Ghast Carrion Stench

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Ghast Carrion Stench

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Question that I don't appear to see any answers too in the books but a Ghaust emits a 10' radious carrion stench that causes players to roll save v poison with a -2 penalty but once the monster is defeated does that still take place is my question? The way I looked at it was no as the thing may be defeated however it's body will still have that stink to it and the stench will still radiate. Though this makes it more of a challenge to the players to find a way to get to the thing in order to search it or bury/burn the body.

What is everyone else's take on this? Even though it is defeated this is more of a characteristic rather than a power that i can willingly enact or disable when still alive in it's undeath.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Ghast Carrion Stench

#2 Post by dmw71 »

That's an interesting question. This may help:

Concerning a ghast's Stench (after death), Stench (3.5 vs Pathfinder), and Paralysis [closed]
Hey I Can Chan wrote:"On the stench of destroyed ghasts
Absent text to the contrary, this GM assumes effects like a ghast's stench continue indefinitely, and a destroyed ghast nonetheless remains a ghast. So, for this GM, in the same way that a dead red dragon remains immune to fire, a dead ghast remains stinky, and the previously unaffected rogue that decides to go through the destroyed ghast's pockets risks suffering the effects of the ghast's stench. Another GM's opinion may differ as this perspective requires considering some long-term campaign implications (e.g. building fortresses from destroyed stone golems so the fortress gains the golem's immunity to magic).

On the ghast's stench as a poison
It looks like the ghast's stench is no longer a semi-poison as it was in D&D 3.5e. Interestingly, the third-party sounds-sort-of-like-ghoul ghul has the supernatural ability exhalation of death, which is affected by spells countering poison.

On paralyzing elves
A ghast's supernatural ability paralysis says, "Unlike ghouls, A ghast’s paralysis even affects elves," but that doesn't mean it'll affect other creatures broadly immune to paralysis like a duergar."
This was also an interesting discussion: Stinkers. It starts off a little "silly," but it does turn more serious with some interesting (albeit subjective) experiences.

I don't know enough about the ghast to know whether their stench is natural, or through some power they have, and would probably require the edition to be able to research/consider properly since I'm sure there's some variance.

Absent other thoughts, though, I would be willing to accept the above answer.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

All good input Dave. I'm also getting some feedback on my Google + communities as well. Based on everything I have read for 1e and 2e a Ghasts' stench is essentially a natural characteristic not something that it can turn and off essentially it's a characteristic of it just like the ghoul's paralysis, though the way the monster manual works it a Ghasts' stench is a save v poison roll or essentially the character in it's stink aura retches. Along with a Ghasts' paralysis special attack it does have that worded to effect elves and other creatures that are normally not effected by such from a Ghoul. In some means they make a Ghast out to be a "greater" variation of a Ghoul looking essentially the same as one.

Here is a quote from the 2e D&D MM:
Ghast
These creatures are so like ghouls as to be completely indistinguishable from them, and they are usually found only with a pack of ghouls. When a pack of ghouls and ghasts attacks it will quickly become evident that ghasts are present, for they exude a carrion stench in a 10’ radius which causes retching and nausea unless a saving throw versus poison is made. Those failing to make this save will attack at a penalty of -2.
Worse, the ghast shares the ghoulish ability to paralyzation, and their attack is so potent that it will even affect elves. Paralysis caused by a ghast lasts for 5-10 (4+1d6) rounds or until negated by a priest’s remove paralysis spell.
Ghasts, like ghouls, are undead class and thus sleep and charm spells do not affect them. Though they can be struck by any sort of weapon, cold iron inflicts double normal damage. Clerics can turn them beginning at 2nd level. The circle of protection from evil does not keep them at bay unless it is used in conjunction with cold iron (such as a circle of powdered iron or an iron ring).
I just essentially ruled -2 penalty because the character is retching essentially it is very hard to fight while retching everywhere. ;)

However after combat is over essentially they still have to roll the save if then go near the defeated ghast, I hadn't fully decided if over time the stench would dissipate or not. Since nothing really said what happens after defeated. So the above is good help it appears I get mixed replies some folks say that perhaps over time the stench would dissipate like 6 hours or more later. I'm thinking it doesn't go away and just gets worse as the ghast begins to rot further. So ideally really you want to search in now then burn the remains or bury it. Certainly don't want to leave it just lying around.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by hammerHead »

Interesting comments.

I could go the other way with this. One doesn't become paralyzed touching a destroyed ghast or ghoul for that matter. Perhaps the stench is a consequence of the ghast's version of undeath. On this understanding, future rot (after slain) would be an additional source of stench, but perhaps no different than any other slain creature decompose.
Rules:
Midlands: https://lowfantasygaming.files.wordpres ... -10-16.pdf
Shroom: https://mega.nz/#!uSBHWIJD!vxDZlE_dOoua ... N1vbDqqu1E

Hradian the Rogue: The Midlands [LFG]
Ritbert the Bold: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Thanks for the additional input/insight hammerHead

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by hammerHead »

Sending it back the other way, the head of slain medusa certainly kept its full effect...
Rules:

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Yeah that is where my dilemma enters the scenario. Similar with some other monsters as well. Some effects last even after they are dead or defeated. Others do not.

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by hammerHead »

These elements of continuation whether magical or just matter of fact point to other uses and recycling. Potions are well represented and inks as well, but what could be done with the salve of the dead ghast, for example. A poison as was suggested perhaps or in hands of an evil cleric, a balm. Closer to the canon, perhaps it's a component for a scroll of protection against undead.
Rules:

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

It could always be used to create something like a stinking cloud type magical item perhaps some sort of projectile or "bomb" like item extract the essence of ghast to create it.

Return to “General RPG discussion”