Chapter 8: Necropolis of Eternity

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 8: Necropolis of Eternity

#221 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Xorzen snaps out of his temporary funk from drinking the black water along with the brave, if not somewhat reckless Pict thief. After hearing the skulls invite them into their ranks, he decides that is enough experimentation with the unknown.

He is about to exit the tomb when he hears a familiar voice from above. Checking the area where the talking skulls appeared one last time, he leaves, with or without Loche. Once he sees his old comrade has come to join them, he wonders if the black water is still making him hallucinate.

"Soruk? Is that really thow, my huge brother? How is it that you came to find us in here?"

Seeing that the others were already waiting for him, he decides to make the introductions as they move forth again, catching his friend up as they move along.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Inferno »

DM:

With the patience of eternity, the whispering skulls of the bone crypt fall silent as Arthfael, Loche and Xorzen leave them to rejoin the others.

Near the open door in the center of the eastern wall, Xorzen is reunited with gigantic Soruk, holy warrior and brother of Horuk.
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Urson »

Zahra

Hearing the discussion, Zahra turns so that she can see events in the main room. She bristles visibly at the sight of the hawk-helmeted man, but says nothing. She nods toward the new arrival, then turns back to watching the unexplored corridor.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Soruk

"Xorzen, my Brother! I am glad to find you." He greets Xorzen by clasping arms. He then lowers his head a bit and lowers his voice. "Xorzen. Art thou well? How are the outlanders treating you? And how came you to have the others in your group?"

Soruk stands back straight and resumes a normal voice. "Ill tidings, Brother. We have been set upon by all matter of horrors. Four of our own have fallen in battle. Uthoth, Sekhmet, and Sutekh have all withdrawn and refuse aid. In a desperate gamble, Ghorom hath decided to take control of the corridor and lock it to secure our flank. I hath been sent to locate the outlanders and lend aid to their, now our, task."

Soruk includes the entire party in the conversation. "I hath brought foodstuffs, water, and healing. Please, allow me to assist thou all in this most dire and urgent quest."

"As to how I came to find you, Brother." Soruk laughs and continues "Thou hast not tread quietly. Thine own footsteps are marked in blood. I simply followed the eyes of the jackals to you."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri could not be more surprised at the arrival of Soruk, but you wouldn't know it by looking. He puts his hands together and nods in the newcomer's direction. "Soruk, I'm Kiri. We defeated these undead, but our barbarian acquaintance, Roan, was killed in the process. He seemed ok with it, though, dying in battle and all that. That's him in the fire." He points behind him to the eastern door. "Just now we're preparing to peek around in there, see where it leads. You wanna come with?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#226 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Xorzen replies.

"Your news is ill tidings, brother Soruk, but it doesn't make me less glad that you are here with us now. We must persevere in our new goal to rid our people of this travesty."

"The outlanders have been quite helpful, and I believe their intentions to be true. Our own adversaries have even been a boon to the group, though I still can't bring myself to trust them completely yet. I suppose your latest news suggests that we must all either succeed, together, or have no home to return to."

"In any case, we should get on with the mission at hand as soon as everyone is healed and ready."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Soruk

“I am most glad to hear that, Xorzen. If ye speak well of them, then they be good with me. “

He turns to Kiri. “I am most sorry for your loss of companion, Sir. He is dining with his god now, I think.”

Soruk stretches his long frame and prepares. “Let us make haste. The denizens of the deep will not kill themselves!”

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by ravenn4544 »

Amethu studies the new arrival but makes no action. Eager to advance further into the pyramid.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#229 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Mako bows to Soruk which is inline to customary greetings in his eastern culture. "Greetings Soruk. I'm Mako. It is an honor to have you among us."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Inferno »

The Hall of Heroes (31), Fourth Tier of the Great Pyramid
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Three. Midday. 15th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

Soruk of Osorus brings dire news of open warfare in the pyramid tiers above. As bidden by Ghorom the Elder, he joins the explorers in their increasingly urgent quest against foul Zargoth.

Resolute, they continue onward, advancing down a hallway older than time imaginable.

Surrounded on all sides by depictions of gods and pharaohs from across ages unfathomed, they follow the timeless passageway south.

Zahra's torch parts the ancient shadows before them as they walk deeper into the labyrinthine tombs. She and Soruk detect a slight downward slope in this corridor of their distant ancestors.

Suddenly, at the edge of the light, a door emerges from the receding darkness.

Actions?

Map Detail:

Lit areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Map:

PC Status:
  • Amethu: Verulian Grand Magus Cleric/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 6/10, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl
    Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 11/17, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 3/4 2nd lvl and 1/2 3rd lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 4(2), HP: 15/18, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 6/7, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 18/18, Torch
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7(5), HP: 6/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, Light spell
    Soruk: Verulian Osoran Cleric/Fighter 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 9/9, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, Torch
    Xorzen: Verulian Osoran Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 8, HP: 12/12
    Zahra: Verulian Amazon Fighter 2: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 13/16, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (All except Amethu and Zahra): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#231 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin stops upon seeing the door. He looks over at Loche, indicating the door. "Do you perceive any traps, my friend?"
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#232 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Loche checks the new door for traps.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by ravenn4544 »

Amethu checks himself - pockets, components, weapons, and runs through his spells in his mind - and follows the group into the unknown.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#234 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Xorzen looks closely at the walls, floor, and ceiling as the group slowly makes its way towards the door. He knows this place might be full of secrets and he doesn't want to miss anything important due to lack of effort on his part.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by ChubbyPixie »

”So many doors in this place,” says Kiri. ”I have to admit, I’m a completionist. We must remember all the doors so we can go back and explore them. There could be scrolls behind all of them!” He taps the scroll case hanging from his belt to make his point. ”Or genie bottles. ...or those mystical weapons we’re looking for,” he adds.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Urson »

Zahra
When Kiri makes his comment about doors, Zahra snorts. ...Or grim, painful death.

The amazon moves carefully past this new door, and stops about 10' onward, providing security for anyone tinkering with the door. Her attention is focused on the corridor as it continues onward. She waits, mace in hand.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#237 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Mako stands behind Loche to light up the hallway to aid his investigation of the door.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Soruk

Interested in observing the methods of the group, Soruk walks halfway between the door and Zahra. "This path trends downwards if I'm not mistaken."

He watches both the corridor and the group actions at the door.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Inferno »

Fourth Tier of the Great Pyramid
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Three. Midday. 15th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

The explorers press onward, delving deeper into the catacombs of the ancients.

Xorzen of Osorus scans the gilded stone surfaces for traps and secret passages and finds only hieroglyphs that venerate the pharaoh Xuthalhotep, his family, his court and his servants, all of whom were interred here millennia ago in preparation for life everlasting in the world beyond this one. Woe to thee that wouldst dare disturb their eternal slumber, Xorzen reads.

Loche the thief, Mako the conjurer, Soruk the warrior-priest, and Zahra the amazon advance with torches and sorcerous illumination upon the newly discovered door.

Before they reach it, Loche suddenly feels a floor tile drop a half-inch beneath his heel.

Instantly, behind them all, comes the deep bass rumble of stone on stone, and a dawning realization.

The megalithic wall behind them opens like a door, unleashing a titanic spherical boulder that rolls down the hallway, barreling directly towards the explorers!

Actions?!

Map Detail:

Lit areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Map:

Cutaway View of Hallway:

PC Status:
  • Amethu: Verulian Grand Magus Cleric/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 6/10, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl
    Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 11/17, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 3/4 2nd lvl and 1/2 3rd lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 4(2), HP: 15/18, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 6/7, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 18/18, Torch
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7(5), HP: 6/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, Light spell
    Soruk: Verulian Osoran Cleric/Fighter 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 9/9, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, Torch
    Xorzen: Verulian Osoran Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 8, HP: 12/12
    Zahra: Verulian Amazon Fighter 2: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 13/16, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (All except Amethu and Zahra): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael, still standing right next to the hallway back to the Hall of Heroes, ducks back into that hallway.

Dex check (9): [1d20] = 2
Last edited by Zhym on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”