Price of Freedom: Chapter 1: Oakland Bridge is falling down

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Price of Freedom: Chapter 1: Oakland Bridge is falling d

#81 Post by max_vale »

Approximately 5:17-5:20 PM, Friday, May 1st, 1987; Middle of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge; Oakland, California

Billy Barstowe helped Jenny Ling to his truck, wincing and hissing in pain from his own bullet wound as Jenny did the same. He placed his Rifle in the back and helped her into the cab on the passenger side before moving around to the driver's side as well….

Jenny Ling, with Billy's help, eased into the passenger side of the pickup truck, doing her best to ignore the soreness and stinging pain from her bullet wound. She began mentally going over how she would treat hers, Deacon's and Billy's bullet wounds when they got off the bridge and blew it up behind them...

Deacon carried poor Lisa's body to the back of Barstowe's pickup truck and gently laid her down in the back as he yelled for Raffy to get to the car as he climbed into the driver's seat of his Oldsmobile with a hiss of pain from his wounds as he impatiently waited for Cabrera and Saul to join him….

Raffy Cabrera put a couple of bursts from his M-16 into a couple of still moving Russian soldiers and then reached down and snatched up an unfired AK and a spare banana clip from a fallen Soviet before Saul came racing around the other side of the bus, yelling about more incoming troops and the need to get out off the bridge so they could blow it. Deacon's yells for the same thing reached Raffy's ears about the same time and the young man shrugged and moved to the Oldsmobile and tossed the American and Soviet assault rifles in the back before climbing in as well….

Saul Silverman snatched up the loaded RPG and the 'backpack' case with 2 extra rockets and raced around the bus to yell to his companions to get in the cars as it was time to roll out and blow the bridge before more Russians arrived. Saul saw Raffy slide into the back of Deacon's Oldsmobile as Hays got into the driver's seat while grunting in pain. Silverman pulled out the detonator as he climbed into the front passenger seat and was about to say something to Hays when the loud CRACK of cannon fire echoed over the bridge and a good section of the wrecked bus the Soviet soldiers had been on suddenly exploded. Glacing out the window, Saul saw a BMP* APC on the far side of the bridge a few hundred yards away with a smoking cannon in its main turret clearly having been the source of the shot.…

*Saul would know that a BMP Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) has a crew of 3 and can carry a squad of 8 troops in the rear and is armed with a tureet mounting a 73mm Cannon (which just fired); a Medium Machinegun and an Anti-tank missile launcher rail on the top of the 73mm Cannon (which has to be manually reloaded, exposing the APC crew) which holds just 1 missile at a time. These APCs aren't particularly fast (they're on treads), but they are Armored and with the possible exception of the RPG he just picked up; there's not really a weapon in the group's arsenal that is likely to pose a threat to the BMP

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Dram »

Saul- Seeing the BMP. It is time to go NOW!! Saul runs to the back of the pickup truck climbs in the box. Loads a RPG. Barstowe you go last! If that BMP makes it off the bridge I will have to use the RPG. Once the truck is just about to clear the bridge he will set off the detonator.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny quickly turns around at the sound of the blast, vision blurring as the pain from her chest washes over her.

She manages to croak out to anyone nearby "That's not good at all"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#84 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

Not wishing to get any more examples of what the enemy vehicle is capable of, Billy nevertheless follows Saul's directions, waiting for Deacon's car to leave, so he can follow. Hammering the gas, Billy rides the bumper of the Olds, trying to clear the area so the bridge can get blown, sending the atheist commie bastards to a Hell in which they do not believe.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by max_vale »

Approximately 5:20-5:22 PM, Friday, May 1st, 1987; Middle of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge; Oakland, California

Deacon hurridely climbs into the driver's seat of his Oldsmobile as Raffy tosses an AK in the back seat and hops into the passenger seat and the former cops slams the gear into Drive while flooring the accelerator as soon as the doors are shut. The tires make a terrible squeal and smoke is soon rising from the burnt rubber treads and in his rear-view Hays can see Billy's pickup truck following them, with ice-water-for-blood Saul in the back pointing an RPG back towards the bridge and the BMP….

Billy anxiously looks over his shoulder as Saul jumps into the back of the pickup, crouching next to poor Lisa's body while Jenny pulls the seatbelt tight across her lap in the passenger side of his truck and hissing in pain. The young muscian ignores his own pain as he sees/hears Deacon's Oldsmobile take off like a rocket and when he hears Silverman slam the back gate shut on the truck and crouch down, he takes off as well. A moment later he sees what looks like yellowish bolts of light zipping his way in his rear-view mirror and he realizes that these must be tracer rounds from a machine-gun, fired from the BMP and arcing thier way towards his truck. He violently yanks the steering wheel over, sending poor Saul down flat on his back, but it works as the machinegun fire misses the truck and just chews up asphalt on the road and pits of metal and stone on the side of the bridge…

Saul saw the BMP's turrnet angle towards the fleeing vehicles and the co-axial machinegun starting firing, its tracer rounds zipping to within ten yards…then five yards…then three yards from the truck and he was aiming the RPG toward the vehicle when young Barstowe yanked the wheel hard-over and avoiding the incoming fire but sent him sprawling flat on his back in the truck's bed, and causing him to almost drop the RPG. Doing his best to ignore the pain from the back of his head, which had hit the metal of the bed from that fall, he sat up and quickly took a gander at where they were and where the BMP was. The BMP was smashing thru the rear end of the bus and Deacon's Oldsmobile had cleared the bridge and Billy's pickup truck was just about to. Silverman took up the detonator and with a fierce, feral grin he mashed down on the button; triggering a massive explosion that dropped the middle of the bridge; the smashed up bus and most importantly the BMP into San Francisco Bay!

Mission accomplished…..the question now, was what-next for the Freedom Fighters?….

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Dram »

Saul- HOOAH!! Excellent job Billy! Get around Deacon so that we can find a safe place to take care of our wounded.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by Dogma »

Deacon smiles with grim satisfaction as he watches the bridges collapse in his review mirror. Weaving through a few abaondoned cars, he pulls in behind a stalled delivery truck to give them some cover.

"Come on Raf. We need to get everyone patched up and figure our where we go from here." And figure out what to do with Lisa's body he though to himself.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#88 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

Billy pulls his truck over near Deacon's car and gets out, a big grin splitting his face. Wow! I mean, I knew the bridge was gonna blow, but wow! Saul, if we make it through this ok, I want you to do pyro for my band! That'd be fuckin' awesome!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Dram »

Nuke66 wrote:Raffy helps load the injured as they return to the base

I believe the base is on the other side of the bridge.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny does her best to stabilize the walking wounded."I need medical supplies, guys."

"Thanks for getting Lisa, Deacon. She always spoke highly of you... I just... I just can't believe she's gone."

Return to “Price of Freedom”