Chapter 1: A Shallow Grave of Sand

Inferno
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: Shallow Grave of Sand

#81 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael cleans the blood from his scimitar and begins searching the bodies of his slain enemies. As he searches, he casts a wary eye at the rising sun. "Must find shelter," he says.

"And food," he adds, staring with furrowed brow at the dead.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

With the slash of the Cimmerian's blade, Roan staggers back, grabbing his throat with a free hand. Once the Cimmerian falls, Roan drops his axe and tears off a piece of tunic or rips up one of his sacks and attempts to staunch the wound.
"Frackin' dog!" he rasps, spitting blood.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

Garrin stares down at the body of the dead barbarian, again regretful that he was forced to take a human life but realizing it is sometimes a necessary evil. He wipes the gore from his blade and kneels to staunch the bleeding of the unconscious Goniza. "These wounds are grave. He must be carefully moved into the shade," he calls out to anyone who will listen. The warrior-priest then places his hands on Goniza's forehead and whispers a short prayer to Mitra. A pale blue light issues from the paladin's fingertips as he does all that he can for his fallen comrade.
Garrin casts Laying Hands on Goniza (+1 hp).
Last edited by Mant72 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, antiquarian spellsword

It's done thank the gods. Then I hear a noise behind me and spin around, arrow nocked.

"You were on our caravan." It is the man from Khitai.
DadsAngry wrote:Mako:

Arms still raised, palms out "Yes, Yes I was with the caravan. Please, please lower your weapon. I do not wish to harm you or be harmed. My name is Mako. I was separated from the caravan when the Four Winds took vengeance on us. I wandered for days looking for food or water in this barren landscape. I only found ancient structures but the men who built them long gone. I've travelled much distance, endured such hardship. I do not wish this wasteland to be my burial mound warrior."
"We were set upon by others as you can see," I answer, lowering the bow and pointing at the concluded battle. "You are welcome to join us. Come."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#85 Post by dmw71 »

"Weel dane, mukker." Loche says to Gronda appreciatively. "He wis a muckle yin, aye?"

After watching the heavily scarred savage yank free her arrows and turn away, the Pict turns his attention to the giant form of his slain adversary. "Let's see whit ye'v git 'ere," he says, talking aloud while he works. He starts by carefully inspecting the fallen man's clothing and footwear, as well any packs or pouches he may have had. "Mibbie ye'v git some fairn?" he says hopefully, continuing his monologue.

Once he completes his thorough search, Loche looks to rejoin the others. "Sae, whaur tae, mukkers?"
Translation:
"Well done, friend."
"He was a big one, yeah?"
"Let's see what you've got here."
"Maybe you've got some food?"
"So, where to, friends?"
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Inferno »

Day One
The Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia
Dawn. Hot, clear, dry

The battle is over. The dead city is silent once more.

Biblo the libriomancer enters the now-quiet battlefield with another survivor from the doomed caravan of Zorello the Merchant. Everyone recognizes him: Mako of distant Khitai.

The sorcerous Easterner from far off, exotic lands recognizes them as well:
    • Arthfael Griogarach: Dark, bald, tattooed Cimmerian Northman Druid. Arthfael searches the arrow pierced bodies of Zhel the Shemite and Khokegi of Iranistan and finds two scimitars, two curved daggers, a short bow, a quiver of 12 hawk-feathered arrows, bone dice, 15 gold pieces and 41 silver.

Biblo Phyle: Literary, white-bearded Zamoran Southman Arcanist.

Garrin Locke: Noble, young Argosian Atlantean Paladin. Garrin reverently prays and lays hands upon the gravely wounded body of Goniza (+2 hp). But the Atlantean sorcerer-priest does not awaken.

Goniza Devin: Enigmatic Atlantean Sorcerer Priest, now nearly dead from battle wounds. Critical but stable, he should not be moved.

Gronda: Scarred, dark Zembabweian Savage Scout and Ex-Slave. Gronda grimly pulls Osak's barbed arrow through her forearm and bandages it with a strip of cloth. She searches the butchered corpses and finds:
        • on Amenhotu of Stygia: a jeweled dagger, a book bound in human skin whose pages have pictoglyphs and symbols written in blood, a secret canteen with a few mouthfuls of water remaining, 121 gold pieces, 51 silver, and an ornate ring with the symbol of the Eye of Set.
        • on Osak the nomad barbarian: a horse bow, 16 barbed arrows in a quiver, a scimitar, a hand axe, a curved dagger, 41 gold and 20 silver.
      Loche: Mysterious Pict Savage Thief. Loche searches the mutilated corpse of Thogg the barbarian and finds a bastard sword, a hand axe, a broad belt, 30 gold, 32 silver.

Roan, Son of Rune: Massive, red-maned Vanir Northman Barbarian. Roan stoically staunches the bleeding at his throat (barbarian first aid: +1 hp).

The heat is beginning to rise, like the surface of an iron skillet over a roaring fire. The sun no longer glints upon objects unseen atop the distant Great Pyramid.

Actions?

• Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Biblo Phyle: Zamoran Southman Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User 1/1/1: AC 1, HP 7/7, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 1: AC 3, HP 11/11, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Goniza Devin: Nemedian Atlantean Cleric/Magic-User 1/1: AC 2, HP -3/6, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: AC 7, HP 11/17
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: AC 5, HP 16/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: AC: 7, HP: 6/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 1: AC 4, HP 6/12
Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun May 24, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

While administering to the wounds of the gravely injured Goniza, Garrin determines that moving the man could result in his death.

The soldier-priest desperately calls out to the others for help, "He needs to be protected from this unforgiving, scalding sun. He needs to be under shade."

Garrin rises and proceeds to search the fallen. He hopes to gather any cloaks, robes, shirts, long weapons to serve as "poles", etc. that may prove helpful in constructing a make-shift leanto or tent to guard Goniza from the relentless rays.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo, eclectic

I trudge over to Osak's body and try to pull out my arrow. Seeing the dead man's quiver, I instead take six of his arrows to replace my own.

The Stygian - let's see what he has.

"May I see that book, Gronda?"

I page through the tome, hoping it is the Stygian's spell book.

That Goniza looks like he's at death's door. I move over to him and concentrate, praying to Ibis for healing powers. I feel the familiar warmth flow through my hands and then brush the wounds.(CLW [1d8] = 6)

"Thank Ibis," I whisper to Goniza as he stirs awake.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Not having anything clothing to use to shade Goniza, Mako uses his body to shield the man's head from the sun until a more permanent solution arises. He looks around at the bodies.
"Why did they attack you? Copper, silver or gold would have been little value to them in this environment." He says to the group.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#90 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

Garrin continues to tend to Goniza while answering Mako, "The fiends were driven mad with thirst and hunger. We offered to share our water, but they chose the path of violence. May their souls now find peace."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#91 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda is surprised at the polite ways of the Zamoran, so she happily hands over the book to him.

She collects the valuables from each body and stores it for future distribution. "Not like you can eat gold", she thinks to herself. The Set eye ring catches her eye so she tries it on for size. She also replaces her spent arrows and then dumps the last drops from the canteen onto the faces of the vanquished.

Wet your mouths, scum! You will need it where you're headed!

She then moves around to check for possessions on the remaining dead before she begins studying the tracks that the attacking men made. She tries to determine if they lead away from any other parts of the ruins.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

"Piss on their peace!" Roan growls in response to Garrin's remarks. "They attacked us and paid the blood price. They can dance with the devils in hell for all I care."

Roan glares at the Pict thief, Loche, as he pilfers the body of the Cimmerian that damn near cut his head off. "Part of that belongs to me. I paid fer it, sure as shit."

He takes a swig from his waterskin and swallows painfully as he watches Biblo heal the near-death Goniza. "Will he live? Can he walk?"
Winter is coming...

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#93 Post by ken-do-nim »

Grognardsw wrote:Biblo, eclectic

I trudge over to Osak's body and try to pull out my arrow. Seeing the dead man's quiver, I instead take six of his arrows to replace my own.

The Stygian - let's see what he has.

"May I see that book, Gronda?"

I page through the tome, hoping it is the Stygian's spell book.

That Goniza looks like he's at death's door. I move over to him and concentrate, praying to Ibis for healing powers. I feel the familiar warmth flow through my hands and then brush the wounds.(CLW [1d8] = 6)

"Thank Ibis," I whisper to Goniza as he stirs awake.
Oh sweet! Goniza casts cure light wounds again on himself to bring his hit points back up to full. He surveys the battlefield, "I guess you all won. Phew!"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#94 Post by dmw71 »

Loche goes about pilfering the corpse of his fallen adversary; hearing, but not immediately responding to Roan. Having no use for his weapons, or anything other than his coins, the Pict collects what he feels he earned and slides a majority of the fallen man's gold coins into one small pouch dangling from his belt, and a majority of the silver coins into a second small belt pouch on his opposite hip. "Ah left ye ten o' each," he finally says to the massive barbarian, indicting ten gold coins and ten silver coins. "And ye kin hae his weapons, 'n' anythin' else you'd lik'" Considering the matter closed, he leaves the large, wounded man to pick at whatever he left behind.

Loche, oblivious to the condition of Goniza, again wonders aloud how the the group should proceed. "We cannae bade 'ere. Th' sun wull murdurr us," he states.

Translation:
"I left you ten of each."
"And you can have his weapons, and anything else you'd like."
"We can't stay here. The sun will kill us."
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan grunts suspiciously and then begins to look over Thogg's weapons and items. He will heft the dead Cimmerian's weapons and see if they feel lighter than his own. Otherwise, he will take the dead man's belt and hand axe as keep sakes...along with the coin. ;)
Last edited by hedgeknight on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Mako observes the behavior of the men in front of him. He questions in his mind whether the men bleeding into the sand were the aggressors or the prey. It would certainly seem that the group of survivors he has fallen into have little regard for the dead and their claims to their earthly possessions. The true way to enlightenment was to discard ones material possession but not robbed of them. Would these men also treat my lifeless shell the same way? Out of fear he remains silent.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Zhym »

dmw71 wrote:Loche, oblivious to the condition of Goniza, again wonders aloud how the the group should proceed. "We cannae bade 'ere. Th' sun wull murdurr us," he states.
Arthfael nods emphatically and points his spear toward any nearby structures.

He also helps search any bodies that have not already been searched.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Inferno »

Day One
The Lost City of the Ancients, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia
Dawn. Hot, clear, dry

At the lost city, the sun rises and with it the deadly heat.

As the thrill of battle dies away, the hole it leaves is filled with ravenous hunger and thirst.

Goniza is as gravely wounded as Amenhotu's pride. Garrin and Mako attempt to shelter him from the coming sun. Arthfael the druid points his spear at shade cast by the broken ruins.

Biblo the scribe prays and chants over the bloody form of Goniza, and the Atlantean sorcerer-priest awakens from his coma and continues the prayers. Biblo then eagerly descends upon the tome of flesh and blood. The Zamoran booklover will need to weave sorceries of revelation to be certain, but he believes the wicked volume is the spell book of the black Stygian wizard.

Gronda the savage pours precious water onto the massacred bodies. Then she tracks their footprints on the sand floor of the ageless necropolis, finding where they waited in ambush beneath the uncaring eternal gaze of towering stone colossi.

Mako of Khitai watches silent and wary as the others bicker and strip the corpses.

Loche fills his pockets with heavy coin.

Roan the barbarian assesses Thogg's war sword. While it's as long as the reign of an unjust king, Roan judges it to be no better crafted than his own Vanir-forged steel.

Arthfael of Cimmeria searches the other red wet ruins of men and finds:
    • on Shevata the Zamoran thief: a short scimitar, a curving dagger, a satchel of needles and octopus ink for tattooing, 45 gold coins, and a small gold scarab inlaid with emeralds.
    • on Chedaki the Hyrkanian horseman: a scimitar, a spear, a knife, a horsebow, 10 black arrows, 8 gold pieces and 21 silver. In the false bottom of his quiver, Arthfael finds one large pink pearl wrapped in a linen cloth.
    • on Skuth the Brythunian deserter: a grappling hook, rope, a knife and nothing else.
Gronda of Zembabwei finds more single file footprints that lead to and from the Great Pyramid.

The dead men had entered the forgotten city of the ancients, moved east toward the Pyramid, doubled back at some point, and lay in wait for the desperate heroes to walk into their trap.

Actions?

Lost City Map:
The Lost City 3.jpg
The Lost City 3.jpg (663.31 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
The PCs are at 5.
The top of the map is South. The dotted line is your path coming from the NW. Movement rate on sand is halved.

• Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Biblo Phyle: Zamoran Southman Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User 1/1/1: AC 1, HP 7/7, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 1: AC 3, HP 11/11, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Goniza Devin: Nemedian Atlantean Cleric/Magic-User 1/1: AC 2, HP 2/6, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: AC 7, HP 11/17
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: AC 5, HP 16/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: AC: 7, HP: 6/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 1: AC 4, HP 6/12
Magic:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun May 24, 2020 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

Relieved that Goniza has returned to the living, Garrin gently clasps the sorcerer-priest's shoulder and gives him a faint smile, "Praise Mitra. Now to get out of this unforgiving sun."

The paladin stands and surveys the area once again. "I know the sun is relentlessly punishing, and to climb these colossal stairs may seem foolhardy, but I am still curious about the light we saw shining at the top. What does everyone say about making a circuit around the greatest of these pyramids to seek entry, and if no ingress is found, then we ascend to the peak?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael stashes the coins, jewels, gems, and any items that look unusual. He shakes his bald tattooed head emphatically at Garrin. "Explore at dark," he says. "Get out of sun now."
"Any items that look unusual" includes the black arrows. If any weapons look to be of better quality than typical, he'll grab those too.

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”