Chapter 2: Pyramid of the Dead

Inferno
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: Pyramid of the Dead

#321 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri stands up straight, frowning slightly at the others, wondering if they also heard the voice. Seeing they apparently did, and also the reluctance of some, like Garrin, to interact with the presence at all, he asks: "With all due respect, voice, spoken from a position of my own ignorance of the significance of your sigil - are you a force of evil?" From the relaxed look on his face, it's hard to tell how Kiri would feel about this. If the answer is negative he will thank the spirit for its assistance and drink again from the fountain.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, antiquarian

"No we didn't see that gelatinous creature," I respond. "It must have been around the corner. Perhaps we could lure it into the chamber of beetles."

I await for any of the others to respond to my inquiry about the knowledge-granting voice before I broach a question. While waiting I fill my water-skin with the healing waters, taking a few extra sips for good measure.

On a lark I place a corpse of a dead baby spider in the water to see if it is brought back from death.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#323 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Lifting his head to speak to an unseen entity from above he asks "Is there an entrance/exit to this pyramid structure other than the entrance/exit we entered in?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Inferno »

Secret Shrine of the Oracle of Osorus (3)
The Great Pyramid of the Lost City, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day One. Evening. 13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

shrine.jpg
shrine.jpg (301.98 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
In the secret shrine, a mirage of two all-seeing eyes appear in the luminous waters of a holy font, and the sacred oracle of Osorus pronounces in speech like indelible flames:

"SPEAK PETITIONER AND HAVE THY SAY,
THAT I MAY ANSWER YEA OR NAY."

Biblo the Zamoran scholar sage asks: "Has this voice spoken before?"
Before he can ask his second question, the oracle speaks:

"AYE."

Kiri Khutan, spellsword of the far East, asks: "Are you a force of evil?"

"NAY."

Mako the conjurer of distant Khitai asks: ""Is there an entrance/exit to this pyramid structure other than the entrance/exit we entered in?"

"AYE."

Arthfael of Cimmeria holds his tongue.

The oracle says:
"THINE ANSWERS HATH BEEN SHOWN,
NOW YE ARE OSORUS' OWN."

The eyes vanish from the waters. Suddenly, a small, white, strangely shaped blemish appears on the back of the right hand of Biblo, Kiri and Mako. The explorers have seen this symbol before, among the hieroglyphs of the ancients:

The newly emptied stomachs of Biblo, Gronda and Roan rumble.

Gronda the savage drinks of the fountain and is miraculously healed of her weariness and her wounds. (+6hp)
Kiri of Kambuja drinks once more of the sacred font, but his new injuries are not cured.
Unseen, Biblo the libriomancer drinks again of the waters and feels no effect. He places a dead spiderling in the healing waters and it does not return from death.

Attila the nomadic barbarian listens at the secret door through which they had entered. He hears a wet slithering.
Roan of the northern wastes searches for other secret passages from this hidden chapel, and finds none.

Arthfael finds a concealed handhold in the northern wall. Loche listens at that same door for the mammoth tarantula. The ornery Pict murmurs in surprise, "Whit th' hell? I kin hear bloody voices laughing."

Actions?

Map:
Pyramid Tier 2.14.jpg
Pyramid Tier 2.14.jpg (459.76 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
One square = 10 feet. Depicted monsters are shown in their last known locations.

Rolls and Rulings: Image

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: AC 6, HP 7/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 1: AC 1, HP 11/12, Torch
    Biblo Phyle: Zamoran Southman Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User 1/1/1: AC 3, HP 7/7, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: AC 5, HP 15/18, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: AC 7, HP 14/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: AC 4, HP 3/7, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: AC 5, HP 15/18, Torch
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: AC: 7, HP: 5/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: AC 4, HP 22/23, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Invisibility (Biblo): Ingested one dose of potion. Duration: unknown.
PC Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#325 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

Hearing the Pict's words, Garrin approaches the door, "Laughter...? What in the Nine Circles of Hell?!"

He grips his blade in preparation of the next encounter.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, arcanist

I look at the tattoo on my hand and shake my head.

"A grappling hook in the indent may pull it open," I say.

"Laughter beyond - a trap, or someone who commands the spider? Neither good."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

Hearing of the handhold in the wall, Roan checks it out and looks higher to see if the handhold leads to another. If so, he will attempt to climb the wall, figuring there might be an opening or some other way out higher up.
Winter is coming...

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#328 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Mako peers down in shock at his exposed arm and the brand that now appears there. "Biblo! What does this mean! Have we been cursed!"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Starbeard »

Attila the Hyrkanean

"Do not bother trying to remove it," spits Attila as he points to the tattoos newly stained into his companions' hands. "It hurts, and only grows back."

He examines the possibility of opening the door into the hallway only a crack. "If we have oil and flame, we might burn the weird thing out in the hall as well. It seems safer than venturing back into that large room full of spiders with laughing bellies."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, arcanist
DadsAngry wrote:Mako:

Mako peers down in shock at his exposed arm and the brand that now appears there. "Biblo! What does this mean! Have we been cursed!"
"I am not sure," I answer. "Time will tell."

"I have not seen this other threat, but if it eats flesh perhaps we could lure it with a trail of dead spiderlings into the chamber of beetles?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#331 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

The solider of Mitra turns to the Zamoran anarchist, "Aye, I am for this plan. There was another door in the beetle chamber, and the grappling hook remains in the shaft. It is out of reach, but perhaps we can devise a plan for its retrieval."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#332 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda is happy that the water did not kill her. She continues to search around the walls and floor of this room as the others discuss the party's next move.

I think the rubbery cube creature is most assuredly hungry. It tried to eat us as we entered the hall.

I think a trail of dead spiders just might do the trick. Shall we poke our head out first to see if the thing yet stalks us?

We must try something!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Inferno »

Secret Shrine of the Oracle of Osorus (3)
The Great Pyramid of the Lost City, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day One. Evening. 13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

Mystical insight and prophecy are bestowed by the enigmatic oracle of the dead god, Osorus.

Attila of Hyrkanea opens the southern door no wider than a sword blade and peers out. The eerie green glow of the unearthly lesser shoggoth no longer illuminates the dark, rough tunnel.

As the explorers confer, Gronda the savage searches the secret shrine of Osorus and finds nothing heretofore undiscovered.

Garrin of Argos approaches the northern door, behind which laughter was heard by Loche. The Atlantean paladin unsheathes steel.
Roan of Vanaheim examines the hidden handhold in the northern door. It has no twin. Its sole purpose is to open the secret door.

Actions?

Map:
Pyramid Tier 2.15.jpg
Pyramid Tier 2.15.jpg (52.5 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
One square = 10 feet.

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: AC 6, HP 7/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 1: AC 1, HP 11/12, Torch
    Biblo Phyle: Zamoran Southman Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User 1/1/1: AC 3, HP 7/7, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: AC 5, HP 15/18, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: AC 7, HP 14/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: AC 4, HP 3/7, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: AC 5, HP 15/18, Torch
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: AC: 7, HP: 5/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: AC 4, HP 22/23, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Invisibility (Biblo): Ingested one dose of potion. Duration: unknown.
PC Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Perhaps I'll stay here and make sure the spider door remains closed while you place a trail of spiderlings - I don't feel quite up to battling a slithering cube, if that is what it was," suggests Kiri as he moves to the secret door and leans on it, ready to resist at the slightest sign of pressure from the other side from giant spiders or their laughing owners. "At least I no longer starve. Though I'm still hungry enough to eat a bit of roast spider, should the opportunity arise. Or beetle."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#335 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

"We must stay together if we are to survive," the Atlantean asserts. "The gelatinous fiend has left to pursue other prey. Now is our chance to escape this rat hole. I am for facing the beetles in the room beyond. The door behind bars must hide something of importance."

Garrin looks disparingingly at the white brand on his hand before joining the Hyrkanian at the entrance. He opens the door further and cautiously steps through.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#336 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda seems frustrated that there was nothing else to find in the walls or floor.

"Do we have no way of dealing with those nasty bugs all at once? A giant ball of flame, perhaps?"

She looks to the spell casters one by one, hoping they possess such powers.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, son of Rune shrugs and shows Gronda his torches. "I have more. Fire seemed to scare off the spiders, maybe it will work for the beetles. Ya think?"
Winter is coming...

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Gronda seems frustrated that there was nothing else to find in the walls or floor.

"Do we have no way of dealing with those nasty bugs all at once? A giant ball of flame, perhaps?"

She looks to the spell casters one by one, hoping they possess such powers.
At Gronda's question, Kiri looks up from examining his newly marked hand. He finds he does not feel alarmed about it, his resignation probably stemming from general fatigue. At least it isn't evil, he thinks. Though at this point he's not sure even that news would rattle him.

"I have no further useful incantations for today, lady," he says. "Nor a "ball of flame" at any time. Nor any spell for the discipline of a group of bugs. My spells, when I have them, tend to be more utilitarian in nature. Like for preventing fellow magicians from precipitous journeys down dark shafts..." He chuckles and gives Mako a meaningful look. "I, of course will accompany the group to help as I can with the beetles if you wish. I thought there was talk of laying a spidering trail for a mere few yards and thought to prevent the reentry of Mother Longlegs."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#339 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda nods her head, being used to doing most of the dirty work. She picks up a few of the dead baby spiders and moves to the door. If she hears nothing coming from the hallway beyond, she opens the door and has a look. If she sees no immediate threats, she sneakily moves to the corner again and peeks around it.

If she spots the cube, she tosses it a dead spider to see what it does. If the creature moves towards it, she will try to lay a trail of the dead things that leads right up to the beetle door.

She tries to throw that door open while still giving herself enough time to retreat back into the temple with the others.
Let me know if you need any rolls for that. Thanks!

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#340 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

"If we can lure the gelatinous beast into the room with the beetles, a well placed torch and a flask of oil might relieve us of both sets of foes," Garrin suggests while standing cautiously at the open door.

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”