Rider of Rohan

Re: RIP Jim Ward

#2 Post by Rex »

Sad indeed.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#3 Post by Scott308 »

I was playing a Hyperborea game at Founders & Legends when we heard. At the pre-con party Friday, I overheard a bit of phone conversation one of the organizers was having. I heard "heart attack" and "we'll get someone to cover." I don't know for sure these things are connected, but I do know that Harold Johnson stepped in and ran games Jim was supposed to run.

I played a few times in Jim's games ( I actually survived a Metamorphosis Alpha game and got the signed character sheet to prove it). The first time, it was his Tower of Monty Haul, which was notorious for its lethality. He congratulated us for being the party to survive the longest without a character dying...because we were the slowest to ever get into the tower! Our early timidity didn't help in the long run as most everyone ended up dying; the few who didn't decided to take their meager treasure and escape with their lives.

Every time I saw him, he always seemed to be in a good mood, happy to chat with fans and sign autographs. He was a huge part of RPG history and will be greatly missed. Now, when I see the first robin of the spring, I'll always think of Jim.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

I learned about this yesterday. It's always sad when a luminary in the gaming industry passes. :(
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Julie and I were talking to Luke in the lobby about the time it happened. He mentioned he heard about the severity of the situation and that it didn’t sound good for Jim. :(

I played with him a few times and his games were always interesting. He was definitely an icon of the old guard. He will be missed by many.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

As far as I can remember, I never met him personally. I saw him on a panel or two back in the 90's, but never spoke to him. Was able to watch him DM a game for a few minutes, and like Scott said, he was never without a smile. I'm blessed to have some of his gaming work. I know he was fairly active on the Dragonsfoot forums. He had been in bad health before; I just didn't expect him to pass so soon.
Winter is coming...

Return to “General RPG discussion”