard: Captain Lazarus.

#221 Post by Spearmint »

Okay, still Zoggrot can roll over to the leakage and try to plug that, maybe ' taking one for the team' as a few leeches try to latch on to you. With your huge frame, you probably squash a few, give me a d4 roll.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Zhym »

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Stirling »

Szmodics

4 rounds of action if in melee? So like this?

"Arrgh! You ¥©π@#," calls out in Haldanish as he is stabbed by Zoggrot. He crawls a bit more forward and takes a swing at the leeches.

Round 1)

Dagger attacks [1d20] = 3 [1d20] = 10 Damage [1d3] = 2 [1d3] = 2

He flails at one bloodsucker, trying to pin him to the rocks.

Round 2) he flails some more... :?

Dagger attacks [1d20] = 1 [1d20] = 2 Damage [1d3] = 1 [1d3] = 3

Round 3) roll away if he can to the leakage: Hard skill role [4d6] = 16

Round 4) if still alive hammer the rivets in place.Hard skill role [4d6] = 15.

I feel Szmodics is on the edge in a dark place.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey doesnt take kindly to the continued insults, and brings his sword around so as to stop the warring dwarf once and for all.
Long Sword [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 ; damage [1d8+1] = 6+1 = 7 sm/md ; [1d12+1] = 6+1 = 7 Lg
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Inferno »

Elijah Crowthorn, ancient mariner:

Old Eli barks with wild eyes and foam flecked lips, "Mad dogs ye be! Obey ye Captain, ye craven scalawags, and man ye posts!"

The old salt throws Plighty the key to his jail door, and swings wildly again with his trident to keep the men at bay.

Trident: to hit: [1d20] = 5, damage: [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#226 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway Shaman looks cautiously at the Butcher, she reaches out to accept the gift. She studies the symbols and responds, Thank you Vayne, but are you sure you want me to carry it? Will you not be going onto the island? Iggway's holy symbol from Yanauluha is a Lightning Bolt striking a snake, she wears this on a leather cord around her neck. She lifts her symbol and shows it to Vayne.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin "Devil's Scowl" Dupre

See this is getting out of hand, the fight is taking too long... He presses the advantage as the dwarf is distracted and raises his scimitar high... some would say recklessly... over his head and brings it down with his full strength. A bearish growl escapes his clenched teeth as he feels his sword bite into flesh and bone.

[1d8] = 8

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#228 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden pretends to be out of breath holding his knees, his face facing the floor.

He casts Audible Glamour creating an ominous calm voice coming from the four walls with a faint echo as the voice seems to be slowly moving from one corner to the other, "What hath ye done in my name, besmirching and plotting the murder of my messenger", the voice grows a bit tlouder with a hint of wrath in it, "leave him be afore I tear thy ship asunder"
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Spearmint »

In the Bilge

Leech attach and suck vs Szmodics [1d20] = 2 [1d20] = 5 [1d20] = 15 [1d20] = 7

Leech attach and suck vs Zoggrot [1d20] = 15 [1d20] = 19

Szmodics , as he says flails about, all too wildly, missing the slow creeping leeches who arch backs and sticky maws to get a grip on his bleeding leg. One attaches successfully and though you feel no stabbing or biting pain you watch the leech begin to feed. Sucking blood up it pumps up its body, swelling as it feeds. -1hp

Zoggrot ditches his dagger, instead rolling over the creatures to get to the leakage. Two leeches get splattered and squashed by your frame, two more latch on to your legs as you crawl by. You would have not noticed them feeding on you -2hp were it not for flailing Szmodics knocking his lantern over against a ballast rock. Piercing the glass, the oil leaks out in a slick fiery pool, splashing on the stones. It burns to crispy shrivels several leeches and reveals momentarily a gaunt dry husk bearded figure lying prone by the far prow.

the fiery oil will remain lit for one further round before it burns out.

Rico, snarling behind you at Szmodics incompetence, gets to the leak along Zoggrot and try to fix the pitch matting and board in place.

Hard skill check [4d6] = 16

You can both give me your next action.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Zhym »

Zoggrot immediately sets to fixing the leak. The water pressure fights him, but the strong half-orc has fought stronger things than water in his life.

Fixing a hole (18): [4d6] = 17 [4d6] = 11 [4d6] = 12

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Spearmint »

Below Decks

Elijah prods away at the mob which appears to be growing but he keeps them at length. the brig keys are on the fallen guard. Give me a hard 4d6 vs dex roll to lift the keys off the belt with the trident prongs. Roll under 6 and you will inadvertently stab the guard instead.

Holden falls to his knees, giving space for his opponent to advance on Elijah. He stops to lay hands on him as a loud voice, seemingly echoes around the room calling him to desist."My messenger, messenger, ger, ger, tear thy ship, ship, ship, asunder, der, der.".

Taunt skill save vs spells [1d20] = 6 [1d20] = 11

rolled save vs spells at a disadvantage due to your taunt skill. The mob, looked around at source of the voice. Finding nothing except a wild stared man clothes in fishnets and righteous anger. They turn to leave save for the musket man who pulls a trigger.

Musket fire [1d20] = 12-1 short range.

Iggway looks at the holy symbols. The Caduceus you recognise as similar to a larger one kept in the Monte Verde chapel. With the predominance of venomous snakes on the island, you may wonder what protections folk are endowed with, not all have the same racial blessings as natives have. Vayne offers you the icon, "sure, I'll set foot on the island if Capt' wishes though with the pox around, he might just pick and choose a few...survivors. Don't worry, Captain Lazarus will get your priest I'm sure."

Just then you hear two shots ring out, one from below and another from the steps above. A sailor falls in front of you, a wound to his back. Mr Simonsen descends the stairs, smoking pistol in hand."By the gods, I'll have all your scurvy backs whipped if you don't attend the cannons. Vayne, see to this wretch."

The mob attacking Elijah run headlong upstairs to deck, except the musket man who stands below. Elijah may sigh a big sigh of relief as a musket ball whizzes past his ears to lodge into the brig door.
Old Plighty, relieved too that the door withstood the penetration, "the keys, the keys, I'll stick my stump in his rump," he calls excitedly.

next actions please...before the whale comes for Elijah... ;)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Spearmint »

Above Deck

Pocc man's a cannon, taking several rounds to load and fire.

Siggard hurls his 'boomstones', prepares a spell and has time for another action if you wish.

Rexlin and Geoffrey , combine to stab the heart and back if the aggressive dwarf. He clutches his chest and falls to the ground, blood leaking from savage wounds. He is dead. You both look at each other on the stern deck wondering what you have done and any consequences you may face. Sailors in the rigging turn away to go about their tasks as several men mount last minute reinforcements to man the cannons. At about 100 yards starboard, a whale lifts a bloody head above the surface, flips a tail and like a fat, blubbery torpedo, heads towards the McGregor's Revenge.

all three give me an action please. There are four cannon if you could separate and fire at the whale if you wish. You will fire at short range but the Captain and Dogger have gunnery skills so the track us 1d20+1 damage 3d6.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey sees the commotion over the side, and feels the rush to help more so than the consequences of helping Rexlin kill the aggressive troublemaking dwarf.

He'll move to a cannon, but I dont quite understand your comment about separating. If we are all on separate cannons, how would we be using the captain's bonus to hit?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Spearmint »

Normal cannons at short range are -1 to hit. The target number us 12+. Capt' Lazarus and Dogger (the gunnery Sgt) both have +5 gunnery skills. They may add that +10 skill to all the cannons under their command and the other crew average +1 each so I rounded that up to make a +2 to hit bonus. So d20+1 overall. There are four cannons each side, so join a crew each and make the roll. If you all join the same cannon, you might load it quicker but not have the same to hit bonus. See weapons and armour section for notes.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Inferno »

Elijah Crowthorn, ancient mariner:

Seeing the rabble flee, the old salt doesn't risk injuring the guard. Instead, he picks up and tosses the key to Plighty and then charges the musketeer before he can reload.

"Get up now, lad!" he cries to Holden as he rushes the gunman. "Be ye that cravenly?! Get up! Ye've nothing to fear! Did ye not hear the mighty voice of Poseidon himself, lad?! My god will protect ye!"

;)

In case he can attack this round:
Trident: to hit: [1d20] = 1, damage: [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin "Devil's Scowl" Dupre

Looks at the dwarf and then to Geoffery grimly as she wipes his scimitar off on the dwarf's shirt before swashing it back in his sash. Grumbling to himself he rushed over to man a cannon. Listening to the cues of the higher up and using a bit of instinct based on his knowledge of firearms and the recent practice, he loads, aims, and fires!

[1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 [3d6] = 11

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#237 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden barely hides his chuckles at the fleeing pirates, and when Elijah encourages him, he plays his part, "You speak true old man, with your god by our side, no one can stop us"

He lunges at the musket man to try and tackle him to the ground, "You first sought to throw him to the sea as a sacrifice, now you seek to simply fill him with holes? Do you even know what you're doing?"

Initiative: [1d20] = 6 , Tackle: [1d20] = 18
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Stirling »

Szmodics

Appears not very good at this pirating lark and being bled to death in the bilge doesn't seem such a heroic end. While the orcboyz fix the ship, Szmodics will try to detach the sucking leech. I am thinking if it didn't bite or sting it has some kind of antiseptic to numb with. Maybe the medics could study the creature? Can I peel the creature off with my blade or dabbing my blade in some fiery oil, use that? I left my wineskin in the bunk.

If the peeling works, I can use my other dagger to lift them or stab the ones attached to the legs of the others.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey attempts to assist the cannoneers he has rushed to, hoping to show he can hit objects other than fellow deckmates.

cannon [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 ; [3d6] = 12

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#240 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard is deathly afraid of the cannons after seeing all the one legged crewmates on board. He stays as far away from the business end as possible.

After preparing his spell, he looses it as soon as he sees the whale breach.

He tries to send his Magic Missile spell directly into one of the beasts big black eyes, hoping it will deter it from coming any closer.

MM [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2 :o

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”