Extra Life

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Extra Life

#1 Post by Scott308 »

On Saturday, November 11th, I will be playing in a 24 hour game of D&D 5E at Pegasus Games in Madison, Wisconsin, starting at 10 am and running until 10 or 11 Sunday morning. We'll be attempting to get through the entire hardcover of Tomb of Annihilation. This is a game put together through Extra Life to raise money to benefit the Children's Miracle Network, which serves a number of children's hospitals throughout the country. As such, we have donated in order to get a seat at a table, and are attempting to raise more donations.

Here is my donation page: https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott-Peterson

There will be a total of five tables and seating was assigned randomly. This should be a lot of fun and hopefully raise some money for a good cause. There are plans to stream the games live, so when I get a link for that, I will post it in case anyone wants to watch the action.

Thank you!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Extra Life

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Playing D&D for 25 straight hours?

Sounds right up your alley. :D

Good luck with the fundraising, man!

Scott308

#3 Post by Scott308 »

Thanks, Rob! Yeah, I think I'm playing to my strengths with this one- D&D, staying up late, drinking lots of Coke, and eating a bunch of junk food. I'll have to keep track of football games on my phone, but other than that I am really looking forward to it.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Scott308

#4 Post by Scott308 »

Just a reminder that this will be starting in about 11 hours if anyone is interested in donating.

#ForTheKids

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rukellian »

I can't be there to help support the good cause in person, so this is the next best thing I can do for you. Hope you have a good event!
children's miracle network hospitals donation.JPG
children's miracle network hospitals donation.JPG (76.84 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Scott308

#6 Post by Scott308 »

We had a blast playing, and I raised over $700 for the Children's Miracle Network. I am currently the fourth highest fundraiser of those who took part in my event, but I have a friend who promised to donate when he gets paid on Wednesday, so we'll see where I stand at that point. If I'm close, I may have to kick in a bit more to move up.

I would like to take a moment to recognize Ogre Mage and Rukellian for their donations. I knew Ogre Mage before I ever signed up here at the Unseen Servant, and actually had hung out with him last weekend at Gamehole Con. I was very happy and thankful when I saw he had become my first donor. Then, yesterday morning, as I was getting ready to head out to the event, I saw I had received a substantial donation from Rukellian, someone I do not know in real life, and actually hadn't spent much time gaming with on the forum. But he was still generous enough to donate, and for that I am extremely thankful. There was an announcement made at the beginning of the event letting us know of the player who had raised the most money, and I announced that I had received a large donation just that morning, which drew applause from the assembled crowd. They haven't totalled up donations yet, but it was a very successful event, and I'm looking forward to doing this again next year.

Thank you again to Rukellian and Ogre Mage for their outstanding support of Extra Life. I thought everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.

Scott308

#7 Post by Scott308 »

I will be participating in the Extra Life event again this year. We had a blast last year and raised a ton of money for sick kids! This year we will be playing the upcoming D&D release Dungeon of the Mad Mage on November 3rd, and since the time change will occur during the game, we will actually be looking to play for 25 hours straight! Playing Dungeons and Dragons and raising money to help sick children at the same time- does it get any better than that? If you are not familiar with Extra Life, I go into more detail on my donation page here:https://www.extra-life.org/participant/ ... erson-2018. Please take a moment to check it out. Any donation helps, and all are tax-deductible. Last year I was fortunate to raise $760 and am hoping to raise more this year.

Thank you.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:This year we will be playing the upcoming D&D release Dungeon of the Mad Mage on November 3rd, and since the time change will occur during the game, we will actually be looking to play for 25 hours straight!
Nice!

My in-person DM has mentioned running Dragon Heist next, but not until after we reach a satisfactory conclusion to our current game (Princes of the Apocalypse). I doubt we'll even start it (Dragon Heist) before Dungeon of the Mad Mage is released, but I very much look forward to jumping into season 8 soon!

Without spoilers, you'll have to let me know how it goes.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308

#9 Post by Scott308 »

We played the intro adventure, Once in Waterdeep, and it was...different. The players have a bit of input before the adventure starts, and that determines some of the things that happen, so every play through will be different. It was an interesting adventure, with a good mix of combat, puzzle solving, and social interaction. It was fun.

I don't know if I will ever get the chance to play Dragon Heist, but we'll be using 5th level characters and starting Mad Mage for the marathon game. I will need to get a character to 5th level, although I still have some DM XP I can use so I'll definitely have someone of the appropriate level, I just don't know who it will be yet. I'll definitely let you know how it went afterwards.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:We played the intro adventure, Once in Waterdeep, and it was...different. The players have a bit of input before the adventure starts, and that determines some of the things that happen, so every play through will be different.
Are you talking about picking the season the adventure starts in?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#11 Post by Scott308 »

No. People and events can change based on players' answers to a few questions before the adventure begins. If you play it, your villain will not be the same as the one we faced. Things were highly customized based on the characters.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:No. People and events can change based on players' answers to a few questions before the adventure begins. If you play it, your villain will not be the same as the one we faced. Things were highly customized based on the characters.
Interesting. I look forward to playing through it someday.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#13 Post by Scott308 »

Extra Life Game Day will soon be upon us- a little under two weeks! Today we were assigned teams and given information on in-game bonuses we can earn for donations, so not only do your donations help sick kids, they can also hopefully help my character avoid a horrible death! We'll have six tables running the marathon. Last year we had five, so we should definitely raise more money this year! One of the tables will be streaming, but it isn't mine. I will post a link to the stream on my Extra Life page when I get that info (probably not until Game Day) in case anyone is interested in watching. Thank you to those who have donated, and to anyone who has looked at my page or donated to someone else they may know.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/ ... erson-2018

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:I will post a link to the stream on my Extra Life page when I get that info (probably not until Game Day) in case anyone is interested in watching.
I love watching live games so I'll definitely tune if if the timing works.

Good luck!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#15 Post by Scott308 »

If you are ever planning on playing Dungeon of the Mad Mage, there will be spoilers (obviously :) ).

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:If you are ever planning on playing Dungeon of the Mad Mage, there will be spoilers (obviously).
Thanks for the warning.

I'll debate it from now until then, I'm sure, so we'll see.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#17 Post by Scott308 »

Game day is coming up soon! One week from today- November 3rd to be precise. Thanks to a number of generous donations (the majority of which were from members here!) , I have surpassed my total from last year, and original goal of $761! I have a new goal of $1001 and a few new donation levels that can affect my character during the game. Some give a mechanical benefit while others are purely for fun and flavor.

I'm also trying something new. No donation is too small, so I am asking people to give $1. If everyone donates one dollar, we can raise a lot of money to help sick children! I can't do this without the help of friends and family- people like you!

Thank you,

Scott

Scott308

#18 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:
Scott308 wrote:If you are ever planning on playing Dungeon of the Mad Mage, there will be spoilers (obviously).
Thanks for the warning.

I'll debate it from now until then, I'm sure, so we'll see.
Here is a link to the stream:

https://m.twitch.tv/twentysidestoeverystory

Scott308

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Earlier this month, I had the opportunity to play in a game of Dungeons & Dragons while supporting charity. A bit of backstory, first. Last year, one of the local Adventurers League organizers decided to try a marathon game- 24 hours of D&D, raising money for Extra Life. Extra Life is a charity that uses gaming- RPG, board games, video games, etc.- to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network, a series of children’s hospitals in the US and Canada. The other organizer thought it was a terrible idea; nobody was going to want to play D&D for 24 hours straight. They hoped to be able to get one table to attempt it. They ended up with five tables. Everyone was able to make it the full 24 hours, and we ended up raising $8,816, which became over $11,000 after corporate matches were applied.

Fast forward to this year, and we ended up with seven tables going for the marathon, with a couple other tables playing during the day, all raising money for charity. This year there was an additional charity, as well. Jasper’s Game Day is a charity that raises money for local suicide crisis centers, started by a Michigan teen that lost her “gaming partner in crime” to suicide at age 16. Any money raised before the day of the event, or that was raised on players’ Extra Life pages, went to Extra Life. Money donated during the event went to JGD, which in turn went to a local crisis center. My personal goal for this year was $761, which was one dollar more than I raised last year. I ended up raising $1,111! Thank you everyone for your support! Overall, we raised $10,136 for Extra Life, without any corporate matches reported, and $1,200 for Jasper’s Game Day!

The organizers were in contact with Wizards of the Coast, and were able to get advance copies of the new hardcover adventure, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, to our DMs before they were available anywhere else, so they could run it before the book was even for sale. Since this was an Adventurers League game, it had to be played by AL rules. For the most part, not a big deal, but the organizers had to get permission for donations to provide bonuses for the players. For different donation levels, you could be given a potion of healing, a critical success- allowing you to roll a 20 on any single roll, guaranteeing success when it is most needed- or a magic item. I was able to raise enough that I earned the maximum of each reward for my character. This translated into two magic items for my wizard. The DM got to choose the items. For the first, he selected Elven Chain, magic armor that the wizard can wear to help keep him alive longer. Then he asked if I am a gambling man. I said yes, so he had me roll d100 to see what the other item would be. It turned out to be a cursed sword. For my wizard. I thought it was funny, actually. Only I can get donations for charity that then results in my wizard getting a cursed sword! (Thank you to Ogre Mage for that particular donation! :lol: ) It wasn’t all that bad, actually. One of the fighters in the party ended up using it. The curse was that the character could only use that weapon, and if he took damage, had to attack the enemy that wounded him, so all in all not too bad as far as curses go.

One thing that we could do during the game was donate $1 for a reroll, so many rerolls were purchased. We could also donate to other DMs in order to add encounters and make things more “interesting.” We ended up sending Vampire Spawn to one table, and Shadows, who were victims killed by the characters and so were vengeful (which makes them more powerful), to another. Someone donated to our DM and we ended up facing some huge, tentacle creature that clung to the ceiling and almost killed our fighter. I know someone from the table the Shadows visited came over and asked our DM, Caleb, how much for a TPK, sooo I don’t know if they were the ones who sent that one over but it is quite likely. Last year, all the tables were friendly to each other; this year we were paying DMs to take hits out on other players’ characters. :twisted: But, we ended up raising a good chunk of that $1,200 this way!

Everyone ended up making it through the 24 hours- well, 25 hours, actually, due to the time change occurring during the game, and they are already planning the event for 2019! It is going to be in the summer next time, as the last two years it was either the week before or the week after Gamehole Con, so that makes for a really hectic time for the organizers as one of them is also one of the organizers for the AL room at Gamehole Con, which is one of the biggest of any cons in the country. I’ve had a blast both years and am looking forward to what 2019’s game will bring. Since it is going to be earlier in the year, I will be putting together my Extra Life donation page at the start of the year, so I’ll be posting that info when it is ready. In case anyone is interested in donating for 2018, donations can be made through the end of the year and they are tax deductible. If anyone is interested in taking part themselves, feel free to contact me and I can point you in the appropriate direction. You may get to hang out with me, which is pretty awesome in itself. Just ask Ogre Mage or Chubby Pixie- the reason they go to cons is to play in games with me. Right guys? Guys? Guys? Guys?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Oh yes, Scott is really awesome everyone! :lol:

Im glad you had an enjoyable time, sir. And yes, a cursed sword does seem very fitting. :D

Return to “General RPG discussion”