Chapter 7: In Search of the Pharaoh's Tomb

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 7: In Search of the Pharaoh's Tomb

#41 Post by Inferno »

The Revolving Corridor. Third Tier of the Great Pyramid
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Two. Afternoon. 14th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

Amethu is silent as the outlanders parley with the amazon.

Garrin, son of Atlantis, prays unto Mitra for the vision to see within Zahra's heart. He finds no evil lurking there. The warrior-maiden of Sekhmet, says, "Tell me of your plans, and perhaps we can make common cause against the unholy one."

Loche the Pict answers, "We seek th' crypt o' Xuthalhotep. Thare, we hope tae find magic power entombed wi' him, tae wield against ye demon god, Zargoth. We think our wey is th' path o' th' Serpent."

Garrin addresses the group. "Are we hale enough to attempt the path of the Serpent? Or would it be wiser to return to the temple of Osorus and recoup?"

Amethu says, "I'm afraid Zahra and I would be most unwelcome there. But perhaps I can be of service." Then the grand magi of Uthoth performs a miracle, healing Garrin and Kiri with nary a touch. (+5hp and +2hp respectively)

At Gronda's query, Amethu interjects, "I have not entered the domain of Sutekh in my lifetime. But I confess, I look forward to it."

Actions?

Map:
Both doors of the revolving hallway are open. Lighter areas show visibility. All else is from memory.

Rolls and Rulings (non-required reading):

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 5/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 2: Move: 12", AC: 1, HP: 10/21, Torch
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 11/18, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 6/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 4/7, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 6/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7, HP: 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, Light spell
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: Move: 15", AC: 4, HP: 17/23, Torch
    Zahra: Khemsan Verulian Fighter 2: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (All except Amethu and Zahra): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
    Light (Mako): Duration: 18 rounds
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by Spartakos »

Though she finds Loche's barbarous accent difficult to decipher, Zahra is pleased to hear of the plan. "This is well. I, too, have heard of the fabled weapons that are said to lie within his crypt. With such, we might triumph. It is worth the chance."

When Gronda pulls her aside, Zahra is at first puzzled. "You mean, you do not lead this band of males, as you said earlier?" The thought seems to sober her, and Gronda's speech in support of her allies does little to allay her new concerns. A band of men commanded by a woman is one thing; a band of men commanded by no one is quite another.
"I cannot throw aside all that I have learned, but I will do my best to keep an open mind and judge these here fairly by their actions toward me. In battle, all must work together. I have offered alliance, and I stand by my word. Women before men, but men before monsters."
As to her warning about Roan, Zahra eyes the enormous barbarian, and her mouth sets grimly. "He had best mind his tongue and hands around me, or he will learn to his sorrow that we are not like the women of the outer world."

At being questioned regarding the pyramid, Zahra flushes slightly, and admits "I have...never actually left our enclave. I have heard stories, of course, of what lies below, but I'm afraid as a guide I have little more knowledge than you." Despite her height and obvious strength and skill at arms, it is clear Zahra is quite young, barely into adulthood.

When she hears that the Serpent's Path was recommended by the Magi of Uthoth, Zahra frowns. "If you think it best, I will walk that path with you...but I counsel caution. The Magi do things for their own bizarre purposes, and it might amuse them to send you to your deaths...even with one of their own among you. The followers of Sutekh are mad and evil."

"I know there must be a path below that my sisters used, and I doubt they went that way. Why not try the path of the Cat and the Eye? The All-Seeing Eye might reveal knowledge, and the Cat strikes me as good luck."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune grins at the newcomer, even as she gives him a glare, because he knows when women play hard to get that means they are almost reading for a good rutting.
But when the other newcomer invokes the name of some strange god and heals two of his companions, the Vanir steps back, eyes wide, hand on his axe. What dark power bestowed this gift upon him? he wonders. Roan eyes the man suspiciously and then says, "Pick a path and let's move on. The longer we stand here, the more time we allow our enemies, be they ape or man, to regroup and plot their devilish plans."
Winter is coming...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Inferno »

The Revolving Corridor. Third Tier of the Great Pyramid
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Two. Afternoon. 14th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

The grand magi of Uthoth watches Zahra join the outlanders in the corpse strewn hallway and privately confer with Gronda.

Roan eyes Amethu suspiciously and then says, "Pick a path and let's move on. The longer we stand here, the more time we allow our enemies, be they ape or man, to regroup and plot their devilish plans."

"As you wish," says Amethu.

CLICK.

His finger still on the bronze hieroglyphic button depicting The Serpent, he adds, "...and surely you mean 'be they ape, man or woman'."

The immense doors grind shut. Ancient engines rumble below as the revolving corridor turns into alignment with the halls of The Serpent and The Hawk. Then the monolithic portals yawn open.

All is quiet. Nothing stirs to the south, where the baboon survivors retreated. The northern hallway's floor resembles fire opals that glimmer and flicker in the torchlight, giving the strange effect of walking upon flames.

A shield emblazoned with an ibis emerges from beneath Amethu's voluminous robes as the group cautiously creeps north into the coruscating hall of The Serpent, led by Attila, Garrin, Loche and Zahra.

The walls here venerate Sutekh the ancient Verulian god of death, serpents, storms, disorder, suffering and violence.

The timeless walkway of antiquity comes to a "T" where, at a crossroads of unbalanced symmetry, looms a colossal stone statue of great Sutekh, 20 feet tall. (at the star)

Attila and Loche approach it with trepidation and awe, risking glances both east and west, down dim empty corridors with fiery floors that turn back south.

Amethu marvels sardonically, "Sutekh the usurper, the defiler, the desecrator... Only when seeking a tomb is the god of death a good omen."

"Which wey?" asks Loche.

Actions?

Map:
Both doors of the revolving hallway are open. Lighter areas show visibility. All else is from memory.

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 5/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 11/18, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 4/7, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7, HP: 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, Light spell
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: Move: 15", AC: 4, HP: 17/23, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (All except Amethu and Zahra): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
    Light (Mako): Duration: 16 rounds
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Hallway of the god of suffering and violence? I say we go left. Just a gut feeling," says Kiri. Turning to Amethu he adds "Thanks for the healing back there. Monkeys!" His expression communicates he believes no more needs be said on the subject. He'll look back the way they came trying to discern if they're being followed by many sets of beady eyes just out of torch range.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan ignores the comment from the newcomer, but eagerly waits to see what is in front or behind. As the group moves forward, Roan walks backwards, axe ready for what might descend upon them from the darkened hallway.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#47 Post by OGRE MAGE »

With the trusty barbarian closely watching her back, Gronda uses their rear ranks downtime to search the walls and floor of the areas that she traverses. She tries to find anything that might indicate a trap or a secret door along the path.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Spartakos »

Zahra frowns at Amethu's ramblings. "Sutekh is never a good omen...you know this, yet you lead us into his domain. And you and your brothers boast of your wisdom." She looks about her, a javelin lightly balanced in her right hand, ready to hurl it at a foe should one present itself.

As to direction, she is ambivalent. "When you don't know where either path leads, one is as good as the other." If the party chooses left, she goes along.
Last edited by Spartakos on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Mako follows the group and trusts the judgement of those in the front.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by tkrexx »

Atilla glances from Zahra to the idol of Sutekh.

Usurper and defiler he is, The nomad Barbarian finally speaks, This cannot be a good omen, I agree, but wisdom and I are not good companions. He nods his head to his party. These are good companions, and I shall follow them. Almost as an afterthought, he adds, You heft your javelin well.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin goes left, as Kiri suggests.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Inferno »

The Hall of The Serpent. Third Tier of the Great Pyramid

In the shadow of the monolithic sculpture of Sutekh, ancient god of evil, the explorers of the Great Pyramid trod west upon the fiery floor, in search of the tomb of Xuthalhotep.

On rear guard, Roan son of Rune walks backwards, his ax ready to split any simian skulls that should suddenly lunge out of the shadows that stalk them. None emerge.

Gronda scans the ageless stones in the wake of their cautious advance. She finds no trace of secret door or trap.

The western corridor turns south and stops at a door whose hieroglyphs venerate the glory of Sutekh.

Actions?

Map:
Lighter areas show visibility. All else is from memory.

PC Status:
PC Magic:
    Light (Mako): Duration: 15 rounds
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Spartakos »

Zahra proceeds slowly down the hall, wary for any enemy or trap to present itself.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#54 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As she passes the crossroads of unbalanced symmetry, Gronda checks over the colossal statue of Sutekh a little bit, looking for any hidden secrets that may reveal themselves to her trained eye.

She keeps a close watch on the opposite hallway when the group advances to the west, not wanting to be snuck up on from behind.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan watches the back of his companions, axe ready, senses alert.
"Mako, I have your back. Let me know what you see ahead."
Winter is coming...

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

"huh? what? Oh nothing yet. Everyone is standing at the corner but I don't know what's on the other side. It's kind of hard to make out but the pale woman is in the lead and I think she has stopped."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin turns to Loche. "If you please, would you do the honors...?" he says, indicating the door.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Inferno »

The Hall of The Serpent. Third Tier of the Great Pyramid

"Oan et!" says Loche. The Pict thief cracks his knuckles and expertly checks the door for traps before delivering his professional diagnosis: "She's clean."

Zahra the amazon finds the door unlocked and pulls it open, revealing a sand floored chamber where two desiccated skeletons lie, locked in a final embrace.

They lay near a shut red door set into the center of the southern wall.

Cloth and belts lie in tatters at their waists.

Surrounding the dry corpses on every side are timeless murals depicting omnipotent Sutekh preparing the faithful departed for eternity.

Eyes are removed. The brain is withdrawn though the nostrils with a hook. The body is eviscerated. All internal organs are removed except the heart. Lungs, intestines, stomach and liver are placed inside canopic jars. The body is rinsed in wine, wrapped in linen and encased in a great sarcophagus engraved with paeans to the god of death.

Actions?

Map:
Lighter areas show visibility. All else is from memory.

PC Status:
PC Magic:
    Light (Mako): Duration: 15 rounds
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by tkrexx »

Atilla lowers his bow just long enough to visually inspect the bones. Lovers?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin takes in the scene. "Perhaps," he says, in response to Atilla's inquiry. Garrin begins searching the walls for any secret doors. To Loche, he says, "Can you check that one, as well?" indicating the door in the south wall.

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”