Chapter 3: The Civilization That Time Forgot

Inferno
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Civilization That Time Forgot

#101 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri Bhutan, the Magic Mountain

Kiri looks around at the others, scratching his chin, then looks back to Horuk. "Sent by Osorus? I don't know about that. We certainly aren't infallible. One of our number, a fellow magician, just vanished into thin air. I don't think on purpose. In return for your hospitality and refuge, I for one, am willing to help you. But what can we do against a god who can destroy a whole land as far as the eye can see?" He shovels in another mouthful of gruel.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by hedgeknight »

Ghorom replies gently, “Roan, son of Rune, this Zamora is unknown to me. What of mighty Atlantis? Thule? Lemuria? Pray, what hath become of them?”
Roan tries to reply as gently as his host. "These lands you speak of...they are but legend now. The sea claimed the wonders of Atlantis, and these others, Thule and Lemuria, are no more. How many moons have you and your people lived below ground?"
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin:

Not wishing to offend, but making sure his religious convictions are well-know, Garrin asserts, "I too will lend my blade to the cause of smiting this evil; however, I am a soldier of Mitra and my efforts will be in his name."

He again eyes the strange marking on his hand with trepidation.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#104 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Is it really possible that these men have lived in here for generations? Could these really be men who are not yet corrupted by the ways of the outside world. Their world seems very much unlike the one she has experienced so far. Sadly, the idea of this place greatly appeals to the savage woman, despite its sad history.

After being personally addressed, Gronda thinks long on her words before eventually looking up from her bowl.

"I am called Gronda! Female warrior of sand and sea! Yes, my skin, like many dwellers under the open sun, is very dark. I can also honestly tell you that I've never seen skin color such as yours either, other than a few oddities of nature. No offense meant to you and your men of course.

And I too beg forgiveness. For I assumed you looked upon me for other reasons.

Pray tell Ghorum, are their no females amongst your ranks?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Inferno »

Realm of the Sons of Osorus (9)
Second Tier of the Great Pyramid, Lost City of Khemsa
Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day One. Night. 13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

All the strangers are served their fill of food, water and wine as Ghorom relays the sad tale of doomed Khemsa, a dying, once-great civilization, the majority of its populace spiraling into hallucinogenic madness, conquered by a monstrous 'god' and his heinous servants, strange malefactors crawling up out of the city's forgotten depths.

Roan gently says, "These lands you speak of...they are but legend now. The sea claimed the wonders of Atlantis, and these others, Thule and Lemuria, are no more. How many moons have you and your people lived below ground?"

A shadow crosses Ghorom's pale visage upon hearing the fate of Atlantis.
"Generations uncounted," answers Horuk.
"Millennia," concurs Ghorom.

Gronda exchanges apologies with the Sons of Osorus and asks, "Pray tell, Ghorum, are their no females amongst your ranks?"

"Nay," the bone white elder replies humbly. "The Sons of Osorus art a male sect, my child."

Kiri Khutan says, "I, for one, am willing to help you."

"Thank thee," says Ghorom, bowing his head, deeply touched by the stranger's kindness.

Garrin says, "I too will lend my blade to the cause of smiting this evil; however, I am a soldier of Mitra and my efforts will be in his name."

Around mouthfuls, Loche and Atilla also offer their aid, liking the sound of Zargoth's horde.

"We art in thy debt, noble warriors," says Ghorom.

Kiri asks, "But what can we do against a god who can destroy a whole land as far as the eye can see?"

"Zargoth the Destroyer is no god," replies Horuk hotly.

Ghorom says, "Forsooth, he did trigger the fall of our kingdom, but t'wast not entirely of his own hand.

"In terms of what can be done... far below us, ancient weapons and artifacts of the golden age of Verulia and Atlantis art sealed, preserved for the ages in the burial chambers of Xuthalhotep. They couldst aid us in our noble cause.

"But between us and those artifacts lie other factions... other cults of the old gods of Khemsa. They art not in thrall to Zargoth, but ancient feuds between our people and theirs prevent us from descending past them.

"But... they would have no enmity against thee."

Replies?

Map: The PCs are in room 9.

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 10/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 1: Move: 12", AC: 1, HP: 6/12
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 5/18, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 17/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 6/7, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 18/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7, HP: 2/6, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: Move: 15", AC: 4, HP: 18/23
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
PC Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael listens silently to the conversation. His inked visage remains impassive even as Ghorom speaks of perversions of nature and of the destruction of the land. "When gods and demons fight," he thinks to himself, as if repeating scripture, "Hybornia bleeds." This place is not his place. He does not know the Balance here. He must learn it. Only then will he know how he must act. He closes his eyes and tries to hear the spirits of this place. The spirits know. Sometimes they tell.

When Ghorom mentions cults that lie below, Arthfael finally speaks. "These other gods," he says. "Please tell us of them and their followers."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Hmmmmm," says Kiri, "Ancient artifacts of great power and the like? Sounds dangerous. But I suppose the only way out it to go forward - the desert wastes outside would certainly defeat us. I'll help. But would also like to know more about these rivals of yours."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Mako continues to eat as the others talk. He nods his head in agreement to the conversation, because it's considered rude to talk with his mouth full.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#109 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda listens intently and tries to absorb as much of Ghorom's information as she can.

"I too shall assist you in your time of need, if you will allow it. It would seem that we are trapped here until we can find a way out of this desert anyway.

I for one would like to hear more about these golden age artifacts and weapons!"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

Roan listens to the elders of ancient Khemsa and the others talk of help. He doesn't give two shits about this Zargoth creature or the fact that these ancients are nothing more than slaves to their own inactivity, but...like Gronda, he is interested in gold and weapons. And the thought of that spurs him forward.

"You say there are levels below this one, and other cults like the animal-headed freaks. Provision us and we will venture there. Like my friend, Gronda, said, we are trapped here anyway. Might as well make the best of it until we can leave, yes?"
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#111 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin

Talk of these false gods is of no interest to the warrior priest; his concerns lie with restoring the balance, law and order that has seemingly been robbed from this strange and uncanny place.

"These are a noble and benevolent people deserving of our aid."

"Yes, how might we identify these weapons of power?" he inquires of his hosts.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Inferno »

Realm of the Sons of Osorus (9)
Second Tier of the Great Pyramid, Lost City of Khemsa
Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day One. Night. 13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

The hour grows late (another +1hp all, from the healing mists). Ghorom humbly answers the outlanders' questions of ill-fated Khemsa ('kem-SAH'); an entire race, far from the sunlit world of Men, dreaming on the edge of extinction, menaced by unimaginable horror rising up from the darkness of the earth's bowels, beneath the brooding ruins of their lost city.

Ghorom replies, "The other cults of the old gods hast withdrawn into their own strongholds, as hast we.

"The Warrior Maidens of Sekhmet ('SEK-met') worship the ancient goddess of war, fertility, healing, women and the sun.

"They art a female sect and doth harbor great mistrust for all men," Ghorom says as he glances without accusation at Gronda the fierce savage.

"The Grand Magi of Uthoth ('OOH-thoth') worship the ancient god of scholars, magic, language, knowledge, science, commerce and thieves.

"They art arrogant, selfish, undisciplined, honourless, and lost in pointless, abstract pursuits.

"The Cult of Sutekh ('SOOH-tek') worship the ancient god of desert, storms, disorder, suffering and violence.

"They art evil."

The explorers remember these ancient gods from the towering, stone colossi that crown the Great Pyramid.

Ghorom continues, "The Treasure of Xuthalhotep ('zoo-THAL-ho-tep'), the fabled weapons, relics and artifacts entombed with the Pharaoh of Pharaohs, is legendary.

"Forged when the world wast young, they art born of the age of Ancient Khemsa at the height of her glory, in an unrivaled era of magic and myth.
"The sacred lore cites the Eye of Verulia, a magic emerald of properties unknown and perhaps unknowable. Xuthalhotep wast also said to be interred with his magical spear, sword, arrows, shield, dagger, armour, helm, ruling staff, ancient tomes and scrolls of magicks.
"With them, didst mighty Xuthalhotep smite his enemies, and rule an empire."

Hearing this, Gronda joins the pledges of aid. Mako nods in assent. Roan says, "Provision us and we will venture there."

Ghorom replies, "It shall be done, on the morrow. Thank thee, noble friends. We art humbled by thy benevolent grace."

Replies? Anything else before everyone retires for the night?

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 11/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 1: Move: 12", AC: 1, HP: 7/12
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 6/18, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 17/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 7/7, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 18/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7, HP: 3/6, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: Move: 15", AC: 4, HP: 19/23
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael nods as Ghorom runs through the roster of old gods. He wonders what the followers of those gods will say about those who worship Osoris. Maybe he will know soon.

As the conversation appears to be winding its way to a close, the Cimmerian begins to look intently thoughtful, like a man trying to do complex mathematics in his head. He scratches his bald head behind the ear and raises his hand. "Um, if only men pray to Osorus and only women worship Sekhmet, where do little Osorusians and Sekhmetites come from?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

The barbarian tries to follow all of Ghorom's words, but finds he cannot really wrap his mind around it all. But he nods along as if he understands.
Where does Mitra and Crom fit into all of this? he wonders.

When Arthafael asks his question, Roan just sighs and takes another long drink from his goblet. He cares little about the rutting practices of these ancients. Instead, he wonders if Gronda would like to have some fun in the furs before sleep?
Roan looks at her and smiles when he catches her eye.
Winter is coming...

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

After finishing his fill of the delicious meal, a great sleepiness overwhelms him in-spite of his most recent nap. Perhaps he ate to much and he was feeling the effects of gluttony. It could have been the history lesson of unknown gods with unpronounceable names. How many times did he lose consciousness as a youth at the village shrine, only to be woken up by the sharp pang of bamboo switch across his back held in his father's hand. Shifting in his chair Mako finds keep his eye lids open a very difficult task and a bit scary. For he does not know the native custom for disrespecting one's host in such a manner. In his home land, penalty would be removal of one's head by a hopefully skilled executioner with a sharpened blade. But one is not always that lucky. Rubbing his eye and sitting up straight Mako does his best to keep awake and silently prays the conversation will be over soon.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Jernau35 »

Loche

Loche finishes his meal and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. He considers the journey ahead, venturing to save a dying civilization from the grip of an unspeakable horror. "Weel, ah reckon they're getting a guid deal in trade fur kip 'n' boord. Fàilte though 'twas 'n' fresh as if it cam fae th' loch".
"Well, I reckon they are getting a good deal in exchange for bed and board. Welcome though it was and fresh as if it came from the lake".
He takes a last drink from the goblet. "Now, whaur kin ah git mah heid doon? We'll a' be bloody boggin' th'morra if we ur traivelin aroond hauf asleep."
"Now, where can I get my head down? We'll all be bloody useless tomorrow if we are walking around half asleep."
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#117 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda tires from the warm room, long conversation, food, and drink. She is ready for some sleep. She shakes her head no coyly at the barbarians silent advances, not quite sure what to think about the huge male just yet.

She is most curious as to why she is feeling so much better in here. Is there something in the food that makes her eyes so heavy? Desert turkey vulture maybe?

"Gracious host, before I sleep, can I ask you about these mists around us? Why do they make me feel so much better and is it possible to harness such power?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin is disturbed by all these reports of lost souls worshipping false "gods". He wonders if any of these benighted men and women can be saved and shown the true light of Lord Mitra.

He waits patiently and listens to the conversation at hand.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by tkrexx »

Atilla

Man-Haters, The short Barbarian finally speaks up, pointing at the Cat-Goddess, I have heard of them in other places. Some eat only Men. After the Man puts a child in them.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri listens politely to the descriptions of cults and powerful artifacts. "Hmm," he says. "Thank you for your instruction. One last thing, please: can you tell us what sorts of obstacles we might encounter in our initial travels tomorrow? More giant spiders? Yawning chasms? It would help me when considering what spells to prepare..."

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”