Price of Freedom: Chapter 2: Your Own Private Idaho

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Price of Freedom: Chapter 2: Your Own Private Idaho

#1 Post by max_vale »

About 10 miles outside of the town of Milner, Idaho; 11:45 AM, Tuesday, 16 June, 1987

The two trucks carrying the 6 Rebels pulled into a clearing off the side of the road about 10 miles outside of the little town of Milner, Idaho where Billy Barstowe's older sister Elizabeth 'Beth' Shaw (Divorced, but kept her ex-husband's name) lived with her 18 and 16 year old sons; Kevin and Matthew. Beth was a high school English teacher and if the Radio Free America broadcasts were correct; here little town might soon or already be under Soviet occupation due to the existence and activities of the so-called 'First Free Idaho Brigade' which had arisen in this State and already launched attacks against Russian outposts.

The freedom fighter band from Oakland, CA had encountered several signs that the 124th Motor Rifle Division was indeed in the area….and advance elements might already be at Milner; or they might be hours or days away….it was hard to tell. The decision now was how to approach the town…..in cars, armed and ready to fight or run at a moment's notice or quietly on foot….

Billy remembered that Milner was a small, rural town in wooded mountains from his few times visiting in the past; and in particular he remembered a cave, well-hidden by woods about 2 or 3 miles from the center of town where his sister's house and the school she worked at were located. It was a cool, summer day in the high elevation of south-central Idaho and it was easy to forget about the fact that for the past month and a half the nation had been occupied by a foreign army….

ottarrus
Scout
Scout

Re: Price of Freedom: Chapter 2: Your Own Private Idaho

#2 Post by ottarrus »

[Check my post in the OOC]

Milner is just off I-84 on the Snake River almost exactly equidistant between Boise and Pocatello.
Idaho has three major population clusters... To the North in the panhandle is Coer d'Alene [koor duh-layn], which is just over the state line from Spokane WA. About 100 miles of that is Boise /Nampa... Potato country. East of there is Idaho Falls /Pocatello. In between Boise and Idaho Falls is the famous Sun Valley ski area, and about 50 miles South of Sun Valley is Milner.

As the pair of vehicles head in towards the Idaho border, Yo is becoming more and more concerned about the rumors of Soviet forces already in Idaho. Is this Radio Free America thing just bait to trap the Resistance? Again, he's concerned about staying too close to the Interstate highway system because the Sovs can EASILY use it to section off whole regions of the country in order to suppress resistance fighters and indoctrinate the population.
At the last meal break before the team expects to arrive in the Milner region, Yo approaches Billy...

Billy, man, I got an itchy feeling about this. You got your sister's number or some other way to get into contact with her? We don't want to come into this thing blind and get ourselves bagged by being stupid.
-- Carl Hicks Jr.
Price of Freedom:
Yojiro 'Yo' Akiyama
DEX: 2d+2 [Guns 4d, Dodge 3d]; KNOW: 2d+2 [Survival 4d]
MECH: 3d+2 [Drive 4d, Navig 5d, Commo 5d]; PER: 3d+2 [Search 5d, Hide/Sneak 4d]
STR: 2d+2 [Brawl 3d, Stamina 3d] TECH: 2d+2 [Electronics 4d, Computer Opn 3d]

CATN:
Ivan Erwin, Uplifted Ape UPP C7A895
Belter /Free Trader
Skills: Brawling 2, JoT 2, Navigation 2, Pilot 2, Vacc Suit 2, Computer 1, Engineer 1, Gun [Rifleman] 1, ZG Environment 1

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#3 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

I've tried calling her a couple times so far, but no luck. I'll give her another call if we can find a pay phone, let her know we're near and make sure there isn't any trouble.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Dram »

Saul- 3 of us should take a overwatch position for a while. See if there is any enemy movement in town. Billy, myself and another.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

ottarrus
Scout
Scout

#5 Post by ottarrus »

Dram wrote:Saul- 3 of us should take a overwatch position for a while. See if there is any enemy movement in town. Billy, myself and another.
Yo nods his agreement.

Sounds good. I'll take a turn at OP. I think that an Asian stranger walking into to town might be a little conspicuous anyway. We got any binocs to go with the rifle scope? I don't think we'll see a whole lot of troops. If the Commies were way the Hell back at Modoc and spread out to here, they must be spread pretty thin.

[/ooc] I did ask for a set of binoculars in character generation, Max. Didn't hear back.]

Depending on what we see, how do you guys want to do the approach? Billy, does your sister live in town or out a ways?
-- Carl Hicks Jr.
Price of Freedom:
Yojiro 'Yo' Akiyama

CATN:
Belter /Free Trader
Skills: Brawling 2, JoT 2, Navigation 2, Pilot 2, Vacc Suit 2, Computer 1, Engineer 1, Gun [Rifleman] 1, ZG Environment 1

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"I think that people are still allowed to move about rather freely. Maybe I wander through town, go to a diner, see what's up?"

Jenny winks at Saul and Yo. "I definitely don't look the part of a fighter"

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by max_vale »

About 1 mile outside of the town of Milner, Idaho; 12:15 PM, Tuesday, 16 June, 1987

The band of freedom fighters drove a bit closer to the town of Milner and then pulled thier pickups off road and into some heavily wooded cover and Yo shimied up a tree with a pair of binoculars to check things out. What he saw was NOT encouraging. At least a full company of Soviet Motor Rifle troops; complete with BMPs and many trucks stationed around the small, square-shaped town had clearly occupied the town and a large gathering of civilans was going on, with people being herded into the building that Billy had identified as the Public High School. To make matters worse, a road block hastily set up by a squad of troops and backed up by a pair of T-72 tanks rumbled into the road behind them; meaning that there would be no easy drive out of the area; at least for now...

At this point, Billy was rather frantic to learn about the fate of his sister and Jenny's idea to perhaps walk into town to learn more was growing more appealing. Perhaps Billy (since he was the only one familiar with the town AND could identify his sister and/or nephews) could accompany Jenny as they did their little 'recon'; or perhaps they could wait for nightfall. Deacon*, unsure of how best to help, mentioned that he'd be willing to join the pair in walking into town or stay help and help cover them; whatever seemed best….

*I have not heard back from Dogma, so for now I'll run Deacon as an NPC while I'm searching for a new interested player to take over the role.

To clarify things; there's probably somewhere around 100-150 troops in the town with about 20-25 vehicles total including a couple of tanks; about a dozen BMP armored personnel carriers and another 10 or so Trucks in Soviet Army paint.

ottarrus
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by ottarrus »

max_vale wrote:About 1 mile outside of the town of Milner, Idaho; 12:15 PM, Tuesday, 16 June, 1987

The band of freedom fighters drove a bit closer to the town of Milner and then pulled thier pickups off road and into some heavily wooded cover and Yo shimied up a tree with a pair of binoculars to check things out. What he saw was NOT encouraging. At least a full company of Soviet Motor Rifle troops; complete with BMPs and many trucks stationed around the small, square-shaped town had clearly occupied the town and a large gathering of civilans was going on, with people being herded into the building that Billy had identified as the Public High School. To make matters worse, a road block hastily set up by a squad of troops and backed up by a pair of T-72 tanks rumbled into the road behind them; meaning that there would be no easy drive out of the area; at least for now...

At this point, Billy was rather frantic to learn about the fate of his sister and Jenny's idea to perhaps walk into town to learn more was growing more appealing. Perhaps Billy (since he was the only one familiar with the town AND could identify his sister and/or nephews) could accompany Jenny as they did their little 'recon'; or perhaps they could wait for nightfall. Deacon*, unsure of how best to help, mentioned that he'd be willing to join the pair in walking into town or stay help and help cover them; whatever seemed best….

*I have not heard back from Dogma, so for now I'll run Deacon as an NPC while I'm searching for a new interested player to take over the role.

To clarify things; there's probably somewhere around 100-150 troops in the town with about 20-25 vehicles total including a couple of tanks; about a dozen BMP armored personnel carriers and another 10 or so Trucks in Soviet Army paint.
Yojiro will describe everything he sees to the team.

Deacon, get on the radio for Free America and see what they're saying about this shit. Shit just dropped on Milner, guys. They got way too much in town for us to fuck with, that's for sure. The way our old G2 told us, every company of Sovs usually has a political officer, what they call zampo-somethin'. The guy's job is political indoctrination and morale, but they also got some intelligence functions. Kinda wondering if these guys are having the 'come to Jesus' meeting with the locals, letting them know the rules of occupation n' stuff.
One thing is for sure... we're gonna have to be Goddamn careful at night now. You just know that they're gonna impose a curfew and I'm pretty sure those tanks have infrared sights. I don't know about the Bimps though.
-- Carl Hicks Jr.
Price of Freedom:
Yojiro 'Yo' Akiyama

CATN:
Belter /Free Trader

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Dram »

Saul- It may be best to wait a while and see if they release the townsfolk from the high school. That we can watch their movements. We can look for a weak spot in their security. Je looks up the tree at Yo. You able to stay for while Yo?
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Scott308

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

I am really leaning toward Jenny and I wandering into town to try and make contact with my sister. If I spot her or the kids, I'll have you approach them, Jenny. I don't want them to see me and make a scene that could draw attention from any Soviets that may notice. If nothing else, we can walk over to the house and hope they are home. We'll need to wait until everyone is able to leave the high school, otherwise they will definitely notice us. I don't like the idea of going in unarmed and with no way to contact you guys, but I think it is too risky to try bringing in a walkie- that wouldn't be something the townsfolk would be likely to have and I don't want anyone taking a close look at us. Maybe I can bring one and leave it hidden in the woods so we have access if needed, but won't draw attention by having it in town. Deac, as much as I appreciate the offer, I think for right now it will be tricky enough just getting two of us into town. We can at least pretend to be a couple, but adding you to the mix makes it a harder sell.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

ottarrus
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by ottarrus »

Dram wrote:Saul- It may be best to wait a while and see if they release the townsfolk from the high school. That we can watch their movements. We can look for a weak spot in their security. Je looks up the tree at Yo. You able to stay for while Yo?
Yeah, I'm good Saul. We're gonna need somebody on our six for security.
-- Carl Hicks Jr.
Price of Freedom:
Yojiro 'Yo' Akiyama

CATN:
Belter /Free Trader

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Nuke66 »

Raffy adds his comments. "It looks like we're gonna be here for a while, I'll look around for a decent place to hole up while we get this sorted out."

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Dram »

Saul- Yo have you seen any weaknesses in the perimeter that these 2 can get into town with a walkie? When you get into town with the walkie turn your hat around so that we know made it in with it. Then Saul has a idea. Do we have anything that looks they were on a picnic or camping.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by max_vale »

In and around the town of Milner, Idaho; approx. 1-2:30 PM, Tuesday, 16 June, 1987

As Deacon gets on the radio with the 'powers that be' in the budding Resistance Command the rest of the group decides that Yo, Saul, Deacon and Raffy will stay in the woods near town and keep a close watch on Billy and Jenny as they wander into town with no weapons, playing the part of a couple on a long stroll through the great outdoors. With less than 200 troops, the Russians can't possibly keep the place under total wraps; so getting in and out SHOULDN'T be that difficult. At least…that was the theory….

Deacon returned to the group with word that a Milner resident; one Jeremiah Hays; was monitoring the town from a cave in a nearby hill about a mile outside of the town and he was the one to see about the details of what exactly was going on. General directions were given and Yo and Deacon would meetup with Hays while Saul and Raffy kept a watch on 'the couple' going into town….

Billy and Jenny walked hand-in-hand into town and in a matter of moments, they were spotted and nervous-looking Soviet troops pointing AKs at them soon had them herded into town with most of the rest of Milner's residents; who were slowly being brought into the central town square as well. A Russian NCO with a thick accent asked in broken English what their names were and Billy told them with a straight face; "James Bond and Connie Chung"; drawing a half-incredulous and half-annoyed look from Jenny, but getting no response from the Soviet SGT. Directed to join the rest of the town's population in the square, the two soon found Beth Shaw; Billy's older sister, who let out a gasp of surprise and quickly hugged her brother before suddenly shoving him back and asking him what the hell he was doing in Milner. Billy quietly and quickly gave her the low-down and she filled him in on what had been happening here…

4 days ago; the 1st Free Idaho Brigade…..a resistance group made up of maybe 350 souls, most of them bored farmers or all-balls-and-no-brains highschoolers and college kids with nothing better to do; came through town and thier leader; 'General' Benjamin Arnold; a bona-fide war hero…from WW2…made a speach about 'giving the reds hell' and Beth's sons Kevin and Matthew joined in before she could stop them and the next thing she knows; 'Benny's Bastards' hit a Soviet convoy and a few days later the town is occupied. Kevin had just graduated high school and Matt was all of 16…needless to say; Beth was terrified about what was going to happen to her sons. Soon though, everyone had to hush as a Soviet officer made his way to stand in front of the town's gathered population with a megaphone….

A middle-aged man of middling height and a tired face; turned the megaphone on and spoke up in accented but pretty good English. "Citizens of Milner; I am Major Geboshnovik and I will be taking control of this town in the name of your government. By the authority of the Act of Occupation 16-A, I hereby declare the town of Milner to be under martial law. That means I have the power of life and death over every one of you." He pauses as his weary-but-hard eyes scan the crowd. "I know that a group of seditious terrorists recently came through your town and received some aid from some of you. This will NOT happen again. ANYONE found helping those who would bear arms against the legal armed forces of the state will be executed."

As he finishes saying this; a young girl, perhaps 18 or 19, is dragged over towards a nearby Stop Sign on the main road through town and right in front of the gathered population of Milner. Beth gasps and says; "My god, that's poor Lindsay Shaeffer. She just graduated and her boyfriend Eddie ran off to join the 1st Free Idaho Brigade. She's a sweet girl…"; her worried words are cut off and in sinks in to everyone that the bruises and scuffed clothes on poor Lindsay CAN'T be a good sign…

Geboshnovik pulls a piece of paper out of his jack pocket and holds it up high; it is a flyer with the logo of the 1st Free Idaho Brigade and a message reading; "BETTER DEAD THAN RED!" The Major speaks up again; "This propaganda was found on your fellow citizen here and she has admitted to having received it from her lover, a terrorist who has joined up with those criminals calling themselves 'the First Free Idaho Brigade'. This is the price of those that carry such propaganda or aide terrorists"….

He nods to a group of 4 Russian soldiers who raise AK-74s and fire bursts at the poor dazed and cuffed to a Stop Sign teenager. The thin, 2 inch wide signposts offers little protection and the poor girl is shredded and falls to the ground; still bound to the stop sign…..

Many in the crowd gasp in shock; others wail and cry and still others shout insults and get angry. A platoon of Assault-Rifle and Machine-gun wielding troops; backed up by tanks whose turrets swivel to point in their direction though quickly silences the crowd. Geboshnovik speaks up again; "We are not here to destroy you. We have a job to do and orders to follow. If you do as your directed, you will be in no danger. In a moment, you will be directed to return to your homes. My men will come around to each home and ask some basic questions. If you possess any firearms or religious books or icons; you will turn them over to my men. If you comply with all instructions; no harm will come to any of you. Now, all of you are to disperse and go home except for those whose names are about to be read aloud. Those read aloud should report to the school."

With that, the Major leaves and another officer speaks up, calling out about a dozen names; which include Beth Shaw and 'James Bond' and 'Connie Chung'. Billy, Jenny, his sister and a few others are led to the school gymnasium where a group of cots has been set up; along with a table holding some bread and cereal. A Soviet soldier says they are all to stay here for the night and they will be interviewed in the morning. The locker rooms serve as showers and bathrooms and a detail of 4 Russians are left as their caretakers; 2 inside the gym and 2 right outside the double doors leading outside. Billy and Jenny quickly note that in addition to the double doors leading outside and the door leading into the halls of the school; there is a high window that could be reached by climbing the bleachers……if the 2 inside guards could be dealt with/distracted….

Meanwhile, Yo and Deacon quickly follow the directions to where the radio told them they could find Jeremiah; and sure enough, they soon found a well-hidden cave entrance on a hill that had a good view of Milner and they started to make their way towards it when they heard the distinctive sound of a pump-action Shotgun being racked….

"Well now…what do we have here?"; an old man with a whiskey-soaked voice asked and they slowly turned to face a man in his mid 60s with a long white beard holding a 12 gauge on them in a very steady grip. His eyes harden a bit upon seeing Yo and he rather rudely asks; "Are you one of the good ones? I fought your kind in World War 2 on New Guinea…..and then again in Korea…I ain't looking to do it again." Upon Yo telling him whats-what; he nodded and lowered the Shotgun. "My name's Hays; Jeremiah Hays and I reckon you fellas must be the ones the guys on the radio were telling me about. Well, follow me"; and he takes them to his cave, which is much larger and more comfortable than first glance would suggest.

Inside, a home-made 'ham radio' set up is obvious, along with a hand-cranked power generator and lots of food stored for a long stay in the cave if necessary. In addition, an unconscious young man lays on a makeshift bed of blankets and furs; with dressings for several bullet wounds in his torso slowly soaking through. "This young buck is Jose Mendez…one of Benny's Bastards; fighting with the so-called 1st Free Idaho Brigade. He got wounded, bad, in a dust-up with some Soviet troops the other day and he was left for dead. Luckily for him, I found him and dragged him up here and I did what I could for his wounds. I'm not sure if he'll make it
or not; but with the Soviets moving into town in force and if what I'm hearing from the Russians on the radio is true; things aren't looking good for his friends either".

Seeing Yo and Deacon's looks; Jeremiah explained; "In World War 2 I was an infantryman…and I was again in Korea…but there I was wounded and after I recovered, they moved me into Intel. That's where I learned how to break codes, understand Russian AND how to listen in on the Reds radio channels. The cocky sumbitches haven't changed things much; so I've got a damn good idea of what they've been doing and what unit is where." At this, he takes out a stick and draws in the dirt. "See, the 1st is in the thick woods near Borah's Peak here and the Reds have moved a Motor-Rifle Division into the area to bottle them up. They're on all sides now; so it's only gonna be a matter of time until they start squeezing tight until Benny's poor bastards are squashed like a fruit." Jeremiah 'fills in the map' a bit more and soon Yo and Deacon have a decent idea about the surrounding area. Telling Hays that they will return soon, they head back to Saul and Raffy's position to find out what's been going on….

Saul and Raffy anxiously watched as Jenny and Billy made their way into town, letting out breaths of relief that nothing bad happened to them and glad to see Billy make contact with his sister. They were dismayed to see the poor girl executed; but while they could certainly pick off ten, maybe a dozen Russian soldiers from thier position; what could they do against the 15 or more BTRs and quartet of Tanks that were in town….not to mention what the troops could do against the massed civilians…..

The crowd was soon dispersed; but Saul and Raffy were again frowning in anxiety as Billy, Jenny and Billy's sister were led into the school and out of sight. They moved to the tree line across from the doors that opened into the gym; seeing a pair of Russian troops take up guard positions outside of it. Long minutes passed by as the two debated what to do. They were soon joined by Yo and Deacon, who filled them in on what had transpired with Jeremiah. Everyone hoped that young Jose would regain consciousness with enough clarity to fill them in a bit more on the current status of the 1st Freed Idaho Brigade; but the more pressing problem now was….how to get Jenny, Billy and Beth out….

*See attachment thread with map of the area….note Milner is to the North West of Borah Peak.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Dram »

Saul- Looking over the town. Things are not looking good. Guerrilla warfare will be our best tactic here.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Nuke66 »

Raffy agrees, "The key point would be to take out the tanks, that can be done fairly simply provide one can get underneath them, we don't need to attack them head on. Sever an oil line and the engines will lock up inside a minute. We'd just need to get to them." The sneaking mechanic offers.

"Eventually, lopping the head off of the snake would go a long way."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Connie Chung? Really? Real smooth James Bond."
Jenny introduces herself and makes sure everyone has their stories straight.

"Is there any reason they singled us out? What do we have in common?"

Scott308

#18 Post by Scott308 »

James Bond, aka Billy Barstowe

I'm not sure why they wanted us, but we don't really have a solid cover story. I'm afraid once they start questioning us, we're gonna be in a world of trouble. We need to get out of here, and I have a plan. First, we need to get anything we can possibly use as a weapon. They aren't going to be great, but the plastic knives and spoons are better than nothing. They should do a heck of a lot of damage to an eye. Beth, I hate to get you involved, but we need you to be the distraction that gets the two guards away from the door. We'll have you lie on the floor of the bathroom, somewhere away from the door to try and keep you safe. Connie will have to go to the guards and tell them something happened to one of the other women. You'll really need to sell it. I'll be hiding in the men's locker room. Keep talking to the guards, whether they are answering or not, doesn't matter. After they get into the locker room, I'll come from behind and tackle them. At that point, we'll be fighting for our lives. Try to target their eyes, try to get their knives, anything we can do. If we can get their guns away, great. Whatever happens, we can't let a single shot get fired, or we'll have more than just the two guards to deal with. At the very least, we have to knock them both out, but I would rather kill them. I don't think the Sovs will be any easier on the people in town if we don't kill them, so there's no reason to leave two able bodied soldiers alive. Now, if we don't succeed, there is a good chance we don't make it out of the gym alive. If we do, we may wish we were dead or we'll be made examples to keep everyone else in line. If either of you aren't comfortable with this, we don't do it. Now, having said all that, do either of you have any ideas or suggestions? Beth, are any of the other people in here with us someone who might be willing and able to help?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by max_vale »

In and around the town of Milner, Idaho; approx. 2:30-11:00 PM, Tuesday, 16 June, 1987

Inside the gymnasium/prison; Billy and Jenny find that they are 2 of 11 prisoners. In addition to Billy's sister Beth; there are the devastated and nearly numb George and Lisa, parents of the executed Lindsay Shaeffer. In addition there is the father of Lindsay's boyfriend Eddie who had joined the 1st Free Idaho Brigade; one Allan Johansen. Obviously they had been tossed here due to thier children.

A tough Lakota Sioux trucker by the name of John Ironhorse who had served in the Marines in Vietnam along with an Army vet by the name of Anthony 'Tony' Delvecchio seemed to be here because of thier time spent in the military while the Reverend Randal Tomlin would seem to be in the prison because of his religious affiliation. Cindy Csarnoski wasn't really sure why she was here, other than the fact that her parents had fled from Czechoslovakia when they were young but Cindy had never even left the state of Idaho.

The last person in the makeshift prison was town drunk Ken McCall; a large man who had been a star high school Football player some 20 years ago but had never really made much of his life and frequently spent whatever money he earned doing odd jobs around town on beer and whisky.

Billy and Jenny talked among the rest of the prisoners and it was agreed that some kind of breakout was the way to go. After having to diffuse a fight between the father of Eddie and the parents of Lindsay once they snapped out of thier depression; the going was much easier and everyone thought it best to wait for the night. Long hours crept by and bowls of cereal were eaten and naps were taken…or at least faked…..before the hour grew late and the two guards were clearly having a hard time keeping thier eyes open.

At that point; Billy; with John and Tony's help; quickly tackled the two guards to the ground while Allan and George quickly fell on thier heads to muffle any shouts and in a matter of moments they were both knocked unconscious. The two Soviets were quickly relieved of thier AKs and other gear and cautiously, the door to the outside was opened. Two guards could be seen outdoors, one of which was leaning against the wall, snoring as the other half patrolled, half stumbled his way around and it was a fairly simple matter to once again knock out both men and drag the bodies to the tree-line, where Saul and Raffy met them, nearly causing a fire-fight to start right then and there…..and then much information was shared between the re-constituted parties….

Saul, Raffy, Yo and Deacon had been about to launch thier own rescue mission when they saw the prisoners slip out and overpower the guards themselves. Moving to meet them, they quickly dragged the two outdoor Soviet soliders into the woods and then shared what they knew from talking with Jeremiah. Saul thought a trip back to Hays cave to talk to a hopefully conscious-this-time Jose might be a good idea while Billy thought it wise to have the new escapees; minus his sister Beth who insisted on coming with them; make for the mountains themselves. This was readily agreed upon and giving the group the 4 newly aquired AKs (John, Tony, Allan and George each took one); it was at this point that everyone realized that Ken McCall had slipped away….to where, no one knew….

Wary of possibly being sold out; Saul encouraged the rapid split-up of the group and the other prisoners quickly went thier own way to the wooded mountains south and west of town while the Freedom Fighters went to Jeremiah's cave. Here, they found Hays alert as ever and a conscious, but obviously still in a bad way Jose Mendez sitting up in his make-shift cot….

Jose filled them in on the situation…..that the 1st Free Idaho Brigade, hiding in the woods near Borah's Peak; was basically hemmed in between the APCs of the 124th Motor Rifle Divison's 3 Motorized Infantry Regiments located to the North, East and South of thier position and the Tanks of the 124ths one Tank Regiment to the West of them; all along Route 93; spread out from Challis to Milner to Darlington.

There was more though. In addition to the 124th; a group of 4 Russian 'Hind' gunship helicopters; each one bristling with Machineguns, Anti-tank missiles and Rocket Pods and capable of carrying a squad of 8 troops; AND a pair of 'Hip' Troop transport helicopters; each capable of carrying an entire platoon of 32 soldiers had occupied the Rescue airfield located at the town of Chilly. These choppers had just begun search missions and they would be sure to attack any signs of the 1st Free Idaho Brigade and/or bring troops to anywhere they moved too.

The 'breakout plan' that Jose had been a part of; was supposed to have figured out a way to destroy the Mackay Dam; which would then flood the whole valley along which the lower part of Route 93 occupied and hopefully disrupt the Soviet armor enough to allow the 1st Free Idaho Brigade to utilize the various canoes, rafts and small fishing boats of which they had in plenty; to row thier way out through the gap in the line. 'General' Arnold had had the foresight to dig a cache of weapons and equipment located a few miles away near a Hunting Cabin known as 'the Widow's knees'; which stored a large amount of explosive which could be used to blow the dam. Jose's group though had been shot to pieces by the helicopters, with only young Mendez surviving….barely...

Obviously, the major problem with this plan was; the helicopters; situation to the north of the Mackay Dam; would NOT be impacted by the flooding and they could easily destroy the resistance groups in thier boats. Mendez looked at the young Freedom Fighters with his sad, tired and hurting eyes…..obviously hoping they might take up the mission...

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Dram »

Saul- Looks over the fighters left from the Free Idaho Brigade. If your meaning for us to destroy the dam. It would have to be a simultaneous attack hitting the Hinds and the dam at the same time. Planting explosives on the helo's near there fusalodge shall ground them. If there are any better ideas let me hear them.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Return to “Price of Freedom”