Rider of Rohan

Chapter 2: Pyramid of the Dead

#1 Post by Inferno »

Chapter 2: Pyramid of the Dead

Day One
The Lost City of the Ancients, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia
Early morning. Hot, clear, dry

In the dead city, surrounded by dead lands, the survivors of the dead caravan fill their pockets with the possessions of dead men.

Biblo the scribe recovers a foul tome of witchcraft from the red, wet corpse of the Stygian sorcerer. The Zamoran knows Stygia is an ancient dreaming empire of necromancy and other unnatural horrors.

He glimpses within and finds blasphemous arcane equations, recorded in blood.

The red dawn yellows as the starving, desperate heroes make their way through the eerie silence of the ageless necropolis toward the shade of the Great Pyramid. The tattooed druid drags the body of Thogg the barbarian behind him, should they be left with no other choice to survive. Thogg is large and heavy, but Arthfael is a Cimmerian and no stranger to hard work.

The triangular stone monolith is mirage-like; elusive, unreachable.

Approaching it, they repeatedly misjudge its proximity due to its impossible scale, until they finally reach its base at last (at 6). Only then can they begin to comprehend its awe inspiring magnitude. Greater than the royal palaces of Aquilonia, the vast libraries of Nemedia, and the holy temples of Vendhya, it is undoubtedly the largest man-made object on earth. A miraculous wonder of the Pre-Cataclysmic Age.

Astonishingly, its immense surface is comprised entirely of five foot tall stone blocks.

Millions and millions of them.

The unimaginable, breathtaking creation is over 400 feet tall, the height of a 40 story castle if such a prospect was even possible. And that is only what rises above the shifting sands of eternity. No entrance is visible. Perhaps it is buried deep below the desert floor.

Here, on its gigantic western face, there will be shade for hours. But once the midday sun is in the sky, there will be no escape.

Wait! Ambiguous, vague figures can be barely seen high atop the man-made mountain! A trick of the eye, no doubt; illusory phantoms conjured from exhausted, malnourished minds.

Actions?

Lost City Map:
The Lost City 4.jpg
The Lost City 4.jpg (654.02 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
The PCs are at 6.
The top of the map is South. The dotted line is your path coming from the NW. Movement rate on sand is halved.

• Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Biblo Phyle: Zamoran Southman Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User 1/1/1: AC 1, HP 7/7, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 1: AC 3, HP 11/11, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Goniza Devin: Nemedian Atlantean Cleric/Magic-User 1/1: AC 2, HP 2/6, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: AC 7, HP 11/17
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: AC 5, HP 16/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: AC: 7, HP: 6/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 1: AC 4, HP 6/12
Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun May 24, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: Pyramid of the Dead

#2 Post by Zhym »

"This spot will not protect us from the sun for long," says Arthfael, releasing the last-resort food source for the moment. "We should move to the ruins to the southwest. Does anyone have a tent, blanket, or something we could hang above us to protect from the sun? When we have created shelter, I will make water. Um, create water."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Loche, Pict, Thief

Wiping the sweat from his brow with his sleeve, Loche looks to Arthfael, and anyone else that may be considering following the Cimmerian. "Ye double back if you'd lik', bit ah ain't gaun nowhere," he says in his deep accent while plopping down into the sand and resting his back against the base of the pyramid. "Thir's something up thare, 'n' a'm gonnae fin' oot whit it's," the Pict continues, motioning with his head up the giant structure he now rests against.

"We haven't pure keeked fur an entrance 'ere. A'm gonnae tak' a breather fur a few hours, then soucht someplace tae put in 'ere oan th' ground. If not..." Peering up the blocky face of the marvelous structure, he clearly disregards its massive height. "Five foot stanes shuid be easy enough tae climb."

Translation:
"You double back if you'd like, but I ain't going nowhere."

"There's something up there, and I'm gonna find out what it is. We haven't really looked for an entrance here. I'm gonna take a breather for a few hours, then look for someplace to enter here on the ground. If not..."

"Five foot stones should be easy enough to climb."
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael decides that debate will be useless. He grabs the dead barbarian's ankles and makes for the ruins to the southwest. "Come with me if you want water," he says.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

Curious about the light that was seen atop the pyramid, Garrin reluctantly follows the party's only source of water to the ruins to the southwest.

Along the way he speaks, "I have no cloak or blanket to use as shelter. The only thing I possess are these pieces of clothing taken from the dead. We can tie them together and make do the best we can." He continues to tread beside the druid, trying to ignore the corpse he is hauling.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

As the Arthfael and Garrin argue, the mention of Mitra catches the stoic barbarian's attention. He opens his mouth to join in, but quickly thinks better of it.
Instead, he watches in revulsion as the druid drags the dead Cimmerian away. Loud enough to be heard, Roan says, somewhat reverently for the barbarian, "It is forbidden to eat the flesh of men."

He follows along until they reach the pyramid and the shade. When Arthfael leaves for the ruins and the promise of water, Roan does not follow. He watches Garrin follow after the future cannibal and then says again. "It is forbidden to eat the flesh of men."
He then turns to the Pict and sits down beside the man in the shade.
"If the druid resorts to eating the dead, he will become a living ghoul. And...I will do my damnedest to kill him."
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

Garrin hears Roan's warning and continues to try to plead with Arthfael, "The Vanir speaks true. To eat the flesh of your fellow man is blasphemy. You will damn both his soul and your own if you choose to partake of this fruit. Please,...leave the body to rest in the dust. Hunger gnaws at us all, but please,...leave the flesh to the sands. Even if we find no rabbits, carrion birds will soon alight upon the dead, and our arrows will find their marks. We will then be fed." He continues to trudge through the sands, desperately trying to persuade the nature-priest to hear his words.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, sage

I trudge along with the others toward the great pyramid.

"Did you see that? Men atop the pyramid?"

I rub my eyes.

"We cannot all have seen the same mirage. Something lurks within these ancient stones. There are legends..."

It is too hot to talk.

We reach welcome shade. I shake sand from my beard. I take rest before following the Cimmerian and his proferred water.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda remains silent as the party approaches the pyramidal structures. As she was sometimes forced to do as a slave girl, her mouth stays agape during the entire approach. She is in absolute wonderment from the sheer size and shape of these buildings and can't believe that the others aren't as awed by them as she is. What is this place? Why is it so large? It's as if the gods themselves live here.

She thinks about climbing it, but she checks the bloody bandage on her arm first. It looks bad. She doesn't want to leave anyone behind, but the need for a safe and shaded place to rest seems paramount at the moment. She follows the cannibal druid, ready for some water, but she looks back to the stragglers as she departs.

There will be time to search the perimeter of this place later, after the sun begins to set. We should not separate our forces now. Let us all go rest and drink so we can remain strong!

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by ken-do-nim »

Goniza offers, "If we rest, I can memorize a spell to grant myself the ability to climb this pile of rocks fairly easily. That being said, wouldn't the builders of such a monolith have put a ground level entrance in? I still think we need to scout the perimeter looking for one. Whenever you think we are ready to do so, Gronda."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Inferno »

Day One

In the lost city of the ancients, the murderous heat begins to take hold.

The heroes stand in the shadow of the monumental Great Pyramid (6).

Loche slumps against one of its five foot tall stone blocks and shares his intention to rest a few hours, then embark on an expedition around the base of the Great Pyramid to find an entrance at ground level. Goniza of Nemedia offers to join him.

Arthfael drags the corpse of Thogg the Cimmerian southwest, to seek shade in the ancient ruins of what appears to have once been a temple (7).

He is followed by Biblo, Garrin, Gronda and Mako. The savage former slave implores Goniza, Loche and Roan to stay together with them.

Broken pillars, as thick as treetrunks and carved with timeless hieroglyphs, ring the entrance of the 25 foot tall stone sanctuary. The roof appears intact; there will be lasting shelter from the sun here.
The temple doorway faces directly into the center of the western slope of the Great Pyramid. Their architectural relationship is fraught with meaningful connections.

The explorers of the vast, yawning gulfs of aeons can't help but wonder how many centuries have passed since Man had last trod the stone floors of this temple? ...How many millennia?

Actions?

Lost City Map:
The Lost City 5.jpg
The Lost City 5.jpg (604.42 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
The PCs are divided between 6 and 7.
The top of the map is South. The dotted line is your path coming from the NW. Movement rate on sand is halved.

• Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Biblo Phyle: Zamoran Southman Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User 1/1/1: AC 1, HP 7/7, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Goniza Devin: Nemedian Atlantean Cleric/Magic-User 1/1: AC 2, HP 2/6, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun May 24, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

"I suggest we rest while the sun grows in strength. I will volunteer for first watch."

The paladin will spend his time watching for any birds or game that might present itself. He will also search around the broken temple in hopes of finding a secret passage.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael regards the temple as he approaches it. Once again the ruins remind him of the impermanence of all things made by man. Even temples to the gods do not escape the sands of time. Or the literal sands of the desert. Thinking about the gods, he looks again at the symbols on the temple. Does he recognize them as belonging to any particular god?

At the temple entrance, he drops the Cimmerian barbarian's body. As the fool Pict and superstitious Vanir reminded him, some gods do not like what he may have to do. Better find out whose temple this is before doing something inside that might offend them.

He retrieves some mistletoe from a pouch, holds it up, says a few words in a strange tongue, and enters the temple itself.
Arthfael casts Detect Snares and Pits before entering the temple.
He waits half an hour for those who remained at the pyramid to arrive if they change their minds. Once he and all who would accept his water are inside, he steps up to a wall or a pillar and begins drawing on it with one finger. He traces intricate patterns in the dust: waves, droplets, symbols; all surrounding an inverted teardrop symbol. As he draws, he chants. "Dobhar dobhar dobhar, gáethaire struth snigh."
Cast Create Water. Duh. :)
After ten minutes of drawing and chanting, he stands back. Clean, clear water begins to flow from the stone like a natural spring from a rock. He motions for everyone to step up and fill their water skins, drink, and refill them until the water is exhausted.

When that work is done, he settles in for a day's rest. "I have seen not bird in the sky, nor tracks in the sand, nor even a single blade of plant life since the caravan was lost," the muscular, bald druid says slowly and soberly. "Not even plants that can thrive in some deserts live here." The designs tattooed on his face gather together as he frowns and sighs heavily. "I can find food when others cannot. I know the bark that can make a tea that will feed a man for a day. I know the mushrooms that are food and those that kill. I know where prey hides from predators." He looks each man and woman in the eyes. "So believe me when I tell you this: the dead man, and those we left on the battlefield, are probably the only food within miles of here."

"Perhaps an oasis is not far," he admits. "Even if so, not knowing where it is, we would die searching for it. Scorpions or insects may crawl beneath the sands, but we cannot harvest enough to feed ourselves and would probably be stung to death if we tried. Cactuses and other plants might lie beneath the dunes, covered by the storm. But wouldn't other plants have been exposed by the shifting sands? "

"I do not want to eat that," he says, jerking his head toward the body that lies by the door. "But it may be the only way to avoid starving to death. We must each decide what we are willing to do to survive."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda gladly drinks her fill of the water and then some. She need not sleep to recover magic so she is content to take any watch delegated to her. She spends some time searching the grounds for any tracks that might present themselves. She also looks around the inside of the temple for any hidden or secret doors or compartments.

I will need to be pretty hungry before eating the flesh of a man. I prefer to look around in these huge structures first before resorting to cannibalism, though. We might find something to eat inside them, but I guess we should be prepared if we don't.

She rests on the stone floor, trying not to think about her throbbing arm and growling stomach.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

After some minutes of sulking, Roan gets up and follows the others to the ruins of the temple. Seeing the water rush from the stone overwhelms his distrust of magic as all he can think about is soothing his parched throat and aching stomach. He drinks his fill and then refills his waterskin a second time before grunting his thanks to the druid.

He eyes the dead Cimmerian and listens to Arthfael, while slowly shaking his head. Not understanding the concept of spells and such, he asks, "If you can summon water from stone, can you not likewise summon food?"

To Gronda he replies, "Once rested, let us search this ruined temple. Who knows what we find buried inside."
Winter is coming...

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, MU/C/F

I drink deep of the water from stone.

"With proper rest and prayer, I shall be able to bring forth water."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

hedgeknight wrote:"If you can summon water from stone, can you not likewise summon food?"
"All things contain water," answers the druid in a deep baritone. "Even here, water hides in the stones, sands, and, yes, even the very air of the desert. My skill lies in drawing it forth."

"It is different with food. We live by eating what has died. It is the way of things. I have not the power to bring forth food where there is none."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Inferno »

Day One

In the silent necropolis of aeons uncounted, the dire caravan survivors rest in the shade of the mountainous Great Pyramid and an adjacent ruined Temple.

Arthfael the Cimmerian's mystic vision sees there are no man-made snares or deadfalls awaiting them. Then the tattooed druid performs a miracle and produces gallons of cold, fresh water, slaking the explorers' thirst and saving their lives. However, they all still remain in the deathgrip of ravenous hunger, and begin to consider the unimaginable.

Garrin and Gronda volunteer to take first watch. They see no sign of any living thing within this desolate, parched landscape.

Before sleeping, the group searches the temple ruins. Beyond the low wall on its eastern face, the ruins of the Great Pyramid's temple are open on all sides, and quickly found to be empty. Cool shadows linger here from last night, and morning dew beads across ancient high ceilings. Stone, bowl-like fonts are discovered and can hold some of the water that Arthfael created.

Within the temple are carved hieroglyphics that have been violently defaced, perhaps thousands of years ago. Biblo and Goniza decipher and relay what they can of the damaged proto-Stygian pictoglyphs of this long dead civilization. The surviving cuneiforms speak of gods unheard of in the Hyborian Age:

Osorus: ('oh-SAUR-us') Falcon-headed Pharaoh of the Gods, ruler of the sun, the moon and the stars, of war, and life everlasting; "the distant one," the "one who is above, over."

Sekhmet: ('SEK-met') Goddess of war, fertility, healing, women and of the sun. She is depicted as a lioness, the fiercest hunter known to man.

Uthoth: ('OO-thoth') Ibis-headed scribe of the gods, associated with the arbitration of godly disputes, magic, language, knowledge, science, commerce and thieves. He bears startling similarities to the Stygian god, Ibis.

Sutekh: ('SOO-tek') Canine-headed god of the desert, storms, disorder, suffering and violence. This usurper is afflicted with a strong resemblance to the Stygian god, Set.

The destruction wrought upon this engraved saga is focused primarily on these four great gods. Another epic carving depicts Sutekh and Osorus bestowing adoration and blessings upon the mighty pharaoh of pharaohs, Xuthalhotep.

This sacred veneration culminates in Xuthalhotep's preparation to join the gods in the afterlife and become one with them. Paintings depict his majesty preserved and prepared for the supernatural journey far beyond the veil of this mortal world.

More undamaged carvings within the defiled temple indicate that Xuthalhotep's eternal tomb is secreted somewhere deep within the Great Pyramid that was constructed by thousands of his slaves over decades of their brutal lives.

Entombed with him is everything he will need to dwell in glory forever in the Land of the Dead: slaves, wives, pets, weapons, jewelry, furniture, clothing, wine...
and food.

Actions?

• Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/12, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 1/3 2nd lvl
Magic:
Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun May 24, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, swordsage

I study the pictoglyphs of the gods and make further recordings in my journal.

"Great treasures may yet wait within the pyramid temple... if we can get past our sustenance challenge."

Feeling drowsy, I settle into a shady corner and try to sleep.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

The pious knight is somewhat unsettled at having to rest beneath the gaze of these heretic 'gods.' Not wanting to sully his prayers to Mitra by calling on The God in this shattered temple, he steps out onto the sands beneath the open sky and prays that he and this band of unlikely comrades will find nourishment soon.

He then returns to the temple, oils his sword and armor, and takes his turn at watch.

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”