Which OSR Ruleset…?

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

Which OSR Ruleset…?

#1 Post by grokkngrognard »

What’s your favorite OSR rulset? If more than one, list them in order of preference.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Which OSR Ruleset…?

#2 Post by Rex »

Hyperborea
BLUEHOLME Journeymanne

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by TheMyth »

#1/ Old School Essentials - a cleaned up b/x with a free online srd!

#2/ B/X - my fave rulesset - simple, covers the basics, still customizable

#3/Original Dungeons & Dragons (3LBB/0e - usually with a ton of house rules)

I have done 3e, OSRIC, Lamentations of the Flame Princess (early rules), AD&D1e. They're all ok, but not preferred

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

I wasn't thinking that OSR covers the various D&D versions, just the games based on them in one way or another. If it does include them my list will be longer obviously.

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by grokkngrognard »

Let’s see them. I was using OSR as an all encompassing umbrella term for old dnd versions, retro clones and similar.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by TheMyth »

Each OSR iteration has its own quirks. I consider them different games. YMMV.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by cybersavant »

the only real problem i have with OSR games are the ones with race as class
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Richter; agent of ICON <Top Secret New World Order>
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>
Randar; Fail States <Numenera>
Lathyris Daymoon; Greyhawk <1e>
Elzelil Rickert Andras; Traveller <MgT2>

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#8 Post by Scott308 »

I'm not a fan of that mechanic, either.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Me either. When I play in games with race as class on here I usually just run a human with class. We tried the newer Basic when it came out a couple of times, and then never bothered again. When we were in the mood for something simpler than 1e we just ran Holmes Basic.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by rredmond »

OSRIC / 1e for me.

I don't mind race as class as much when playing OD&D - goodness the mortality rate! :D But I know I don't like it mainly because I started with 1e and since that ruleset doesn't use race as class, that's likely why it doesn't feel right to me.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Keehnelf »

Labyrinth Lord is probably my favorite, but really only because I've spent the most time with it and invested SO much time that I never felt like it would be worth it to diversify because I'm a basic B.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

For D&D I am Holmes Basic and 1E. Can play with any rule set, particularly if the theme of the game appeals to me or I like the style of the DM.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by cybersavant »

so, what are the subtle differences between the OSR rule sets?
gaming since 1980

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Keehnelf »

Very broadly and personally speaking, there are:

A handful of sets that are 95-99% faithful recasts of the original editions.

A big middle grouping of near-recasts that incorporate a smattering (or sometimes more) of the designer's preferred houserules.

And a solid grouping of games that take some element of old-school rules design and really go with it.

The games in Group 1 have mostly faded in significance over time since many of them ended up being somewhat interchangeable. The games in Group 2 have had a bit more longevity because they have a stronger design vision to lean on and so folks had more interest in supporting them. The games in Group 3 are probably the most influential and long-lasting: things like DCC, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, etc.

There's also a fourth group of more recent games that I headcanon as "Faux-SR", like Shadowdark, that may be OSR-adjacent but are coming at the central design question from an entirely different direction.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

cybersavant wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:13 am so, what are the subtle differences between the OSR rule sets?
May be the million GP question right there.

For me it's a matter of flavor and nostalgia honestly. I like OSRIC because it's a pretty faithful of (mostly pre-UA) AD&D 1e. But it also seems to be a mindset too, even among more than just me. If someone writes a 1e or OSRIC (and OD&D and JG Universal System) module, there's a good chance I'll like it - even though I don't use the system, I'll like and be able to use that module. If it's 1e or OSR "compatible" I've found there's less of a chance than if it's made for Labyrinth Lord or BFRPG <-- folks who write for those systems seem to get the feel of the game I'm looking for. Lesser of a chance, but also better than the OSR average, for me, would be Blueholme, S&W, OSE and DCC.

But again, it certainly is nostalgia for me. I feel like 1e has the right amount of crunch, the only thing I've ever used (rules wise) from Unearthed Arcana, was the weapon specialization and higher level cap limits - both of which are captured in OSRIC. Otherwise UA is good for the monsters, and some spells and magic items. OSRIC also got rid of the right stuff, "Weapons vs AC" I'm looking at you! I don't think this is particularly an answer to the question, but hope it helps a little.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Keehnelf »

rredmond wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:42 pm
cybersavant wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:13 am so, what are the subtle differences between the OSR rule sets?
May be the million GP question right there.

For me it's a matter of flavor and nostalgia honestly. I like OSRIC because it's a pretty faithful of (mostly pre-UA) AD&D 1e. But it also seems to be a mindset too, even among more than just me. If someone writes a 1e or OSRIC (and OD&D and JG Universal System) module, there's a good chance I'll like it - even though I don't use the system, I'll like and be able to use that module. If it's 1e or OSR "compatible" I've found there's less of a chance than if it's made for Labyrinth Lord or BFRPG <-- folks who write for those systems seem to get the feel of the game I'm looking for. Lesser of a chance, but also better than the OSR average, for me, would be Blueholme, S&W, OSE and DCC.

But again, it certainly is nostalgia for me. I feel like 1e has the right amount of crunch, the only thing I've ever used (rules wise) from Unearthed Arcana, was the weapon specialization and higher level cap limits - both of which are captured in OSRIC. Otherwise UA is good for the monsters, and some spells and magic items. OSRIC also got rid of the right stuff, "Weapons vs AC" I'm looking at you! I don't think this is particularly an answer to the question, but hope it helps a little.
That's my experience, too--I think the whole idea of "OSR compatibility" encourages (for lack of a better term) lazy design, since folks who use that mold often overlook the ways that specific rules push particular kinds of experiences and so they look at the overlaps as the groundwork for "compatible" adventure design. It's a forest-for-the-trees kind of thing. On some level, it seems fiddly that there should be so much granularity to the experiences people expect from different highly-similar rulesets, but the idiosyncrasy is where the magic happens.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by TheMyth »

Wanna know the primary differences?

Does the Cleric get a spell at level 1 or not?

Are there 5 saving throw numbers or just 1?

Does the system use race as class, or can you play a Halfling Thief?

Are there any extra systems added into the game (like skills, proficiencies, feats, spell failure, critical hits & fumbles, etc.)?

Which version of D&D is used as the inspiration (OD&D, B/X, AD&D1e, AD&D2e, or some chimerical hybrid)?

These seem to be the main categories of difference to each OSR variation

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by cybersavant »

TheMyth wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:59 pm
Are there 5 saving throw numbers or just 1?
Does the system use race as class, or can you play a Halfling Thief?
Are there any extra systems added into the game (like skills, proficiencies, feats, spell failure, critical hits & fumbles, etc.)?
Which version of D&D is used as the inspiration (OD&D, B/X, AD&D1e, AD&D2e, or some chimerical hybrid)?
actually, this is sort of what i'm after - answering questions like this would let me know which systems to invest in.

[ plus things like playable races, classes and combos ]
gaming since 1980

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

If you like a strong sword and sorcery feel with just a bit of weird science (aka Conan or Lovecraft) then Hyperborea rpg is the best I have found. Take a look at Ogre Mage's game here for an idea but I can also answer specific questions if it interests you. My table top group has fallen in love with it and are currently using it with 3 different settings. It adapts very easily.

viewforum.php?f=1313

Return to “General RPG discussion”