Chapter 7: In Search of the Pharaoh's Tomb

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 7: In Search of the Pharaoh's Tomb

#21 Post by Inferno »

The Revolving Corridor. Third Tier of the Great Pyramid
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Two. Afternoon. 14th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

It's a mad house. A mad house.

"AAAAAH! AAAAAH! AAAAAAAAH!"

In the shrieking riot of bloodshed and anarchy, Garrin and Attila are savagely clawed and bitten. (-3hp and -7hp respectively)

"RRROOOOOOAARR!!"

The bone-armored Baboon King (B19) roars a ferocious challenge and lopes toward the nearest unengaged invader: Loche the Pict. The mighty brute lunges forward at the little thief and crashes a glancing blow off Loche's temple with a gnawed-upon human thigh bone. (-2hp)
"Whit th' bloody hell am ah daein' up 'ere?!" Loche yells in frustration.

Arthfael, Attila, Gronda, Kiri, Loche and Mako cannot strike true in the rampaging turmoil of feral attackers.

"EEE! EEEEEE! EEEEE!"

But Roan the barbarian snarls like a wolf as his battle axe decapitates a wild beast. (B10) Its howling head instantly transforms into spewing geyser of crimson.

Amethu of Uthoth clubs a shrieking primate to death with his staff. The beast collapses, brains oozing from a shattered skull. (B14)

Garrin, son of Atlantis buries his long sword into the heart of an advancing baboon, slaying him with one blow! (B20)

Then suddenly the explorers feel it.

A low rumble below the screaming cacophony. The monolithic stone doors are grinding shut.

"OOOOUUH! OOUH! OOOUUUH!"

Actions?!

Map Detail:
Both doors of the revolving hallway are closing.

Rolls and Rulings (non-required reading)

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 5/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 2: Move: 12", AC: 1, HP: 10/21
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 6/18, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 6/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 2/7, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 6/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7, HP: 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, Light spell
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: Move: 15", AC: 4, HP: 17/23, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (All): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
    Light (Mako): Duration: 20 rounds
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael defends himself against the aggressive animals.

Scimitar (THAC0 20): [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14 [1d8] = 2

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Mako tries to rid himself of the simian creature once again.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda pokes with her spear at the wild animals in between the bodies of her friends as best she can.

Attack w/ Spear [1d20] = 14 Damage [1d6] = 3

"The doors are starting to close! Did someone push the bronze buttons again?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by hedgeknight »

Covered in blood and loving the battle, Roan, Son of Rune, doesn't hear Gronda at first, but then he feels the rumble of the doors closing and tries to stop it. He shoves his spear into in the floor and attempts to keep the door from closing.
Winter is coming...

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin attacks the nearest baboon. B21?

To Hit with +1 Long Sword: [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4; Damage: sm - [1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9; lg - [1d12+1] = 4+1 = 5
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Inferno »

The Revolving Corridor. Third Tier of the Great Pyramid
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Two. Afternoon. 14th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

"EEE! EEEEEE! EEEEE!"

Gronda the savage shouts over the din: "The doors are starting to close! Did someone push the bronze buttons again?!"

The bass rumble of the twin cyclopean slabs is felt more than heard, startling the feral simians.

"AAAAAH! AAAAAH! AAAAAAAAH!"

Not wanting to be trapped in the strange corridor, the primates suddenly hurtle out of the revolving corridor in a frantic black cascade of shrieking bodies, back into the hall whence they came!

Gronda stabs one fleeing beast (B12) with her spear. Its agonizing death scream almost drowns out the shrieks of retreating apes. Garrin, Kiri and Mako try to join the slaughter but the frenetic torrent proves too much. Attila the barbaric nomad stays his spear. "Let them live, that they may warn their kind of our might."

The surviving baboons and the Baboon King disappear into the ever-shrinking gap to the hallway of The Hawk.

"EEEEE! EEEEEEE! EEEE! EEEEE!"

Roan tries to wedge his spear to stop the opposite door from shutting. His spearpole snaps like a matchstick as he pulls his hand away just in time to avoid losing it forever to the massive, unstoppable stone.

BOOM. Both portals shut with the finality of the executioner's ax.

The floor sways and the rotating corridor falls shockingly quiet in the wake of the screeching cacophony that is suddenly absent. The explorers regain their footing and catch their breath. Loche the Pict presses a bronze button while the corridor is in motion, to no effect.

The rumble stops and the hulking slabs grind open onto the familiar paths of The Spear and The Ibis; the amazons and the Magi.

In one opening doorway, a lone figure stands revealed near Gronda and Roan.

It's one of the golden amazons of Sekhmet; her right hand near the exterior bronze button. The tall, muscular woman plants the points of her throwing spears at the floor, ostensibly as a sign of parley. Shield slung over her shoulder, she removes her lioness helm and holds it beneath one arm.

"Hail, upworlders. I am called Zahra. I would have words with you, in peace."
Unfazed by the carnage of primate corpses, she directs her attention to Gronda and says, "You, dark sister...from what you said earlier, you and your band here may be able to aid us against Zargoth and, Sekhmet willing, put an end to him. For such a thing, no risk is too great in my eyes, even my life and my honor. Tell me of your plans, and perhaps we can make common cause against the unholy one. I would lend my spears to any quest that could end his vile reign."

Amethu whispers, loud enough for only Arthfael, Garrin, Kiri and Mako to hear, "Have a care. These man-hating witches cannot be trusted."

Replies?

Map Detail:

Map:
"Za" = Zahra. Both doors of the revolving hallway are open. Doors to 14a and 23 are shut.

Rolls and Rulings (non-required reading)
Initiative: Party: [1d6] = 5, Monsters: [1d6] = 6 Baboons win, and retreat from the revolving corridor lest they be trapped inside.
This gives the PCs opportunity attacks. I used your current attack rolls to resolve this.
Loche and Attila will not attack the fleeing primates.

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 5/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 2: Move: 12", AC: 1, HP: 10/21
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 6/18, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 6/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 2/7, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 6/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7, HP: 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, Light spell
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: Move: 15", AC: 4, HP: 17/23, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (All): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
    Light (Mako): Duration: 19 rounds
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#29 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda steps right up to the newcomer.

"Tell me, why should we trust you, Zahra? How do I know that Dendara didn't send you to kill all of the men here? She is a strange one, and I cant really say that I trust her at all. She uses people as she would, and then turns them away with nothing more than a warning? How could I ever trust your intentions after that?"

The dark savage watches the newcomers movements carefully before finishing.....

"Did she say anything to you about me?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin sheathes his sword, approaching this Zahra with open hands. To Gronda, he says"If Dendara wanted us dead, Gronda, she would have killed us already, or let those damnable apes do us in."

To the newcomer, he says, "Greetings Zahra. If your intentions are honorable, you may join us. We need all the help we can get.

"Will you consent to the blessing of Mitra, who can see the hearts of the righteous and the unworthy alike?"
If Zahra consents, Garrin will Detect Evil upon her.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by Spartakos »

Gronda wrote:"Tell me, why should we trust you, Zahra? How do I know that Dendara didn't send you to kill all of the men here? She is a strange one, and I cant really say that I trust her at all. She uses people as she would, and then turns them away with nothing more than a warning? How could I ever trust your intentions after that?"
Zahra's expression changes, caught somewhere between confusion and affront. "I give you my oath, sworn on the fiery heart of our goddess, that I come to you on my own accord in the spirit of comradeship, with no design but to see Zargoth cast down and my people made free. I am no wordsmith, and have not the tongue to flatter and persuade; I can only speak plainly. I will deal honorably with you if you will do likewise with me. Between women, that should be enough."

"I know not what went between you and my queen in privacy, and she said naught to me of you. You caught my eye when you entered, as a fellow warrior, but while I desire to work together, you should not speak ill of one I have known all my life, after meeting her for mere hours." Zahra pauses, and when she continues her voice is more conciliatory. "You must understand, since we set ourselves apart and saw to our own defense, every hand has been against us. We have had to be fierce and strong and wary to survive. I pray you, do not judge Dendara too harshly...her actions have always been towards the best interests of her people, though they may seem callous to those who do not know our lives. Leadership is a great burden, surely you know this."

When Garrin greets her, she gives him a tentative smile...but it fades when he finishes. Warily, she says, "I know nothing of Mitra...but I have been warned against the snares of men. What does this 'blessing' entail?" If he assures her it will merely allow him to see if she harbors any evil force or intent, she relaxes a bit. "Only those who hide behind lies and deceit need fear such a prayer." She looks pointedly at Amethu as she says this, her face stern. "Call on your Mitra as you please; Sekhmet is beside me, and knows my heart is true."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Leaning in and speaks softly to Amethu. "Does she dine on human flesh?" his eyes turn in the direction of Arthfael to see if the druid overhears.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Spartakos wrote:When Garrin greets her, she gives him a tentative smile...but it fades when he finishes. Warily, she says, "I know nothing of Mitra...but I have been warned against the snares of men. What does this 'blessing' entail?" If he assures her it will merely allow him to see if she harbors any evil force or intent, she relaxes a bit. "Only those who hide behind lies and deceit need fear such a prayer." She looks pointedly at Amethu as she says this, her face stern. "Call on your Mitra as you please; Sekhmet is beside me, and knows my heart is true."
Garrin smiles amicably. "It is quite painless,
I assure you."

Garrin uses Detect Evil. NB--Garrin is probably a better speaker than I am a writer. With his 18 CHA, I assume Garrin can make it sound more diplomatic than I have written here. ;)

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Spartakos wrote:"Call on your Mitra as you please; Sekhmet is beside me, and knows my heart is true."
Garrin smiles. "Indeed it is. Welcome to our company!"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda is a little more accepting of the newcomer once the paladin says that her intentions are true. "Welcome to the group then, sister. We will be glad to have a warrior such as yourself along. I will hold my tongue regarding your leader from now on."

The dark woman looks at Amethu and then back to Garrin.

"Perhaps you should check him as well?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael does not hear the cannibal comment and wouldn't have reacted if he did. He waits for the party to move on.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan tosses his shattered spear to the floor in disgust and then reaches for his axe when the golden headed amazon appears. He relaxes though, when Gronda and she begin to talk.
His sharp ears catch Mako's question, and he grunts in approval of it, glancing sideways at the druid.

He has been looking this newcomer up and down and does not dislike what he sees. With a smile he says, "I am Roan, Son of Rune." He figures that is enough > the blood on his body and the smell of his musk will do the rest for this wench, who after so many years with only women for company, must be in need of a strong man.
Winter is coming...

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin addresses the group. "Are we hale enough to attempt the path of the Serpent? Or would it be wiser to return to the temple of Osorus and recoup? Those damnable apes have wounded us all, and there may be worse than they in the path of the Serpent."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spartakos wrote:For Zahra's part, she'd prefer to be in the front; if Gronda directs her to be somewhere else, she'll acquiesce.
Gronda pulls the strangely pale skinned woman to the side for some girl talk.

"The first thing that you will need to get used to is that we are all equals in this group. I know that following orders must seem normal to you, but within this group, you will find that you will be able to act and speak as you wish. We will likely need to lean on you as a guide of sorts in here, since you know your way around a bit. So don't hesitate to voice your opinion or help with a decision."

"Also, please try to forget what you have been taught about all of the indecencies of men. I trust these males with my life, and they do the same. That is how a group survives ordeals like the one we are about to undertake. There is no need to harbor hatred for any of us. As I had already told Dendara, we are all here to help one another."

"You might want to watch out for the big one, though. He seems extremely randy, even for a barbarian."

After the fair warnings, Gronda tries to answer Garrin's question.

Many of us could use the healing powers, but why don't we let Zahra tell us of what she knows of the paths we have yet to explore. If there is no danger, it might be wise to check the unsearched paths before we rest again."

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”