So my pc lost her hand!

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

So my pc lost her hand!

#1 Post by tarlyn »

I play a weekly (Saturday Evening) 2nd edition Greyhawk game.

My Svirfneblin 8th level Earth Elementalist lost her right hand due to bad luck and

I won't get into that, as s**t happens in a game, right?

One pc has loaned her a very nice ring of regeneration so she can regrow her hand which is fortuitous

I've been informed it will take 1 week in game time to regrow her hand.

As weapons she can throw darts or, she can cast Dimension Door 4x a day. None of

her other spells are just Vocal.

She has a Stone of Controlling/Summoning Earth Elementals but that won't really help.

Is there a spell that allows a Mage to be able to cast spells with Materials and Vocal only so

if this ever happened again , *knock on wood*, she would be prepared.

I know there is a vocalize spell for when the mage has no voice/or can't speak.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: So my pc lost her hand!

#2 Post by dmw71 »

tarlyn wrote:I know there is a vocalize spell for when the mage has no voice/or can't speak.
Interesting. That spell isn't listed in any of the core rulebooks for 2e, but I did find it in the The Complete Wizard's Handbook. Interesting spell.
tarlyn wrote:Is there a spell that allows a Mage to be able to cast spells with Materials and Vocal only so

if this ever happened again , *knock on wood*, she would be prepared.
Not that I'm aware of, no. However, and every DM is able to interpret how to hand that sort of situation however they like, but a spell caster should still be able to satisfy the somatic component with only one hand (so long as their one available hand is "open" and not being otherwise used to carry or handle anything).

I didn't find a specific rule that states that only one hand is required in either the 1e or 2e books (though, there are general passages that mention "hand" (singular) as opposed to "hands" plural in both editions. In 5e (I know, I know) the rule is clear:
Components wrote:Somatic (S)
Spellcasting gestures might include a forceful gesticulation or an intricate set of gestures. If a spell requires a somatic component, the caster must have free use of at least one hand to perform these gestures.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Oh, I also found a non-weapon proficiency in the Dark Sun campaign setting called Somatic Concealment, which, while not Forgotten Realms, is an interesting idea that could potentially be house-ruled into your game.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

I agree in that I think it should most likely just be a DM ruling (for 2e and earlier). I try to stay in the spirit of a good time and would just rule you can use your other hand unless the spell specifically mentions 2 hands (Burning Hands comes to mind).

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

As far as I know most spells don't require the use of both hands some do as Rex points out Burning Hands. Dave made very excellent points as well. Off the top of my head I cannot say now long it would or should take the hand to regrow using the regenerative ring that appears to be a DMs call I suppose. In the past DMs I had just simple had the thing regrow over the course of a 1-2 days sort of like Deadpool. Others have worked it more along the lines of how a Troll regenerates.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

Also, one week "in game time" could really take a few minutes, depending on what you and the party are doing.
Of course if you are in dungeon (which I'm guessing is where you are :) ) and no ability to rest up, then I like the suggestions above.
Good luck!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by tarlyn »

I thank you all for your prompt replies and advice and or information. I don't really mind not being able to cast spells.

I am going to find other ways to make her useful. And yes, we are in a deceased(we hope) Wizard's tower, looking for

a tome for another Wizard, so insanity and hilarity will ensue, not counting surprises galore!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

Is there an illusion that you can use to create a spectral hand that has substance and can be used for casting?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#9 Post by Scott308 »

You may not even need any hands for most spells. Unless it calls out something specific like Burning Hands, there really is no guidance for what the somatic component is. Knock could be pantomiming knocking on a door, Enlarge could be holding your hands/stumps together and spreading your arms wide to indicate something getting larger, Fly could be flapping your arms like a bird, etc. With no hands, material components would be difficult, but the character does have one hand. What you really need to do is just find the Hand of Vecna, and you'll instantly have the ability to count past five again!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by tarlyn »

Scott308 wrote:You may not even need any hands for most spells. Unless it calls out something specific like Burning Hands, there really is no guidance for what the somatic component is. Knock could be pantomiming knocking on a door, Enlarge could be holding your hands/stumps together and spreading your arms wide to indicate something getting larger, Fly could be flapping your arms like a bird, etc. With no hands, material components would be difficult, but the character does have one hand. What you really need to do is just find the Hand of Vecna, and you'll instantly have the ability to count past five again!
True that....... :mrgreen: :lol: :?

But then I'll try to take over the world,,,,,, Where's Pinky when you need him?

"Zort!!!!! Naaarffff!"

Return to “General RPG discussion”