Price of Freedom: Chapter 2: Your Own Private Idaho

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Price of Freedom: Chapter 2: Your Own Private Idaho

#121 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

Anything you need me to do to help Saul, just let me know. In the meantime, he will help Jenny pick up their wounded companion and carry him down to the water.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by max_vale »

Town of Chilly, Idaho; approx. 3:35-5:30 AM, Friday, 19 June, 1987

The four Rebels paddled down the river in the middle of the night, doing their best not to flinch at every shout, every light beam that came near them and praying that the star-shells that were occasionally fired off here and there into the night would continue to fail to illuminate them. By some miracle....they did...

After about an hour of paddling south on the river towards the Dam; they found a small clearing where there was some thick underbrush and lush trees with a small clearing behind it which would hopefully shelter them while providing enough space for Jenny to work on Saul's wounds. The veteran soldier had passed out by this point, which was probably for the best as the one-time nurse realized that he had no less than 4 bullet wounds, and 2 of them almost certainly NOT passed through his body, which meant she would have to dig them out....

An exhausted Billy and Raffy finished paddling and helped muscle the canoes, with all of the explosives still packed on board, onto the shore and hid them in the brush; and then helped bring an unconscious Saul to the clearing where Jenny waited with her med kit. Stripping off the big man's shirt, she called upon every bit of her skills learned as a Nurse and more than a little hope and prayer to successfully cut out two bullets, clean and stitch up his wounds and wrap them with much of her remaining bandages. When it was done, she let out a sigh, stretched her aching muscles and smiled at the anxious faces of her two conscious companions and told them; "Well, I think he's gonna live....though he'll be weak for awhile". With that, they all fell back and relaxed for a little while, aware that dawn was coming very soon; but a bit tired to try and figure out what to do now. Obviously, they knew they still had to blow the dam; but after the crazy day and night they had just had....it was a bit impossible to think very far ahead....

OOC: Saul is back to Wounded status (i.e. -1D for all actions)....but he also has some stitched up wounds which will require some CAREFUL moving and taking it easy as he risks re-opening the wounds and reverting to INCAPACITATED status. Should be interesting considering there's still a bridge to blow
:)

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by Nuke66 »

Raffy comments, "I got this here roll of gorilla tape, You could romove those bandages, cover the stitches, and tape over them. Not the cleanest, but at least it would help the risk is tearing open."

He reaches into his backpack, and pulls a small roll of 3" wide black tape. "Here, when we are ready to go, tape him up. Shit works wonders, that's why I carry it."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny
"Let's take a few hours of rest, then we should really get moving to the dam. I'll take watch for a bit, try to get some rest."

She looks at Raffy and the tape. "Nice idea. It's going to hurt like hell coming off. Let's give him a few hours of rest and then I"ll gorilla him up."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by max_vale »

Town of Chilly, Idaho; approx. 5:30 AM-10:30 PM, Friday, 19 June, 1987

The rag-tag foursome of freedom fighters; exhausted after their night escapades of destroying helicopters and then canoeing downstream; finally succumb to their exhaustion and while they try to keep an alert watch during the day; without Saul to keep them properly disciplined; they all promptly fall into a deep sleep in their hiding place on the river bank.....

Eventually in the late afternoon, Billy wakes up and he then proceeds to wake up Jenny and Raffy as Saul twitches and sweats in his half-sleep/half-unconscious state. Jenny takes the time to change and clean his make-shift bandages and then then, per Cabrera's suggestion; she proceeds to 'gorilla' tape him up, which brings him back to the here-and-now*....

A LOT of noise can be heard to the East; including vehicle engines, artillery fire and small-arms fire. Saul thinks it means that the Soviets believe that the helicopter destruction raiders must have come from 'Benny's Bastards'; who are hiding in the woods and mountains in that direction. It also spurns him into getting the canoe back into the river and taking it downstream to their final destination; the Mackay Dam; which they need to blow to allow those same 'Bastards' to have a chance to escape while flooding out the Tanks and APCs of the 124th Motor Rifle Division as the 'First Idaho Brigade' used their canoes and boats to paddle away....

They slowly and quietly paddle down the Big Lost River to the Reservoir behind the Mackay Dam; and the tower and dam slowly become visible as the day is coming to an end and night is starting to fall. Paddling the canoes over to the edge of the river, the freedom fighters keep a sharp eye out and watch for signs of Soviet troops as well as take in the situation. Due to the curvature of the mountain; it was difficult to see much of the dam itself from their position, but the small, two-story observation tower was clearly visible, as was the road that ran across the dam, and a big squat, BMP-1 APC was parked there with a Soviet soldier leaning against it, smoking a cigarette. Saul told them that a typical BMP-1 had a 2 or 3 man crew and could carry an 8 man squad of troops in the back. It was armed with a 73mm main gun in a turret along with a machine gun mounted side by side to it in the turret and an anti-tank missile could be fired from a rail on top of the main gun; though it would have to be manually reloaded by an exposed soldier to be used a second time....

Close observation over the next hour or so showed the silhouettes of several figures in the Tower; and an occasional soldier that would come out and relieve whoever was outside at the BMP keeping 'watch'. It was soon clear that they're weren't more than 10 troops at the site and that they were clearly quite bored and not paying much attention. Still....canoes on the river would be HIGHLY visible in the day-time, so Saul suggested they wait until it got dark.....

Soon, it was the dark hours of the night, and with it being fairly cloudy, there was little light from the stars or the quarter moon. The Rebels set off in their pair of canoes, soon rounding the mountain to see the dam in all its glory and a small inlet where they could beach the boats and climb up to the tower nearby. That was the good news......the bad news was that the dam was NOT made out of concrete like they expected, but rather was made out of a massive pile of gravel and dirt. There was no one spot they could pant the explosives and blow it up.....the question was what to do now?

Ever practical, Saul figured, they had to take out the Soviet squad no matter what before they figured out where to go from there. So, the rebels stealthily climbed up where the mountain-side and the dam met and they were soon on the level ground where they could see a Soviet Soldier with an AK slung across his back, casually leaning against the side of the BMP perhaps 20 yards away while the door leading into the Tower was perhaps 10 yards away from them. They could tell there were more Russians a level up inside the Tower....

*Saul has a 'Wounded' status...i.e. -1D for all actions...

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Dram »

Saul- What is our grenade count? You could drop a couples of grenades into the BMP, and at the same time someone snipe the guard.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by max_vale »

OOC: Looking at the Character sheets; Saul and Billy each have 1 grenade each. There are also a dozen cans of ameotol (explosive); a dozen blasting caps; two spools of wire and a pair of plungers loaded in the canoes.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny

"I like the idea, but let's circle back to the dam problem." Jenny looks around at the group. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but blowing up a gravel wall is a lot different than a concrete one. Maybe we need the firepower of the BMP?"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Dram »

Saul- If we could figure out a way to get them all out of the BMP without them being on the alert.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by Nuke66 »

"Or, hit both the BMP and the tower at the same time. Last couple of grenades though. Or pick off the BMP guard silently, and wait for the next one to come out." Raffy offers up as a couple of ideas.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by max_vale »

OOC: No one is in the BMP; it's parked there and clearly brought the squad of troops that are either patrolling along the outside of the Dam or are in the control tower.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by Nuke66 »

"Or, I could go take out that guard and commandeer the BMP to blow the tower." Raffy says as he pulls out his knife and presses the button. He cassually plays with the exposed blade, demonstrating a little bit of expertise.

Scott308

#134 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

I like that idea, Raffy. Maybe wait until just after the guard gets relieved, that way we'll have the most time before someone comes out of the tower. I can keep an eye on the tower, and if someone does decide to go out and take a piss or something, I'll take him out. Hopefully, that won't be necessary. Maybe we should have a back-up plan just in case things don't go smooth. Do we have any gas, maybe the Sovs have something we could use to try and set the first floor on fire if we need to, so nobody can get down the stairs without danger of catching fire, or having to jump from a higher floor.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#135 Post by Nuke66 »

"Alright, let's time the next guard duty rotation, then I'll head out. I know the BMP weapons now, and once the guard is down, I'll blow the tower. Then I can empty the rounds into the dam, then place the bombs, blow them and let the water do the rest." Raffy adds.

Scott308

#136 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

Billy will pick out a spot where he can lay prone and provide overwatch with his rifle. Somewhere he can see anyone coming out of the tower, but also the guard at the BMP just in case Raffy's plan doesn't go, well, as planned.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny

Approves of this plan. She too, pulls her weapon and looks for targets. She will spot the far side of the dam.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by max_vale »

Town of Chilly, Idaho; approx. 10:30-11:00 PM, Friday, 19 June, 1987

The four freedom fighters decide to wait for the next shift-change in guards to make their move. Saul gathers the pair of grenades the group has left while Raffy readies his switchblade, Billy readies his Rifle and Jenny her AKSU and is about to move around Billy and the mountain side after Raffy takes out the guard....

At about 11 PM, the guard outside ditches his last cigarette butt over the side of the Dam as another Soviet trooper opens the door to the Tower and calls out a greeting to him. From the inside of the Tower, sounds of music....some kind of American rock'n'roll can be heard, as can laughing and a feminine giggle which the Rebels were NOT expecting to hear. Then the inside noise cuts off as the two Russian soldiers pass each other by and the newcomer, with an AK slung on his back walks around the edge of the BMP to stare out over the moonlight playing across the water and the Tower door shuts behind the other soldier who is now inside. Raffy, quick as a fox, moves fast and quiet with his switchblade at the ready....

Raffy manages to stealthily move into perfect position behind the unsuspecting soldier and with a lunge, he manages to wrap a hand around the man's mouth with his off-hand while the other plunges the switchblade high into his chest in a rapid one-two-three sequence of stabbings. The man's terrible screams/gurgling was muffled by Raffy's hand, but just as he collapses with blood pouring out of his fatal wounds, the door from the Tower opens and the Soviet soldier who had gone in just moments before emerged with the annoyed look of someone who had forgotten something and his eyes lock with Raffy's for a long second of shock and surprise....

The Soldier eventually let out a curse and goes to get his slung AK into action when the crack of Billy's .30-06 rifle carries over the night and the Russian drops back to the ground; opening up the not-quite-closed door to the tower with a high-powered slug in his chest and a look of horrified astonishment on his face. His hand convulses on the trigger of his AK, sending a burst of rounds ricocheting off the ground and into the Tower's lower floor and abruptly sounds of astonishment and a feminine scream are heard emanating from the inside of the Tower.

Raffy curses, drops the corpse in his hands and darts around to the far side of the BMP, keeping its metal bulk in between him and the Tower door; as Jenny, Saul and Billy, from an awkward position some 10 yards from the Tower and BMP on the 'ground level'; but somewhat covered by the face of the mountain keep their weapons at the ready....

The sound of a Tower window being smashed open from the inside and some of the glass falling to the ground and tinkling then echoes into the night and a moment later the sound of a long spray of fire from an RPK light machine gun is heard by the Rebels as the fire wildly dances across the armored hull of the BMP and into the ground nearby. Raffy flinches back from the fire and noise, as does Billy; but neither is hit and the BMP and mountain side protect both from the Tower's angle of fire. Saul, Billy and Jenny realize that from their position they can attempt to shoot up and into the Tower, but this will expose them to fire from the enemy; as will attempting to rush into the still-open-because-of-the-second-Russian-soldier's-corpse-doorway some 10 yards away*.....

*The distance can easily be covered in one round; though, it WOULD expose them to enemy fire....as would having either Raffy or Billy/Jenny/Saul fire at the Tower.....though firing from either the Mountain Wall or BMP positions still gives the firer cover. Only 1 of the mountain group can fire....the other(s) can rush towards the door in the same round as someone fires though....and from the setup in earlier posts; I'm assuming the current positions of each with Raffy at the BMP and then Billy, followed by Jenny, followed by Saul at the mountainside.

-Raffy CAN attempt to climb up onto the top of the BMP to get into it OR around to the side facing the Tower or the rear (also where the Tower has an angle) where the hatches into the BMP are.....but the side he is on means he is protected.....from small-arms fire....though NOT necessarily a well-placed grenade or RPG....if they have any....

--Two Soviet soldiers are down for the count.....leaving up to 8 more....PLUS whoever the woman (women) are inside

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#139 Post by Nuke66 »

Raffy figures hell with it, big brass ones, and concentrates on his memory of the BMP hatches (spending a hero point) as he decides he wants in! He moves to enter the machine and moves straight to the gunnery position. Second guessing his first plan of action, he decides to target the lower level, not the upper floor, before squeezing the trigger.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Dram »

Saul- Any of you got a good arm? We could try and put one of these grenades through window.

Saul would do it. Using a hero point, but in his weakend condition it problably not work.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Return to “Price of Freedom”