OOC comments, house rules and questions

lab mix
Scout
Scout

Re: OOC comments, house rules and questions

#21 Post by lab mix »

Pulpatoon wrote:No, torches count as a single item. Anything with a usage die counts as a single item.

It would make more sense to have resources take up slots based on the size of the usage die, but I'm fine with simplicity winning out over realism, when it comes to encumbrance.
Gotcha, thanks! It seemed like torches might follow a different rule since each one has its own usage die (vs. something like arrows where the whole batch has a single die). I certainly prefer to group them together, though! (I've never liked the idea of listing "torch-torch-torch"-etc. on a character sheet...and have never had it come up where someone wants to carry two dozen torches or whatever...)

Vile
Scout
Scout

#22 Post by Vile »

I would have thought that 6 torches count as a single item for encumbrance purposes, given how they're listed on the equipment table. Perhaps a question for Mr Black?

cmrsalmon
Tracker
Tracker

#23 Post by cmrsalmon »

Agreed, let's play the rules as written for now, (anything with a usage die counts as 1 item, regardless of the die or the size of the items) however much sense those rules make re encumbrance.

I'll get the two new guys up and running - by all means read their stuff, or don't, if you want to avoid mild spoilers.

lab mix
Scout
Scout

#24 Post by lab mix »

All sounds good; thanks!

Vile
Scout
Scout

#25 Post by Vile »

I guess this counts as the official answer from David Black over on G+ (although, as ever, the referee has the final say):
I use torches individually, but allow players to carry up to 6 in a 'slot'.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Pulpatoon »

That'll do!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks for letting me join in after the adventure began. My character is posted, though I have a couple questions before he is totally done.

Are arrows included in the single handed weapon we start with? Maybe at d8 or d6 level?
Do we just assume we have some sort of knife with us or is that bought as a single handed weapon?

Thanks.

cmrsalmon
Tracker
Tracker

#28 Post by cmrsalmon »

I think if your starting weapon is a shortbow, that should come with a "free" quiver. Else you'd be at a disadvantage.

I think anything sharper that a butter knife would need to be paid for as a single-handed weapon, if it is to be used as a weapon, because weapon damage is determined by class in TBH.

If the knife is just to be used for whittlin' etc, then it could count as "work tools", i.e. 2gp.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

cmrsalmon wrote:I think if your starting weapon is a shortbow, that should come with a "free" quiver. Else you'd be at a disadvantage.

I think anything sharper that a butter knife would need to be paid for as a single-handed weapon, if it is to be used as a weapon, because weapon damage is determined by class in TBH.

If the knife is just to be used for whittlin' etc, then it could count as "work tools", i.e. 2gp.
Work tools it is then. Small hammer, skinning knife, etc.

What does the +2 mean next to backpack? That a PC can carry two extra items without disadvantage?

Vile
Scout
Scout

#30 Post by Vile »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
cmrsalmon wrote:What does the +2 mean next to backpack? That a PC can carry two extra items without disadvantage?
Yep, a backpack allows you to carry STR+2 items.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I have no issue with lab mix joining us. So far we only have rocks on us.

When reading the rules this looked like it would be a tough system. So far that seems right. Now I wish I had gone with a cleric.

cmrsalmon
Tracker
Tracker

#32 Post by cmrsalmon »

Pulpatoon wrote:Could Aldus make, oh, say, a craft roll or something to see if the knots he tied in the rope provide any benefit for the climbers?
I figured maybe a +2 bonus for the knotted rope, no roll needed, but as lab mix unfortunately rolled a crit fail, Ezra wasn't able to benefit.

mjulius
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by mjulius »

With only a 1/6 chance of death, I'd thought The Black Hack might be a little nerfed. Hmm. Not so much. Ezra, I hardly knew thee.
Wither Whither
Citizen Lich, Level 2; Hit Points: 5
STR +2/12 DEX +3/13 CON +1/11 INT +6/16 WIS +2/12 CHA +3/13

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Pulpatoon »

Poor Ezra!

Fortunately, we have a whole chain-gang of potential replacements just above our heads. The Imperials just need to grab the next fool on the line and push them toward the hole.

lab mix
Scout
Scout

#35 Post by lab mix »

Well, that escalated quickly.

Thanks for the sympathy for Ezra, y'all; I'll try to be a bit more careful with the next character. (Eh, maybe.) Sorry to alert the molekin down in the cave to your arrival! Maybe you can at least make use of some of Ezra's gear. (Although...my money roll was pretty bad, too, so there's not a lot to choose from...)

I appreciate the shot at joining in with a new adventurer...will get that rolled up soon...!

Vile
Scout
Scout

#36 Post by Vile »

Sorry to see you go, Ezra!

On that note, I am heading out to Japan for a week, starting tomorrow. I'll try to keep up my daily posts, but if I am AWOL at an important turn of events please take over! Siegfried is a bit uncouth and quite rash, that's all you need to know. :lol:

lab mix
Scout
Scout

#37 Post by lab mix »

Vile, enjoy your trip!

I've posted the basics of a new character (Marsha, another cleric) in the character sheet thread. Just need to figure up a little background (e.g. if she also follows Tawmis); she's ready to join whenever the chance arises!

EDIT: Oh, her chargen rolls: http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... ts&pc=3858

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Pulpatoon »

So, to be totally upfront about it: Aldus just stole 3 GP that really should have been divided among our meagre party. This is a classic dick move on the part of thieves that typically spoils everyone's fun except the jerk playing the thief.

I did it because it seemed like the action of a man who is in over his head and doesn't know who to trust yet. This will change as he gets to know the rest of the party. I promise he won't be trying to nab everyone's gold throughout the operation. And, rolls aside, feel free to call him out on it.

cmrsalmon
Tracker
Tracker

#39 Post by cmrsalmon »

No judgement here. The universe remains coldly indifferent to the faults and foibles of men.

The gods, on the other hand... ;-)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

cmrsalmon wrote:The gods, on the other hand... ;-)
Surely you meant to say "dice." :P

Return to “Distant Peaks (Black Hack)”