Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Civilization That Time Forgot

#121 Post by Inferno »

Realm of the Sons of Osorus (9)
Second Tier of the Great Pyramid, Lost City of Khemsa
Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day One. Night. 13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

Deep within the ancient ruins of a dying civilization, the explorers of the dreaming pyramid ask questions of their host Ghorom, Elder of Osorus.

Ghorom’s memories are a bitter tree bearing crimson fruit. He tells a tragic history of doom, decay and desolation.

Arthfael asks how the dwindling sects avoid extinction if they are divided by gender.
Ghorum replies, “We both doth recruit new members from the general populace, those dreaming worshipers of Zargoth whose number doth surpass that of all adherents of the old gods of Khemsa combined, by a factor of ten.
“Also, in the past, periods of... truce... were deemed necessary by all sects, for the purposes of rebirth and rejuvenation.
"Yet, every generation in Khemsa is smaller than the last.”

Kiri of the mysterious east asks, "Can you tell us what sorts of obstacles we might encounter in our initial travels tomorrow?”

Ghorom answers, “We doth rarely venture beyond the barricade, defending our own realm foremost. And our knowledge of the lower tiers is further suspect, as the infrequent messenger we doth receive cannot tell where drug-fueled delirium leaves off and true memory begins. But we doth believe:
"Below us art the other, misguided, sects of the old gods.
"Beneath them art the catacombs wherein lie the tombs of Xuthalhotep and his court. For thousands of years these bodies hath rested encased, undisturbed.
"Below that, doth begin the hinterlands of the realm of Zargoth; his vile priests, mad dreaming worshipers, and pale, subhuman beast-creatures: Verulians degenerated over the millennia in a black perversion of evolution until they no longer doth resemble us.
"Beneath that is Zargoth’s domain: the undercity and the heinous, profane life spawned by his foul presence, from the pits of blasphemous creation.
"And, throughout all abandoned regions of the great pyramid lurk nameless entities that hath risen up from the black abysses below.”

Gronda asks, "Gracious host, before I sleep, can I ask you about these mists around us? Why do they make me feel so much better and is it possible to harness such power?"

Ghorom answers, "They art the healing mists of Osorus. Harness their power? No need, my child. Their effects will last for months." (See 'PC Magic' below)
“Now, sleep in their blessed embrace, for the hour is late.”

Loche asks, "Whaur kin ah git mah heid doon?"

Ghorom stands and indicates this chamber’s bunks, blankets and furs. “Here, prithee, my friend. I shall hast men posted outside. Tonight thou shall sleep under the protection of the Sons of Osorus. Be at peace, honoured guests. We shall see thee in the morning. And again, thank thee.”

The Sons of Osorus bow and withdraw. The outlanders fall asleep beneath the ancient, lofty and imposing edifices of the pyramid for the first time.

Nightmares of elder things plague their dreams.

Ancient and sinister secrets no man should see, crawling up from beneath the lost city.

The cosmic obscenity of the abysmal horrors of Zargoth torments the subconscious soul with nightmares and psychic dread.
Until all memory of the glory of Khemsa and Verulia is left in ruin and catastrophe.

The explorers awaken in the morning. The incense has stopped burning and they are healed of their injuries.

They open the door, to find the watch still on duty. “Good morning, outlanders,” one hawk helmed guardian greets them. He goes to notify Ghorom of their waking.

High above, a sliver of bright sunlight from a small window cuts through the cool shadows of the towering hallway.

The strangers to Khemsa ready themselves. Ghorom and Horuk arrive. A white blemish, the mark of Osorus, is visible on their hands. “Greetings. I trust thou hast slept well?”

Golden warriors bring warm food, with which to break their fast, and supplies: packed rations of food and water, torches, arrows and bronze daggers; more than they can carry.

“I dareth not clothe thee in golden armour, lest ye be marked as our friends.” Ghorom says.
Then, after the explorers eat and provision themselves...

“Art thou ready to descend into the pyramid?”

Replies? Actions? Please replenish your rations, inventory and spells.

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 12/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 1: Move: 12", AC: 1, HP: 12/12
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 18/18, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 17/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 7/7, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 18/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7, HP: 6/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: Move: 15", AC: 4, HP: 23/23
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (All): All lost hit points are recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping for less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 hit point per hour. Duration: "months."
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

After filling his belly with breakfast, Mako studies his mystical tome for enchainments that will benefit the group on their travels today. He also packs food for the trip in his backpack.
OCC: Spells and equipment updated

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri gratefully restocks his supplies of water and takes a weeks worth of rations. He offers to carry food for Mako, if necessary, or anyone else nearing their carrying capacity - the weight to him is of little consequence. He also accepts the offer of more ammunition, strapping an additional quiver to the one he currently carries. When he's finished with the mundane preparations, he finds a few quiet moments to study his spell book, supplementing his reading with meditative shadow puppet reenactments of the effects he wishes to simulate with his magics. When finished, he looks to his grandfather amulet for a moment to gauge approval. He gets no distinct feeling from it at this time.

"I'm ready," he says, "Shall we go get some artifacts? What do you think the helmet does? Turns you into a bird or something? Eye rays? It must be something good..."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by tkrexx »

Atilla

Ahahh! The short Warrior scrambles to raid the arrow supply, also grabbing an extra quiver. A wicked grin stretches across his face. His sniffs and grunts in approval at what appears to be a weeks worth of rations, as well as filling his waterskin.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

The Vanir awakes and after emptying his bladder and bowels...hopefully with some means to at least wipe his arse...he digs into breakfast like it is going to be his last meal. He then restocks with enough rations for a week (added onto what he already has), and takes two full waterskins (his own makes three). He is then ready to leave.

"You are good people, Elder Ghorom. Pray to your god for us to return victorious. And if not, sing songs of our valiant deaths."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#126 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda also fills her quiver and takes another. She takes a weeks worth of food, glad that they wont be starving or thirsty anymore. Well, for a week or so anyway. She compares the mark on her hand to the new ones on their hosts, smiling at the men when she realizes that it is the same as hers. She is glad that these big strong men don't have to be afraid of the oversized arachnid any more.

"Lead the way to this barricade that you speak of. I would like to see where it is that you are asking us to venture into. It sounds dangerous."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Jernau35 »

Loche

Loche rummages amongst the supplies on offer. He packs away a weeks supply of rations, refills his own waterskin and adds two more. He also picks up four torches and lashes them to the left side of his pack. Eyeing the bronze daggers suspiciously at first, he picks up a pair, feeling their balance and weight. "Well, ah doubt they're as guid as mah ain twa pair, bit whin in Khemsa, dae as th' Khemsans do..." he mutters.
"Well, I doubt they are as good as my own two pair, but when in Khemsa, do as the Khemsans do..."
Turning to Ghorom he asks, "Now then, Ghorom, kin ony o` yer lads rustle up an mae belt fur me? Ah will strap a tae o` yer daggers o'er mah chest. 'N' an mae flask o' oil fur mah lantern wid be stoatin if ye kin guide it".
"Now then, Ghorom, can any of your lads rustle up an extra belt for me? I'll strap a couple of your daggers across my chest. And an extra flask of oil for my lantern would be great if you can manage it"
Once he is suitably equipped, he winks at the Sons of Osurus: "Lead oan Macduff".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#128 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin rises, recites his morning prayers, and dons his weapons and armor. He accepts a week's worth of rations and two skins of water. He expresses his gratitude and thanks the hosts for their kindness.

He turns to his companions, "Shall we be off?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael stocks up on rations and water.

Spells set.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Inferno »

The adventure continues in Chapter 4: Verulia in Darkness.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun