Chapter 1: A Shallow Grave of Sand

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 1: Shallow Grave of Sand

#101 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda likes the look of the quiver with the secret compartment that Arthfael has found on the dead archer she killed. She takes it and puts her own arrows into it, discarding her old one in the sand with the other non valuable items.

These bastards were the ones making those single file tracks in the sand! That was a smart ambush and could have gone a lot worse for us. The gods were with us today. Let us get out of this sun and find ourselves something to eat. She nods at the paladin and his plan to investigate the pyramid's peak.

She looks at the many corpses lying around staining the sand red. She winces at the thought of last resorts, wondering how nutritious manflesh is.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Zhym »

Oh, and if anyone wants those black arrows, just post that you're taking them and they're yours. Arthfael can't use them anyway. He's just grabbing them in case they turn out to be useful for someone else.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune
"Shade is good > let's go find it." Roan says, sounding kinda raspy from his torn throat. "Mayhap some water in an old well...if the gods be good."

Roan then straps on the dead Cimmerian's wide belt, along with the hand axe, and the coins (10 gold, 10 silver), and stands, ready to leave the dead and seek shelter.
Winter is coming...

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, arcanist

"You owe me," I tell the recovered Goniza with a friendly smile.

"Aye, let us seek shade and make light effort until dark," I say to the others. "Unless we can find entrance to cooler chambers within."

I turn back to the Stygian's book. It is heavy - a good sign. Much of it is in secret occultic script requiring a minor dweomer to decode. I have not the magick equation in my head now; something for tomorrow if we survive.

I heft the book pleasingly, sniffing the parchment, examining the strong binding and sturdy cover. As the others ransack the bodies I see martial equipment and coins.

"I can sniff out if any of their treasure is enchanted," I announce.

The dead bodies are baking in the sun. It is good that the battle was quick and at distance, I realize as I put the book into my backpack. Had I been in the thick of the melee, I may well have heard his call.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

Garrin offers a small prayer for the misguided men who now lie as food for carrion birds on the desert floor.

When he is finished, he proposes, "Very well, shade it is. Shall we proceed to the shaded side of the pyramid, set up a make-shift camp, explore that side of the structure, and wait until sundown?"

Awaiting answers, the paladin makes his way to Skuth, sprinkles a handful of sand over his corpse, and retrieves the dead man's grappling hook.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#106 Post by dmw71 »

Loche, Pict Thief

Loche, secretly relieved Roan accepted what he had left behind without insult, looks to escape the deadly heat. His attention is immediately captured by the pyramid not far from their current position. "There'll be plenty o' shade there," he says as he begins to walk in its direction. "Feel free tae jyne, if you'd lik'. Or nae."

Whether anyone follows him or not, the Pict makes his way towards the nearest face of the pyramid that offers any shade. Once there, he will begin to pace along its base, looking for any sign of entrance.

Translations:
I'm gonna check out that pyramid,
Feel free to join, if you'd like. Or not.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael looks at the fallen bodies, his decorated forehead wrinkled in thought. He scowls and nods grimly. "When the spirit has left, what remains is meat," he says as he grabs the Cimmerian by the ankles. He heads for the pyramid, dragging the body behind him.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

The nobleman stares with abject horror and revulsion as Arthfael moves along with the corpse in tow. He clears his throat and addresses the man, "Surely it has not come to that, brother. Have faith. Mitra shall provide. Here let us take to the shade and rest. Then, with more level heads, we can explore the pyramid for entry. Perhaps we will find an old cache of seeds left from long ago, or perhaps a rabbit might present itself."

On that note, Garrin will retrieve one of the bows and a few arrows to hunt with later.
Although trained with the bow, Garrin would refrain from using the ranged weapon in combat unless absolutely necessary.
Last edited by Mant72 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Zhym »

"Maybe your Mitra did provide," answers the druid as he continues dragging the barbarian's body. "A rabbit won't feed all of us."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

"Not 'My Mitra'...All is Mitra, brother, and I will be sure to share all rabbits that make their way into my gloves."

Garrin gathers all of the cloth and supplies he collected to make the shade for Goniza then proceeds to make his way to the shade of the Great Pyramid.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Inferno »

The adventure continues in... Chapter 2: Pyramid of the Dead.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun